main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Before - Legends FIC: Dissent (JA angst, one post story) *NEW 7/16/03*

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by Obi the Kid, Jul 16, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Obi the Kid

Obi the Kid Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 13, 2000
    TITLE: Dissent
    AUTHOR: Obi the Kid (hlnkid@aol.com)
    RATING: PG
    SUMMARY: Four years pre-TPM. Non-Slash. Obi-Wan questions Qui-Gon's decision to return to a planet engaged in civil war.
    ARCHIVE: Please ask me first.
    MY WEBSITE: http://www.angelfire.com/movies/obithekid/
    DISCLAIMER: The characters and venue of Star Wars are copyrighted to Lucas Films Limited. The characters not recognizable from this venue are copyrighted to Tracy C. Knight. The story is the intellectual property of Tracy C. Knight and is copyrighted to her. She makes no profit from the writing or distribution of this story.

========
    Dissent
    ========

"No, Master. You are not thinking clearly on this. I know that you believe yourself to be the correct choice for this mission. But I also know the trauma that you experienced on Velaar. I was there, in case you've forgotten. I saw what you saw. Felt what you felt. There are too many horrible memories there. I agree with the council's decision not to send us, even though the leaders have requested us by name. You gave into your anger on that planet, Master. Just for a moment, but you gave in. And I know what you will say. That we must confront our fears. Confront our greatest challenges. Not this, Master. Do not defy the council on this. No matter what your heart tells you, listen to the Force. The Force is screaming at you not to go. Let the council handle this. You are not prepared for this and you know it. As I am not prepared. This is a mission that you cannot handle."

Qui-Gon Jinn glared hard at his apprentice throughout the young man's speech. When the lecture finally stopped the elder knight spoke angrily. "Are you finished?" He paused, but Obi-Wan did not back down as Qui-Gon continued. "I do not require disrespect from my apprentice. You will follow the orders I give. If I chose to revisit Velaar, I will. If you wish, you may stay at the temple until I return."

"It's not disrespect, Master. It's the truth. You just can't see it right now because your mind is filled with the images their civil war. The slaughtered children. Crying mothers holding their dead sons and daughters. We were put in a position where we could do nothing. The laws of the planet making our direct interference a crime. Our job there was to attempt to convince the leaders to stand down. To value life. To communicate rather than murder. They didn't want us there. They hated us then and they hate us now."

"Then perhaps, Obi-Wan you would care to tell me why they have asked us to return?"

The younger Jedi sighed deeply. If only his master would open his eyes and see the truth.. "Only one side has called for us, Master. Only one of the warring parties. They want to use us as a tool. Our words have no affect. But we are Force users. You saw the look in General Ilan's eyes when he saw how we were able to take out two dozen of his finest guards in less than sixty seconds. He wants to use that against his enemy. He has no respect for what we are or what we do. He has no respect for human life. He is about power and nothing else. Once he uses us, he will get no greater pleasure than to watch our reactions as he murders more of the women and children of his enemy. Then he will have power over us. Emotional power. And he will claim another victory. I will not allow you to be drawn into that, Master. I will speak to the council myself if I have to."

The anger did not leave the master and it continued to show in his tone. "You will do no such thing, Obi-Wan. And you are out of line in saying so. The council have had their say. I know what their feelings are on this. I have my own feelings. I know I can make a difference there."

Obi-Wan walked across the room. He shook his head and turned his back to his teacher as he spoke. "You can't, Master. Your presence there won't matter one damn bit to those who are suffering. To those who are dying. Perhaps there are ways to make a difference, but it goes far beyond wha

2. Padawan_Jess_Kenobi

Padawan_Jess_Kenobi Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 20, 2002
    *gives a standing ovation* Beautiful! That was simply beautiful! :D I loved how you portrayed Obi-Wan to be so wise, and how he talked his Master out of going back to that planet. The characterization could not be more dead-on than what you wrote. This fic as definately risen in the top five list of my favorite stories by you (yes, you are one of my favorite authors :D). Qui-Gon was perfect, and I loved how you made him stubborn, yet he was touched by his apprentice's concern. You wrote Obi to being wise beyond his years, which he is. Wonderful stry. :D

3. Arwen-Jade_Kenobi

Arwen-Jade_Kenobi Jedi Knight star 5

Feb 9, 2002
    Go Obi Go!! That was excellent! Wonderful portrayal of a situation not often seen in fanfic.

Bravo!

4. LuvEwan

LuvEwan Jedi Master star 4

Mar 24, 2002
    Interesting and lovely, Obi. ;)

You balanced Obi-Wan's fear of returning to the planet with his need to comfort his Master by remaining at his side.

And Qui-Gon's conflict is painfully clear here. Great job. I loved it. [face_love]

*And you're one of my favorite authors too! :D

5. dianethx

dianethx Jedi Grand Master star 6

Mar 1, 2002
    This was wonderful...a very good characterization of both Obi-Wan and Qui-Gon, both thoughtful and passionate in their beliefs. Great job.

6. Obi the Kid

Apr 13, 2000
    Jess, LuvEwan, Arwen and Diane...Thanks SO very much for your wonderful comments. You guys really made my day.

I worked hard on this to try and keep Qui-Gon in character, from what we saw in Phantom Menace. And also playing on both of them being a bit defiant and stubborn. We saw that 'not always smooth' relationship in the movie, so I figured there has to be other times in their past when they didn't see eye to eye on things.

This is the result of being bored at work one day and just messing around until a few paragraphs mutated into a few pages and became a story! :D

Thanks again, I truely appreciate all or your kinds words!!!!

Obi

7. ewen

ewen Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 11, 2001
    Great Job!!!!

Odd isn't it how a FF can grab our attention. We understand and agree with what Obi-Wan said, but in real life...???

To me, your story mimics a certain dissension that rages today.

Could it be you planned it that way?

PEACE ewen

8. PadawanKitara

PadawanKitara Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 31, 2001
    That was very well done. I think it is your best to date!

9. Kelly Kenobi

Kelly Kenobi Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 23, 2000
    Wow OTK, this is wierd I was just thinking about you this morning and hoping we would get a new story from you soon and low and behold I turn my computer only only to find just that!!!!!! Must be my lucky day!!!

Another fabulous story it was, you have the characters of Obi and Qui down to a science. I loved how the strongest emotion felt through out the entire story was the love and concern between Obi and Qui!!!

10. Obi the Kid

Apr 13, 2000
    Kelly, Kitara and Ewen, THANKS! You guys know how to make a boring day at work, passable.

I hadn't thought about the story echoing the rage of today...but now that I think about it, it does kinda fit in today's world.

So glad you guys enjoyed this, and thanks for the comments!!!!

Obi

11. Obi the Kid

Apr 13, 2000
  12. Obi the Kid

Apr 13, 2000
    Up we go once more!

13. Ginger_Jedi

Ginger_Jedi Jedi Knight star 6

Jun 4, 2001
    Up :)

Great story - I love seeing Obi being all wise and grown up and dealing with his stubborn Master head on.

Great writing OTK :D You pulled it off spectacularly :D

14. Obi the Kid

Apr 13, 2000
    Thanks so much Ginger! Glad you enjoyed it!

Obi

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.