main
side
curve
  1. Welcome, Guest

Upcoming events:

Star Wars: Andor - Disney + - 21st September

2. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

FF:NZ FFNZ Collectors Anonymous

Discussion in 'Oceania Discussion Boards' started by Chansplace, Jan 19, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chansplace

Chansplace Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 2, 2001
    Fo those of you who have been snagged by this awful (or wonderful, depending on which way you look at it) addiction, this thread is for you. Now you can discuss openly your collecting habits with others like yourself.

Okay, I'll start.
    I used to be one of those people who collected every figure. I mean every figure, including variations and exclusives, I had to have them all. somehow I've weaned myself away from that. I'm still tempted every now and then to get a figure just because I see it on the shelf and it's one I don't already have, but with all the new figures out (plus the ones that never make it to NZ) I just pick up the pretty ones :)

Who would like to go next?

2. SithForceLord

SithForceLord Jedi Master star 6

Jul 2, 2001
    Hi, My name's Mark. [face_blush] I've become... obsessed, some might say, with Lord of the Rings things. Figures, puzzles, games, posters, and now sculptures. :(

My mother introduced me to LOTR by telling my I should read the book. Then when the first wave of figures came out mum bought me a couple, but that wasn't enough. I had to have *every* figure.

Now, if I walk down the street, or go into a shop, if I see something with Lord of the Rings characters or just the words, I am over-come by a force and urge to purchase.

Just recently I bought two Movie posters for $100. Then today I went back and bought a Fellowship of the Ring Movie Standee for $30! I don't know why. I have no room for it and all the swords are bent and busted. Perhaps I thought I might be able to mend it, I'm not sure.

If I look around my room right now what can I see?

A 14 inch Tree beard figure.
    A Moria Orc bust sculpture.
    Argonath Book end statues.
    LOTR DVD's; 4 of them.
    The Trilogy (Books)
    5 packs of LOTR playing cards.
    A life size Gandalf Standee
    A few LOTR books on my desk. (making of movie trilogy etc)

and even on my finger I have a LOTR sterling silver Ring.

I have roughly $2300 worth of LOTR stuff.

[face_blush]

3. SimplyThrilledHoney

SimplyThrilledHoney Jedi Youngling star 3

May 19, 2002
    ahhh ... obsessions ....

When the first wave of "new" SW figures came out in '95 I vowed I'd buy every figure. I kept pretty true to this aim until '98, when I kinda gave up, and now just buy the figures I like. I got annoyed with Hasbro releasing endless variations of the same figure, and all the almost impossible to get exclusives. I've probably got 100 or so of the new figures, plus maybe 70-80 original figures.

4. Norrad_Roff

Norrad_Roff Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 26, 2001
    Hi, my name is Aaron and I'm a Star Wars collector.

In 1999 a friend of mine and I found shop in Dunedin called "Starworlds" and a web-site called "Brian's Toys". I already had about 75 vintage figures I collected when I was a youngling. From then we had vowed to complete our collections at all costs. //begins blubbering like an idiot// :_|

I have now all the complete vintage figures now except for Yak-face, Blue Snaggletooth, and a vinyl caped Jawa.

With the support of my wife I was able to wean myself off collecting by occaisionally buying the odd EP1 figure here and there and gradually stop altogether.

I felt that my experience helped me learn that having everything isn't everything.

5. Kai_Halicon

Kai_Halicon Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 12, 2002
    "ah, yeah......I'm Reuben......erm....and I'm addicted to Star Wars."

*sigh*

Actually, I'm not too bad now. Figures were never really my forte', but I did have a few of the main charcters from both the '95 series and the TPM comtech chip sets. I've also got a few original Kenner toys including some vehicles and most of my figures still have accessories.

I'm more of a literature fanatic - comics being my main choice. I used to work in Card Crazy on the Shore many years ago and managed to amass a few good comics at American cover prices.

I've bought a couple of the newer AOTC figures but I personally think the majority of smaller figures these days aren't articulated enough. Now GI JOES, they could bend with the best of them.

:D

I used to make a lot of models and have had a go at making a couple of figures from the EU, most notably the Old Republic Jedi Quinlan Vos, which I'll hopefully show some of you someday.

Norrad - have you got any pics posted of your collection? would love to see.

6. ACERIMMERROCKS

ACERIMMERROCKS Jedi Padawan star 4

May 25, 2001
    Hi my name is Keith i first got into SW around 96 when i watch rotj then that xmas i got a damm micromachines playset and after that I brought lots of star wars stuff i have about 2000 CCG about 50 figures enough Micromachine stuff i havent got room to display it. Ive just started getting into the comics. NOw i dont mind the star wars collection my problem is i collect just about evrything after i got the interent i went mad on transformers (thanks to trademe)
    then i started getting dbz figures and lotr ones then warhammer 40k then zoids. thanks to all these purchases know only have a minute amount in my savings when i should have a great deal. Now i ve lost my job ive had to stop buying things which sucks.

P.S. if anyone knows how to get me a job at the warehouse id be pleased

7. Norrad_Roff

Feb 26, 2001
    Kai

Not as yet, but I'm working on it. I hope to have a web-site up around mid-year.

Maybe able to send you pics via e-mail if I can get a hold of a digital camera for a weekend.

8. Buzz-Bumble

Buzz-Bumble Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 27, 2000

Mmmmmm ... Star Wars figures.

Mmmmmm ... Star Wars vehicles.

Mmmmmm ... Star Wars books.

Mmmmmm ... Star Wars comics.

Mmmmmm ... Star Wars games.

Mmmmmm ... Star Wars cards.

Mmmmmm ... Star Wars jigsaws.

Mmmmmm ... Star Wars posters.

Mmmmmm ... Star Wars movies.

Mmmmmm ... Star Wars.

Enough said. :)

9. SithForceLord

Jul 2, 2001
    P.S. if anyone knows how to get me a job at the warehouse id be pleased .

Walk into the store. Go up to a person at either information or a supervisor and say:

"Excuse me. Hi, my name's Keith. I'm 16 and am just wondering if there are any part time jobs available?"

The person will then proceed to converse with in in the chosen topic.

Good luck.

10. ACERIMMERROCKS

May 25, 2001
    thanks for the advice SFL

11. Norrad_Roff

Feb 26, 2001
    You can always count on SFL Ace. He's full of it.

Good advice that is. ;)

12. SithForceLord

Jul 2, 2001
    ;) No worries.

Indeed pictures are required Roff. :)

13. SithForceLord

Jul 2, 2001
    LOL @ TIMING OF TEH POSTS!

14. Norrad_Roff

Feb 26, 2001
    Oh no!!!!

The pressure!!!

:_|

15. Chansplace

Jan 2, 2001
    I was once into Models, made about 20 kitsets in my early days of collecting.

Then I got into the Micro Machines, had to get them all cos they were so cool...

Then I started on the POTF figures. ripping them open, and lining them up on the shelf.

Then I decided it would be cool to keep them carded, so I proceeded to double up on the ones I alrady had...

Then came the Vintage Craze. I discovered that same shop in dunners, 'Starworlds', and suddenly Vintage figures were the thing. I got them all except the rare ones, plus a few vehicles.

then theres the posters, store displays,(including my grand prize E1 DVD display :))
    Diorama making, lego...

...not to mention the various other toys: Transformers, Zoids, Battle Beasts, Dino-riders, GI Joes, Lord of the Rings, Thundercats, MASK, Masters of the Universe, Ninja Turtles and Care Bears...
    Man, I'm nuts.

(did I mention my Episode 1 DVD display stand?)

16. purplebabbit

purplebabbit Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 9, 2002
    Hi, my name's Kristy, and I'm addicted to Star Wars.

I got into SW when I saw EP2. And my bank account has never been the same since. I don't have any rare collectors items, but my favourite things include:

Master Replicas Anakin FX lightsaber
    Riddell Darth Vader Helmet
    EP2 theatre poster and store displays
    150 approx figures

along with all the models, lego, diecast, micromachines, action fleet, games, stickers, cards, puzzles, posters, lightsabers, insider magazines, calenders, t-shirts....

I love Star Wars!!!

17. Darth_Graal

Darth_Graal Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 19, 2001
    Well I'm probably not as much as an addict as the rest of you guys.
    I make star wars models. I'm not sure if its star wars I'm addicted to or just the smell of solvents, paints and adhesives. I currently have a heap of unmade still in plastic star wars kits stashed away and now I can't decide whether to build them or keep them
    I do have a small collection of star wars toys and books and would love to have a collection as impressive as chans but alas for the moment my income does not meet my aspirations........

18. Buzz-Bumble

Nov 27, 2000

Gee look at all the newbies! :D

As I've said before, I saw the original release of "Star Wars" and was hooked from the moment the seemingly neverending Star Destroyer scrolled in from the top. I've been collecting Star Wars stuff of all descriptions ever since, with much of the early stuff being sent from England by my grandmother for birthday and Christmas presents. Now I've got a hugemungous collection of 3 3/4" figures, 12" figures, vehicles, MicroMachines, cards, games, books, magazines, stickers, key rings, calendars, graphics / icons, movies, ... Most of it is stored in the big double wardrobe in the spare room - and that's nearly full!! :)

I even had the idea of starting up a "Star Wars NZ", but didn't know if there would be enough news, etc. to keep it going and then the SWNZ guys beat me to it.

> Master Replicas Anakin FX lightsaber
    Riddell Darth Vader Helmet

Good grief, now wonder your bank account isn't the same ... they're EXPENSIVE!! :eek:

There's a nice life-size Yoda on the SWNZ website I wouldn't mind getting, but that too is expensive ... plus you need to have room for it. :(

19. Lil_Lisa

Lil_Lisa Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 28, 2001
    Wow, I'd *love* to get a Master Replica lightsaber, but I don't love SW enough to buy one. 8-} [face_blush]

All I have is the ROTJ Darth Vader and Palpatine Lego set which now sits on my shelf. :)

And other non-toy SW stuff like the soundtracks. And at least 20 novels I've read, either borrowed from the city libraries or read at Borders 8-}.

20. Chansplace

Jan 2, 2001
    There's a nice life-size Yoda on the SWNZ website I wouldn't mind getting, but that too is expensive ... plus you need to have room for it.

I didnt have room for my life size Jar Jar, but hey. :p

21. SithForceLord

Jul 2, 2001
    life-size Yoda on the SWNZ website I wouldn't mind getting, but that too is expensive ... plus you need to have room for it.

Yea, cause a LIFE SIZE YODA. There's NO SPACE IN THIS WORLD FOR SUCH A HUGE THING!!!

ooh you could cut the sarcasm with a spoon.

:p

PS: Chans' Jar Jar is just disturbing.

22. ACERIMMERROCKS

May 25, 2001
    I have a life sized chewbacca cut out and he scares me

23. lordvaderFF

lordvaderFF Jedi Master star 4

Nov 29, 2000
    "Look Sir.....Collectors"

Ahhhhhhhh..my kind of people. :)

If anyone is interested in a collectors group that is full of people willing to trade or exchange stuff....try this Collectors Guild

Just go to the bottom of the page and join via the Yahoo groups page.

The website is a bit old and outdated....just ignore it.

Most of the members are located in Australia, but there are a few in the US, Japan, and the UK.

It's been a bit quiet of late...but you never know when you might be in need of some EXTRA contacts. :)

24. Norrad_Roff

Feb 26, 2001
    PS: Chans' Jar Jar is just disturbing.

Chan's Care Bear collection would be more disturbing I feel. //shudders

25. Buzz-Bumble

Nov 27, 2000

I've got a box load of Smurfs and a few soft / stuffed toys, does that count? :p

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.