main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

San Fran, CA FIDM Exhibit - Dressing A Galaxy

Discussion in 'Pacific Regional Discussion' started by kay_dee, Aug 1, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JedHead1

JedHead1 Jedi Master star 5

Feb 20, 1999
    If there are 100+ costumes to check out and photograph, who knows how long we'll be there! I'd like to get there early as possible, then do the King Tut thing as late as possible (allowing enough time to see everything there without being rushed, or course). I'll bring my Anakin AOTC costume for this, but I'll need to borrow eyeliner for Tut. ;)

2. Adyn

Adyn Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 25, 2002
    Just wondering if anything is likey to come of transportation as a group? I'm planning on attending, but I have to be back by Monday morning & it sounds like the group is staying Monday as well?

I can leave Friday afternoon, but staying Monday is out... I may look into a flight down there if no one else is up for that schedule... but I'd rather carpool and make the trip part of the fun as well! I have a 4 door smaller car that can ride 4 w/o tons of luggage... or I'd be happy to pitch in on a rental.

I also have friends there & a place to stay on Friday night if the group is staying sat & sun nite at the hotel.

Unfortunately there will be no costume wearing for me hahaha, I don't FIT in anything right now [face_blush]

And that's awesome, it sounds like they DO allow cameras??? Schweet!! [face_dancing]

I'm really looking forward to this! It'll probably be my last out of town trip for a while LOL, so I'm all for making it memorable!!

3. kay_dee

kay_dee Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 15, 2002
    Eyeliner for Tut - LOL!

Well, if people want to be there early on Saturday and the hotel is booked for just Sat and Sun night I'd imagine you've gotta fly down Sat AM. The drive is easily 6 hours. I have not decided yet if I want to drive down the weekend before hand and view the exhibit with friends Monday/Tuesday then come back to the bay area and go as a group with the rest of you. Or drive down Thurs to visit friends in LA and then meet up with the SF group.

Are people able to go down Friday night instead? Is it possible to update our room reservations to include Friday night?

I have to think about wearing a costume. If I'm there to observe I need to be comfortable - but it would be a giggle to take a photo of me wearing a costume next to a costume that I've made. I want to keep my eye on what some people at the LOTR Gather are organizing. It would be pretty lame if a group of LOTR people actually showed up in last minute costumes and the SW fans didn't (not that I'm competing - it would just be ironic).

- Kay Dee

4. Lady_Sami_J_Kenobi

Lady_Sami_J_Kenobi Jedi Master star 6

Jul 31, 2002
    I would love to go to this, but funds are extremely low right now. I saw the King Tut exhibit when it was here in SF. It was fabulous! If any of you have not seen it, it will literally blow you away. The pictures do not do that gold mask justice!!!

I might be able to carpool down with someone, it just depends on funding. I'm also unemployed, altho I do have a job this week.

5. Harlock415

Harlock415 Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 21, 2003
    I'm pretty much tapped out of favors, vacation time, and days off. The only reason I will get Saturday off is because I'm using my birthday paid holiday. I can proabably extend the reservations to include Friday, however the employee discount is contingent on the presentation of my ID. I will have to check with the hotel on wether they will allow anybody else to check in a day before me and give the discount rate that night or just adjust it when I get there.

6. kay_dee

Jun 15, 2002
    No problem, just checking on options if people wanted to get to FIDM early on Saturday.

- Kay Dee

7. Tatooinepadme

Tatooinepadme Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 27, 2005
    The plan Robert and I have is to drive down Sat morning (leaving around 8am) and go to the FIDM Sat afternoon. I probably won't have the funds for Disneyland so we could always do Tut on Sun. If anyone wants to drive with us, let us know. (I'll probably be doing the first part of the driving so Robert can sleep after a hard night's work. lol)

8. kay_dee

Jun 15, 2002
    OK - so if you leave around 8 am and drive directly to FIDM you may get there at 3:00. I can't seem to find the hours of operation on the web site - I think they close at 7:00 on Saturday judging from the ticket times.

Is there another group who may get there earlier? Or should we all get tickets for about 3:30 or 4:00 on Saturday? Maybe Sunday will be a better day to go?

- Kay Dee

9. Harlock415

Aug 21, 2003
    Sunday is a possibility. The only other thing I can do is extend the hotel res to include Monday night. How do people feel about that? But we would have to leave Tuesday MORNING since I work that night.

And I'm not sure I can afford Disneyland anyway. But for those interested there are the ticket prices.

If we leave at 8 AM from SF we will probably get there by 1 or 2 PM since it's a Saturday, we probably don't have to deal with commuter traffic.

10. JedHead1

Feb 20, 1999
    Let's make the Disneylad trip a "maybe". Right now we need to find one block of time where we could go to FIDM, with enough time to see everything. That may make the Tut trip on Sunday. The blocks for FIDM are for 12, correct? That's the maximum people between the two hotel rooms as well, right? The list that I know are sure are going are:

1. JedHead1
    2. Anasian Skywalker
    3. Kay Dee
    4. Harlock 415
    5. Star Smuggler
    6. Skye Solo
    7. Adyn
    8. Tatooine Padme

"Not sure":

1. Sia Lan Wezz (+1)
    2. Lady Sami J Kenobi

That leaves one slot left. Any takers? Let's first decide quickly on what time slot we'd like to get, before other groups take it. Then we can discuss the drive/plane options.

11. Harlock415

Aug 21, 2003
    With gas prices the way they are, they have drivin the airfares up as well. Cost for SFO to LAX is now about $170. Oak TO LAX is about $145. And even booking through Southwest, it still come at well over $100 per person. Driving and gas may cost a bit but at least that can be divided up easily.

And to complicate things even further, if Disneyland is a maybe, I migt be able to ge something closer to LA itself although the rooms won't be as nice as the suites.

12. JedHead1

Feb 20, 1999
    Here's a link to details about the BOOK the exhibit is based on, including a link to pre-ordering the deluxe, limited-edition version of the book at a lower price!

http://www.padawansguide.com/book.shtml

13. kay_dee

Jun 15, 2002
    Incorrect. It was 12+. The site was updated and the blocks are for 75 people at a time. I really hope we don't get rushed in and out with that many people there. 75 people coming in every 15 minutes? The exhibit hall is small:(

I guess right now I'm concerned about 7 girls sharing one room. Not that I don't mind sleeping on the floor, but bathroom coordination gets tight for getting ready in the morning. If we can get rooms for only 45 a night, maybe the girls won't mind sharing two rooms? If some are on a tighter budget I'd even consider paying 45 a night for my own room just so I can get some sleep and not be waking up at like 5 or 6 am to get into the bathroom.

Also, if that many people are being packed into one room it seems like we'd need a suite like those in Anaheim. But if a closer location is possible it would be nice to spend less time in traffic ;)

- Kay Dee

14. Harlock415

Aug 21, 2003
    Looking at the the list...we're outnumbered again.

15. AnasianSkywalker

AnasianSkywalker Jedi Knight star 3

Sep 2, 2003
    As Robert is the one that booked the rooms he could probably elaborate more of the details. But what I do know is that he booked 2 Family Suites that can accomodate 6 People each. Since we are all friends, and all adults anyway, and if the numbers are not completely even for both rooms - how about making the ratio even, semi-coed? Everyone just needs a bed to crash in...That's it. All Innocent. [face_plain]

http://marriott.com/property/propertypage.mi?marshaCode=SNAAS

16. Harlock415

Aug 21, 2003
    THe suites include a living room with a fold out sofa.

17. Tatooinepadme

Tatooinepadme Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 27, 2005
    I personally have no problem sharing a room with the guys (I did at C3) if that would help even things out.

18. kay_dee

Jun 15, 2002
    I'm fine with the fold out couch set-up as well. I just thought packing in possibly 8 gals in one room would cause a major bathroom problem for getting ready in the morning. At Comic-Con I was getting up around 5 am so I could be out in time for others to use it and there were just 4 of us. At least the sink and mirror was outside of the area with the shower so we could rotate in and out easier.

I think I'll call them tomorrow and find out if the sink is outside of the shower area. At least that way when someone is in the shower others can brush teeth, do hair, and stuff like that.

- Kay Dee

19. Harlock415

Aug 21, 2003
    You have to remember traveling with Matt and Dale -- they can take forever to get ready.

20. JedHead1

Feb 20, 1999
    Yeah, I guess shampooing, conditioning, blow-drying, putting on gel and styling does takes a lot of time, Robert. But then again, it's been a while since you've done that. ;)

21. Adyn

Jun 25, 2002
    I'm fine with coed rooming... long as I'm not on the floor :D . Usually, sure... lately, with my kid on board... I need good support at night LOL.

I'd love to drive down, if anyone is interested in leaving Friday night and coming back Sunday evening... if it's just me I'll probably fly. I'm sure my friends would be fine with having an extra guest if someone wants to carpool & needs a place to stay on Friday night.

I just have to be back before hubby leaves for work on Monday morning, lest my great dane puppy protest my absence and being left alone by munching furniture! I'll keep an eye out for an alternative... but at this point, I need to be back Sunday (though late Sun is fine)

22. kay_dee

Jun 15, 2002
    Hey Guys,

I just checked the opening weekend for FIDM and was shocked to see that tickets are totally sold out now for the entire opening week!!! I'm mad at myself actually, I was so close to getting tickets a few nights ago to be on the safe side.

I'm trying to call the ticket office to see if the news is any different than what the web site shows.

- Kay Dee

*edit* I called the ticket office and asked the phone rep how every block of 75 tickets every 15 minutes could have sold out literally in one day - and if there was another way to secure tickets. She gave me the FIDM answering machine number :( I left my info stating I was looking to secure tickets for the San Francisco fan force... I seriously doubt anyone will get back to me.

Any other ideas?

- Kay Dee

23. Adyn

Jun 25, 2002
    Well, shoot! I just found a great solution for my dog sitting problem LOL which would mean I can do the return Monday, too.

Hmm. Anyone have any connections? LOL

How about the following weekend??

24. kay_dee

Jun 15, 2002
    Matt, perhaps as our chapter rep you can e-mail FIDM with a query? I was about to, but I thought someone with a title so to speak might sound more legit. Give them a link to our fan boards or something, and explain we'd been keeping an eye on the tickets and suddenly today every block of tickets was bought up for the entire first week (seems odd to me and makes me wonder about scalpers, or perhaps something special is going on and those tickets were yanked from the system?)

I don't know if you know Shawn Crosby - he's working as a contact for the San Diego group. http://www.shawnandcolleen.com/shawn/Pages/hwing/ You may try to e-mail him as well. Alas, I dont think I'm known to anyone so I doubt I'd get any sort of response. You may also follow up with Linda to see if she has an alternate e-mail address for him as opposed to the one provided on his web site (I sent an e-mail to that address last week but didn't hear back from him.)

I know it's the same exhibit the following weeks. I just thought it would be fun to be part of any opening week excitement and meet up with other chapters of the Fan Force -etc.

- Kathy

25. Harlock415

Aug 21, 2003
    I had a feeling something like this would happen as soon as somebody also posted about this in the general 501st Legion Yahoo groups.

Update

Motherf-- the whole week is taken up? Looks like Monday is the day available.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.