main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

San Fran, CA FIDM Exhibit - Dressing A Galaxy

Discussion in 'Pacific Regional Discussion' started by kay_dee, Aug 1, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kay_dee

kay_dee Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 15, 2002
    I also was not a huge fan of California Adventure. The rides are really more for the little kids, and the park is not very large (I know I can't be the only one who was sad to see the old parking lot of Disneyland get converted into California Adventure.) Disneyland gives you much more bang for the buck and it's easy to spend an entire day there.

Just my opinion :)

- Kay Dee

2. skye_solo

skye_solo Jedi Youngling star 3

Oct 6, 2004
    Yeah, I agree, I see California everyday,lol.
    Actually, I've never been to Cali adventure, but I don't care. I just love Disneyland.

::listening to Takk right now, and loving every second of it::

Takk Sigur Rós [:D]

3. Miana Kenobi

Miana Kenobi Admin Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 5, 2000
    Cali Adventure has 2 good rides: Soaring over California, and Tower of Terror. That's it, really. :p

4. Bith_Lord

Bith_Lord Jedi Padawan star 4

May 5, 2005
    Make that 3... California Screamin' is a fun .... when it isnt injuring people of course ;)

5. Harlock415

Harlock415 Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 21, 2003
    I haven't been to Disneyland in I over 20 years so everything is going to be new for me.

6. mrcottonsparrot

mrcottonsparrot Jedi Youngling star 2

Jul 26, 2004
    Well, I wanna tell ya, the ALCOHOL opportunities are for BIG KIDS!!!! There is NOTHING like the joy of galloping over to DCA for some VERY fine wine selections, or some excellent cocktails/beer at Ariel's Grotto.

Yes, I'm sure that the space made more money as a parking lot, but for the dining quality and drinking (!) selections, DCA wins hands-down.

You guys just aren't doing it right.

MrCottonsParrot

7. mrcottonsparrot

Jul 26, 2004
    I got to meet, converse and have cocktails with, and have my photograph taken with George Lucas. Let me first say that.

Having achieved this Geek Nirvana while yet maintaining a professional attitude, was a high point in my career...

BUY THE BOOK. Duh. What makes it worth the $50 ALONE is the back pages, which are PACKED with thumbnail photos of EVERY COSTUME EVER SHOT in a SW film (note, I did not say every CHARACTER, for instance not every Imperial officer is personally represented, just the costume references). It is TOTAL EYE CANDY.

The Gala opening was spectacular, with great food and the opportunity to be literally one of the first to see the exhibit (before parts of it get carted to NY Fashion Week prior to the grand opening next week...).

It was a great hit, as is the book, but it is not without definite misfires.

Most disappointingly, the following costumes are NOT at the exhibit: The "Lake Retreat Arrival Dress" (gondola dress), and the "Homestead Garage" (I swear they're calling it that...) dress, the dark blue Erte-esque one. I was REALLY disappointed about the first one, it was really the only costume I wanted to see in the first place.

Also, I have to say I am really non-plussed about the basically "lip-service only" treatment of episodes 4-5-6 (in both the exhibit AND the book). Grand total: 7 (SEVEN) costumes (Luke & Leia Hoth, Luke Jedi, Obi-Wan, Leia Slave Girl, Han Solo Empire and one other one that actually escapes me...). I mean, yeah, OK, I admit we saw many more in the Magic/Myth exhibit, but please. Hyping this exhibit as "costumes from all six movies!" and then shoving the ONE old-school-movies paltry tableau literally by the entry door (first thing you see after droids), is whack.

Also, the lighting is a problem in many places, particularly if you're going for photos from the dark side (PUN INTENDED). There's a really nice Imperial mannequin, but is shoved in the back row with a black background under crappy lighting -- bring a sloooow lens and a steady hand!

In the plus column, however:

Touchy-feely wall (our unofficial name): Before you enter the massive Padme costume hall, there are samples of fabrics, burnout patterns and embroideries on the wall, which you are invited to "touch with care." And we did!

DAG catalogs open for perusal by patrons in nearly every room, and most rooms having two stations.

The funeral costume and bier, in full regalia. THIS KICKED BUTT. However, once again, it was displayed in such a strange way that you have a "great view of the feet" and partially-obscured hem, you cannot walk all the way around it, so you have no close view of the bodice or anything at the top.

SECRET: Make sure you have to go to the restroom. Otherwise you will totally miss three costumes and one of the chairs from the Ep-2 dining scene.

All in all, my score, A-, given the several shortcomings, both of offerings and gallery design/lighting.

(But I got my picture taken personally with George Lucas, so who the h*** am I to complain?!)

MrCottonsParrot

8. kay_dee

Jun 15, 2002
    Thanks for the run down :) I also was disappointed by the lack of some Original Trilogy costumes we know are out there. They were on display at MOM, but I wasn't into costuming back then and was hoping I'd get to see those costumes this time around. I was really hoping to see the classic Leia ANH gown.

I was also disappointed to see the way the Padme's casket was layed out! I would have thought it could have been easy to arrange it length wise (head and feet running along the plexi barrier as you walk) rather than front to back. There goes my hopes of getting a good look at that costume (my favorite from Ep III and one I was considering making).

All in all it's hard to complain because we will be able to see so many costumes - but you'd think some things could have been arranged and lighted a little better.

I'll see how my new anti-shake camera does - still no substitute for a pro slr type camera with a tripod and flash. But we are lucky they are allowing any form of photography at all (it's not allowed at the annual motion picture exhibit).

As for the book focussing on Trisha's work, somehow I'm not surprised. I had heard a rumor several years ago that she was going to put together a book for the Prequel costumes - it seems like that idea got expanded to include the OT but the focus is still on her work in the Prequels.

- Kay Dee

9. kay_dee

Jun 15, 2002
    LOL - I wasn't upset to see the parking lot go for financial reasons. It's the sentimentality in me ;) The time I did go to Ca Adventure we took my friend's kids, so drinking didn't really factor in. I still prefer the atmosphere of Disneyland and the rides there. Despite my slight disappointment in CA Adventure I still had a great time there. I suppose if people have passes to do both for the price of one it's worth the jaunt.

- Kay Dee

10. Adyn

Adyn Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 25, 2002
    Well, I looked at getting extra tickets due to the restroom issue... but it looks like there are quite a few still available for both our timeslots. So I think I am going to just wait and if need be, get an extra one if I have to go out.

Either that or maybe I can get them to take pity on the pregnant lady hahaha.

As far as my hopping on the "transport" ;) Who should I talk to about my location Sat. morning?

If you can head out 280 to 85 to 101 to 5, I have an easy pickup spot right off of 85, (the Union exit, just after hwy 17). I can give exact directions to whoever needs them. Also, a time range you'd expect to be by so I make sure no one has to wait on me! LOL

Maybe shoot me an email at lilcreekster@yahoo.com so I can send directions...

Can't wait!!! [face_dancing]

11. JedHead1

JedHead1 Jedi Master star 5

Feb 20, 1999
    I think I'll bring my Luke ROTJ costume to wear when it opens, since it's easier to get in and out of than my Anakin. Besides, I hear the Luke is actually on display there. Then I'll change in the afternoon to street clothes.

12. skye_solo

Oct 6, 2004
    MrCotton, one ? if I may? Is Georgie-boy a lush? [face_mischief]

13. mrcottonsparrot

Jul 26, 2004
    By no means, Skye -- in fact, having seen him at functions before, I was a little startled -- but then again just because you go to the bar doesn't mean there's LIQUOR in that mixer you're having (I myself pretty much am always the designated driver, so I suffer...)

MrCottonsParrot

14. JediRacer

JediRacer Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 5, 2000
    SFFF,
    If you're interested in taking advantage of my Disneyland discount ticket offer, I need your order by 8:00am tomorrow (Friday) morning as I'll have to buy the tickets tomorrow. As JedHead1 stated earlier, it's $46 for Disneyland or California Adventure tickets and $56 for the One-Day Park Hopper. I can plan to get the tickets to you before you go to the King Tut exhibit on Saturday, it'll be easier for me to meet you in LA somewhere rather than in Anaheim.
    Let me know as soon as possible! I'm looking forward to seeing you guys in LA!!

Matt
    -JediRacer - You should call me JediRacer or JR so as not to confuse everyone.

EDIT - Oh, and if someone from your group can coordinate the money, that would be great also. I can accept checks, make them out to Matthew Masuda. Cash is ok too, but I will more than likely not have change.

15. kay_dee

Jun 15, 2002
    Matt? I'm assuming you are in charge of this one?

I guess we need a head count on people wanting to go to Disneyland, as well as if people really only want to do Disneyland or pay an extra 10 dollars for the hopper.

1) Kathy - I'm fine with just a ticket for Disneyland, but if everyone else wants the hopper I Can pay the extra 10 dollars for it.

Thanks so much for offering to do thisJediRaccer! Would you be able to meet us outside of the Museum of Modern Art (you and Jedhead exchange cell phone numbers?) Or is that too far from your home?

-Kay Dee

16. JedHead1

Feb 20, 1999
    OK, Dale and myself are in for Disneyland only. But if anyone wants to pay the extra $10 for the hopper ticket, then that's fine too. Everyone else interested, please post her as to what kind of tickets you want. We'll collect the money when we get to LA and give it to Matt before or after the Tut exhibit (preferably before).

17. kay_dee

Jun 15, 2002
    Cool, just put me down for Disneyland too (that will be more than enough fun for me).

Here is an update on my travel plans:

I will leave Friday and visit some friends Friday night. At the moment my friends have plans on Saturday, so I plan to kill time by looking through fabric stores in LA. Please give me a call on my cell phone when you guys get into the LA area (like, after you pass the offramp for the 118 that leads to the Valley). That way I can get back to my car and drive to meet you at the Hotel if that is the plan. If you guys need to go directly to Tut I can do that too.

Right now I don't plan to bring a costume. If the Purple Senate dress was postioned up front or the Leia ANH costume was there it would have been fun to take a photo next to the real thing.

- Kay Dee

18. Harlock415

Harlock415 Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 21, 2003
    I'm on for Disneyland

19. skye_solo

Oct 6, 2004
    I asked for a hopper ticket. That means you get to go to both, right? I don't mind going over there alone if nobody else goes. I want to mostly spend time in Disneyland. I just want to try the roller coasters people were mentioning. And I got a cell phone the other day, so you guys don't have to wonder about where exactly I am.

20. StarSmuggler

StarSmuggler Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 26, 2004
    I just want a Disneyland ticket, I don't want to go to CA land.

21. Tatooinepadme

Tatooinepadme Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 27, 2005
    Matt, sorry this is so late but I was at work when you called so I didn't get a chance to talk. Hope you get this in time. I am definatly in for Disneyland. I figure that will be enough fun for one day. We should work out a system for the fast passes for the major rides (which would have been nice in Indy). See you guys Sat morning.

22. JedHead1

Feb 20, 1999
    OK, I just spoke with Jedi Racer, and ordered 7 D-land tix ($46 each) and 1 "hopper" ticket ($56 each). Be sure to have a check ready, made out to Matthew Masuda, or exact change. We'll meet him in LA for before the Tut exhibit on Saturday.

23. JediRacer

JediRacer Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 5, 2000
    I just picked up your tickets. 7 Disneyland and 1 One-Day Park Hopper. JedHead1 will call me when you're in LA and we'll arrange to meet so I can give you guys the tickets. I'm looking forward to meeting you all and have a safe trip to LA!!

24. Adyn

Adyn Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 25, 2002
    ok... I will probably call Robert on this to make sure someone knows hahaha... but as it turns out, I won't be needing a ride down on Saturday. Some of my friends from LA had to come up to visit a sick friend and will be driving back to LA Saturday afternoon. Sooo, that way you guys don't have to make an extra stop for me on the way. (and I don't have to get up at the crack of dawn [face_laugh]

I think I am just going to take it easy Saturday and crash with my friends that night and meet up you all Sunday morning at the hotel. (Since I'm not going to the tut exhibit)

I am all for the Dinseyland thing, and it'll be better if I'm rested up for that and the big day on Monday ;) I will still pitch in for the van, since I will need a ride back and also to cruise around with you guys down there! And however the hotel works out is fine by me, I'll just need a spot to sleep on Sunday night, Saturday someone can have the extra room hahaha. I'll bring enough cash to pay whoever I owe money too LOL.

I need to get info on where ya'll will be staying (maybe it's in this thread somewhere haha) and there's always cell phones... I'll be sure and take mine, I know a few of you have the number.

I think that's it... can't WAIT to get down there! Will see everyone Sunday morning!!!

25. Miana Kenobi

Miana Kenobi Admin Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 5, 2000
    It sounds like you guys are already down here, so at any rate, I'll see you guys on Monday! :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.