main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

FFUK Gamers Thread: Power to the Player

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by Disciple-of-Tython, Apr 8, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ramble_Boba

Ramble_Boba Jedi Master star 5

May 13, 2002
    Creed was over hyped, badly. This led to me been let down initially, but once I got over that I did enjoy it. It has it flaws, but it is the best version of Tenchu since the first Tenchu. I love jumping across the rooftops and planning to take people out. My biggest problem was that it didn't reward assassination as much as it should, fighting was far to easy. The story line though, oh don't get me started! It was the worst thing ever, and seeing all the VR nonsense while I ran around these beautiful cities angered me. And the cities were beautiful, stunning graphics and brilliantly designed, it was a joy to get to view points and look across them, and some of the view points did give me a shudder of vertigo. It is such a pleasant change to be somewhere new and different in a game, but they ruined it with the VR nonsense.

Still decent enough, wouldn't pay full price for it though.

Now I am going to dominate Mass Effect for a while.

Oh also at christmas I had my first go on a PS3, and while I can't comment on graphics (because it wasn't via HD) all I can say is, what have they done to the controllers? They feel so cheap and flimsy. I didn't want to press the buttons in case they broke! For £300 odd I want a decent feeling controller!

2. JED1

JED1 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 16, 1998
    Wow, Soul Calibur IV will have two guest fighters! Yoda and Vader!

Check out the news here!

http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3165334

As a fan of the series, IV is going to be even better than I hoped! [face_dancing]

3. MASTERANNIE

MASTERANNIE Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 31, 2005
    O.M.G. :eek:
    I'll have to buy a PS3 or a Xbox 360.....[face_hypnotized]
    Gooooooooo Soul Calibur!!!!! [face_dancing]

4. moosemousse

moosemousse CR Emeritus: FF-UK South star 6

Oct 3, 2004
    Why does Yoda's green lightsabre leave a blue trail? That's just weird.

I prefer the original Soul Blade to the Soul Calibur series.

5. MASTERANNIE

MASTERANNIE Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 31, 2005
    I think the 3rd is the best...the one for PS2

6. clonetrooper1

clonetrooper1 Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 12, 2005
    I enjoyed the Soul Calibur that had link in it :p (2 i think)

7. Jedi_Nath

Jedi_Nath Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 30, 2005
    Erm, a couple of Years ago, either here or the JCC had this Web Browser Based Sci-Fi space manager game, where you had your own planet, could build stuff, there was like a different cooldown to building stuff like X_minutes...anyone remember what it is?

8. Twinky_Stryder

Twinky_Stryder Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 16, 2003
    I borrowed a flatmate's copy of Bioshock and finished it last night.

Brilliant gameplay, effective atmosphere. If it wasn't such a great game the creep factor would have stoppped me playing a long time ago. But it was well worth it for such a complete gaming experience.

9. Ramble_Boba

May 13, 2002
    I need to complete Bioshock still, was an excellent game, I just stopped playing, like I always seem to.

Nath, the game you are on about sounds like Planetarion, which was great fun till they made you have to pay.

Wiki link for the game

10. I_AM_GEEK

I_AM_GEEK Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 5, 2004
    High street retailers HMV and Woolworths are cutting the price of some video games by selling them VAT-free via special in-store kiosks.

The stores are to take advantage of a VAT loophole by allowing customers to order directly from the Channel Islands using electronic terminals.

The move, which will allow the retailers to match competitive internet prices, means customers can order goods under £18 with zero VAT added.

Woolworths has already installed kiosks in 40 of its stores, while HMV is planning to roll out the terminals in 250 of its sites.

A report in The Guardian claims: "HMV's new terminals offer 'free home delivery' not from the group's London distribution centre, but from its base on the Channel Islands tax haven of Guernsey. The extra expense of postage is paid for many times over by avoiding VAT."

I found this story on digital spy and hadnt heard anything about it. I've not been in HMV for games in a while but if this is true I might brave the longer walk there rather than the nearer Game store.

11. GrandMofPeanutButter

GrandMofPeanutButter Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 13, 2004
    play.com found that loophole years ago, and they do free delivery.

12. Twinky_Stryder

Nov 16, 2003
    I love HMV and their free home delivery anyway.

Always gives them the edge over Amazon any day of the week.

13. orn-free-tada

orn-free-tada Jedi Knight star 6

Aug 11, 2001
    anyone who owns mario kart wii or smash bros brawl fancy a match? hit me back

14. moosemousse

Oct 3, 2004
    If anyone has Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles: Ring of Fates and want to trade moogles, my username is mousse and my code is 1504 7423 4420.

15. FatBurt

FatBurt Sex Scarecrow Vanquisher star 6

Jul 21, 2003
    My gaming PC has died and I'm in the process of speccing a new one.

I'm trying to decide between

Dual and Quad core (AMD or Intel)

and whether to go Dual SLI or Crossfire graphics cards or just pay for a really bitchin one.

The rest of the system will be 4gb RAM a 250 data HDD and 500 Storage HDD and then the rest of the gubbins will be largely standard.

I then have the joys of sourcing a decent PC builder

I also have a budget of 900-1000

Anyone have any suggestions? as I can't play Guild Wars/HL2/Oblivion ANYTHING untill it's fixed as the laptop is very basic.

16. moosemousse

Oct 3, 2004
    I doubt you'll see any noticeable difference between dual and quad core CPUs. Unless a lot of stuff at once there's little point in going with a quad core, imo. I'd go with a better dual core CPU.

Same with the graphics card. I'd go for a really good one. I run all my games at native desktop resolution (1280x1024) with high settings and I have a GeForce 7600 GS and that's fine.

Oh, and building a PC is really easy these days. I'd offer to build it but I probably can't get to where you live. I'd say to do it yourself, but that's just me.

17. Ramble_Boba

May 13, 2002
    The sequel to the best Xbox 360 game and best game of this generation came out yesterday. Yes, new Geometry Wars! Get it! If you don't have an Xbox, buy one! Or buy Geometry Wars Galaxies for Wii or DS.

18. JED1

JED1 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 16, 1998
    Picked up The Force Unleashed for my 360 yesterday and have to say I am very impressed, great graphics and sound, smooth fluid control and a lot of fun to play!

19. Lord-Tice

Lord-Tice Jedi Knight star 5

Aug 20, 2001
    The more I play Unleashed the more I dislike it. For me it sums up all that's wrong with this generation of gaming. Too much focus on nice HD graphics (which are very nice) and AI programmes that no doubt cost millions to make but add very little.
    The camera is very annoying, the gameplay seems to largely consist of kill, kill, kill, smash, smash, smash and I'm finding everything a bit of chore. In stark contrast I also got Soul Bubbles on the DS this week and that is a great game!!

I hope my views on Unleashed will change with time, but at the moment I just don't have an urge to switch it on.

20. SithLordDarthRichie

SithLordDarthRichie CR Emeritus: London star 9

Oct 3, 2003
    But smashing stuff is fun :p

I've not yet played Unleashed, but from what i've heard it's similar to Republic Commando in that it has good story and great characters, but is far too short.

I know two people who have already completed it, one who beat the final boss first time.

Seems that they spent all that time and money promoting it as some great new chapter in the Star Wars Saga and how great the graphics are, but spent less time on making it tough or lengthy.

At least if it was available on PC then expansions could be provided.

21. Moylesy

Moylesy Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 4, 2001
    My son played through Unleashed in virtually one sitting, he thought that it was a little bit too easy although he said that it felt like SW I tend to disagree watching some of the Force Powers that the Apprentice has.

22. SithLordDarthRichie

Oct 3, 2003
    Also, it seems they made the Apprentice far too powerful. Vader is the chosen one, the most power Jedi ever as prophesised, yet he has an apprentice who can pull Star Destroyers out of the sky (not necessarily saying that Vader can't do that, just never seen or heard of power that great before).

Ok Vader is hindered by his suit, but his force ability even with reduced medichlorians should mean he can easily overpower pretty much any jedi he fights.

Having the power to destroy pretty much everything with relative ease doesn't always make for great gameplay unless there is something to match your power and be a challenge.

I know both Light & Dark Side endings, and I don't think either of them really works.

23. Moylesy

Moylesy Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 4, 2001
    But they do, from a certain point of view. Although the whole game messes about with canon to a certain degree, the Light side ending does not change anything and the Dark side leaves it up to the gamer's imagination as to what happens next.

24. Twinky_Stryder

Nov 16, 2003
    I think there should have been a second Dark Side ending with you and Vader teaming up to take down Palpatine. Just for fun it would have been cool.

25. SithLordDarthRichie

Oct 3, 2003
    Yeah, Vader as the Emperor would've been awesome.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.