main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

FFXI: **Official** Online meetup / planning thread (PS2|PC|X-Box 360)

Discussion in 'Archive: Games' started by son_of_the_tear, Jan 25, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. son_of_the_tear

son_of_the_tear Jedi Master star 5

Jun 23, 1999
    Hey all,

I wanted to know who else is looking forward to this game and will be getting it?

It's coming out pretty soon. The cost is 99 dollars, but it comes with the hard drive. You actually get the game for free because the hard drive by itself, sans game, will be retailing for 99 dollars.

Anyway, I'm not to big on online gaming, but I'm actually looking forward to this.

So, wanted to know which of my fellow JCer's will be picking this up for the PS2?

I'd think it would be cool if I'm not the only one on the JC that will. Cause I'd love to play online with some of my fellow FF fans from here at the JC.

So, if any of you are picking this up or interested in it and would like to start a kind of clan for this game and just have fun, let me and all interested JCer's know.

The game is split into worlds, but you can choose where to start in and later on, get world passes within the game to travel to other worlds. We could coordinate maybe and pick the starting world so we can all do a lil monster slayer and just have fun.

Anybody game?

----------------------------------------------------

Worlds with JCers on them:

Diabolos:

darthgoat (User ID wonderboy)

Fairy:

Errant_Venture (User ID Janson, character name Tahiri)

----------------------------------------------------

EV Edit: Added in the server list

2. tyderium1111

tyderium1111 Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 28, 2003
    Right here. Though it will somewhat strange to be playing this online (and having to pay for it! Those bastards...), I'm sure I'll bite and get it. The idea of being able to play with people you know is quite grand, and I dig the LOTR storyline. Plus, the HDD is something I've been waiting for since X-Box came out.

3. son_of_the_tear

Jun 23, 1999
    Yeah. Looking forward to this. Rather play with fellow JCer's cause chances are, most of those random strangers on the servers will be arses and/or control freaks by making the game boring.

I just want to play to have fun and interact with fellw FF fans. I don't like how some clans are so strict that all fun is stripped away because it boils down to each character having such a specific role that
    often times, half the group doesn't get to do anything, not even witness the battle, because they have to be looking at status screens and menus and
    MP/HP bars.

While the role of a healer or support character is greatly needed and important... I see nothing wrong with having a little fun and do some other tactics or moves in between healing. What's the point of playing if you can't have some fun?

That is why me and the other players I played with had such fun in Phantasy Star Online. Because we weren't generic, rigid bores. We did our role, as defined by character, but we also had fun and diversified our involvement.

It gets boring for anyone to be delegated to just staring at menus, status screens and bars.

There are people out there taking this game way too
    seriously.

Anyway, I'm considering either being a black mage or a a fighter or a thief for my starting class.

Maybe a black mage/theif.

4. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    I'm not sure about buying FFXI. The combined cost would be about $140($40 network adapter, $100 FFXI/hard drive), plus I would have to pay a monthly fee and figure out how the hell to connect my PS2 to the internet. But, since it's Final Fantasy, I may buy it anyway(or the PC version).

5. TitaniumBender

TitaniumBender Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 25, 2003
    Why PS2 only? I've been playing thsi on PC for a month now. I've found most people to be absolutely helpful in naivgating the world. Sometimes when you're low on health a random person will run up to uyou and heal you. There's no PVP yet, but i really dont' think the gaming environment will get much worse when it does get introduced.

6. son_of_the_tear

Jun 23, 1999
    Well, you get the game for free. 99 dollars is the cots of the HD, which is great, cause no more memory cards and many games will take advantage of it by downloading into the drive, and thus, no load times.

As to connecting it to the internet, it is easy. The CD that the network adapter comes makes it easy to set up.

Just enter the info and that's it. Plug in your phone line or broadband cable into the network adapter and you're set to go.

The monthly fee is a drag, I agree. But it pays for keeping the servers running, patches, downloads, etc.

And you don't need broadband for this game.

It won't even help at all.

The game is optimized for 56k, meaning that both users will get the same game. Broadband users will have no advantages in this game at all. Like PSO. Optimized.

7. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    As to connecting it to the internet, it is easy.

No, I mean it'll be difficult to literally connect to the internet. My PS2 and internet phone jack are in seperate rooms. I'll have to buy something that remotely connects the PS2 to the internet, which will cost at least $100.

8. son_of_the_tear

Jun 23, 1999
    Hey!

Oh no, nothing against PC players.

The reason I say PS2 only, is because as of right now, it seems that PC users and PS2 users will not be able to interact.

This can change on last minute, but I don't think it will.

So, while I would love to get the PC users in on this to play together, I just don't think it will be possible.

I can be wrong on this though. But I do think that Square set this up so that PS2 players and PC players won't be able to mesh.

But if it turns out that we can, great. Don't care if you use console or PC. The point is for fellow JCer's to have some online fun together.

9. petmytauntaun

petmytauntaun Jedi Grand Master star 3

Sep 27, 2002
    Just to clear a few things up for you son_of_the_tear...

PC users and PS2 users ARE going to be playing together. No doubt on this, you can even check the FFXI official site for this info. Furthermore, the U.S./Euro. players are sharing the servers with the Japanese players. The game has a built in auto-translater to help with communication...although it's not as extensive as I would like.

Also, the world-passes won't let you travel between different worlds (servers). The world passes are used when you first set up your character.

A person in-game buys the world-pass and it is active for 5 days and can accomodate 5 people on it. After it expires or is full, it's invalid. Once you get in the world (server) though, that's it, you can't traverse between the others.

If you say you're not really fond of online games, then this one may not be for you. Once you get past level 15 or so (maybe a little higher, but this is the optimal range I've heard) it's virtually impossible to keep going in the game without forming parties.

This game promotes in-game cooperation more than any other I've seen. Now, that's not to say that there won't be things to do by yourself (i.e. fishing, crafting items, food, etc.), but the main object is to get people to play "together".

They have just added a new "limbo" area to the game that is currently being beta-tested by the Japanese players and the rumor is that it's so tough that even some of the advanced parties are getting their arses handed to them...So NO WAY you could go into these areas alone.

I've actually been waiting for a thread like this in this forum. I was planning on waiting for the PS2 version, but since a friend of mine already has the game on PC, I can't wait the remaining 2 months till the March 23rd release. As soon as I get my next bonus check from work, I'll be having a new PC built and getting the game.

I've already got a network adaptor and use it to play NFS: Underground (another game that PC users and PS2 players CAN CURRENTLY play together) and I spent an insane amount of time playing Socom. I'll just wait on the retail release of the HDD without the game pre-loaded. Which is now being said it will be cheaper than the initial release with FFXI on it.

Anyway, back to actually playing FFXI. I'll be playing on Kujata server once I get it, and my starting/home city will be Windhurst, so if any of you want a world-pass and will be looking for someone to play in-game with, let me know and I'll see if I can get you one at that time.

Edit: Tear, since I've confirmed for you that PC & PS2 players are going to be able to play together, what do you think about asking a Mod to change this title to eliminate the PS2 only part? I too would really like to see some of us saying "hello" to each other in-game once it's out on both formats and everyone gets it.

Remember once I get the game, I'll do what I can to get a worldpass to anyone who asks.

10. son_of_the_tear

Jun 23, 1999
    Well, I know this game is for me.

I used to be a rapid Phantasy Star Online player. I tried out a little bit of FFXI at a friends house, and I dug it because it is simmilar to Phantasy Star Online.

What I meant I'm not into online gaming, I meant that my fear was that this game would turn out to be in the same style as Everquest, which it's not.

And that's why I set this thread up. Because I want to find other people to play with, but mainly, because I hink it would be very cool to get to play with some of my fellow JCer's.

The only online games I really play are Phantasy Star Online and Worms, really.

I already got my copy of FF: Online reserved and paid for. So I'm counting the days.

Hopefully some other cats here at the JC are interested and we can play together. Would be fun.

EDIT - PMed a mod and he'll fix the title soon with luck. Also told him to make this the official thread. So this can be our meeting hub for us FF Online players.

Yeah, it would be great. Being able to say hi to some fellow JCer's and FF fans. And also, to get some clans started.

I know that grouping is a must, especially as you gain higher in levels. It was the same deal as in Phantasy Star Online.

I meant, that like in PSO, if I join or start a clan, I'm a laid back guy. Like I was with PSO. Because in both PSO and FFXI, I see too many clans that take it too seriously and forget to have fun. Or in
    many cases, I see half the party having a blast and then the other half secretly complaining to their friends that they're bored because a lot of clans are so rigid.

11. petmytauntaun

Sep 27, 2002
    Ok, that's cool that you know what you're in for as far as gameplay goes. I had a heck of a time convincing my buddy to try it because he had never played a MMORPG before. He's hooked now though.

Honestly this will be my first MMORPG, but I knew even before I tried it that I would like it...Hard to go too far wrong with the Final Fantasy name attached. IMHO, no one can make an RPG like Square-Enix can.

12. son_of_the_tear

Jun 23, 1999
    I too was planning on having Windhurst be my starting place.

But, I won't be getting the game until March, which is when it comes out for the PS2.

Now be wary, word has it that the hard drive will be priced at 99 dollars without the game, but if it does go down in price without the game, it will cost around 70 bucks.

Also keep in mind that for the first year, word has it, you won't be able to get the HD as a stand alone.

13. petmytauntaun

Sep 27, 2002
    Yeah, I had heard the same thing about the price on the HDD, but recently, have heard of a price change. I honestly can't remember where I heard it though. And also, I expected it to be at least 6 mo's to a year before it came out without the game pre-loaded.

Well, since you're also planning on having Windhurst as your starting city, keep in mind what I said about the world-pass. Once you get the game, just let me know if you're interested in starting on the server I'll be on.

14. Errant_Venture

Errant_Venture Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 21, 2002
    I'd go ahead and get the game if I actually felt that I would play it. I'm all for FFs, but I don't like the concept of an online one. :(

15. Darth_Tynaus

Darth_Tynaus Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 22, 2003
    I plan on getting this game. This is one that I am really looking foward to.

16. the_chosen_two

the_chosen_two Jedi Youngling star 3

Jan 23, 2003
    Ill be picking up just the HDD, theres gonna be a couple new downloadable maps for SOCOM2 when this comes out :D

17. tyderium1111

tyderium1111 Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 28, 2003
    If you buy the HDD, you're going to get FFXI.

18. son_of_the_tear

Jun 23, 1999
    Errant, look into it. You might like it.

I'm not much for online games, but after playing Phantasy Star Online... I got hooked. And this is like that, except bigger. And in the Final Fantasy world, which is a huge plus.

You might like it.

This isn't like Everquest or Diablo.

19. Eva_Pilot04

Eva_Pilot04 Jedi Knight star 7

Nov 15, 2001
    This will probably be the only FF that I'll never own. I'm poor and can't afford a broadband connection. [face_plain]

»Who dares wins«

20. son_of_the_tear

Jun 23, 1999
    You don't need broadband.

This game is optmized for 56k.

You won't be at a disadvantage at all if you don't have broadband.

Anyway. What character do any of you that will be playing be?

21. petmytauntaun

Sep 27, 2002
    I'll either be a Hume or Tarutaru. It all depends on what job-class I decide to go with. If I go with a warrior class I'll be a Hume and likely work towards the advanced class of Ranger with a sub job of White Mage. If I go with a mage class I'll be a Taru and start as a Black Mage and then once I open up the sub job class add White Mage and work toward changing the primary job to Summoner.

I just can't decide if I want to primarily be a spellcaster or not.

22. son_of_the_tear

Jun 23, 1999
    I am aprobably going to be a black mage or a thief as a primary or be mix and match one as primary and the other a s sub.

I definately wanna be a tarutaru. They're just darn cute heh

Ranger is supposed to be a wicked awsome class. Just be aware that it's downside is that it is very expensive. Arrows and bullets cost money and they spend a lot.

Also, be warned about summner as a main class. Players are saying that so far, the summons are very weak and not worth it despite the great MP boost.

Although, I heard that the Japanese expansion fixes this problem and provides them with great summons.

23. petmytauntaun

Sep 27, 2002
    Yeah, initially the Summoner spells aren't so great, but once you get Ifrit and a few others, supposedly they are really cool. This is one aspect I really haven't decided on though. In the end I may stick with Black Mage with White as the Sub. The only reason I'll do this instead of just being a Red with another sub is because some of the higher level White Mage spells are more of a benefit IMO.

If you're talking about the "Rise of the Zilart" expansion pack, that comes included in the game...In case you didn't know or is it what you were talking about?

The rumor right now is that the next expansion is soon to be out. Square-Enix just recently trademarked the name "The Chains of Promathia"...From the game information I've seen Promathia is the name of the God who condemns Altana's work, cursing her creations (Humes, Elvaan, Taru's, Galka and Mithra) with eternal struggle against one another.

As far as the upkeep on the Ranger, if that's what I go with, I plan on doing the arrow crafting myself. You can go out and cut trees on your own instead of buying the material and this will lower your spending.

Also by working on some cooking skills, I'll be able to make things that up your defense and sell really well at the auction-house for some $.$$.

Oh, one more thing on the rumored next expansion...There are rumblings that Male Mithra will be a selectable race in it, but no confirmation on this.

24. Twink_Kee

Twink_Kee Jedi Knight star 5

Oct 1, 2001
    I've said it before and I'll say it again:

I was against the concept of this game until I tried it, and I can say that it is fantastic. Its the only MMORPG that has been able to hold my interest. Despite being free-roaming, non-linear, and having a combat system that is not turn-based, it feels like a Final Fantasy game. Unlike most MMOPRGs, its got a good story that gets deeper as you progress.

I've got the PC version, and I'm on the Titan server btw. I've got a clan (linkshell) started, and we're looking for good members. If you wanna come on my server and join, I can get you a world pass whenever you get the game. Its best to switch servers when you first start, because your character has to start over from scratch. Or you can form up with petmytauntaun on Kujata, since our linkshell is fairly advanced. Or just find your own server.

25. son_of_the_tear

Jun 23, 1999
    The only thing I have against this game is the title. They should have not called it Final Fantasy 11.

That was stupid. It's not part of the true series.

Should have been just FF: Online.

Yeah. I was talking about the expansion pack. I didn't know we were getting that included with the game. I thought we would have to get it separately like the Japanese players had to...?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.