main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Beyond - Legends Fidelis: Sorry (K/J) -- Chapter 9 up 16 May! (Completed!)

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by Dantana Skywalker, May 8, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dantana Skywalker

Dantana Skywalker Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 7, 2002
    This story has ended up a heck of a lot longer than I'd intended. I'd planned a vignette, I got a full short story.

Title: Fidelis: Sorry
    Author: DantanaSkywalker
    Timeframe: post NJO
    Characters: Kyp Durron, Jaina Solo
    Genre: songfic, romance, angst
    Keywords: K/J, Kyp, Jaina, angst
    Summary: Kyp's marriage falls apart, and Jaina deals with his return. 4th in a series. Previous are What If, Lies, Hold On.
    Author Notes: Once again, I only own Elsha and Jailyn. The song lyrics are "Bed Of Lies" by Matchbox Twenty.

[b]--Chapter One--[/b]

[i]No, I would not sleep
    In this bed of lies
    So toss me out and turn in
    And there'll be no rest
    For these tired eyes
    I'm marking it down
    To learning
    I am

-- Matchbox Twenty, "Bed Of Lies"[/i]

"Elsha? We have to talk."

His wife, Elsha Durron, looked up from her datapad. She looked tired, which wasn't surprising given that she spent all day following the Chief of State around. She'd pulled her blonde hair back in a bun that was falling down.

"That sounds ominous," she said.

Kyp shut their bedroom door and sat on the edge of the bed. "This is probably coming at the wrong time . . . Well, there's probably a never right time for this . . ."

Elsha set her datapad down and sat up, looking a little more alert. "What is it? What's wrong?"

His eyes swept over her before he closed them and sighed. "I have to take Jailyn to Ossus."

She blinked, the corners of her mouth turning down. "I thought we agreed that you weren't going to do that until he was older."

"He needs training [i]now[/i], El. You know it as much as I do. I know you hate to think that he's Force sensitive, but you can't make it go away by ignoring it. It doesn't work that way."

Elsha pinched the bridge of her nose. "Why [i]now[/i]?"

"Because he's three, and he needs training as soon as possible. Guided training." Kyp looked at the gold ring on his hand, then said, "I'm taking him at the end of the week. And I'm not coming back."

"You can't take my son away!" Elsha exclaimed. "Kyp . . . What's gotten into you?"

He stood, and walked towards the door, then came back and stopped by the bed. "I can't . . . You look at me with horror. Don't bother denying it, I've seen the way you recoil when I do something with the Force, or when Jailyn does."

She shook her head violently. "I do not!"

Kyp reached out with the Force and lifted her datapad. Before she could stop herself, Elsha shuddered.

"See? You hate what I am, what Jailyn is. I don't know why, but you do. You can't stand to touch him, or me. It's been months since you've let me touch you in any way remotely intimate. I don't understand it, but I know I can't take it anymore."

She looked down, at the datapad he'd moved. "You don't love me," she said quietly.

"What does that have to do with my being a Jedi?" Kyp wondered. "Elsha . . . Force, Elsha, [i]talk[/i] to me!"

She looked up, her lavender eyes dark. "You want me to talk? Fine, I'll talk! Yes, I hate what you are! I hate that you serve something I can't touch. I hate that I have spent nearly five years loving you, and not wanting to! But mostly, I hate that you don't love me! I don't know if you ever did."

Kyp ran a hand through his hair. "I've [i]tried[/i], El. I care for you, but it's hard to love someone when they despise you!"

"Oh, you've tried, have you? Yes, you tried very hard on Ossus, when you were screwing that little teacher!"

He looked at her in shock, as silence fell. She looked at him , almost amused, and said, "You think I didn't know about that? Shavit, Kyp, you've only called her name every night for the past two years! I'm not stupid. You love someone, but it's not [i]me[/i]."

He sighed. He couldn't deny it. "El-"

"Don't you 'El' me!" Elsha picked up th

2. EBrooklynW

EBrooklynW Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 11, 2003
    MORE! MORE NOW PLEASE!!
    You know, I enjoy getting to read these before you post them. Loved it then. Love it now.

~EBW

3. Dantana Skywalker

Apr 7, 2002
    EBW - Half the plot in this is your fault! :p

Dana

4. EBrooklynW

Apr 11, 2003
    I couldn't help it that Kyppie *sigh* spoke to me and told me about Elsha... and Elsha spoke to me. IT JUST HAPPENED OK!!!????

just kidding.

I know. I'm evil.

~EBW

5. SaberBlade

SaberBlade Jedi Master star 3

Sep 19, 2001
    Wow, I didn't think that this would be continued! May I say how glad I am that is? ooooh, coolness. Life is good.

Hm, don't like his wife much, but I do feel a bit sorry for her. Tell me the kid's going to be all right? And, randomness, has the kid met Jaina yet?

-Saber

6. Dantana Skywalker

Apr 7, 2002
    EBW - I couldn't help it that Kyppie *sigh* spoke to me and told me about Elsha... and Elsha spoke to me. IT JUST HAPPENED OK!!!????

Uh-huh. Riiiiight. ;)

I know. I'm evil.

I keep expecting you to quote Spike and say something like, "What's this, shock and disapointment? I'm EVIL!"

SaberBlade - Wow, I didn't think that this would be continued! May I say how glad I am that is? ooooh, coolness. Life is good.

Oh, you know me . . . never can leave anything alone. *snicker* Always have meant to finish this, I just finally got around to posting this. And it's not done, either . . . I need to work on it more.

Hm, don't like his wife much, but I do feel a bit sorry for her. Tell me the kid's going to be all right? And, randomness, has the kid met Jaina yet?

You're not supposed to like her.

No, Jaina hasn't "officially" met Jailyn yet.

Dana

7. SaberBlade

Sep 19, 2001
    Oh, I don't like her, but I feel sorry for her. I mean, she had Kyp but couldn't manage to keep him. :D And has to deal with the whole mess. But she's a bit... flinchy. Whoever winds up with Kyp, Jaina or otherwise, should be basically un-faze-able. If that's a word.

-Saber

8. LumiKuningatar

LumiKuningatar Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 10, 2003
    Oh, I'm so hooked..

9. Dantana Skywalker

Apr 7, 2002
    SaberBlade - Oh, I don't like her, but I feel sorry for her. I mean, she had Kyp but couldn't manage to keep him. And has to deal with the whole mess. But she's a bit... flinchy. Whoever winds up with Kyp, Jaina or otherwise, should be basically un-faze-able. If that's a word.

Well, you'll see what's going on when I post the new chapter in just a minute . . .

She HAS had a rough time, yes. And Kyp's sorry for that. However, he's not entirely to blame.

LumiKuningatar - Oh, I'm so hooked..

Good. [face_devil] That's the intention. :D

Dana

10. Dantana Skywalker

Apr 7, 2002
    Time for a postie!

[b]--Chapter Two--[/b]

[i]I don't think that I could
    Take another empty moment
    Don't think that I could
    Fake another hollow smile
    Well, it's not enough
    Just to be lonely
    I don't think I could take
    Another talk about it

-- Matchbox Twenty, "Bed Of Lies"[/i]

He checked into a hotel for the night, but couldn't sleep, so he wandered the city.

All night, he wondered if he'd done the right thing, in finally ending things with Elsha. He didn't know how any of this would affect Jailyn, which was his primary concern.

He had council meetings, which he had long ago begun to hate. On no sleep, he changed into his robes and headed for the governmental building the Council met in.

He wondered if he would run ino Elsha, and if he did, what he would say to her.

But he didn't run into Elsha. Just outside the entrance to the Council chambers, he nearly collided with a tall man in a black uniform.

"Kyp Durron!" the man exclaimed. "Didn't think I'd meet you here."

Kyp stared in deep surprise at Colonel Jagged Fel, too shocked to do much other than say, "Colonel Fel."

Jag held out his hand. "It's been quite a while, Kyp. I haven't seen you since . . . when was it, my wedding reception?"

Kyp looked at Jag's hand, then back up at the man it belonged to. "Yes. Since you and Jaina were married."

Something flickered behind Fel's icy green eyes. "Yes."

"How [i]is[/i] Jaina?" Kyp asked, to deliberately taunt him.

Jag looked at Kyp for a moment, then gave him a wistful smile Kyp was sure was fake. "She left me. Couple of years ago. You haven't talked to her?"

"Can't say I have," Kyp said mildly.

Jag looked a little surprised. Obviously off-balance from this unexpected meeting, he wasn't very good at hiding his thoughts. "I hear you're married now," he offered.

Kyp nodded. He wasn't going to say anything to this man about his personal life's state of being. "Four years in a couple of weeks. My wife is an aide to President Omas."

The younger man nodded. "I may have met her. Elsha, is it?"

"Yes."

"And how is Jailyn?"

Instantly, Fel recognised his mistake. He hastily backpedalled. "She, uh, mentioned that she has a son."

Kyp's hand tightened on the handle of his lightsaber. Fel had pretended not to remember Elsha's name, but he could instantly recall the name of their child?

"And she just [i]happened[/i] to mention his name?" Kyp asked, feeling absurdly, perhaps sadistically, pleased.

Jag's eyes went from the lightsaber to Kyp's face. Kyp extended very little effort and read the hasty scramble for a good lie within the colonel's mind.

Then he stopped and drew back, when an image of Elsha, nude, draped in a sheet and laughing, came to him.

The problem was, it wasn't [i]Kyp's[/i] memory.

Kyp had suspected Elsha had been seeing someone else, but it had never in his wildest dreams occured to him that it might be this man, who had already caused so much suffering. Honestly, he'd been suspecting Cal Omas.

How ironic, that this man should be conducting an affair with Kyp's wife, when Kyp himself had spent two years making amends for an affair he had had with Jag's exwife.

Fel took a step back at the expression on the other man's face. He held up his hands. "Look . . . it isn't what you think-"

"You're welcome to her," Kyp said quietly. "Now get out of here before I kill you."

He had never seen the colonel move that fast in his life as the man fled for the turbolift.

As he pulled open the door to the Council chambers, Kyp mused that having a reputation for killing things occasionally came in handy.

[hr]

Heh heh heh!

Dana

11. The_Jedi_Ambyr-Rose

The_Jedi_Ambyr-Rose Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 24, 2003
    Dana, we meet again!

I, as always, the huge fan of all your works, have to remind myself aloud after one of these wonderful bits that I'm not a K/J shipper... [face_laugh] I will always be Z/J, no matter what ends up happening in the books.

I love the way you portray Jag! He just seems so much more little and weak when you put him up against Kyp.

Sounds like Jag and Kyp need to do the old switcheroo with their wives! I actually kind of felt sorry for Jag until you told us about Elsha and the affair they had. Good! I hate feeling sorry for Captain Cardboard, to use your term.

I hope I give alright reviews...

You're wonderful! It's always a pleasure to read your work. Even if it's sad! And whenever I see your name up on the boards, I make a point of stopping myself in the middle of whatever I'm doing to read your latest. And I mean that from the bottom of my heart.

Thanks so much! It's a delight. More soon?

~*Ambyr-Rose*~

12. Dantana Skywalker

Apr 7, 2002
    The_Jedi_Ambyr-Rose - Dana, we meet again!

Why does that make me want to quote "Spaceballs"?

I, as always, the huge fan of all your works, have to remind myself aloud after one of these wonderful bits that I'm not a K/J shipper... I will always be Z/J, no matter what ends up happening in the books.

Mwahahaha! [face_devil] You will be converted one day!

I love the way you portray Jag! He just seems so much more little and weak when you put him up against Kyp.

That is kinda of the point. Hee hee!

Sounds like Jag and Kyp need to do the old switcheroo with their wives! I actually kind of felt sorry for Jag until you told us about Elsha and the affair they had. Good! I hate feeling sorry for Captain Cardboard, to use your term.

I established in "What If" and "Lies" that Jag was a total prig. Why are you feeling sorry for him NOW?

And it looks to me like they've already switched!

I hope I give alright reviews...

Ah, they're fine. :)

You're wonderful! It's always a pleasure to read your work. Even if it's sad! And whenever I see your name up on the boards, I make a point of stopping myself in the middle of whatever I'm doing to read your latest. And I mean that from the bottom of my heart.

Thank you. I really appreciate that, truly. I'm always at a lose for words when someone compliments me. I just never know what to say, other than thank you. And I really mean that.

Thanks so much! It's a delight. More soon?

Fairly soon, I'm hoping. I don't want to post this too quickly, because this is only half-written so far.

Dana

13. Trickster_Jaina_Fel

Trickster_Jaina_Fel Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 3, 2002
    ....And despite my better judgement, I'm reading a new fic. I should never set goals for myself. I always break them :p

Is this the last one in the series? ?[face_plain] If it is, too bad :( It's a good one. But anyway - great start :D Elsha's horrible. Did she start having the affair with Jag before or after Kyp started his with Jaina? Not that it matters much....

Anyway, looking forward to more, even if I drift away for a bit :p I can't keep up with fics lately....but I will be around at the end, for sure! ;)

~TJF

14. SaberBlade

Sep 19, 2001
    And she just happened to mention his name?" Kyp asked, feeling absurdly, perhaps sadistically, pleased.

And

"You're welcome to her," Kyp said quietly. "Now get out of here before I kill you."

And

As he pulled open the door to the Council chambers, Kyp mused that having a reputation for killing things occasionally came in handy.

Top three reasons why Jag never had a chance with Jaina. Also the top three reasons I adore Kyp. Those lines are brilliance themselves for revealing his state of mind and personality. Sigh for rogue Jedi.

-Saber

15. Dantana Skywalker

Apr 7, 2002
    Trickster_Jaina_Fel - ....And despite my better judgement, I'm reading a new fic. I should never set goals for myself. I always break them

Me, too . . .

Is this the last one in the series? If it is, too bad It's a good one. But anyway - great start Elsha's horrible. Did she start having the affair with Jag before or after Kyp started his with Jaina? Not that it matters much....

Well, I'm TRYING to make it be the last, but it might not end up that way . . . it wasn't even supposed to be a series!!

Anyway, looking forward to more, even if I drift away for a bit I can't keep up with fics lately....but I will be around at the end, for sure!

Ah, well, you can always find it in the K/J index. :)

SaberBlade - And she just happened to mention his name?" Kyp asked, feeling absurdly, perhaps sadistically, pleased.

And

And

Top three reasons why Jag never had a chance with Jaina. Also the top three reasons I adore Kyp. Those lines are brilliance themselves for revealing his state of mind and personality. Sigh for rogue Jedi.

:D Poor guy. He's split up with Jaina, and Elsha . . . and his worst enemy is shagging his spouse . . . and said spouse wants to keep his child . . . Poor Kyppie . . .

Dana

16. Abby

Abby Jedi Master star 4

Jan 7, 2004
    Well, even though I like Jag, you've written him so un-like-able in this unintentional series (which I just read in the last 20 minutes) that at the moment I'm thinking of him in terms of "scum" - you must be good!

So keep going with this, I'm hooked!

~Abby~

17. Dantana Skywalker

Apr 7, 2002
    Abby Well, even though I like Jag, you've written him so un-like-able in this unintentional series (which I just read in the last 20 minutes) that at the moment I'm thinking of him in terms of "scum" - you must be good!

Heh. To make someone who likes Jag hate him, even momentarily, is my life's goal. *snicker*

So keep going with this, I'm hooked!

I'm glad you're enjoying it!

Dana

18. Elfsheen

Elfsheen Jedi Knight star 5

Feb 9, 2003
    [face_laugh] :D I just knew there had to be a twist like that. It takes two ;)

Very good! I enjoyed reading this! I hope there's more soon!

19. LumiKuningatar

LumiKuningatar Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 10, 2003
    Oh, I just knew she had to be having an affair with somebody, but not in my wildest dreams would I have said Jag.... he's so ... dull... and really mean in this fic.... doesn't the girl have any standards...

20. Babi_Tahiri

Babi_Tahiri Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 29, 2003
    As always, Dana, I love it! You, Jilly and Beth have a talent for drawing me into stories and leaving me wanting more every time. :) Can't wait for more!

~^~ Tahiri ~^~

21. Dantana Skywalker

Apr 7, 2002
    Elfsheen - I just knew there had to be a twist like that. It takes two

It certainly does. [face_devil]

Very good! I enjoyed reading this! I hope there's more soon!

Thank you. There is, indeed.

LumiKuningatar - Oh, I just knew she had to be having an affair with somebody, but not in my wildest dreams would I have said Jag.... he's so ... dull... and really mean in this fic.... doesn't the girl have any standards...

Um . . . nope! No, she does not. And you've got to admit, those two finding each other? Interesting, isn't it? Makes you think . . .

Babi_Tahiri - As always, Dana, I love it! You, Jilly and Beth have a talent for drawing me into stories and leaving me wanting more every time. Can't wait for more!

Thanks. :) More's coming up in a just a minute.

Dana

22. Dantana Skywalker

Apr 7, 2002
    This has taken a different turn than I'd imagined . . .

[b]--Chapter Three--[/b]

[i]Just like me you've got needs
    And they're only a whisper away
    And we softly surrender to these
    Lives that we've tendered away

--Matchbox Twenty, "Lies"[/i]

Four days later, when Kyp came to pick up Jailyn after a terse call from Elsha, he walked in and found Jailyn's things packed in a large crate sitting by the door. His son had more stuff than he himself did. He put it on the repulsorpad he'd brought along, to take it to the ship, so Elsha wouldn't have to see him using the Force to do it. He might not have loved her, but he still respected her.

Elsha walked out of their son's room, Jailyn trailing behind her. He knew something was wrong, but didn't know what. He looked fearfully from the dark expression on his mommy's face to the resigned one on his daddy's.

Elsha stooped and hugged Jailyn briefly. "Be good, okay?"

She kissed his cheeks, then stood. She approached Kyp until she stood toe to toe with him.

"I will curse you, Durron, until the day I die," she said softly. "For giving me a son that's tainted by your abominable Force. If I ever find that you've twisted him, I'll kill you."

With that, she walked back into her room and locked the door.

Kyp knelt next to Jailyn. "Hi."

Jailyn's solemn face turned from his mother's closed door to his father's face. "Mommy's mad."

"I know, Jai. I know. She's mad at Daddy right now." He picked up his son. "We're going on a little trip, okay? You know how you like to make your toys play? Well, we're going somewhere where you can do that all the time. Won't that be fun?"

"Mommy coming?"

Kyp hugged his son. He didn't know if it was possible for the three-year-old to understand what was happening. Fortunately, he was small enough that hopefully, he wouldn't long remember the bad parts. "No, Jailyn, Mommy's staying here. Look, kiddo . . . Sometimes, Mommies and Daddies get so mad at each other that . . . they can't stay together anymore. Mommy and Daddy . . . Well, we have to be apart for a while, okay?"

It hurt. He'd completely failed as a husband. It wasn't entirely unexpected. After all, he [i]was[/i] Kyp Durron, who'd destroyed an entire solar system . . . including his own brother.

He would do his best to see that Jailyn grew up to be everything Kyp had never been.

"We gonna see Mommy again?" Jailyn was fearful, his hands tight on the fabric of Kyp's robes.

Kyp forced himself to smile. "Sure. We'll see Mommy lots. C'mon, let's get this to the ship."

"Ship?" Jailyn perked up.

"Yeah, we're going in a ship. You don't remember, but you've been in ships a lot of times."

Kyp wondered idly, as they left, how many times he'd be shuttled back and forth in ships once they got custody settled.

----------

He'd resigned from the council, and was headed to the academy.

The academy, whether on Yavin or on Ossus, had somehow always felt like home. And now, since there wasn't anywhere else for him to go, it was home more than ever.

Besides, [i]she[/i] was there.

Kyp hadn't seen her for two years, since the night she'd kicked him out after a nasty argument about Elsha, and how he wouldn't leave his wife.

He wondered if she would take him back, or if he'd stuffed it up completely. His only option was to go, and see.

Jailyn was asleep when Kyp landed in the docking bay of the Ossus academy. He was met by Luke Skywalker, who smiled kindly at him.

"Welcome back, Kyp." The Jedi Master's smile deepened when he saw the small, limp body Kyp held to his shoulder. "This is Jailyn?"

Kyp nodded.

"I remember when Ben was his age." Luke grinned. "Is he as much of a terror?"

"Worse," Kyp said wryly. "Speaking of Ben, how is he?"

"Good. He's taken to terrorising the girls."

"And Mara?"

Luke smiled, as he always did at thoughts of his wife. "Same as ever. But she mentioned last night that she'll be happy to see you again. Don't ask me why."

They felt into step.

"I've arranged quarters for you on the third floor,

23. EBrooklynW

Apr 11, 2003
    I love this story. and I think this is as far as you've shown me.
    I can't wait to see dinner :D

Please post more.

KYP IS HOTT!!!

spaztic moment. done now.

~EBW

*tosses chocolate covered kyps in the air*

24. SaberBlade

Sep 19, 2001
    It hurt. He'd completely failed as a husband. It wasn't entirely unexpected. After all, he was Kyp Durron, who'd destroyed an entire solar system . . . including his own brother.

:_| So sad, poor Kyp.

Aw, Jaina's going to be teaching Jailyn! Cool cool cool, can't wait to see that. Looking forward to seeing that almost as much as I'm looking forward to seeing the Jaina/Cassia/Kyp interaction in your "Tide" story.

Also, hm, could be random, but did Kyp name Jailyn or did Elsha? And does the fact that JAIna and JAIlyn have the first syllable strike anyone else as, um, wishful thinking on the daddy's part? :D Just my two cents. Loving this, Dana, you always seem to hook me into your fics really easily. A WONDERFUL way to take a break from studying and essaying.

-Saber

25. Dantana Skywalker

Apr 7, 2002
    EBrooklynW - I love this story. and I think this is as far as you've shown me. I can't wait to see dinner

Didn't write that, sorry.

Please post more.

Not until tomorrow. One chapter a day.

KYP IS HOTT!!!

Totally. :D

*tosses chocolate covered kyps in the air*

Yay!

. . . if only it really would rain chocolate-covered men . . .

SaberBlade - So sad, poor Kyp.

Hey, he may be a scumbag in this series, but he's OUR scumbag. *snicker*

You really do have to feel bad for him. Life sucks for him.

Aw, Jaina's going to be teaching Jailyn! Cool cool cool, can't wait to see that. Looking forward to seeing that almost as much as I'm looking forward to seeing the Jaina/Cassia/Kyp interaction in your "Tide" story.

. . . which I WILL be writing more on soon, I swear!

Also, hm, could be random, but did Kyp name Jailyn or did Elsha? And does the fact that JAIna and JAIlyn have the first syllable strike anyone else as, um, wishful thinking on the daddy's part? Just my two cents. Loving this, Dana, you always seem to hook me into your fics really easily. A WONDERFUL way to take a break from studying and essaying.

People speculated on that with "Lies" and with "Hold On". And my answer remains the same: I have no idea.

I know they're similar, but Jailyn is pronounced "J'eye'lin". The AI is like EYE, not A.

Dana

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.