main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

FF-UK: Scotland Meet - Glasgow (4th November 2006)

Discussion in 'Archive: Scotland' started by timbolton, Aug 8, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ahh that sucks duder, ack, there will be other meets, I'll be more than happy to go along to more meets in glasgow, and/or edinburgh to keep the Scottish Fan Force spirit alive. I'll also be able, on some occasions to bring along test footage and possibly a trailer (by end of December) of our fan films we're currently working on for all to see :)

Would be nice to do a community project as well, but I guess something that could go ahead or not, but could be great fun :)

Jonny

2. DARTH_DONALD

DARTH_DONALD Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 3, 2005
    for sure id be up for more meetings, just as long as i can bring my light saber after all never know who we could run into [face_laugh] !!!!
    oh and john would love to see a trailer or somethin of your fan flick, heck may inspire me to get off my fat bottom and get MINE started!!!

3. Hey Don, hehe, we'll, I hope to have something within the next few months, so I'll keep these boards up to date on whats going on. I'll not be bak on our film until next week, got some stuff on, looking forward to getting back into the project, has been great so far. Would love to help you with yours man, we'll have a chat about it when we manage to get a meeting that suits your busy schedule :)

Hope more people can come to the meet in November, would love to have you all there :)

Jonny :D

4. clone-warrior

clone-warrior Jedi Youngling

Dec 12, 2000
    I think I may be able to make an appearance........ crawls out from behind rock

5. timbolton

timbolton Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 14, 2003
    Most excellent :D

I hope to be free this weekend to work out some sort of plan for the meet, keep ya fingers crossed ;)

6. timbolton

Mar 14, 2003
    Don't worry, I haven't forgotten you :)
    Is everyone still ok to meet?
    Where will the best place to be?

I have train and hotel booked now, will post on Sunday/Monday places we maybe can visit, and work out what to go to and what to drop. Is anyone up for two days? I am staying till Monday, and I'll go to Glasgow Green on Sunday to see the bonfire night celebration :D

7. Meriwyn

Meriwyn Former RSA star 4

Mar 22, 2002
    Is the Meeting House Pub still there on George Square? That's a great place.

8. JED1

JED1 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 16, 1998
    I should still be ok, Tim but not for the bonfire thing, far too may neds (chavs)acting up for my liking! I suggest meeting at Central station and taking it from there!

Meri, I don't know that pub, I'll need to look out for it. :)

9. MrDankDonk

MrDankDonk Jedi Master star 4

Mar 28, 2001
    Counting House is a monstrous big place...

but if ye get there at the right time, there are wee rooms off in the corners, some with grand views of George Square, that would suit yir porpoises.

10. JED1

Dec 16, 1998
    Ah, Ha! but what about the dolphins? :p

11. timbolton

Mar 14, 2003
    Last time I heard, they were flippin' happy too ;)

12. timbolton

Mar 14, 2003
    Let's get the show on the road ...

1. What time do you want to meet up on Saturday - 11am, 12pm or some other time? I can make any time, since I'll be in Glasgow from Friday night.

2. Itinerary
    a) Places to go/see
    Saturday 4th
    George Square
    Glasgow Cathedral
    St. Mungo Museum

Maybe see some of Charles Rennie Mackintosh and Alexander "The Greek" Thomson's work?

Comic shops we could visit (dependant on time)

A1 Comics
    31-35 Parnie Street, Glasgow,G1 5RJ
    Mon-Sat 10am - 6.00pm
    Sun noon - 5.00pm
    Tel/Fax: 0141 552 6692

City Centre Comics
    51 Parnie Street, Glasgow G1 5LU
    Tues-Sat 10-5 (back)
    0141 552 2208

Forbidden Planet (FPI)
    168 Buchanan Street, Glasgow G1 2LW
    Mon-Sat 10-5.30; Sun 12-5 (imp, back, STO, s-p, ind, u/g, merch)
    0141 331 1215

Futureshock
    200 Woodlands Road, Glasgow, G3 6LN
    0141-353 3975

Kapow!
    28 Allison Street, Govanhill, Glasgow G42 8NN (off Pollokshaws Rd)
    Tues-Sat 11-6 (buy and sell back, gn, ind, mags, videos, DVDs, new and second-hand books, merch)
    0141 4241600

Red Hot Comics
    Block D Unit 7, Glenwood Business Park, Glenwood Place, Glasgow G45 9UH
    Mon-Sat 11.30-5.30; Sun 12-5 (imp, back, gn, tpbk, STO, ind, prl, CCG, merch)
    0141 630 0049

Will try to get a map of all the locations above asap.

Sunday 5th
    People's Palace
    Bonfire night at Glasgow Green

b) Places to eat/drink

Counting House
    Other Suggestions?
    What type of food would people like to go for? I just need vegetarian, but as for type I like most types of food - Indian, Italian, Chinese, etc

c) Evening (Sat/Sun)

Suggestions?

Finally, with two weeks to go, who is a definite, who is a maybe? Who needs my moby no - if you can't find us on the day, this will be important.

1. timbolton

13. Tone

Tone Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 17, 2005
    I'm a definite for the Saturday evening.
    I would recommend Dimaggios for dinner, or China Buffet King, both in the city centre.

14. timbolton

Mar 14, 2003
    Found Dimaggios (City Centre) - http://www.dimaggios.co.uk/_restaurants/_city.html

Checking up on China Buffet King ...

15. I'll be a definate bud, sounds like a crackin line up. There is also a pub called the Phoenix just at Queen Street station which is nice, great food, not sure what there is for vegitarians, but there is vegitarian food on the menu :)

J

16. JED1

Dec 16, 1998
    A great thing to do is also the bus tour which leaves from George Square and passes all the sights that Tim mentioned. great value too!

17. MrDankDonk

MrDankDonk Jedi Master star 4

Mar 28, 2001
    "Futureshock
    200 Woodlands Road, Glasgow, G3 6LN

Kapow!
    28 Allison Street, Govanhill, Glasgow G42 8NN (off Pollokshaws Rd)

Red Hot Comics
    Block D Unit 7, Glenwood Business Park, Glenwood Place, Glasgow G45 9UH "

are all off the beaten track a wee bit.... and not particualrly worth the journey either

the various Parnie St establishments and Forbidden Planet are all you need comics/toys wise.

St Mungos museum?

what the fudge is that?

Kelvingrove Museum is the one to visit ? newly refurbished, Spitfire hanging from the ceiling, biggest collection of suits of armour and samurai stuff in Europe, dinosaur bones, and right next to the west end, the park, the university and several smashing curry houses. And its on the route of the 'hop on-hop off' bus tours.

18. Meriwyn

Meriwyn Former RSA star 4

Mar 22, 2002
    Counting House! That's it!! I got the name wrong. Mr. DD is right, if you get some tables off to the side by the windows, it's a great view and out of the way of the masses.

19. timbolton

Mar 14, 2003
    St Mungo's is right next to the Cathedral Dank, it's a museum of religious art, quite good (this coming from an agnostic).

Kelvingrove Museum - think I have been there and enjoyed it, but on your advice we can definitely add to the itinerary :D My only trip to Glasgow was a bit of a flying visit tbh, so will be good to see it at a slower pace.

At the end of the day, it's what the FF-UK Scotland members want to do on their first meet, the above is all ideas/guidelines from someone who doesn't live or know Glasgow, so if there are places you think your members will be cool to see, then post em please :D

Also, think a relaxing social meet would be the best way for members to get to know one another and see how your group fits. I'll advertise on other forums for this, see if we can get some more people attending.

Wish you could be there Meri :( Maybe we can do this again or Edinburgh for after CE Meri? I should be totally off work at that point, since it'll be into the Summer hols (have to find summer work after CE).

20. JED1

Dec 16, 1998
    I feel the more social aspect is the best bet, you know sitting down over lunch and a coffee (or something stronger) chatting, getting to know each other at least in the beginning. We could then take it from there! Views?

21. timbolton

Mar 14, 2003
    That sounds great, and I can't stress any more, this is your (as in FF-UK Scotland) meet, and you should do what you feel is best. I'm along to take part and just meet you all :)

22. timbolton

Mar 14, 2003
    Forgot to add ...

Time of meet? Location?

23. Hey Tim,

I'll be avaliable from 11am if you want to meet in George Square beside the centre Statue?

Jonny

24. timbolton

Mar 14, 2003
    That's cool for me Jonny, I am guessing that statue will be ... well ... central lol?

25. Oh yes......once you see it, you wont miss it :p

J

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.