main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

FFUK North ?small meets?

Discussion in 'Archive: North' started by suzijedi, Oct 28, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. suzijedi

suzijedi Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 8, 2006
    It?s been suggested that members (especially NE) would like to get back to having smaller meets (pub meets, small get-togethers over a coffee, cinema meets etc), so it seems like an idea to start a thread for these smaller meets, so we can suggest ideas and orgainse.

Please feel free to start your suggestions!

2. Gopher_Tanis

Gopher_Tanis Jedi Youngling

Nov 30, 2006
    Certainly seems a good idea, I think theirs a core of people to get several local meetups (as in more informal than regional) kickstarted.

3. Ranouch-Heath

Ranouch-Heath Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 20, 2007
    In the past we had meet ups in >

Middlesbrough
    York
    Darlington
    Durham
    Newcastle
    Leeds

I think to keep in with people who are spread around the NE area maybe 1 meet in newcastle with the next in somewhere elce, Having a break from pubs is a good way of getting out as a group and enjoying our self's meet ups like York where we climbed the tower or did something different, Durham would be nice Makes a change ?

Im sure we could do with some of the NE members going over to the NW for a meet up visit and in return the NW members coming to the NE (Keeping things socal)
    If we make a planned meet lets NOT go off subect and start making more until we have had the first one try and keep on topic a camping weekend away or visit to Lindisfarne ?

4. Spike2002

Spike2002 Former FF-UK RSA and Arena Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 4, 2002
    Im sure we could do with some of the NE members going over to the NW for a meet up visit and in return the NW members coming to the NE (Keeping things social)

Dave, we already do enough of that. This is the point of the thread. The North does a lot of inter-region meets, but it seems to be at the expense of our small local ones, such as our early meets we used to do in the 'Boro and elsewhere.

Camping trips etc don't fall under that category either. That's more of a weekend away.

5. Ranouch-Heath

Ranouch-Heath Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 20, 2007
    Look Ive posted a comment dont start getting Technical with me or ill just get board and go off line again !

6. timbolton

timbolton Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 14, 2003
    Dave, there's no need to go offline mate. I agree though, it would be nice to see some NE members at the smaller NW ones, Jase is the only person so far to have made it all the way for one (Liverpool). The only other times was Manchester G-Mex and the "wot no G-Mex?" event when we went to the Trafford Centre since G-Mex had been cancelled. Think that's what Dave is meaning. Not a big North meet, just members joining the smaller ones.

But this is definitely for those kind of meets that last an afternoon/evening in a cafe or pub, a game of pool, etc.

And a quick history lesson ... this is the kind of meet that the North (and the NE) started off doing (it's not a new idea for us) from the beginning, when everyone was just happy to hang out, and the group was about making new friends, chatting about our shared hobby. And this should still be a key part of what we are, but it's down to you as members to help make this happen.

Suzi and I can only do so much, in the NW we were following the NE example to some extent, having small meets where a few of us go out for a bite to eat, sitting in cafes chatting, etc. You don't necessarily need Suzi or I to organise that sort of meet, just someone posts "hey why not meet up in Middlesbrough this >enter a day of your choice<" kinda thread and just do it. I think it mainly stopped because costuming and charity has become such an important part of what North members do, linked with other groups, and that's great. And very time consuming. But the social side kinda disappears, and from talking with most people on here from around CE right up to today, I know most would love to see us get back to the core. But if you drop out of meets when they have been organised for months, if you walk away and not fight for what you want, we can't do it.

It's down to you as members, because the CRs here can plan till we are blue in the face, but members have to use that voice of theirs to tell us what you want and don't want, use your feet to get to meets, or all we worked hard to build just is wasted. Chapters are about members doing things. A good CR helps their members achieve it, but members also have to make effort too. So it's up to you, the future of the North is in your hands, the CRs (Suzi and myself) are ready and happy to help make this one of the most active chapters, and a place for friendships to be made stronger.

7. Spike2002

Feb 4, 2002
    Dave, I know you're trying to help, but I can't help it if you get the wrong end of the stick. The North already does enough NW/NE meets, and we seem to be doing this at the cost of the smaller meets we used to start off with in the old days.

And can people stop with the "I'm getting bored comments." This applies to a few of you. If anyone has an issue with the way the North is going, then post it in the sticky thread entitled, "FF-UK North: The future". Any further comments outside that thread along the lines of "this site is boring me" will be deleted.

8. ForceGhostOfCozmic

ForceGhostOfCozmic Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 25, 2005
    If it was up to me, I'd be up for mini-meets every weekend. Just a shame I'm stuck in a soul destroying job every weekend [face_frustrated]

9. Gopher_Tanis

Gopher_Tanis Jedi Youngling

Nov 30, 2006
    I hope I did not start that one off, the thread seemed to get a bit heated after I posted, though being a relative newbie and pretty dense and disorganised I think I keep missing the threads about meets unless they are super organised, though its also my own sheer laziness.

10. Spike2002

Feb 4, 2002
    No mate, you're fine. Just a bit of a case of miscommunication. Happens on occasion here. We love each other really, though :p

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.