FFC Banner Contest - CONGRATS TO Tyi-Maet_Nefer OUR Winner! YAY!!!

Discussion in 'FanForce Community' started by strawbary, Dec 6, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. strawbary Syracuse CR, RSA Emeritus

star 5
    finally!!!

Our Banner Contest as promised!!!!! =D=

Before All the rules are laid out, just remember to be creative and have fun! Thats what its all about. I like to think that in the FFC we can express ourselves, let our hair down and have fun, this is just another avenue to do so :)
    So Good luck to everyone!

Take a look around the the different forums to get ideas or a feel for whats been done... or better yet what hasnt been done yet ;)
    any questions feel free to PM me :)

And so it begins......................

FFC Banner Contest

We are taking submissions for a banner for the FFC Forum. We are looking for TWO type of banners:

You may submit one or both -
    A Regular Banner - This will obviously be the main banner.

Holiday Banner - This would be the banner we would rotate during the holiday season. Since the next holiday around the corner aside from xmas is Valentines day. We would ask for one focused on that holiday.
    As each holiday approaches we will have a contest for that holiday banner. :)

This is your community so be creative and remember it will represent the FFC forum.

We also encourage that if you decide to create your own stylesheet, be sure to use plenty of color.
    We are taking submissions from Dec 6th to Jan 6th
    There will be only ONE winner. The Final 3 banners will be chosen from a panel of moderators in the OFH
    and will then be posted here in the FFC for everyone to vote on. It will be applied to the FFC Forum as soon as a winner is announced.

Final entries have to be sent to Jedi_Dajuan via PM

To see a tutorial on how to make a Banner, please go to This Thread

Here's the stuff you'll need:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Main banner image (foreground) - 764 x 110

Main Background image - 764 x 110

Curve image - 69 x 69

Side Bar image - 32 x 465

Left and Right adholders - 74 x 58

Colorful Stylesheet

Please post your banner entries as one image or as separate elements (see below):

FFC Forums Banner (all elements)

Banner (foreground)

Curve

Sidebar

Background

Ad Holder left

Ad Holder right
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Rules:

fanForce title should be visible.
    The Fanforce Comms title should also be visible.

The User who creates the winning banner will receive VIPship, Colors & Title for 1 month.

GOOD LUCK EVERYONE!!!!!

2. TheBoogieMan Manager Emeritus

star 6
    While I am very pleased that this comp is being run, and should inject some enthusiasm into the forum, I have to say that gabe's current banner is still the best on the entire boards and I will be sad to see it go. Is it possible to include it into the competition, or would that just be defeating the point?
  3. Doc_Bev Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    I was kind of surprised to see this contest as I too really like the current banner. The only think I think it's missing is the sidebar.

~Doc_Bev
  4. strawbary Syracuse CR, RSA Emeritus

star 5
    I announced earlier there was a banner contest in the works and no one said anything LOL *sighs*

I like the banner too. Perhaps we can get entries for holiday banners or seasonal or even perhaps a rotating banner were we change the look of the forum from time to time. As much as I like this banner too... after awhile everyone wants a new one.

Should we vote on whether we need a new banner then?

5. BrotherHalo RSA Emeritus and Heckler

star 5
    It's just my two creds, but since we are trying to get the FFC to take off, then a new look will help. Especially if it's inspired by one of the regulars here.

Perhaps depending on number of entries, we could have the current banner as one of the choices?
  6. Jedi_Dajuan Admin: FanForce and Games

Administrator
    star 6
    Why not just have some rotating banners? I'm happy to put as many up as you want and rotate them as often as you want. Holiday ones would be cool too, we haven't had any new holiday banners in a while.
  7. strawbary Syracuse CR, RSA Emeritus

star 5
    Thats why I suggested the rotating banners idea I figure we need variety thru out the year ;)
  8. Skiara ~• Manager WNU •~ ~• RSA FFC •~

Manager
    star 10
    The banner contest is a really great idea, although I have to admit that it is a bit too early. It seems I have missed your post about the contest earlier. Sorry. [face_blush]

But nevertheless I would like to let you know about my thoughts... In my view it isn't a good idea to start a contest and then discussing about various points of it. I mean, these discussions start confusions about if there will be a change, which banners can be send in and so on.

I really appreciate that you talk with us and listen to our opinion. But wouldn't it be better to speak with us first (if you want to of course) and then decide about anything than the other way around? Or in this case, just saying that you have decided this way? This way there would be less discussion and you can tell us that you have thought about it and have decided to do it this way.

I hope I didn't tread on someones toes. It's just a suggestion. :) I really (truly) love that you like to listen to our opinions and it's really great to see all your efforts for this board. :)
  9. TheBoogieMan Manager Emeritus

star 6
    Yes. I think the problem was that we were talking about a banner contest before we had a banner of our own, and we still had the old one. To be perfectly honest, my recommendation would be to hold this banner comp, but in two or three months time. :)
  10. strawbary Syracuse CR, RSA Emeritus

star 5
    I started the contest with the intention to NOT discuss various points on it because I was under the impression everyone was set on having a new banner. I thought this one was a temp solution. I may have misunderstood.

We as RSa's are always open to suggestions and I kept the line of discussion open here since there seemed to be some confusion. Normally we do not start a contest then say ok what can we change? Once we start it the rules are pretty clear.

In this instance it was done since we are trying to get the forum off to a productive start and we are trying to get everyones input.

I am going to cancel the banner contest and lock the thread and until someone complains about getting tired of this one Im leaving it alone. LOL

Again I thought this was one of the changes everyone wanted to make.

Sorry for any confusion
    :p
  11. MacCaffrey VIP

star 9
    I think this contest is a good idea and I agree with every one that the current banner is excellent, to have some banners to change to, would be similar great.
    As Dajuan already said a banner rotation was never denied.

I want you to remember the time span we speak about. One Months submission time, maybe one or two weeks of deciding time. So it almost two months.

In my opinion the current banner should be the one we always can come back to, since it is great.
  12. strawbary Syracuse CR, RSA Emeritus

star 5
    After much discussion, per GSA request I am keeping this contest open with a few changes please see original post for that.

Basically we will be looking for 2 types of banners here. A holiday banner and a Regular banner. Yes to answer your question the current banner may enter the contest.

So please submit either a regular banner or holiday one whichever suits your interest. Good luck to everyone!
  13. Skiara ~• Manager WNU •~ ~• RSA FFC •~

Manager
    star 10
    Thanks for your post and its clarification. That's all I wanted. :)

Good luck everyone! [face_good_luck]
  14. TheBoogieMan Manager Emeritus

star 6
    Ah yes, Flo, I'd forgotten about how long the contest would be running for. My bad!

Alright, thanks for the clarification, and the very best of luck to all involved! :)
  15. Tyi-Maet_Nefer Force Ghost

star 6
    Well, hello all. :)
    A quick story short, while I was attempting to create a banner for my local FanForce, I accidentally collected a whole bunch of planet pictures. Unfortunately, they were useless for me. But then I remembered the current planet banner in FFC, and this competition I had noticed.

So... I threw them together, ate a lamington, and it's come about. Here, it seems, is the first regular banner entry in this thread: :D

Main page
    Thread page

Yes, before you ask, that is a purposeful style. :)

I would just like to say a massive thanks to Sai-Mera_Saa for creating the wonderful stylesheet, seeing as I suck at them. Thanks, mate. [:D]

As always, comments, criticism, suggestions, compliments, hate mail... it's all welcome. ;)
  16. TheBoogieMan Manager Emeritus

star 6
    Tyi, fantastic job, mate! :D Quick, too.

My only suggestions would be to try and extend the planet down below the curve further so it doesn't just cut off. Also, the background for the usernames looks a little shabby, even if it is a cool textured back.

Otherwise, fantastic job! I'd be perfectly happy with this as a replacement for gabe's beauty up there currently.
  17. Tyi-Maet_Nefer Force Ghost

star 6
    Thanks for the comments, moldy cheese. At least I can now see who it is. :p

8-} j/k

Good to see someone cares about the banner, as suggestion are cool. The problem with the planet below the curve is, that, well, there is no more planet. I'll look into making more, although I don't know how successful I'll be.

Do you think the username background is a bit sharp? As in, boxy? [face_laugh] Ah well. That's easy to change.
  18. TheBoogieMan Manager Emeritus

star 6
    Ah, surely it would be easy enough to clone some planet further down? It isn't exactly detailed in its texture so you could even have a go at painting your own. :p

And as for the username backing, I just don't like the texture itself. The blue . . . it looks like someone has done a poor job with a spray can. Sorry, but you did ask me what was wrong. :p

Anyway, as I already said, other than that it is fantastic. My applause, good sir.
  19. Tyi-Maet_Nefer Force Ghost

star 6
    Spray can! Ha! Nice one. :D

Yes, I know, that's the whole style. None of it is detailed, it's very smoothy (what a brilliant description :rolleyes:). :p

People will now start asking if they can have a drink of it. [face_whistling]

:p

Thanks.
  20. Skiara ~• Manager WNU •~ ~• RSA FFC •~

Manager
    star 10
    Ah, this was what you meant! :D

Congrats. Good work! :)

But if I can suggest something, how about putting the day-side of the planets into the same direction (left or middle or right)? And how about some smaller planets so you can see that they are in different distances?

:)
  21. Tyi-Maet_Nefer Force Ghost

star 6
    'Tis a pleasure to hear the suggestions. :)

After tomorrow, I'll get back to the banner and have some more fiddles with it. Thanks for looking at my amateur?but fun?banner! :D
  22. MacCaffrey VIP

star 9
    Very good start! :)
    Thank you for being so heroic and being the first! :D
  23. strawbary Syracuse CR, RSA Emeritus

star 5
    Just up'ing this to remind everyone the deadline is almost here :)

Thanks to everyone who were brave enough to submit something :)

Not sure if everyone knows or not but I am on vaca till after the new year which is why I havent been in here.

:)
  24. Tyi-Maet_Nefer Force Ghost

star 6
    I'm surprised no-one has taken the plunge yet. (I don't count :p) At least I had fun with mine.

And yeah, with mine, I was going to have a go improving it up to a level remotely acceptable with the aspects mentioned, but have been really busy as of late (as in, having fun busy :p). Which means I never got to it before, and, I would now, but I'm leaving for around two weeks in approximately three days. So... before the deadline I won't be able to do much more. :( I could do stuff after, but that's not much use [face_laugh] :p

I don't know what you'd do with one entry, but it doesn't bother me at all?I had fun, that's the number one thing that counts. :) Cheers. :)
  25. strawbary Syracuse CR, RSA Emeritus

star 5
    Thanks so much for being brave and submitting an entry. There a re a few days left if anyone still would like to submit something :)
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.