main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

FIDM Gallery review from Gala Opening (SPOILERS)

Discussion in 'Archive: Santa Cruz, CA' started by mrcottonsparrot, Sep 14, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mrcottonsparrot

mrcottonsparrot Jedi Youngling star 2

Jul 26, 2004
    I got to meet, converse and have cocktails with, and have my photograph taken with George Lucas. Let me first say that.

Having achieved this Geek Nirvana while yet maintaining a professional attitude, was a high point in my career...

BUY THE BOOK. Duh. What makes it worth the $50 ALONE is the back pages, which are PACKED with thumbnail photos of EVERY COSTUME EVER SHOT in a SW film (note, I did not say every CHARACTER, for instance not every Imperial officer is personally represented, just the costume references). It is TOTAL EYE CANDY.

The Gala opening was spectacular, with great food and the opportunity to be literally one of the first to see the exhibit (before parts of it get carted to NY Fashion Week prior to the grand opening next week...).

It was a great hit, as is the book, but it is not without definite misfires.

Most disappointingly, the following costumes are NOT at the exhibit: The "Lake Retreat Arrival Dress" (gondola dress), and the "Homestead Garage" (I swear they're calling it that...) dress, the dark blue Erte-esque one. I was REALLY disappointed about the first one, it was really the only costume I wanted to see in the first place.

Also, I have to say I am really non-plussed about the basically "lip-service only" treatment of episodes 4-5-6 (in both the exhibit AND the book). Grand total: 7 (SEVEN) costumes (Luke & Leia Hoth, Luke Jedi, Obi-Wan, Leia Slave Girl, Han Solo Empire and one other one that actually escapes me...). I mean, yeah, OK, I admit we saw many more in the Magic/Myth exhibit, but please. Hyping this exhibit as "costumes from all six movies!" and then shoving the ONE old-school-movies paltry tableau literally by the entry door (first thing you see after droids), is whack.

Also, the lighting is a problem in many places, particularly if you're going for photos from the dark side (PUN INTENDED). There's a really nice Imperial mannequin, but is shoved in the back row with a black background under crappy lighting -- bring a sloooow lens and a steady hand!

In the plus column, however:

Touchy-feely wall (our unofficial name): Before you enter the massive Padme costume hall, there are samples of fabrics, burnout patterns and embroideries on the wall, which you are invited to "touch with care." And we did!

DAG catalogs open for perusal by patrons in nearly every room, and most rooms having two stations.

The funeral costume and bier, in full regalia. THIS KICKED BUTT. However, once again, it was displayed in such a strange way that you have a "great view of the feet" and partially-obscured hem, you cannot walk all the way around it, so you have no close view of the bodice or anything at the top.

SECRET: Make sure you have to go to the restroom. Otherwise you will totally miss three costumes and one of the chairs from the Ep-2 dining scene.

All in all, my score, A-, given the several shortcomings, both of offerings and gallery design/lighting.

(But I got my picture taken personally with George Lucas, so who the h*** am I to complain?!)

MrCottonsParrot

2. MotherPalpatine

MotherPalpatine Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 2, 2004
  3. DarkLordSid

DarkLordSid Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 3, 2004
    Very cool, MrCottonsParrot, thanks for the download.

*waves*

4. Kai_Vandekar

Kai_Vandekar Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 9, 2005
    Cool review! Thanks for posting it. Yeah, clearly I must get down there to see the exhibit at some point.

So, posting your GL pic? C'mon, you know you wanna...

5. DarkLordSid

DarkLordSid Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 3, 2004
    And one of these days we'll get a review from another pair that went to the opening as well.

*pokes in the ribs*

6. Miana Kenobi

Miana Kenobi Admin Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 5, 2000
    LOL.

My review:

FREAKING SWEET!

The end. :p

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.