main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Before - Legends FIC: Understanding (JA) *Epilogue posted 4/10/03*

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by Obi the Kid, Apr 4, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JediClare

JediClare Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 8, 2001
    Sorry I haven't read this sooner...I'm paying for my procrastination of homework over the past few weeks.

Poor Taj. I'm glad he has a supportive Master and friends to help him.

I can't say I fully understand Taj's situation, because I've not been in it before. But I do hope things turn out well.

Force be with you and your friend, OTK. :)

2. Renton Kenobi

Renton Kenobi Jedi Master star 4

May 24, 2000
    Amazing as usual.

-Renton Kenobi

3. Obi the Kid

Obi the Kid Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 13, 2000
    Thank you Clare. I appreciate your words. Good luck with the homework! :D

Thanks to you as well Renton!

Obi

4. Padawan_Jess_Kenobi

Padawan_Jess_Kenobi Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 20, 2002
    Wow. You captured Qui-Gon's caring and reassuring nature perfectly. The ways he comforts his padawan is great. And Obi-Wan, you have got his emotional feelings down pat. I can just feel his frustration and sadness, etc. Bravo! This is turning out to be amazing!! :D

5. KrystalBlaze

KrystalBlaze Jedi Master star 5

Aug 3, 2002
    I totally understand Taj's character and you writing him exactly to point. Good job. I understand Obi's anger as well.

6. Obi the Kid

Apr 13, 2000
    Thanks SO much Krystal and Jess. You guys are making me feel a great deal better about this. I'm glad that the emotions are coming across accurately.

Thanks again for all of your comments.

Obi

7. Renton Kenobi

May 24, 2000
    Always here to comment! :D

8. Obi the Kid

Apr 13, 2000

The next week was the same for Obi-Wan. Even though he knew about the depression that afflicted his friend, and he?d found out more information about the illness, it was still hard for the young Jedi to deal with the sudden silence that had become his friendship with Taj. Two weeks now and not a word from his fellow padawan. It was beyond frustrating. But he did well to release his feelings into the Force as Qui-Gon had instructed. It did help to an extent.

He also took advantage of Jerra?s visits with Qui-Gon to ask about Taj. It wasn?t until the middle of week three that the master had a small amount of good news to report.

?He?s showing signs that things might be turning around,? Jerra said as the three of them sat down for lunch in the dining hall. They were well isolated at a corner table. His mood has improved a bit and he?s not so tired all of the time. This has been his most severe attack since the depression was diagnosed. We are both learning things about the illness which we didn?t know before. Give him more time, Obi-Wan. I know it?s important for you to need to know how he is. And I know you miss his company. But this is the best way he knows how to handle this. I think we?re moving in the right direction now.?

?I don?t mean to be a pain, Master Jerra. I?m just worried is all.?

?I know you are. And I appreciate that. You?re a good friend to my padawan. He?s told me many times in the past what a great time you both have together. You?ll see those times again soon enough. Bear with us.?

Obi-Wan nodded and turned his attention to his food.

~*~

At the end of week three, Obi-Wan had just returned from a tough work out with his master. Qui-Gon had gone off to meet with the council after cleaning up, while the padawan decided to see what there was to eat in the kitchen. When he walked in the door to his apartment, he saw that the message light on his data pad lighting up. He punched in his code.

The message was from Taj.

<<Hi, Obi-Wan. How have you been? I?m okay, I guess. Master Jerra
    told me that you?d asked about me. I?m having a hard time getting past
    this, but things are somewhat better. It just takes time, I think.

Taj>>

A sad smile spread across Obi-Wan?s face. He could feel the pain in Taj?s written words. The short message sounded almost gloomy. Not the Taj that Obi-Wan had gotten to know so well over the past few years. But he was also aware now that this illness was part of his friend. That he would have to accept and learn to understand it if he was to keep a close friendship with the older padawan.

This was a start. A short message. If nothing else, it said to Obi-Wan that there was still a friendship there. Something he?d had more and more doubts about as the days and weeks went on. Now he needed to respond, but in a way that?s wouldn?t pressure Taj. He sat down, with his data pad in his lap and began to carefully construct his reply message.

<<Hi, Taj. I?m glad things are getting better. I?ve been worried about
    you. Take care of yourself. That?s what?s most important right now.
    I miss you.

Obi-Wan>>

The emotions of the past weeks temporally got the best of Kenobi, and as he was typing his message, several tears escaped. He quickly wiped them away and hit the send key. Hoping he?d done the right thing by replying.

When he didn?t hear back from Taj again that day, he began to question his actions. Maybe he should not have replied to his friend. Maybe he should have said less. The emotions warred within him and again he worried that he?d done something he shouldn?t have.

Qui-Gon got home later that evening. Obi-Wan greeted him with a solemn mood. ?Hi, Master. How did your meeting go??

?The council has the habit of putting people to sleep with the way they conduct meetings. I barely escaped without being caught with my eyes closed.? He paused for a moment to take in the distressing atmosphere of the room. ?Obi-Wan??

?I heard from Taj today. He left a message on my data pad. He

9. Renton Kenobi

May 24, 2000
    Oh geez this is so sad. So wonderful, but sad. :D You are so good Obi the Kid! :) And I'm the first person to read it! Yay!

10. Ginger_Jedi

Ginger_Jedi Jedi Knight star 6

Jun 4, 2001
    All caught up :)

Amazing posts OTK. Your writing emotions and situations so well.

11. Obi the Kid

Apr 13, 2000
    Renton was first, YAY! :D Thanks to you and to Ginger for your comments. I think there is one more post left in this story and then the epilogue (which will just be one post) which is an Obi POV.

Thanks!

Obi

12. KrystalBlaze

Aug 3, 2002
    A really heartfelt part. I'm glad Taj is getting better. Hopefully he'll be find by the end of this fic. I mean, I myself know that I never really recovered from mine, but you learn to move on. Well, good job. :)

13. Renton Kenobi

May 24, 2000
    It isn't very often that I am first in anything. :D

14. Padawan_Jess_Kenobi

Nov 20, 2002
    Wow, this is so heartfelt! The emotion you are clearly putting into this story is really paying off. This is amazing! [face_love] Its so true how Taj is very slowly progressing. This reads like such a true story, and really strikes your tear ducts, there. :)

15. Obi the Kid

Apr 13, 2000
    Renton, I think the same goes for me! :D

Thanks Krystal and Jess! I've made this as close as I possibly can to the truth as I've seen it. I'm glad the emotions are very real. It's something I really tried to do...helps get the feelings out!

Thanks guys, I truly appreciate all of your comments for this one.

Obi

16. TheSwedishJedi

TheSwedishJedi Jedi Master star 4

Sep 15, 2001
    Again, good post. Glad to see Taj is getting better. Can't wait for more.

~Swede :p

17. Obi the Kid

Apr 13, 2000
    Thanks Swede!!!!!

Obi

18. Obi the Kid

Apr 13, 2000
    Here's the last part. An Obi POV epilogue will follow tomorrow morning.
    ==============================

Through the routine of the next days, Obi-Wan did his best not to let the situation with Taj worry him so much. He did hear from his friend several more times and he could definitely begin to see that Taj was working his way back to normalcy.

But it surprised Obi-Wan when he and Qui-Gon decided to take in a late dinner in the dining hall, that over in the corner there were two familiar faces. Master Jerra Derson and his Padawan, Taj Elim.

?Master??

?I see them, Obi-Wan. Go ahead and make your way over there. It won?t hurt to just stop for a moment and say hi.

The pair edged around the tables of the large but almost empty room. Obi-Wan eventually came to stand next to the table. He held his food tray in his hand. Taj looked up at him.

?Hi, Taj.?

The dark complexion of the older apprentice hid nothing of the fatigue that was still present, but he smiled at the sight of his friend.

?Hi, Obi-Wan. Master Qui-Gon. It?s good to see you both.? After a moment of pause, he continued. ?Won?t you join us??

The conversation was kept light and there was no real mention of Taj?s illness. But that was fine with everyone. It was a slightly awkward situation for the padawans, after so many weeks of almost complete silence, but they each did well. And by the time they had finished their dinner, the tension that had been there in the beginning, had given way to a more enjoyable feeling of contentment.

Taj and Jerra got up from the table. ?Obi-Wan, if you?re not busy tomorrow, maybe we can talk a walk somewhere. I?ve not been out much recently. I could use the exercise.?

?Sure,? Obi-Wan said. Shocked by the request. ?That would be great. We can maybe visit the waterfall gardens.?

?I haven?t been there in years. I?d like that. I?ll call you sometime tomorrow then.?

?Okay.?

?Goodnight, Obi-Wan. Goodnight, Master Qui-Gon.?

They watched the pair make their way from the room and past the doors. Jerra had an arm around his padawan?s shoulders the entire time.

Qui-Gon looked at his own student. ?I think, Obi-Wan, that things will be okay. He looks like he?s just about ready to try routine life again.?

?I hope so, Master. It?s hard to watch a friend when they hurt. It?s a feeling that I don?t much care for.?

?Nor do I, Padawan. Just remember to take things slow with Taj. Follow his lead. If you sense him not comfortable with a subject you brought up or something to that nature, don?t force anything on him.?

I think this whole experience has been one of my toughest lessons. But I have learned from it, Master.?

?I?m glad. I think we?ve all learned something. But it?s not enough to learn, you must remember.?

?I will, Master. I promise.?

~*~

Taj and Obi-Wan shared several hours the next day visiting. The long walk did them both good. Taj was not overly talkative, but he was company. Just like the evening before in the dining hall, conversation was kept away from any serious subjects. It brought a more relaxed feeling to the hours they spent together.

Yet, as they walked home towards Taj?s apartment, he stopped his friend in the hall just outside the door. The mood did become somber for a short time.

?I know I?m not the best company for you right now, Obi-Wan. I?m trying to get things back to normal. I really am. But it?s not easy. And I hope you don?t think it bad of me that I haven?t spoken to you about my depression. It?s just that?it?s a very sensitive subject for me. Very personal. I don?t want the added pressure of everyone knowing my problems and giving their advice on what I need to make myself feel better again. Actually, the only people I?ve talked to this about are Healer Terran and my master. That?s been tough enough for me. Just?bear with me, okay??

?It?s okay, Taj. I?ve been doing some research on depression to find out more about what it might feel like. I can only read the words that others have

19. Renton Kenobi

May 24, 2000
    *stands up on her seat and applauds*

Very well done! I did it again, I'm first! :D Yay for me. :)

20. TheSwedishJedi

TheSwedishJedi Jedi Master star 4

Sep 15, 2001
    Ahhh, how sweet. :D Very nice ending, Obi. You did a very good job describing a rather difficult subject. I hope your own problems worked out just as well. It's a very hard thing to deal with, on both ends. Can't wait for the POV.

~Swede :p

21. Ginger_Jedi

Ginger_Jedi Jedi Knight star 6

Jun 4, 2001
    Nice ending OTK :) You didn't make everything fine and dandy within a post but knowing that everything's getting better was a perfect conclusion :) Looking forward to the epilogue :D

22. Obi the Kid

Apr 13, 2000
    Thanks to all of you for really understanding this story. It's a very meaningful piece for me, and I am very glad you guys have shared your comments about it with me.

Things with my friend and I are slowly returning to normal. As they usually do after periods like this. But no matter how many times it happens, it's still difficult. It's been a trying month for us both. But I am happy to say that she's doing much better.

Thanks for allowing me to share my feelings thru story. It's helped me a great deal.

Obi

P.S. Renton, you did it again! YAY! You're getting good at this being first stuff! :D

23. KrystalBlaze

Aug 3, 2002
    Excellent, excellent fic! Bravo! *claps* I really enjoyed the way you ended it with not everything being ok because really it can never really be "ok". Great job, OTK! I hope to read more from you soon. Really beautiful job.

24. Renton Kenobi

May 24, 2000
    *does a jig in circles* ^_^

25. Padawan_Jess_Kenobi

Nov 20, 2002
    Wonderful. You made this fic absolutely perfect. It also gave me an insight on my friends sadness (not really too much depression.) You get that feeling that things will get better slowly, but they will never return back to normal. Beautifully done. This is among your best fics. :) I hope everything turns out well for you.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.