San Fran, CA FIDM Exhibit - Dressing A Galaxy

Discussion in 'Pacific Regional Discussion' started by kay_dee, Aug 1, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Miana Kenobi Admin Emeritus

star 8
    Well, it was nice meeting you guys! Hope you enjoy the rest of your time down here. :)
  2. JediRacer Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    It was nice to meet all those who went to LA! It's cool to put faces to the screennames. I hope you all enjoyed your time down here. I'm sorry I didn't get to say "goodbye" to JedHead1 and AnasianSkywalker.. you guys disappeared from the giftshop! I had to get back to work. Let us know next time your in LA, maybe our two FF's can do something together.
  3. kay_dee Force Ghost

star 4
    I hope everyone made it home safe and sound last night/this morning ;) (I got home at about 1:15 am).

Thanks again to Robert for arranging the Hotel and to Matt(JedHead1) for coordinating the trip. Big thanks to JediRacer as well for scoring us the Disney tickets. I had a great time with all of you in LA!

- Kay Dee
  4. Adyn Jedi Knight

star 1
    I had a great time with everyone!! What a fun trip :D BIG thanks to my chauffeur, Kathy hehe. I rolled in my driveway about 2 am. Happily I got to sleep in today!

I need to DL my pics, how'd everyone elses from the gallery turn out?? Anyone get inspired to start a new costume?
  5. kay_dee Force Ghost

star 4
    Adyn thanks for keeping me awake and making the drive seem much shorter than it was! Glad you got home safely.

Your suggestion on how to steady the camera gave me some fantastic results. I spent all day going throug my FIDM pics and am only 1/3 of the way done. I took 616 photos at FIDM (and no Matt, they were not all of Han Solo's behind ;) )I Haven't even looked at our disney pics yet.

Adyn, if you are still interested in the Green velvet gown I have good news! My swatch book included the diamond brocade lining, the velvet (major score!) and a silk that was probably used to line the gown. I'm just missing the sash fabric swatch and a black swatch that must be used in a hidden area of the costume.

If anyone is into Ep III Obi-Wan I have all his swatches, I have 3 out of 4 Padme Burgundy gown swatches (ep III) All of Bail Organa's green costume swatches, two of the Padme Peacock swatches, and all of Anakin's Ep III ROTS swatches. (There are others but those are the biggies)

Right now I'm inspired to either do the Tatooine blue midriff or the green gown since I have the swatches. I have to do my picnic redo first though. I know I can vastly improve on this one.

- Kay Dee
  6. JedHead1 Force Ghost

star 5
    I had a great weekend and birthday, and it was made even better by being with all you guys! I'm upset my battery died, but I got about 189 pics. Thanks Robert for the hotel, and Matt for the Disney tix. I'm glad I went in costume, getting interviewed a couple of times. Kathy, I'm sending the pic I took of you to Maggie! ;) The exhibit is awesome guys, and I highly recommend it. The only downside was when I rounded a corner, and saw Padme's casket. It reminded me of how the experience would've been all the more sweeter if Chanel was there. She would've LOVED it! I'll bring souvenirs for all to the meeting. Kathy, if you don't mind, I'd like to see your book, especially the Anakin and Obi swatches. I'd like to not only get to touch them, but to get a Pantone comparison, as well as take some high-res pics of the material.
  7. kay_dee Force Ghost

star 4
    Cool, I think she'll think it's funny (the lengths we go to in order to study these costumes)

I'm not 100% sure yet if I can come to the meeting. I have to see how my other half feels about it and also see how much progress I can make on the Han Solo costume. If not this meeting then the next. I'm happy to let you check out the swatches. Getting photos of the material might be difficult (play with macro mode). Scanning is a sure fire way to get them in focus and at high res. I can do that for you too.

- Kay Dee
  8. Miana Kenobi Admin Emeritus

star 8
    Glad to hear you guys got home safe. :) How was D-land?
  9. kay_dee Force Ghost

star 4
    I don't know if any of you caught this post made by Mara_Jade_Fan in the costume and props thread:

FIDM is going to have a "Fan Day" on October 9th and I plan to go up and work that event that day. They will have to let all "working costumed fans" up on the second floor that day because that is where the changing/dressing rooms and restrooms are. Plus we get 10% off all purchases in the store that day. Everyone at FIDM was extremely kind and went out of their way for us the weekend I was up there. My only guess is that the security guards were a little stressed out due to it being opening day today. If you want to "work" as a costumed fan that day, please send me a PM as there are still some slots available (they are taking 40 people working 2 hours shifts each from 10am - 6pm). Your shift would be two hours and of course you'd get into the exhibit free. Let me know what costume you will plan to wear and what 2 hour time slot you would prefer. I am told there are other fan days in the works as well.

Luckily that's the weekend Maggie (padawan's guide) and I were visiting FIDM with our little group. The costume standards seem to be more relaxed as this is a 'fan' event day (canon and non-canon are OK). We will be working the morning shift in costume.

- Kay Dee
  10. JedHead1 Force Ghost

star 5
    Kathy, I'll take you up on your offer of scanning the swatches. If you could include the Pantone equivalents, that'd be great! :)
  11. Master--Kenobi Jedi Master

star 4
    Kay-Dee. Sounds like we got the same swatches. As for the Han Solo outfits. I have the accurate Vest and Jacket (both in sewing an material) (Was told that years ago by the costumer who "accosted" me in garb and asked me how "did you get your hands on those costumes" Then she told me (after having me get out of them and hand them to her (nope, sorry, these aren't ours, they are too well made). LOL (You can tell Josie's work anywhere... She's an amazing recreator) So, I can give info on those. Actually have all the material for his Snow Outfit, but never made it...hmmm might at some point in time. (and being politially incorrect) even have the "cringe" wolf fur that was used for the ruff of the hood. (Ok, don't flame me...this was 20 years ago and the hide was a gift from a guy who liked me cause he knew I loved wolfs...yeah...uh..right...but I stll have it)

By the Way..did I say that our Mom is the BEST EVER? She knew how hard we always looked and the trouble we went through match materials...so when we were telling her about the book she GAVE us the $$ for it for early Christmas presents. (Course, Jos claimed it..but I get to see it occassionally! [face_laugh] My Mom, I love her!!!!!

12. kay_dee Force Ghost

star 4
    OK, I'm going to take you up on this! First off, do you have the Han ANH outfit (blue pants red stripes). What fabric are your pants made from (dark midnight blue denim or a cotton twill in navy blue? Something else like polyester like Hans ROTJ pants?)

If you have a ANH shirt, is yours made of a jersey knit (T-shirt type material) or more of a linen or cotton broadcloth type shirting fabric (no stretch). I know the ROTJ shirt is more linen looking, but the ANH shirt baffles me at times!

As for your vest, is is lined on the inside using the same fabric as the outside?

Those are my questions for now :) I'm so behind on this due to FIDM and processing photos for my friends who are dying to see detailed shots of their favorite costumes!

Matt I'll scan the swatches for you and give you a pantone # for each. Can I just email you the jpgs of the scans?

- Kay Dee
  13. Master--Kenobi Jedi Master

star 4
    Sent you the info. Enjoy! (Some day I have GOT to get back into those outfits).. ahhh memories.
    :D
  14. JedHead1 Force Ghost

star 5
    Kathy, go ahead and e-mail me the scans. Speaking of Han's pants, I'd also be interested in doing similar pants, but for a Luke ANH ceremonial costume. I believe they're like Han's ROTJ pants-brown with yellow stripes.
  15. Adyn Jedi Knight

star 1
    Since I had the wierdo card that Roberts lappie couldn't read, my pics didn't make it on the CD (speaking of... Kat, mine is still in your folder! LOL) So anyhow I tossed a bunch of my pics (though not all the detail shots etc) up on my mac page.

SFFF Visits Dressing a Galaxy!

Weee!

Oh, and I was lazy and didn't adjust the brightness/contrast... these are just straight shots, feel free to steal em and make em better haha...
  16. kay_dee Force Ghost

star 4
    Adyn, if you pm me your address I can mail you the disk in case we don't see one another for a while? (I'll find out tonight if going to the movie and meeting tomorrow is cool or not).

- Kay Dee
  17. kay_dee Force Ghost

star 4
    I figured I might as well share this info here - although I'm probably the only crazy one who plans to go to FIDM once more before it closes. LOL!

Star Wars - Dressing a Galaxy Society Membership
    Dressing a Galaxy Society Membership

$30.00

Fans! With great excitement, the FIDM Museum & Galleries presents Star Wars fans everywhere with an exciting opportunity. We have launched the Dressing A Galaxy: The Costumes of Star Wars Society. Own a piece of Star Wars costume history!

As a member of the society you receive the following exclusive benefits and exciting collectibles.

A personalized, exclusive FIDM Dressing A Galaxy collectible membership card.

Unlimited access to the FIDM Museum & Galleries for the duration of the exhibition (through December 10, 2005)

An exclusive Star Wars hat and additional freebies.

Weekly MEMBERS ONLY discount specials (such as particular discounts on specific items).

A 15% discount on all Star Wars items within our Galaxy Shop THROUGH DECEMBER 23, 2005.

E-mail updates on product specials in the gallery shop and news from FIDM.

An invitation to our private closing party!

Additionally, you will have early access to the FIDM Dressing A Galaxy exhibition - one hour before the general public on our blow-out fan day, December 4th.

All this can be yours for only: $30.00 ($5 Domestic S&H for this outside of the state of California)

*This membership will be retired upon the closing of the FIDM Museum & Galleries Galaxy Shop on December 23, 2005.
    ** All proceeds from this sale go directly to the FIDM Museum & Galleries to fund future exhibitions.
  18. jawajames FF Pacific RSA / Chapter Rep San Diego, CA

Manager
    star 6
    Dec 4 is going to be another special fan day...
  19. kay_dee Force Ghost

star 4
    Thanks for mentioning that James :) I had meant to mention it and I fogot!

- Kay Dee
  20. JedHead1 Force Ghost

star 5
    Well, we made it again! Another benefit of having Hyperspace:

http://www.starwars.com/hyperspace/member/insideronline/85/indexp6.html
  21. kay_dee Force Ghost

star 4
    Cool, I'm glad to see our group (including the fan girls) made it into Bantha Tracks :) So Matt, when were you interviewed? You really are the chosen one! LOL! Glad you mentioned the Oscar nomination bit.

- kay dee
  22. JedHead1 Force Ghost

star 5
    You know, I think I was interviewed in the Padme room, but I didn't realize they were from starwars.com. At least I don't remember them introducing themselves as such. Some of us were also interviewed by a local radio show, and from an Asian show as well. I wish I could remember who they were to perhaps get a copy of the shows, if possible. Who should I talk to about that? As for the Oscar mention, I think it's true. Trisha deserves it. If she doesn't win, could you imagine the riots that would ensue of hundreds of thousands of costumed geeks protesting that? Oh, wait. That's been done. ;)
  23. kay_dee Force Ghost

star 4
    I wish I could remember who they were to perhaps get a copy of the shows, if possible. Who should I talk to about that?

Well, if someone here remembers who was recording your interviews you could then contact them. I didn't catch the name of the radio station interviewing us.

Since Mary Franklin is quoting you, I'd consider contacting her. :)

The group I was with on fan day was interviewed for a TV Show in LA (Rough Cut LA). I contacted the guy who produced the segment and hopefully he'll follow through and send out a copy of the show that aired on Nov 1st.

- Kay Dee
  24. jawajames FF Pacific RSA / Chapter Rep San Diego, CA

Manager
    star 6
    kay-dee, good to see you again at FIDM! you looked marvelous!
  25. kay_dee Force Ghost

star 4
    Thanks James! Man, there were so many fans there on Sunday I couldn't believe it. If you hadn't stopped to take our photo I probably would have missed saying hello to you all together! Glad you could make it out to LA.

For those interested - here is the group picture taken in front of the tree

[image=http://kay-dee.net/fidm/fanday1/fanday2-group.jpg]

- Kay Dee
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.