main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Art Archive fgdinterceptor's art *RECENTLY ADDED DEC 13, TY COBB AND VADER*

Discussion in 'Fan Art' started by fgdinterceptor, Oct 25, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. fgdinterceptor

fgdinterceptor Jedi Youngling

Oct 11, 2006
    Hello everyone, and thanks for checkin' out my art. Please feel free to leave any comments and/or critism you may have. Thanks!

Star Wars Art -much more coming soon!!

Below is an incredible drawing originally done by FalconFan, I just wanted to color it-so much props to FF!!
    Mara Jade (photoshop)
    Contest entry for "Mandalorian"
    Obi Wan
    Natalie Portman
    Harrison Ford
    ROTS Vader

Non Star Wars Art

Portrait of my wife
    T-800
    T-800 (same pic, in color)
    Venom
    Venom (same pic, in color)
    Halle Berry
    the Joker
    Vin Diesel
    Angelina Jolie
    Pennywise, from the movie "IT"
    Agent Smith
    Dr. Wily defeats Mega Man
    Dr. Wily defeats Mega Man (same pic, in color)
    Captain America
    Johnny Depp
    Will Smith
    Matthew McConaughey
    Ty Cobb

2. academygrad88

academygrad88 Jedi Master star 5

Apr 6, 2004
    Great job on all of your drawings. You are very talented. That Pennywise pic just gives me the creeps... which is what it is supposed to do. lol

Wonderful job!

AG88

3. fgdinterceptor

Oct 11, 2006
    academygrad88 - thanks for the kind words - as for Pennywise, he scared the s^$t out of me when I was little! I was in this stage of wanting to draw really cool movie villians, and he was close to the top of my list![face_clown] he he

4. ShrunkenJedi

ShrunkenJedi Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 26, 2003
    Great pics! The pennywise one was great, yeah, but you seem to go all out on the pics of the girls. Great shading, etc. Well done!

5. FalconFan

FalconFan Jedi Master star 4

Jul 25, 2004
    YAY!! You've finally started your thread!! About time... ;) :D

I have to say, once again, how amazing all of these are--the one of your bride really hit me: she's so beautiful, and looks so happy, and you've captured the emotion of your special day together perfectly! I'm sure she was ecstatic when she saw this! The Vin Diesel portrait is of the quintessential expression of the man--outstanding capture of that! The women, I have to agree with ShrunkenJedi here, are stunning, each and every one. And the Captain America is wonderful: a very realistic yet also very superhero looking drawing--wonderful!

I love them all, and truly cannot wait for some of the promised SW pieces you have coming--a warm welcome to our forum, and we're so happy you've joined the community! Beautiful, beautiful work!

=D==D=

FF

6. fgdinterceptor

Oct 11, 2006
    Shrunkenjedi -thanks for the compliments! as for drawing the women different than the men-it's tough to say, I spend equally the same amount on drawing both...I'd say women are much more harder to draw than men-their composition is very different from men-bone structure, skin texture, hair, eyes, lips, etc. Which means the women require a little more attention than the men (and no, that's not meant to be some sexist comment either :)). The pencils have to be more accurate than when I'm drawing a man. Not sure how that works out. Hopefully when you see the pic of Harrison Ford I'm working on, I might change your mind![face_thinking]

FalconFan -well, the wait is over--finally posted Obi Wan :D, and Natalie Portman is finished. I'll get that one up soon. Besides working on Harrison Ford, I've started on your Mara Jade-I'll let you know when it's done! I'm glad to hear you like my stuff--coming from someone who's own art is simply amazing-and gets better with every piece-[face_hypnotized] I really appreciate the compliments!

And again, the criticism is also welcomed, and appreciated.:mad: -j/k

7. FalconFan

Jul 25, 2004
    :eek:

**swoons**

Oh, wow... Ben looks....wonderful... =D==D= You don't disappoint, that's for sure, fgdinterceptor! I can see those touches of your black-black charcoal pencil, and you're right that they add punch--beautiful. His beard has me just staring: what a fantastic job on those white hairs curling over the darker shadows...absolutely amazing. It's a stunning portrait--just curious: how long did this one take you? Johnny Depp looks fabulous--this reminds me of the movie he did with Marlon Brando, "Don Juan DeMarco;" what a wonderful little film that was! I love the expression--you really have a gift for capturing those (which means we're going to get a real treat when you get done with Harrison Ford, I suspect! :D ). Beautiful shading, wonderful textures--I love these! Most excellent!

FF

8. fgdinterceptor

Oct 11, 2006
    glad you like Obi Wan, Deb-he took about an hour and a half, and Natalie Portman about 2 hours-which is about how long it takes to draw the portraits.

as for the charcoal, the only drawing that's charcoal is the pic of my wife and Pennywise-the others are done in pencil, except for the dark parts...for example, Obi Wan's eyes and inside of the cloak is done with a carbon sketch pencil.

You mentioned Obi Wan's hair/beard. I'll tell you it's only an eraser. Two erasers, actually. A plain kneaded eraser, and an electric eraser. I know not everyone knows what I'm talking about, but it's a little battery powered eraser, and it takes off everything--very easy to use, and it's great for things like highlights, etc. It leaves almost NO pencil marks!! It's my (not so secret) weapon! I should probably post something on the tutorials thread, but I don't want to come off as cocky-if anyone wants any tips, or whatever, I'm sure they can PM me.

the first thing I do after I do the initial sketch with light pencils, I take an H or HB pencil, and go over the entire picture, except for the eyes and teeth. then blend with a Kleenex, and that's like my 'base' for the picture. then, when I erase to get the highlights, etc., it's solid white, and you can see the contrasts, even on pale skin (like Natalie Portman!!)

9. academygrad88

Apr 6, 2004
    I totally agree with you there. I think it is because a woman needs smooth flowing lines. Which means you have to know the anatomy really well. I hate drawing women because I am so lousy at it. You, on the other hand, do it very well. You should draw some of the women from Star Wars. I always love to see Leia, Mara, or Jaina. I have a bunch of reference photos of the last two if you ever need any (from profic novel covers or SW Character guides).

I love your Johnny Depp pic. Have you thought about drawing him as Captain Jack Sparrow?

AG88

10. Nidrail

Nidrail Moderator Emeritus star 3 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 2, 2005
    fgdinterceptor, your artwork is really beautiful!!! You are incredible at getting the hair, clothes, eyes & general likenesses spot on and absolutely beautiful and flowing!!!! I can't view ALL of your work because my web browser quits everytime I open pictures hosted on imageshack, but from what I saw, they were absolutely stunning!!!!!

I think the one thing you could do to get even better is work on doing more shadow shading on the face- that is try to create more depth using more shading. Falcon Fan is a wonderful example of that, and also AureliaCC.

Really beautiful work and I look foreward to seeing more!!!

God bless!
    ~N

11. fgdinterceptor

Oct 11, 2006
    academygrad- I'd love to draw more of the women-Princess Leia's in the works, and currently coloring Mara Jade, the wonderful drawing from FalconFan-if you have any other ideas for women, let me know! just shoot me a PM, and if you have any reference material, send that over too!

I'd love to draw Jack Sparrow, I think he's an awesome character, visually. I'd love to draw more movie characters.

Nidrail -thanks for the comments. I really have issues with my scanner, and alot of the shading gets removed, no matter the resolution-oh well, not much I can do with that, except press the pencils harder on the paper![face_frustrated]

12. FalconFan

Jul 25, 2004
    :eek:=D==D=

Awesome!!!

These newest portraits are gorgeous!! I'm torn, though--I don't think I can pick a favorite!! Natalie is...amazing... Gads, it's like a photo: her eyes and mouth are just perfect. Beautiful. And Will Smith's portrait is also jaw-dropping--again, looks just like a photo! Gorgeous skintones (I haven't been brave enough to draw a dark-skinned person yet...maybe I should try...) and beautiful light. McConaughey is also gorgeous--but with Harrison Ford, you've really captured "the look!" I knew expression would be great in this, and I was right: it's the quintessential Ford "smirk!" Beautiful lights and darks...I love the hair! What a great, great series of portraits! And I'll jump in with AG88 here: Capt. Jack would be sooooo awesome!! All that "Keith Richards" eyeliner and the beaded beard...it'd be too fun! But I also want to see Princess Leia, Luke and a nice portrait of Anakin Skywalker (geez, I'll be the eyes would just burn through the paper on that one... :D )!

What a fabulous gallery you have going here! Wonderful, wonderful work (and quick, too...wish I could work this fast!)! =D=

FF

13. academygrad88

Apr 6, 2004
    Great job on Harrison Ford. He looks fantastic!

AG88

14. fgdinterceptor

Oct 11, 2006
    FalconFan--thanks for the kind words Deb. I'd love to tackle characters, not just drawings of the actors that portray them. Maybe Jack Sparrow will make his way over the forums!? We'll see.

Next on the list is Hayden Christensen as Anakin. I found a great pic, which shows the scene on Mustafar...his back to Obi Wan, as he says "only the Sith deal in absolutes..." I want to be able to capture the rage, frustration, etc. right before he attacks...should be tricky.

Having trouble finding a pic of Leia that no one's already drawn..who knows?

15. HanSolo29

HanSolo29 RPF/SWC/Fan Art Manager & Bill Pullman Connoisseur star 7 Staff Member Manager

Apr 13, 2001
    I saw Ford's name in the title and I came running! :p

Nice collection of drawings you have here! They're all very detailed and the likenesses are uncanny! Keep up the awesome work! :D

16. FalconFan

Jul 25, 2004
    "I found a great pic, which shows the scene on Mustafar...his back to Obi Wan, as he says "only the Sith deal in absolutes..." I want to be able to capture the rage, frustration, etc. right before he attacks..."

Ahhh, yesssss.... I cannot wait!!! Talk about emotion--it doesn't get more raw than that moment, and I'm sure you'll do a fantastic job of it!

**tries to be patient--beings fidgeting in anticipation**

;) :p

FF

17. Your_Worshipfulness

Your_Worshipfulness Jedi Youngling star 2

May 21, 2005
    Welcome to the Fan Art forums! :)

*swoons* You have some gorgeous artwork! and I love that you've posted up a nice variety. (Great cast of villains in particular.)

The Joker is easily one of my favourites. Besides being the perfect shot of the character, I see no faults. Beautiful contrasting. Utterly outstanding texture on the endoskeleton of the T-800 too. Another one which impressed me was Venom. How on earth did you get that splotchy painted look though? If I didn't know any better, I'd say it was a scan of a Marvel card. That one just plain awes me. You have an incredible eye for detail and talent with creating soft smooth tones that boggle my mind.

...And I've never heard of a battery operated eraser before. I didn't know that such a thing existed. :eek: I myself use a stick eraser which I hail as a godsend.

Looking forward to the 'Mustafar' scene. :)

- Suz ^_~

18. fgdinterceptor

Oct 11, 2006
    Your Worshipfulness- thanks for the comments! Of all my portraits, I personally like the Joker also. I think villains are cooler than the heroes. They tend to be very complex, methodical, and have goals and dreams (just tryin to be funny). But seriously, I just like the fact that heroes are only heroes when they have to battle the villains...Villains are bad all the time!! They don't have to change.

As for Venom, it's an inkwash on Bristol, using regular india ink and a few different brushes--the one you're inquiring about is in fact a toothbrush. I take an eyedropper, get a little ink on a small plate, and then add some water to the ink, swirl the toothbrush in it, then with my thumb, I rake it along the bristles, and I get the splatter effect. The less ink, the smaller the specks and I can put the ink where I want it. The more ink on the toothbrush, the thicker and messier the splatter becomes.

From a personal standpoint, my drawings have come a long way in a short period of time-I'm far from perfect, and still have alot to learn-I look at and learn from the best. For many artists, it's hard to swallow that pride and take notes from other artists-especially if they are better than you. But I've learned so much-I put down my charcoal pencils, and switched over to graphite. With charcoal, you can get a dramatic effect without too much detail. For example-If I did the Joker in charcoal, it'd take about an hour to draw, and there'd be too much contrast-but it'd work. With the pencils, I can literally do what I want to a drawing-manipulate it any way I choose-with charcoal, once it's on the paper, you can forget about taking it off...

The eraser can be found at most every art supply store, maybe even a hobby store--if they sell drafting supplies, they'll have one. There are some details and effects I cannot get without the eraser!

19. FalconFan

Jul 25, 2004
    :eek:

=D=

Wow, fgd!! Amazing! She looks...amazing (having trouble coming up with words!)! You managed to keep a lot of the dark shadows, and it really gives her that very characteristic "Jade threat factor!" It never ceases to shock and surprise me that color can turn one of my drawings into something entirely new and different... A beautiful job--thank you so much! =D=

FF

20. Chilla

Chilla Jedi Master star 4

Jul 30, 2005
    Hey there and welcome to Fanarts! [:D]

Wow, amazing! I love your drawings and the photohopped Mara. She might be a bit dark - but that makes her look even more dangerous. I can see why Kyp is so scared of her. :D

=D= Can't wait for mroe!

21. Handmaiden_Azul

Handmaiden_Azul Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 29, 2005
  22. fgdinterceptor

Oct 11, 2006
    Hey, glad you like my version of Mara Jade-I took the original work, and kept the line art-basically, could color everything without manipulating the original pencils-I think the darkness adds to her personality-she wasn't always good, right? Not sure if the skin tone's right, I can't ever seem to get that right!

as for the art contest, looks like we'll be seing Leia alot sooner than expected!

23. Your_Worshipfulness

Your_Worshipfulness Jedi Youngling star 2

May 21, 2005
    Your colouring of Mara looks marvelous! I love her shade of red hair! And the green suits her (she can never escape it, lol). I also liked how you kept the darkness intact as it does seem to match her character as you say. In this particular drawing, it does exactly what FF described to be as the "Jade threat factor" (nice one Deb) Beautiful and deadly - exactly what her character is.

Oh and thanks for the info of the eraser. Funny how I never once saw them when I went to buy supplies before. I didn't make a purchase though since I couldn't find any packs of just the eraser refills. [face_plain] And I'm quite content with my lowly little stick eraser for the time being :p j/k

Ahhhhh. I've used a toothbrush before for something (can't recall), but never with ink nor have I ever used an eyedropper in that manner. Creative points for you. ;) If I ever do anything with ink, I'll try to remember that. Thanks for sharing! :)

- Suz ^_~

24. SilSolo

SilSolo Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 5, 2004
    I lvoe the grainyness on Mara. There's just that darkness and sense of danger to it that befits an assassin. Did you use a tablet? And your wife's beautiful. She must've adored that pic.

25. fgdinterceptor

Oct 11, 2006
    silsolo, I've never used a tablet when I color-I've wanted to get one though. I'm sure it'd be easier to work with, but I don't use Photoshop enough to spend the $$ on one...

as for the graininess of the Mara Jade pic, I didn't change any of the original line art, which was drawn by Falcon Fan. So, you'd have to give the props to her. She's got alot of amazing art!

as for the drawing of my wife, she really liked it alot, and glad you like it too!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.