main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Before - Legends FIC: Foundation (JA) *Completed 10/31/03* Part 5 of 5

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by Obi the Kid, Oct 24, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Obi the Kid

Obi the Kid Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 13, 2000
    Whew, I finally made it back to the JC boards. Hurrican Isabel and nutty things at work have kept me from posting and from reading here. Things are working back to normal now..and here's a new story.

Okay, this is what I like to refer to as my Epic. :D 35 pages, the longest story I've ever done. I even shocked myself. Hehe. And this also ventures out into some new and ORIGINAL Jedi characters. For all you Obi and Qui readers, they do play a part in this story as well. I just couldn't leave them out. But the focus is on the new characters, one of which you have met in 2 previous stories.

This will be posted in 5 long parts. It's the easiest way for me to keep track of things. Part 2 will come in a couple days.

Thanks!

PART 1

TITLE: Foundation
    AUTHOR: Obi the Kid (hlnkid@aol.com)
    RATING: PG
    SUMMARY: Pre-TPM. Non-slash. Taash Evram, close friend to Qui-Gon and Obi-Wan, is making the life changing decision to take on the training of a padawan, Ryin Cyr. A young master and a new apprentice learn to trust in each other and trust in the Force.
    ARCHIVE: Ask me first.
    MY WEBSITE: http://www.angelfire.com/movies/obithekid/
    DISCLAIMER: The characters and venue of Star Wars are copyrighted to Lucas Films Limited. The characters not recognizable from this venue are copyrighted to Tracy C. Knight. The story is the intellectual property of Tracy C. Knight and is copyrighted to her. She makes no profit from the writing or distribution of this story.

===========
    Foundation
    ===========

Knight Taash Evram walked along the corridor away from the initiate sparring gym. A smile lit his tanned face. His shoulder length dark-flaxen hair floated gently in the small breeze created by his brisk pace. Any feelings of uncertainty he'd had in the past few months were gone. He'd made his decision. The one that would change his life forever. Although still young, at twenty-seven, he could feel the Force encouraging him and pushing him towards this new path.

This day was the day that Taash decided he would take on the responsibility of training an apprentice. A padawan to live and learn by his side. A student to which he could begin to pass on all that he'd learned from his own master, Kem Tovaar in the twelve years that he'd spent under his care. Master Kem was killed before Taash had completed his training, and the loss was devastating for the young Jedi. However with the help of now friends, Obi-Wan Kenobi and Qui-Gon Jinn, and the care of Master Greft Salem, Taash pushed through that difficult period and was knighted just over a year later.

He was eager to train an apprentice. Eager to teach. Eager to form a lasting relationship that might run as deep as the one he shared with Master Kem.

For months now Taash had been following the progress of a boy named Ryin Cyr. The more he observed the young initiate, the more he knew that this was the right apprentice. Ryin was small but willing and eager to learn. As eager to learn as Taash was to pass on what he had learned.

Today was the day for the decision that would change his life.

~*~

Taash was so focused on what lie ahead that he wandered right past his destination. He was anxious to talk to Obi-Wan. Doubling back to the apartment where Obi-Wan and his master kept residence, he paused outside the door to regain his composure. Several deep breaths later, he pressed the door chime.

As he waited, he realized it was now early afternoon. Although he knew Jinn and Kenobi were back home at the temple, having returned two days ago from another in a long line of difficult missions, the likelihood of catching Obi-Wan in his quarters at this time of day was not very good.

Pressing the chime a second time, Taash waited a few more minutes. No answer. **I'll just have to tell him later. But I've got to tell someone.**

~*~

The temple's Remembrance Room was always quiet during mid-day. Few Jedi could take the time out of their busy days to come and remember friends and loved ones

2. Ginger_Jedi

Ginger_Jedi Jedi Knight star 6

Jun 4, 2001
    Ahhh how am I EVER gonna sit down and write my own stuff when there's great stuff like this story to read?? Huh? Huh?

Superb beginning OTK :D I like a nice lengthy story so I'm strapping myself in for the ride ;) Update soon pleeeeeeease!!!

3. Shaindl

Shaindl Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 18, 2002
    Great start! Looking forward to more soon. :)

Shaindl

4. Seraphena

Seraphena Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 20, 2003
    I've reread it twice already I keep getting stuck on the whole eye description, it's perfect.

Can't wait to read more

5. Obi the Kid

Apr 13, 2000
    Ginger, Shaindl and Seraphene, Thanks so much. I spent so much time trying to get this story exactly how I wanted it, I'm glad you guys are enjoying it so far.

The eyes...you know, originally that part wasn't in there. But I wanted to define the character of Taj just a bit and give him something unique to him. And the idea of changing eye color popped into my head. See what kinda ideas one can come up with when bored at work? hehe :D

Thanks guys!

Look for part 2 probably on Sunday.

Obi

6. dianethx

dianethx Jedi Grand Master star 6

Mar 1, 2002
    Oh good. Another Obi the Kid fic. Liked the viewpoint of the OC and how excited he is about getting a new apprentice. It's sweet...and I loved that Qui-Gon threatened to ruffle Obi-Wan's hair in front of Obi's apprentice when the time comes. Cute.

Looking forward to more...

7. PadawanKitara

PadawanKitara Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 31, 2001
    This is a great start :)

8. Ginger_Jedi

Jun 4, 2001
    Up! :D

Roll on Sunday!!!

9. Obi the Kid

Apr 13, 2000
    Thanks, PadawanKitara! Thanks for the UP, Ginger! Here's part 2 for ya!

PART 2

~*~

After the satisfying meal and the belt-loosening desert that Dex had manipulated them into eating, the small group paid their bill and prepared to head for home. Dex was there so see them off. This time he pulled not only Obi-Wan into a bone crushing hug, but Taash and Taj as well.

"You bring that young one in here soon, Taash. I'd like to spoil him from the start." Dex grinned broadly. "You both are friends of Obi-Wan. Anything you need, you let me know. Okay?"

"Thanks, Dex,"

"Anytime, Obi-Wan. And tell your master I expect to see him soon. I'll have his favorite dish ready for him."

Final goodbye's said, they headed for home, piling into the first available transport. Obi-Wan noticed his older friend taking several deep breaths on the way back to the temple. Still trying to settle himself.

"You know, Taash, I've never seen you like this. You're usually composed and relaxed. I do believe you are getting a bit over anxious as the hours pass."

His friend shrugged. "This is the most important decision I've ever made, Obi-Wan. You wait until your time comes. When you find that apprentice that you know you were meant to teach. Then you'll know these feelings."

"I know. It's good to see you so happy."

Taash stopped and glanced out the window of the transport. His eyes following some of the larger ships in the distance. "I hope Master Kem approves."

"I'm sure he will. Perhaps he is what is driving this. You said that you know the Force is guiding your decision. Your master is there. Watching you. If Ryin wasn't meant to be your apprentice, I think you'd have known it by now. The Force would have told you. Master Kem's way of showing you that he does approve and that he's proud of the responsibility you'll be taking on."

"I'd never thought about it that way before. I did speak with Master Greft about it a week ago. Before I had decided definitely. He thinks it's this is a good thing for me. Told me I've been lonely since I lost Master Kem. Ryin would be good for me. He would give me something to focus on. Someone to care about."

Relaxing into the seat, Taash leaned his head back and sighed. In the seat behind him, Taj spoke spoke quietly. His eyes, now a darker, heavier blue, intense for a moment. "I know that lonely feeling. Even though Master Jerra is still here, it's odd being on your own after so many years of companionship. Such a strange feeling. One day you are working beside your mentor, each of you depending on the other. The next day that person is gone and you are expected to be ready to take on his legacy. It's a huge weight to place on the shoulders of young knight. But it gets easier. And there are other knights and masters who are willing to offer advice. I've taken enough of them up on their offers to know about it. Still, I turn to Master Jerra before anyone. Our bond...our close friendship is still there if not our working relationship."

When Obi-Wan glanced sideways at Taash, he noticed one silent tear falling softly down the side of his face. He knew that unintentionally, Taj had hit on old memories that Taash had been attempting to put behind him for a long time. Time, he thought, would heal the wound in his heart that had bled since the day Kem Tovaar died. And it did, but only to an extent. Obi-Wan glanced back at Taj and motioned slightly towards their friend.

"Taash, I'm sorry," Taj said. "I didn't mean to remind you of what you lost. I'm sorry."

Head still back and eyes closed, Taash shook his head the reached up to run a hand through his dark gold hair. "No, it's okay. Just...sometimes the memories still hurt."

"Will you tell Ryin about him?"

"Yes. He made me who I am. Ryin will hear all about him."

"I bet you can't wait to start sharing the stories." Taj grinned as Taash opened his eyes and gripped the consoling hand that Taj had placed on his shoulder.

"Oh, I have many stories to tell.

10. dianethx

Mar 1, 2002
    That was sweet, especially the "old" comments about Qui-Gon's hair...LOL. It's nice to see the two adjusting to one another...

Looking forward to more....

11. PadawanKitara

Dec 31, 2001
    I love the characters and their personalities comming through in this story :)

12. Ginger_Jedi

Jun 4, 2001
    That chapter was great - and then end was so cute!

Loving it OTK :D More soon ^_^ Don't make me come after you with an axe yelling HEEEEEEERE'S GINGER because if you don't post soon I promise I will do that ;)

13. Seraphena

Seraphena Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 20, 2003
    Loved it. Wonderful start to a new apprenticeship, Taash might just be in for fun if he lets obi teach his padawan how to be a padawan.

Can't wait for more.

14. Obi the Kid

Apr 13, 2000
    Thanks guys!!! I appreciate all the comments. I may need to ask for protection from Ginger...she's coming after me if I don't post again..and soon! hehe! :D

Part 3 I hope will be up on Tuesday.

Thanks for reading!

Obi

15. Obi the Kid

Apr 13, 2000

PART 3

~*~

Taash awoke. Startled. The small voice coming from his padawan's bedroom had penetrated the entire apartment. The cry of 'Master' brought the Jedi out of bed and quickly to Ryin's room. The boy was sitting on the bed, staring at a broken object in the corner of the room.

"Padawan, what's wrong? Are you injured?"

"No, Master. I think I broke the wall chrono though."

He glanced at the smashed object lying on the floor. Definitely broken. "What happened?"

"I was practicing my Force control, like you said I should when I can't sleep. I lifted it off the wall. And held it...kinda. For a few minutes. I got excited though and lost my concentration. Then it fell."

They'd been together for almost two weeks now, and Taash was quickly getting to know the young Jedi's strong points. And his weak ones. One of Ryin's issues was that at times, he had trouble sleeping. There didn't seem to be any reason for it. He admitted that he'd had the problem while he was an initiate, but he didn't know why. Taash had given serious thought about taking him to visit with Healer Terran. Just to make sure there was no medical reason for the insomnia. It didn't happen every night, but often enough to be an issue that the new master was concerned with. He'd spoken with Ryin about it, and about how to put his time awake to good use. One of the exercises he'd recommended was Force control. However he'd never given thought to lifting a chrono off the wall. Even he hadn't thought about that one when he was younger. Perhaps Force control was not a good middle of the night exercise to attempt after all.

"We'll, that's easy to replace. Maybe next time you can try something safer."

"Yes, Master. But I did it. I held it up."

"That's wonderful, Padawan. I am very proud of you. We'll work on how to train yourself to concentrate longer." He paused for a short moment. "Ryin, are you sure there is nothing bothering you and that's why you can't sleep? Nightmares or anything of the sort?"

"I'm sure, Master. I don't remember ever having nightmares before. Just...sometimes I can't sleep."

"Okay," Taash sighed. "But I want to get you into the healers soon. To put my mind at ease. This might be a problem that they can treat."

"Okay, Master. But do we have to see Healer Terran? Obi-Wan told me that he has really cold hands."

A loud laugh erupted from the young master. How many times had Obi-Wan complained about that the temperature of that mans hands? "Yes, he's told me the same. But Healer Terran is one of the best healers in the temple. He's treated me several times. Cold hands and all." Ryin by now had climbed into his bed and allowed his teacher to pull the blanket around his shoulders. "We'll talk more about this tomorrow. Just lie back and reach for the Force if you can't sleep. It might help guide you."

He reached up and ruffled the boy's hair. Something he'd always wanted to do. Something that Master Kem did to him when he was young. Something that he desperately missed.

"Goodnight, Master."

"Goodnight, Padawan."

Ryin didn't sleep much that night. Perhaps dozing off from time to time. The unknown keeping him awake. And Taash could sense that his student was not sleeping, but eventually he had no choice and he needed to allow his own body to get the rest that it craved.

~*~

Healer Terran Va'lor greeted the pair enthusiastically as they entered the medical ward. He was flanked by his former apprentice, a Knight named Kresh Sarem. A man that Ryin immediately took an interest in because of the intense copper-orange eyes that dominated the darker complexion of his young face. Kresh was about the same age as Taash, but because of a late start into the healing field, he had only been knighted a year ago. He'd chosen to remain working with his former master in this wing of the medical ward, knowing he still had lessons to learn. And working with someone he respected so much, made for a friendly and comfortable atmosphere. He stood back

16. dianethx

Mar 1, 2002
    I loved the interaction between the two. The Master so patient and kind, realizing that the poor kid might think that he's doing something wrong when it's just medical...

Loved the fact that Taash told Ryin about his old Master - a legacy from one Padawan to another...

Keep up the good work!

17. Keeper_of_Swords

Keeper_of_Swords Jedi Master star 5

Sep 20, 2003
    Just read this. Great tale

I liked the mention of the trials and the everydaylife in the Jedi Temple

Qui-gon's fatherly figue was well portrayed

Putting in Dex was cool

Part I liked best...

The final touch to the saber was to select the color and insert the crystal. Ryin chose a green blade to coincide with his masters blue one. Several careful minutes later, the work was complete. Ryin stepped away from the table and held the hilt away from his body. One press of the button and the brilliant emerald green blade hummed to life. The biggest smile Taash had ever seen came across the young face.

This is the Remembrance Room. Each candle honors a fallen Jedi.")...This is really good. Continues to add to the Jedi Culture.

"Master, why does Master Qui-Gon call Master Yoda 'that evil little troll'?"

Ho..that's funny.

But shows the rebellious nature of Qui-Gon, and that he may have not agreed with him before.

18. PadawanKitara

Dec 31, 2001
    This just keeps getting better and better

19. Obi the Kid

Apr 13, 2000
    Ah, thanks guys! You made my morning. I was worried about posting a story that focused on original characters, which is why I wanted Qui and Obi to be in there. I'm very happy to know that these new guys are going over well. Thank so much for sticking with this story and for all your comments!

Part 4 should will be posted Thursday.

Thanks!
    Obi

20. Ginger_Jedi

Jun 4, 2001
    Great post OTK :) You're OCs are so real! You've written them really well. I have to admit I do sometimes find it hard to read OC stories but this one is truly engrossing.

And Qui-Gon's comments on Yoda are very amusing ;)

Looking forward to tomorrow's post. Consider my axe put in a cupboard far, far away :D

21. Obi the Kid

Apr 13, 2000
    Whew! I'm safe from the wrath of Ginger. Hehe! It's funny...I don't read alot of original character stories..and never thought I would write one that focused on them. But things just kept evolving and lead me to writing a story based on OC's! Go figure! :D Thanks!

Here's part 4!

PART 4

~*~

"Master, Jarin is over there with his master. Can we eat at that table?"

"Sure. Lead the way."

The two Jedi wandered towards the table in the far corner of the room. Master Kieren Yao and his apprentice, Jarin Laashar welcomed them. Jarin and Ryin had been good friends during their days as initiates. Taash encouraged his learner to spend free time with friends. Trying to maintain friendships was difficult in the mobile life of Jedi who worked the field and Taash knew how important it would be for Ryin to develop and solidify relationships now while he was still young.

Taash himself was looking forward to getting the opportunity to speak with a master so renowned as Kieren Yao. Perhaps if Ryin and Jarin continued to be close friends during their apprenticeship, he would develop a friendship with Yao. Taash had few close friends. Obi-Wan, Qui-Gon, Taj and his interim master, Greft Salem where the only ones he could claim. He was well liked however, just slow to form close relationships. He knew what it felt like to lose a loved one, and therefore had a hard time allowing himself to get close to those outside his small circle of friends.

Ryin was greeted by his friend. Jarin's heavily accented voice gave the blonde haired boy an air of confidence, despite his young age. "Hi Ryin! Good afternoon, Master Taash."

"Hello, Jarin. Mind if we join you?" Taash waited for the approving nod of Master Yao.

Kieren Yao acknowledged the pair. "Taash, Ryin. It's wonderful to see you both. These first weeks can be hectic." The man's yellow eyes shone brightly as they contrasted his gray skin of his sculpted face. "Please have a seat. Ryin, are you finding apprenticeship to be everything you thought?"

Intimidated by the mere presence of Master Yao, a man who the initiates regarded as one of the greatest Jedi of them all, Ryin was not prepared for the man's direct attention. His words stumbled out of his mouth. "Um...Master Taash...he's...um...yes. It's a lot to...uh, get used to, Master Yao."

"Please call me Master Kieren. Surnames are so formal. I understand from my own apprentice, that you and he were good friends for several years while initiates."

"Yes, Master Kieren." Ryin glanced up at his master. Taash saw the nervousness in his face but encouraged him with a nod. "Jarin and I have known each other for over four years. We shared a lot of the same classes."

"Wonderful. So you know each other very well then. I hope that the two of you will be able to continue your friendship as you go through you training. I do know how padawans enjoy comparing their masters with each other." He smiled and winked at Jarin who in turn flushed slightly and tried to look innocent by fiddling with the food on his plate.

Taash laughed as Ryin too tried to hide his embarrassed expression by becoming suddenly obsessed with what was on his plate. "Don't worry, we were all like that once. I remember rambling on with several others my age about our masters. What we hated about them. What we liked. Which master was the better swordsman. And we'd even talk about the older padawans." He waited for the reaction from the two students. The one that told him they knew exactly what he was talking about. "Yes, that's no secret either."

"Master," Ryin started as he lifted is attention away from his food. His eyes then caught several familiar faces at a distant table. An escape. "May I be excused? Tiann and Jemrin are over on the other side of the cafeteria. Could I go sit with them? I haven't seen them in a few weeks."

"Certainly. A good way to escape this conversation as well," he replied with a grin.

"Thank you, Master." The boy gathered his meal tray and quickly mo

22. Ginger_Jedi

Jun 4, 2001
    :eek:

GREAT post OTK! Ryin is such a sweet little guy, you've made him and Taash so realistic. And I really enjoyed how Taash interacted with Kieren. His concerns were portrayed in a superb way and Kieren's advice was spot on :)

But poor Obi-Wan... I hope he's gonna be okay!

More soon. But I'll be sad when this is over :(

23. Shaindl

Shaindl Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 18, 2002
    Great set of posts, OTK! The last one with Obi being injured and Ryin trying to figure out how to make him fell better was especially well done. We've all been there, trying to come up with the right words when sometimes all that's needed is a friendly presence. You hit it right on the head. :)

Great job! Can't wait for the final part.

Shaindl

24. dianethx

Mar 1, 2002
    I like this pairing. Taash is so patient with his young apprentice, taking the time to explain things to him that might not be obvious. And Ryin is sweet, trying his hardest to do the right thing. I liked, too, how you showed Qui-Gon - the worried Master - first pacing and then putting his head in his hands.

An all-around lovely post!

25. Obi the Kid

Apr 13, 2000
    Ginger, Shaindl and Diane...Thanks again! I think I got the right amount of blending characters like Qui and Obi with these new guys. The established characters help to expand the newer ones. :)

Thanks for reading!

I'll probably wrap this thing up tomorrow (friday). So I can hit you guys before you go and stuff yourselves with Halloween candy. Hehe. So look for the final part tomorrow morning sometime.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.