main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Challenge Fifty Titles in Search of a Story | We have a winner! Congrats to divapilot :)

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by ProlificWritersSock, Nov 22, 2015.

1. mavjade

mavjade Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 10, 2005
    After discussion in MS, it was decided that while a few sentences in a language other than English is fine, outside of the FanForce Forums anything longer should be in English only.
    The mods need to be able to read all posts. Even with the translation in English, the mods can't read what is written in the other language and therefore can't be certain that the translation is accurate/within the TOS.

Chyntuck likes this.
  2. Darthmagus970

Darthmagus970 Jedi Knight

Dec 20, 2015
    Hi, I would like to have number 36. Thank you.

Chyntuck likes this.
  3. Chyntuck

Chyntuck Force Ghost star 5

Jul 11, 2014
    Hi Darthmagus970 and welcome to the boards [:D] I added your name to the list, you'll receive your title on 01 January.

Since you're new around here (or are you a returning user from the dawn of time?) you'll want to read the sticky threads in the Resource Forum if you haven't done so already. The Fanfic FAQ is the detailed rules for the Fanfic boards (yup, there's lots of 'em) and the Resource Index will help you find useful resource threads. The Spoiler Policy is the hot thing right now that TFA has been released, you probably want to read that one first to make sure that you don't spoil other fanficcers who haven't seen the film yet.

4. leiamoody

leiamoody Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 8, 2005
    I want to drop out of this before I start. I'm going to pull back on my fic contributions around here, and would just like to focus upon what I've already got planned. Thank you.

5. Chyntuck

Jul 11, 2014
    :( Are you sure about this leiamoody? You were participating out of competition anyway, and the title you picked is right up your alley. *anything goes to get another LM story on the boards*

6. leiamoody

leiamoody Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 8, 2005
    Yes. (Curious to see what the title would have been, if possible).

7. SabyneAmberle

SabyneAmberle Jedi Grand Master star 3

Sep 16, 2004
    This could be fun.

I'll take 33.

Chyntuck and Ewok Poet like this.
  8. Tarsier

Tarsier Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 31, 2005
    I have a question about what is meant by "all-new." I would like to participate in this challenge with a story that is a sequel to something I have already written, and for which I already have a few ideas (but nothing written) - is that acceptable?

Nyota's Heart and Chyntuck like this.
  9. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

WarmNyota_SweetAyesha Chosen One star 8

Aug 31, 2004
    Woohoo, more Final Fantasy stuff, Tarsier [face_batting]

Tarsier and Chyntuck like this.
  10. Chyntuck

Jul 11, 2014
    Tarsier As long as you have nothing written, I'd say that it qualifies as all-new. We all have preferences of characters, storylines and themes we'd like to write about, so going into the challenge with that is fine by me. My understanding of Admiral Volshe 's earlier post was that she was thinking of re-vamping something that's already at least partly written. That would defeat the purpose of setting a minimum word count for the year. Does that make sense?

Tarsier likes this.
  11. Tarsier

Tarsier Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 31, 2005
  12. brodiew

brodiew Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 11, 2005

Having not written anything in a couple of years or more, I'm hoping that a Title and TFA will inspire something of merit.

#44, please.

13. Glor

Glor Jedi Master star 1

Sep 6, 2015
    #1, if you'd be so kind.

Chyntuck likes this.
  14. pregnantpadme

pregnantpadme Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 25, 2004
    It must be fate... I've been wanting to write again (and finish some long abandoned work) and have not been able to get the juices flowing. This feels like a cool way to work myself back in.

I'll take #15 if that's ok.

15. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    pregnantpadme and Chyntuck like this.
  16. Chyntuck

Jul 11, 2014
    Welcome to fanfic to the newcomers, welcome back to returning users [:D]

I added everyone to the sign-up sheet (I think so at least). Just a reminder that all the titles will be sent out on 01 January.

17. pregnantpadme

pregnantpadme Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 25, 2004

[:D] Hey! Hope you're well and thanks for the welcome!

Nyota's Heart likes this.
  18. mute90

mute90 Jedi Knight star 1

Sep 18, 2012
    I'll take 25, please.

I've finished a few long fics, but I tend to lose steam and only get to 'the end' by sheer force of will. Always end up more satisfied with my short fic. This can be my next attempt.

Chyntuck likes this.
  19. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    For our hostess: Chyntuck I select #39

Chyntuck likes this.
  20. ProlificWritersSock

ProlificWritersSock Jedi Master star 1

Feb 3, 2015
    It’s away! The titles are out for those who signed up, but bear in mind that sign-ups are still open, so you can jump in anytime until 15 March.

If you haven’t received your PM yet, or if I forgot to add your name to the list in the sign-up sheet, please berate me publicly in this thread and I’ll fix it straight away.

Here are a few questions to break the ice.

What is your first reaction to your title? Do you feel inspired, uninspired, intrigued, mystified?

Did a particular plot bunny pop into your head?

Does the title evoke themes that you usually write or would like to write?

Do you already have an idea of the sort of story you want to write for it (genre, era, fandom, etc)? Or would you rather let it mature a bit?

Do you think it’s a good title, and why? (see also here and here for discussions about titles)

Are you curious to read the work it was borrowed from, or have you already read it? Do you think that being familiar with the work in question is/would be helpful, or is it a hindrance? Why?

For those who sign up later this year, feel free to answer these questions too.

One more thing: if you would like to have a collective brainstorming session about the titles, please say so and I’ll reserve a week for that.

Raissa Baiard and Ewok Poet like this.
  21. earlybird-obi-wan

earlybird-obi-wan Chosen One star 6

Aug 21, 2006
    What is your first reaction to your title? Do you feel inspired, uninspired, intrigued, mystified?

Great and it will be fitting to my story

Yes with more mayhem for the characters.

I am a lover of natural things

Do you already have an idea of the sort of story you want to write for it (genre, era, fandom, etc)? Or would you rather let it mature a bit?

It will be in beyond legends starring my characters now staying on Moniron

Do you think it’s a good title, and why? (see also here and here for discussions about titles)
    it is perfect for the story

Are you curious to read the work it was borrowed from, or have you already read it? Do you think that being familiar with the work in question is/would be helpful, or is it a hindrance? Why?

Very curious

Chyntuck and Ewok Poet like this.
  22. jcgoble3

jcgoble3 Chosen One star 6

Nov 7, 2010
    I'll answer these questions over the weekend.

Can we publicly mention our title here, or does that need to wait until we post Chapter 1?

Chyntuck likes this.
  23. Ewok Poet

Ewok Poet Force Ghost star 6

Jul 31, 2014
    DARKNESS AT NOON?
    Excellent. ]-}
    - Monty Burns

It popped up when I saw this challenge on December 7th already and the title was to guide certain aspects of the story. What I am saying will make sense on December 31st, I promise. [face_whistling]

Surprisingly, yes. The answer to the above question indicates that I would have been OK with any title, because my idea was to use it as a leitmotif or something...but this one required only one minor change to what I originally planned.

See my response to the second question.

See my response to the second question.

I have read the work it was borrowed from about fifteen years ago, and since it's a perfect match, I might as well re-read it. Out of the authors revealed so far, Remarque is my second idol next only to Chekhov and I like Eco and Dostoevsky, too; Eco's title would have suited me as well...but this is perfect.

24. Chyntuck

Jul 11, 2014
    Of course. The title list is up on page 1 of this thread anyway :)

jcgoble3 likes this.
  25. Lazy K

Lazy K Jedi Knight star 2

Sep 22, 2012
    My title: Notes from Underground

I feel . . . odd. The title is usually the last thing I come up with, and it's quite often a case of "I can't post this without a title. Think!"

From the word underground:

1. underground railway - Jedi, clones, Imperials, slaves (wookiees)?
    2. tunnels, sewers, infrastructure. things unseen.

A couple of ideas (well, maybe more) come to mind, but nothing specific yet.

I usually have no idea what the theme is until the fic is about half done - after which I've had to scrap quite a bit of what I've written. The same applies here, at least so far.

At the moment I'm just throwing things against the wall to see what sticks.

Do you think it's a good title, and why?

As someone in the movie industry once said, "A good title is one that's attached to a successful movie."

Are you curious to read the work it was borrowed from, or have you already read it?

*googles*

Hmm, doesn't seem like the sort of thing I'd usually read.

Do you think that being familiar with the work in question is/would be helpful, or is it a hindrance? Why?

It depends on the story I'm going to write. For now I'm going to stay away, just to see what rabbits I can get from the title alone.

earlybird-obi-wan, Glor and Chyntuck like this.