Fic: When the Storm Rises Up (a JA story)

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction Stories--Classic JC Board (Reply-Only)' started by Jedi Susie, Aug 29, 2000.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jedi Susie Force Ghost

star 4
    **Sorry for the cross posts**

Okay, now although there's no real proof of insanity in my family, I feel that I may be the first to prove that point wrong. That, I think, would be the only explanation as to why in the world I'm posting this fic when it's not completely done. I'm insane; completely and utterly. However, with that aside, I'll let you know that I'll do anything I can to keep updating regularly.

Spoilers: Well, there are actually quiet a lot of spoilers in this story for the JA books. I think they are JA #2, JA #5, JA #6 and JA #9. Also, Obi-Wan is 14 in this story.

Rating: PG. A little violence, angst, and drama. However nothing like 'Tigers' and this is not a sequel to that story.

Disclaimer: There *still* are not mine. Obi-Wan, Qui-Gon, the Council members and anything else that at all relates to the SW universe is not mine; including places and events. The title and excerpt come from the song 'If That's What it Takes' by Celine Dion. I don't own the song and have no permission to use it.

Archive: Wolfie's Site, The Jedi Temple and the Jedi Hotline. Thank you for wanting my stories it means a lot to me!

Anyway, I wanted to send a special thank you to Jen. She has been helping me out SO much with this story and been giving me great ideas all the time! Now, if she would only finish her story (hint hint wink wink) On a funnier note?DWA 4-ever!!!!!!! o_O

And finally:

/ / indicates Force messages
    ~ ~ indicates personal thoughts
    * * indicates italics

So, here's the actually story!

~~~~~~

"When the storm rises up, when the shadows descend
    Ev'ry beat of my heart, ev'ry day without end
    I will stand like a rock, I will bend till I break
    Till there's no more to give, if that's what it takes"
    ~
    "I will risk everything, I will fight, I will bleed
    I will lay down my life, if that's what you need
    Ev'ry second I live, that's the promise I make
    That's what I'll give, if that's what it takes"
    ~
    "Through the wind and the rain, through the smoke and the fire
    When the fear rises up, when the wave's ever higher
    I will lay down my heart, my body, my soul
    I will hold on all night and never let go"

~If That's What it Takes (by Celine Dion)

WHEN THE STORM RISES UP
    By: Susie
    Send both good and bad feedback to Ari82@aol.com (please note, I like good feedback more) ^_^

~~~~~~

The pounding sledgehammer was doing murder to Obi-Wan's concentration. He swore he could almost keep beat with the *thump thump thump* rhythm which it made. Obi-Wan brought his hand up to his temple. Yes sir, this headache was a nine out of ten on the pain scale. Sighing deeply, the apprentice tried to focus again on his astro-mathematics problems, but quickly lost his concentration for the twentieth time in the past five minutes.

~Sith, where's a large pain pill when you need one?~

Giving up, the young Jedi placed his homework aside and made his way to the kitchen.

~Maybe some food will help?~ Obi-Wan hoped it would help, because if it didn't then he would be in for a *very* long afternoon.

Grabbing some bread, he slowly ate it while concentrating on *not* concentrating on his headache. With the bread gone, but his headache still raging, Obi-Wan placed his head on top of his hands. Shutting his eyes, the young boy let sleep remove his headache with the regret of knowing he had undone mathematics homework.

~~~~~~

Qui-Gon entered his apartment and stopped in the doorway. In front of him, at the table, sat his Padawan. Or actually there *slept* his Padawan. The Master could not help but smile at the young boy. He had his head resting on the top of his hands. At closer inspection, Qui-Gon noticed a small drool puddle just outside of Obi-Wan's mouth.

Holding back his laughter, the older Jedi moved to his apprentice's side.

Making sure not to startle his Padawan, Qui-Gon spoke quietly. "Obi-Wan, you need to wake up."

After a few seconds, the young Jedi began to move and show signs of gaining consciousness. Finally, he opened his eyes a
  2. Jedi_KnightMariah Jedi Master

star 4
    I love it when Obi's young! Yay!!!!
  3. Kelly Kenobi Jedi Master

star 4
    Excellent start Susie! I hope we get updates on a fairly regular basis from you. If this is even half as good as 'The Tigers Come at Night' it should be a winner!
  4. Kelly Kenobi Jedi Master

star 4
    Up, I want to make sure everyone sees the new Susie thread!
  5. Bastet Jedi Master

star 4
    Thanks Kelly!
    Yay! Another story by Susie! Yay! I'm hooked already! Yay! (I guess I sound kind of hyper, huh?)
    Anyway, can't wait for more! :)
  6. padmemicheline Jedi Knight

star 3
    Great start, Suzie! I know how Obi-Wan feels when I get a terrible headache...especially when I'm trying to sleep. Anyhoo...hope you post more soon!
  7. Master_Tahl Jedi Knight

star 2
    Alright new story! Great post Jedi Susie, cant wait for another.
  8. jedi_master_gimpy Force Ghost

star 4
    wow!!! I am SO glad you started posting it, Susie!! What a great start!! I can't wait for more!!! :D

And don't worry, we'll give you a little bit of time before we start a lynch mob begging for the next post! ;)
  9. Jedi Susie Force Ghost

star 4
    Okay, now although this is two days of posts in a row...this may not always happen. Thank you gimpy for letting me know there won't be a mob right away....I was expecting a "not so, I lie" at the end of your message and was glad there wasn't one ^_^

Thanks to everyone else who has already responding to this story. Your feedback is greatly appreciated!!

Well, here's where you learn about the mission...enjoy!

Author: Susie
    E-mail: Ari82@aol.com I really, really enjoy feedback! ^_^
    Disclaimer: Not mine?still! I make no money from this work, either.
    Rating: PG for violence, drama, and angst
    Spoilers: JA books # 2,5,6 and 9
    Archive: Wolfie's Site, The Jedi Temple and the Jedi Hotline
    Notes:

* * indicates italics

~~~~~~

"Hears my words that I might teach you
    Take my hands that I might reach you"

~Sound of Silence (by Simon and Garfunkle)

~~~~~~

Healer Kat'in stood nervously inside the large Jedi Council room. This was *not* what she thought the Fathers meant by 'get help from other sources'. Never in a million years had she ever pictured herself in front of the famous Jedi Council. Yet now she stood here and had to request help from them. As if that was not hard enough to picture, Kat'in nearly fainted when they honored her request and called two Jedi to aid her and her planet.

On her ship over here, she had wondered again and again why the Fathers thought she, a healer, should go to ask for help. Now, however, she understood. Kat'in had stood before the Council and relayed the present condition of her planet, Vitta, in only the way a healer who had seen death could. She was able to express the pain and agony that her people had suffered; she could explain, in detail, the trails that the healers were going through.

A diplomat would never have been able to give her story the pain, and hope, that Kat'in could. It had left an impression on the Council, she was sure, for they had been quick to give her the aid she requested. If she had not remembered the state of her planet, Kat'in would have felt an overwhelming joy, but with her planet and its inhabitants slowly dying, she could feel nothing but impatience at wanting to get back and help.

The two large wooden doors to the Council opened and two Jedi came in. One, taller and obviously older, walked in with a younger Jedi following behind him. Immediately, Kat'in could tell they were a Master and Apprentice. The two newcomers bowed to the Council and faced the smallest member.

"Master Yoda, we are here on your request." Qui-Gon stated as he bowed to the small green Jedi.

"Glad you came fast. In grave need of help the Missean on Vitta are. Leave as soon as possible, you should."

Qui-Gon nodded. "Yes, Master we will be ready within the hour." The Jedi Master felt his apprentice shift a bit next to him and could tell exactly what he was thinking.

/We will learn of the mission later, Padawan./

/But Master, why not now?/

Only years of training kept Qui-Gon from smiling at the young boy's statement.

/Patience. We do not question where the Council sends us and we do not need to know why we are sent. We can learn that soon enough./

/Yes, Master./ Obi-Wan resisted the urge to sigh.

Yoda tapped his grimer stick on the ground, bringing both Qui-Gon and Obi-Wan back to attention.

"Healer from Vitta is here. Speak to you about mission she will." On que, Kat'in stepped out of a shadow and bowed to the two Jedi.

/See patiences does pay off./

/I see that now, Master./ Once again, Obi-Wan had to resisted the urge to sigh.

"Master Qui-Gon and Padawan Obi-Wan." Kat'in thanked her schooling on Vitta. She had learned enough about the Jedi to get by with respect and she also thanked the Council for telling her the names of the two Jedi that had entered the room. "I come before you to ask that you aid me and my planet. We are in a terrible state right now and need all the help we can get."

Obi-Wan was only half
  10. Jee-dai Jedi Knight

star 3
    I hope you post more soon? I'm wondering what's wrong with Obi?
  11. jedi_master_gimpy Force Ghost

star 4
    Hehe, I loved those last few playful comments between Obi-Wan and Qui-Gon, it's so nice to see them to open with each other! I have a 'bad feeling' that this supposedly mission might turn into at least a little Obi-Torture (not that we're known for that at this forum or anything!). Hm....I have another 'bad feeling' that Obi-Wan's headaches might be more serious than at first glance.

The story looks wonderful so far, Susie! (like normal!) :D You've done an excellent job of setting it up and I can't wait for more!
  12. Jedi Susie Force Ghost

star 4
    Just want to say thank you for the comments. Gimpy- Obi-Torure...what's that? Never heard of that on THIS board (jk!) ^_^

Hopefully, I'l have a post out in the next three days...sorry for the delay...but I swear no more than a month between posts. (jk!!) **ducks**

Thanks again for the FB
  13. Kelly Kenobi Jedi Master

star 4
    Don't tease by saying things like no more than a month between posts, my heart can't take statements like that! I much prefer the daily posts, but at least every couple of days!

Sounds to me like the Obi torture has already started, what with those headaches and all. It is a good thing they will have a healer with them and on their side! When you described her I got this mental image of Poison Ivy from Batman in my head, it was kind of funny! Loved Obi and Qui together, the teasing shows the depth of love they have for one another.

Hope for more soon!
  14. PadawanFifi Jedi Padawan

Just found this thread and thought I should up it. Post more soon.
  15. jedi_master_gimpy Force Ghost

star 4
    Of course you're welcome, Susie! Did I say Obi-Torture?! Sorry, I didn't realize what I was saying! ;) :D I've NEVER seen any of that in this forum!! I can't wait for more!!! And if it's a month between posts then I might start that lynch mob after all!! (Not even I'm that bad about posting!!! :p)
  16. Kelly Kenobi Jedi Master

star 4
  17. Jedi Susie Force Ghost

star 4
    Nope no new post yet...sorry...I wanted to let everyone know that I'll have a new post up tomorrow and sorry for the delay
  18. Healer_Leona Manager Emeritus

star 9
    Susie, this is a wonderfully intriguing story. I look forward to more.

Post often, post soon.

19. Jane Jinn Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    Susie, it's to-morrow! Where's the post? When do we find out that Obi-Wan has an incurable brain tumor? Come on, we want more!
  20. Jedi Susie Force Ghost

star 4
    And here?s the next part?
    Let?s see, I would love FB on the story (Ari82@aol.com) whether it is good or bad (I enjoy the good so much more though!)
    This is rated PG and has spoilers for JA # 2, 5, 6, and 9.
    I don?t own the characters created by George Lucas and make no money from this piece of work.

Oh, Kelly and Gimpy, I want to thank you for sticking with the story and giving FB at each post. That means a lot to me!

Jane Jinn, hey I got this out on time! And I do believe this part will confirm your idea of the brain tumor.

Healer_Leona, thank you and I do hope I continue to post often and post soon!

Also, Thanks to everyone else who has also responded.

** indicates italics

~~~~~~

Kat?in watched as the two Jedi came closer to her ship. It was all set for Vitta, and the healer realized she had never felt more nervous in her life. While she was with the Council she was all business; she had to save her planet. Yet, now that the Jedi had agreed to help, she felt lost. What was she suppose to do with them for the two-day journey? As a young child she had heard much about the power of the Jedi and always felt a bit fearful of them.

Now, she had two that would be in close contact with her for two days; the thought made her hands begin to shake. As she was lost in her own thoughts, the young lady did not hear the ramp open and nearly had a heart attack when she turned around and came face to face with an older man. She let out a small yelp of surprise before realizing who was standing in front of her.

?Master Jedi, I?m sorry. I didn?t hear you enter. If you would get seated we will take off shortly.? Kat?in tried to hide her trembling by moving around and fixing certain dials.

?That will be fine. My apprentice and I will seat ourselves and await any news you have for us.?

Qui-Gon turned around to speak to his apprentice, but noticed the boy was busy stretching and twisting his neck. Obi-Wan was not paying attention to his Master, rather to the very stiff neck, which he seemed to acquired. Finally, after a few more moves he opened his eyes and saw he was being watched.

Rather than apologize, the boy decided to explain. ?My neck appears to have stiffened and I was attempting to stretch it out.?

The older Jedi nodded his head and patted Obi-Wan on the shoulder. ?Very well Padawan, let us go to our seats. We will be taking off shortly.?

Kat?in watched the backs of the Jedi move out of the cockpit and sighed a breath of relief. For a bit longer, she could avoid the Jedi and focus on the ship and getting home. The healer worked as fast as she dared to, and before long, the ship was taxing and then in the air. The exhilaration of flight was lost on Kat?in as she worried about both the long, tedious flight with the Jedi and her planet?s inhabitants.

The ship soon found itself soaring through the blackness of space, and with a quick check at the coordinates, Kat?in made the ship ready for hyperdrive. Taking her seat and settling in, she quickly put the ship and its passengers into hyperspace.

After double checking everything and making sure the ship would be okay, the healer regretfully rose to her feet and made her way to the back of the ship where Qui-Gon and Obi-Wan were sitting.

~Come on Kat?in, they?re not going to bite you~

Straightening her back, the healer moved gracefully into the passenger section.

~~~~~~

Obi-Wan relished the first jolt, which the ship made when it was set into hyperdrive. It was a feeling that never lost its charm. All too quickly, the apprentice?s body got use to hyperspace and soon it felt no different than normal travel in a space car. Sighing, he opened his seat restraint and stood to stretch. He noticed his Master was doing the same.

?That was enjoyable.? The quote had become quite the motto of Obi-Wan when he and his Master had a comfortable take-off.

?Yes, it was. Now, why don?t you stretch out a bit more and then we can meditate for our mi
  21. Jane Jinn Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    Sorry to be so impatient! When I like a story, even one post a day is not enough for me!

Good post! I liked the way that Obi-Wan stretched and stretched and stretched, and then sat down just as Qui-Gon was about to say something, and then how he would never admit to his master that he felt better after meditation. The explanation of the Fathers was clear, too.

Now, is it really a brain tumour, or is it a migraine, or is something to do with the Force? I can't wait to find out more! (See how impatient I am?)
  22. Bastet Jedi Master

star 4
    Ack! What's wrong with Obi?
    Please post more soon! This story is awesome! :)
  23. Jedi Susie Force Ghost

star 4
    Jane- Thank you for the Fb and sorry that I make you wait between posts...I'll try to not make that wait too long! Your question will be answered somewhat soon. I will tell you that you are on the right path.

Bastet-Thank you for the FB also! It's so nice of you to respond.

To everyone else- There should be another post Monday...I'm going to a Labor Day party tomorrow ^_^ Thanks for hanging out!
  24. LadyVorgunby Jedi Knight

star 3
    Up!! And I am waiting for more!!
  25. Jedi Susie Force Ghost

star 4
    Okay, well here's the next part. There was a little problem with my laptop (I'm having it checked out tomorrow) but if it's not fixable (I'll DIE if it isn't) then I'm pretty much up a creek without a paddle because it has my story on it! Right now I have about 20 pages of it on disk, however I had added A LOT more to that, but it's on my laptop and not on my disk. So, that could mean more waiting for you guys until I can re-write the parts I'm missing. I'm sorry for that and believe me it's worse for you than me, because I will have no laptop and my mom will KILL me if it is broken. (BTW- if anyone has a laptop...what's wrong with it if when you turn it on (the power light does turn on) the screen does not turned on..but then when you try to turn it off you can't...if anyone knows that answer or how to fix it PLEASE e-mail me! Thxs)
    Anyway, enough with my problems...
    Here's the next part....
    Still rated PG and has spoliers for JA # 2, 5, 6, and 9.
    The characaters aren't mine and i make no profit from this work.
    Love to get FB (Ari82@aol.com).........Or laptop help!!!

When the Storm Rises Up (part 4)

~~~~~~

Obi-Wan continued to stare at the ceiling in his small sleeping room. It had to be close to one in the morning and he had been lying in bed for close to three hours now. After both his Master and the Missean healer had returned they all sat down for a nice dinner. They ate in a comfortable silence and just enjoyed the calming noises of the ship. After dinner, Kat'in had gone back to the cockpit to make sure all was set for the night, while Obi-Wan and Qui-Gon had gone through some short exercises. After a few hours of soothing katas, the younger Jedi had excused himself for bed.

That was at close to ten o'clock.

The apprentice heard his Master come to bed and pretended to be sleeping; that was close to two hours ago. The young boy had been trying to fall asleep, but his head had been such a bother that he had *yet* to fall into a restful sleep. He had nodded off for a few minutes here and there, but each time he was awakened by the pain in his head. Now things were getting ridiculous; he had to be up in less than five hours and *needed* his sleep.

Throwing the covers off of him, Obi-Wan fluffed his pillow and laid back down. Closing his eyes, the young boy tried yet *again* to fall asleep?

?and quickly woke up again. Groaning a little too loudly, Obi-Wan grabbed his blanket again and tried another position. He shut his eyes and prayed sleep would find him.

Qui-Gon watched his apprentice as the boy moved around in his bed. It was obvious the young Jedi could not fall asleep, and the Jedi Master wondered why his Padawan was having such trouble.

~Certainly he can't be worried about the mission~ Qui-Gon knew Obi-Wan would be excited about a mission, but he had never known the boy to be worried enough about a mission that it kept him awake. The older man waited a few moments as his apprentice appeared to fall sleep, but the Master soon realized Obi-Wan was, in fact, not asleep, rather he was just not fidgeting about.

Moving quietly, Qui-Gon removed himself from his bed and moved to the younger Jedi's bed.

"Padawan?" He kept his voice soft and attempted not to scare his apprentice.

It did not work, and Obi-Wan jumped nearly off his bed. Obviously he was *not* aware that his Master had gotten out of his bed.

"Master! I'm sorry; you startled me." The young boy had caught his breath and was now looking up at the older Jedi.

"Are you okay? You seem to have difficulty falling asleep." Obi-Wan felt like smacking himself in the forehead; he had awaken his Master.

"I'm terribly sorry, I just don't seem able to fall asleep."

Qui-Gon regarded his Padawan in the dark room. He had no reason not to believe his apprentice, yet he had a nagging feeling there was more of a reason why the boy could not fall asleep.

"Why can you not fall asleep?"

"Uh?I'm not completely sure." The young Jedi rationalized, it was not a complete lie, just not the comple
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.