main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Before - Legends Fic: The Weight of Words (Qui/Obi Mush JA) Part 2 posted! (Complete)

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by adawn, Dec 12, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. adawn

adawn Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 16, 2005
    Hi all!

This is my first post here, but I've been lurking for quite a while. I wanted to share my first fic with all of you.

This is only the first bit. The second half will be posted later today. I hope you enjoy it!

Title: The Weight of Words
    Author: adawn
    Timeframe: After JA 7, Obi-wan is 13
    Genre: Shameless mush!

It happened first not long after he had agreed to take the boy back as his padawan. The older man had been woken by the clear signals of distress eminating from Obi-Wan's quarters, and a quick scan of the Force had shown no real danger. It was clear that Obi-Wan didn't recognize that, that the boy was caught in negative dreams and thoughts. Indeed the raw anguish he sensed almost nailed Qui-Gon's feet to the floor.

//Wake Padawan. Let your fears go// he sent over their bond as he approached the boy's room. He could hear the whimpering through the closed door ? clearly his gentle force-suggestion had had no effect.

Running his hand over Obi-wan's hair, he laid his other hand on his apprentice's forehead, checking for fever. He was met with cool skin, much to his relief.

?Obi-wan?? he said aloud, sending waking suggestions over the bond once again. As the boy drifted to consciousness he cried more fully, tears falling down his cheeks.

//What has frightened you so, my brave Padawan?//

The teary blue eyes caught his own, and asked the one-word question. ?Master??
    ?Yes, it is me, Obi-wan I am here. Where were you?? he asked with quiet teasing.

He did not expect the strength of the relief that washed over his padawan as the boy clutched his tunic.

//You came. You came for me!// came the quiet sob over their bond. Qui-Gon did not pause to consider what Obi-wan's words meant Rather, he sent immediate waves of comfort over the bond.

//Of course I came for you, child. I will always come when you call, if it is within my power//

//Thank you, Master// came the reply, and Qui-gon could feel the boy relax and drift closer to sleep. Just before giving in to slumber Obi-wan sent one last thought over the bond.

//Please stay with me. Don't leave me Umé-li//

Now, 6 months later they stood before the council to report on the progress of their training and the work at rebuilding their bond.

?And do you feel things are going well, Padawan Kenobi??
    ?Yes Master Windu, I do.?
    ?And do you trust your Master, are you loyal to him?
    ?Until my last breath, Master Windu.?
    The council member's eyes flickered at the strength of the reply.
    ?And what of your Master? Do you feel he trusts you??
    Obi-wan stiffened. ?I would not blame him if he did not, sir.?
    Mace Windu frowned. ?Remember, Padawan Kenobi, just as it is important for you to be trust and be loyal to your Master, we expect your Master to return the compliment. If you do not feel this perhaps Master Jinn is failing you.?

?No!? Obi protested loudly before he had time to think. ?He has never failed me! He is not capable of it. He is the best Jedi ever and my Umé-li! I could not ask for better."
    As soon as he recognized what he had said, and in the presence of the great council members, Obi-wan attempted to slam his mental shields up. A quick glance revealed only a few of the members knew his native tongue and had registered his words. Thank the force his master was not one of them.

?Masters, I-I'm...?

?Take back the words you cannot,? Master Yoda spoke up. Qui-Gon could practically see his apprentice physically wilt under the words. Obi opened his mouth to speak but was stopped by Yoda. ?Spoken in haste sometimes the truest words are.? He gave the pair a once over, resting on Obi-wan. ?Umé-li, hmmmm??

Obi-wan flushed and just nodded sadly.

?Return to your quarters you may, young Kenobi. A good report you have given. Stay, Qui-Gon Jinn, you shall.?

//Rest easy, child, you've done well and have nothing to fear//

No returning thought came through their bond as the boy left.

Turning to the council he released his anger and said ?It seems cruel to

2. BrentusofGath

BrentusofGath Jedi Master star 4

Aug 12, 2005
    "Papa. He called you Papa." she laughed.

:D

I like it. You called it, it is mushy, but I can handle it. ;)

I am looking forward to the second post!

3. Gkilkenny

Gkilkenny Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 27, 2004

that was a lovely bit of sweet mush;)

Your first story has my attention I like reading mushy
    stories.

Well done=D=

4. SakuraTsukikage

SakuraTsukikage Jedi Master star 4

Oct 24, 2005
    Very sweet. I like [face_love]. There's more, right?

5. Healer_Leona

Healer_Leona Squirrel Wrangler of Fun & Games star 9 Staff Member Manager

Jul 7, 2000
    Awwww, that is just the perfect start of my say. Qui&Obi mush. A most delightful viggie adawn.

6. dianethx

dianethx Jedi Grand Master star 6

Mar 1, 2002
    That was quite cute. I liked that Obi-Wan called him papa. Gotta love the mush.

7. VaderLVR64

VaderLVR64 Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 5, 2004
    A great way to start out my day! =D=

8. Neon Star

Neon Star Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 30, 2000
    That was too adorable. [face_love] Wonderful little mush story. Can't wait to read the rest. :)

9. Bastet

Bastet Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 30, 1999
    Awwwwww!! [face_love]

Very lovely mush, adawn! I can't wait for the second part! :D

10. KELIA

KELIA Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 26, 2005
    ?Papa. He called you Papa.?

Awwww...that was so sweet.

I hope Qui-Gon can handle it.

Great job!

=D= =D= =D= =D=

11. Stella_Ripple

Stella_Ripple Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 29, 2005
    Aww, what a way to show Obi's innocence! Wonderful mush! [face_love] Can't wait to see more from you!
    Welcome to the boards!

12. Garen_Muln

Garen_Muln Jedi Youngling

Dec 8, 2005
    aww how cute ^^ i love mush, especially obi/qui mush [face_love]

ohh and btw iam female^^ so dont wonder cos of my username :)

13. LilQui-Gon

LilQui-Gon Jedi Youngling star 2

Jul 29, 2004
    Awwwww! [face_love] [face_love] [face_love] So much mush, I think I'm gonna pop!

14. Kestrel_Kenobi

Kestrel_Kenobi Jedi Master star 4

Sep 26, 2005
    Hello there...[:D]

Lovely, very sweet...I'm a big fan of mushy Obi/Qui stories.

I look forward to your update!

15. adawn

Oct 16, 2005
    BrentusofGath - Glad you can handle the mush! Second part just around the corner.

Gkilkenny - Thanks! I like reading mushy stories too.

SakuraTsukikage - Glad you like it. There's definitely a bit more.

Healer_Leona - yay! Thanks! Mush is the best breakfast.

dianethx - Thanks! I'm a sucker for the father/son dynamic.

VaderLVR64 - mush for breakfast again! Good!

Neon Star - Thanks for the compliment. More on the way!

Bastet - "awwwww" is the best compliment for mush! Thanks.

KELIA - you're about to find out if Qui-gon can handle it :)

Stella_Ripple - I like an innocent Obi. It makes the mush easier to write :)

Garen_Muln - yay! Glad you liked it!

LilQui-Gon - I'd watch out for this 2nd bit then, lol.

Kestrel_Kenobi - I'm a big fan of the mush too. The update is just below!

16. adawn

Oct 16, 2005
    Part two
    ---

He wasn?t sure how long he wandered through the temple gardens just trying to digest the scene that had played out before the council. He knew he should get back to their quarters as soon as possible to take to Obi-wan, Force, the boy was probably a breathing mass of anxiety, at this point. He knew that he couldn?t rush into this however. How he reacted to this moment could make or break them.

?Willing to take on this commitment, are you?? Qui-Gon remembered Yoda asking him. ?Easier to walk away now, it is, if you are not. Think less of you, no one will. Fathers, Masters are not expected to be.? The Jedi Master was kind with his words, but it was clear he expected an answer.

?The Council may not think less of me for walking away, but Obi-wan would. *I* would.? The man answered. ?It is only a word.?

?Weight, words do have. Rash you cannot be with a youngling?s feelings.?

?Words may have weight master, but this word does not have the weight to tear us apart, only to bind us together. If I may take my leave of you, I must go to my Padawan.?

They had allowed him to leave right away, yet he found himself here in the gardsns instead of back in their quarters. He did not need to examine his own heart for long. Indeed, he may not have come to the realization himself, but once the seed was planted, he could not deny that he felt a father's love for the boy in his charge.

But he also knew Obi-wan. The boy would think he was just humouring him. He would not believe himself capable of such love.

And then Qui-Gon knew exactly what he had to do.

In mere moments he found himself outside the door of Master Cezori, knocking rapidly. It was not long before the familiar face of the ginger-haired council member opened the door.

?Qui-Gon. Hello again. To what do I owe this pleasure??

Qui-Gon bowed formally. ?I require a small favour Master...?

Master Cezori moved aside and motioned him into her quarters.

He hadn't expected it to take 20 minutes, but it could not be helped, and he found himself rushing back to his own quarters. He could feel his Padawan's anxiety and shame well before he reached the door.

From the emptiness of the common room, Obi-wan was locked away in his room.

//Obi-Wan// he sent over the bond, //you do not have to hide from me//

//I'm not hiding, Master, I am studying//

Qui-Gon sent the mental idea of an eyebrow raising across the bond.

//How conscientious of you, Padawan mine, but I would like you to come talk to me//

//I have an assignment...//

Enough was enough. ?Obi-wan, come out of your room, please.? he spoke out loud. The please was just for form, the words had the clear undertone of an order to them.

The door to the boy's room opened slowly, and he inched his way out, eyes trained to the floor. He moved just far enough out of the room to be considered ?in the common room? while staying a safe distance from the older man.

?Do you fear I will strike you, Padawan??
    Obi-wan's head snapped up. ?No Master! Never!?
    ?Then why do you stand so far away? It is clear you fear something.?
    Silence hung between them for some moments.
    ?They told you, didn't they??
    ?Yes, Obi-Wan, they told me.?
    ?I'm sorry Master, it should be enough that you have accepted me back. I do not mean to impose on you, and I promise I will try to stop...this.?
    ?Please come to me, child.? The request was so gentle that the young boy could not deny it. He approached the couch where his Master sat, and stood quietly in front of him.

?I will not reject you, child. I am honoured and touched by your feelings, and return them my son.? At these last words he took Obi-wan's smaller hands in his own. ?Do you believe me??

Sad eyes met his. ?I want to, Master.?

Gently he lifted the boy's chin and looked him straight in the eyes. ?I love you, meya quenïïn*?

The child's knees buckled under him, and he was grateful for his Master's strong arms to catch him and pull him closer, almost folding the boy into his robe.

?How ? I ? Mast-- how??

17. BrentusofGath

BrentusofGath Jedi Master star 4

Aug 12, 2005
    That almost made me :_|

But I'm a guy, so I just sucked it up and shook it off.

BTW, =D= That was great.

There is going to be more? Right? You did say it was 2 parts, but you could have been lying? Right? :D

18. SakuraTsukikage

SakuraTsukikage Jedi Master star 4

Oct 24, 2005
    That was so sweet. So sweet. [face_love] I love that Qui-Gon put in so much effort to easing Obi's insecurities. Adorable.

19. Gkilkenny

Gkilkenny Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 27, 2004

That was beautiful=D=

Qui-Gon went out of his way to find
    out how to speak Obi-wans
    native language.
    That shows he really cares

Well done[face_dancing]

Expecting another great story from you soon adawn

@};-

20. Stella_Ripple

Stella_Ripple Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 29, 2005

?Words may have weight master, but this word does not have the weight to tear us apart, only to bind us together. If I may take my leave of you, I must go to my Padawan.?
    A wonderful idea to base this fic on =D=
    And as for Qui's idea, mangled pronounciation or not, that was so sweet!
    A lovely piece of work!

21. Lady_Snow_Kaguya

Lady_Snow_Kaguya Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 9, 2005
    *melts*

just....*sighs happily* I think I have a new cavity...[:D]

22. LilQui-Gon

LilQui-Gon Jedi Youngling star 2

Jul 29, 2004
    As Qui-Gon tucked him into his sleep couch Obi-Wan woke just long enough to ask ?Again, umé-li?? The older Jedi stroked the boys hair, and planted a kiss on his forehead. ?Sleep now, knowing you are loved, meya quenïïn*?

That was sooooo SWEET! *Swells up like a ballon* Uh-Oh! *Pop*

[face_love] [:D] @};-

23. maychorian

maychorian Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 7, 2005
    Oh, what a lovely little fic. [face_love] I adore stories where Qui and Obi have a father/son relationship.

24. jacen200015

jacen200015 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 11, 2002
    Wonderfully written :)

25. Jedi_Tigris

Jedi_Tigris Jedi Knight star 4

Mar 7, 2005
    Awww, so thoughtful of Qui to learn that bit to assure Obi of his place. [face_love]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.