main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

FFE Meet 2009

Discussion in 'Europe General Archive' started by MsLanna, Jun 10, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MsLanna

MsLanna Jedi Master star 6

Jul 8, 2005
    Okay, let's start planning. Except, if eating pizza in my room does not count as FFE Meet, we'd need one for this year first.:p

In that case I'd suggest Sweden because it will soon have Star Wars - The Exhibition in an untypable town. And psychology says that many of us will be more likely to come if there's an SW event involved in the meeting. [face_batting]

Other suggestions are very welcome, of course. Let's get this planned!:D

2. Obi Anne

Obi Anne Celebration Mistress of Ceremonies star 8 Staff Member Manager

Nov 4, 1998
    It would be great to have it in Sweden again, the problem is that the exhibit is in Örnsköldsvik. (If you want to pronounce it ask Senny about the sk-sound). It's quite expensive and not that easy to get there even for a Swede. The trains doesn't go there so it's either by car or by air, and the airport is so small that there are few flights and those are expensive.

I also think it would be better to plan something bigger for 2009 and make it good than trying to make some last minute arrangements for this summer.

3. TwiLekJedi

TwiLekJedi Pretty Ex-Mod star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 14, 2001
    7! [face_worried]

strange coincidence, I looked at 05's Sweden pictures again [face_love] Favorite EFFM yet. Screw Berlin, forget Pizza in Mel's room, never mention Paris and London (2) only had the unfair advantage of a Celebration

Whatever happened to Hong Kong anyway? :p
    Istanbul? I may or may not brush up on my Turkish :p

4. Skiara

Skiara ~• RSA FFC •~ star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 5, 2002
    Although we don't have many active FF in the south, I would love to have a EFFM there. Would it be possible to meet in a not-official-FF country? [face_blush]

But if that gets denied, I would suggest Croatia, which would be in the south, or BeNeLux or Denmark. :)

5. MsLanna

Jul 8, 2005
    If the representatives of the mentioned FFs would please speak up?[face_batting]

6. MARCOLAS

MARCOLAS FF France North CR - FanForce Logo Designer star 6

Apr 3, 2001
    Hummm... Brussels is cool. (Cologne too ;))

7. Celebrion

Celebrion Jedi Youngling star 3

Sep 27, 2005
    I'd be very happy if we'd have it in Sweden! Even though, as Obi Anne said, Örnsköldsvik is quite expensive to get to...
    Denmark or BeNeLux might even be cheaper...
    If we don't do it in conjunction with the exhibition, I'd rather see we made a better planned event for next year or in the autumn instead.

8. Enji

Enji Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 14, 2002
    Senny, I promise to host the meet in Hong Kong the moment I win a fortune on the lottery! ;)

I'd love to attend a meet in 2009, wherever it is. It's been way too long since I met you guys. [:D]

9. TwiLekJedi

Jun 14, 2001
    We've just been in Brussels :p Though there's plenty of stuff we didn't see, but that town is just crazy 8-}
    Nice view from the Palace of Justice (I believe) though :)

10. MsLanna

Jul 8, 2005
    I'll return to Brussels only without car.[face_not_talking]
    And some stormie armour to cross the streets in...

Say, should I have told the FFUK, too?:oops:

11. Enji

May 14, 2002
    I'd love to go to Brussels... I used to live there and I haven't been in back in many years. Only bad thing about it is that it often rains and there are far too many demonstrations all the time. (Well, I did live next to the Council biulding... ;))

Oh, and car in Brussels... it takes a while to learn how to get around. And the people can't drive either. You have to be slightly suicidal. And have some really good insurance. ;)

12. Darth_Pyross

Darth_Pyross Jedi Youngling star 1

May 8, 2005
    Agreed! :)

Seriously, it would be very nice to have a meeting with the view of the Bosphorus, and besides, Turkey needs to have an international SW fan event.

13. Deciple_of_Malak

Deciple_of_Malak Jedi Master star 4

Jul 10, 2005
    Wether I can go or not depends on my tution fees for the next year (which will change apparently) and how much money I manage to earn this summer. I would like to go becaouse I managed to miss out on all meetings, even Celebration. :(

But if I can choose, it'd be Brussels.

14. Cobranaconda

Cobranaconda Jedi Grand Master star 7

Mar 3, 2004
    I could probably do anywhere in Europe rather easily, but Belgium seems boring. If it's BeNeLux, I'd prefer Amsterdam or Eindhoven, or something. Turkey might be fun, but I'd be up for somewhere completely odd and not-even-attempted-to-start-a-FF like Estonia, Iceland or Russia.

I would say Belarus, but we'd probably be deported :p

15. TwiLekJedi

Jun 14, 2001
    I haven't actually ever been to Amsterdam.

16. Enji

May 14, 2002
    I have. It's nice. Except if you arrive in the middle of the night in a car, and discover that all the streets are one-way and there's nowhere to park and you can't find the hotel and when you finally find it you can't get to it because you happen to be on a one-way street heading AWAY from it and when you manage to find a street that's going the opposite direction it doesn't pass the hotel and you go crazy and drive into a canal.

(Okay, that last thing never happened.)

17. Cobranaconda

Cobranaconda Jedi Grand Master star 7

Mar 3, 2004
    Ooh, I know. Let's annoy Maria and have one in Czech Republic or Slovakia :p

18. Obi Anne

Obi Anne Celebration Mistress of Ceremonies star 8 Staff Member Manager

Nov 4, 1998
    Prague could be nice, I've only driven through it. And from at least a Swedish perspective, the beer is cheap.

19. MsLanna

Jul 8, 2005
    Prague is a good idea.[face_mischief]

Let's put it aound the 31th of October, too, and I can nerd out while being on a Horror Punk Festival.:D :-B [face_dancing] 8-}

20. TwiLekJedi

Jun 14, 2001
    I might be in Prague in September or so :p

21. Sithy_

Sithy_ Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 23, 2008
    Netherlands would be fun since we've never hosted anything big before.
    I do think, though, that if people agree on NL, we should not go to Amsterdam. In my opinion, there are far nicer cities, and it's overrated and not that fun anyway. Utrecht is far better suited. It's the most central city, and you can take several trains from Schiphol to it. The trains from Germany also stop there. Plus it has an awesome central meeting point. It's pretty much the easiest city to get to. (Eindhoven is hard to get to, especially if you come from the north. Plus the city isn't that..nice IMHO)

But to be honest I'd also totally root for Groningen, where I live, but the drawback on that is that it's very, very far up north (2.5 hour trainride from Schiphol.) The pro, though, would be that the city is big but with the attitude of a small town. Plus a regular tourist would not generally go there (except the Germans, straight road from Bremen IIRC) and it has a lot of fun spots. And I'd be able to take on 3 to 5 people to sleep at my place, saving you the costs of a hotel. I am sure my housemates don't mind a few sleepers in the kitchen and hallway, either.

Allow me to make a pro/cons thing xD Glee.

Utrecht
    pros:

Central city, very easy to reach by train and car
    Enough things to do, very funny "university museum" which is quite interesting as well (the children's departement is
    Supposedly okay hotels

cons:
    everyone will have to book a hotel because I don't think any BeNeLux members live there
    Not as central for those coming from Germany and other countries nearby (if you go by car)

Groningen
    pros:

I can take on quite a few people to sleep at my place
    City is very bus friendly, you can get anywhere by bus
    We'll be able to go on trips with the Qliner (bus) as well, like to the Emmen Zoo
    Airport nearby, though I am not sure how many flights go there.
    Easy to reach from Germany

cons:
    Far up north, so quite a train ride from Schiphol *
    Did I mention far up north? This goes for the people living in NL as well. Isolated.
    City centre does not allow cars. You'd have to park at the Ikea (=free) and get the bus to the city centre (1 euro if after 9 AM) You can also park within the city, but it's expensive so I recommend parking at Ikea if possible.

* The train ride is relatively long, though this depends greatly on your opinion on long train rides. The good thing is you will not have to change trains, hurray :p

22. Enji

May 14, 2002
    Honestly, for me a meeting is 99% meeting people, so I don't really care where it is. I'd be happy in a parking lot as long as I get to meet you guys. ;)

That said, I would prefer a place that is pretty easy to get to. I'm lazy. Prague sounds really nice to me, since I've only heard good about the place and I've never been to the Czech Republic.

23. Skiara

Skiara ~• RSA FFC •~ star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 5, 2002
    Yep, I completely agree with Nina. :)
    So I would just prefer a cheap place. It would be good to have a high chance of sunshine, so we can do stuff outside (even if it is sitting and talking in a park or so). :)

Ok, I have to admit that the sunshine aspect is also because of my love of being outside and so my love of sunny weather. [face_blush]

24. Deciple_of_Malak

Deciple_of_Malak Jedi Master star 4

Jul 10, 2005
    Prague has awesome beer! :D

25. MsLanna

Jul 8, 2005
    Well, I'd vote for Prague, Karkow, and anything I can reach by car.:D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.