main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Film Composers and Composing: AFI's Master Class The Art of Collaboration Spielberg/Williams

Discussion in 'Archive: The Amphitheatre' started by Zaz, Oct 30, 2008.

1. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Words cannot adequately describe how fantastic Basil's Conan: The Barbarian score is. There's no bad track. No unmemorable theme. "Anvil of Crom", "Riders of Doom", "Wheel of Pain", "Atlantean Sword", "Battle of the Mounds pt 1"- these are tracks that, by themselves, films would kill to have as their main theme.

"The Gift of Fury", "The Funeral Pyre" & "The Death of Rexor" are just powerful and emotional. "Theology" and "Wifeing" are fun little jaunts.

The Starship Troopers score? Klendathu Drop is just overpoweringly triumphant and mournful at the same time. The bombastic propaganda themes of the Fed March and They Will Win are memorably fun.

The there are ones like Robocop (hell, the music was the only good thing about Robocop 3!).

2. JohnWesleyDowney

JohnWesleyDowney Jedi Master star 5

Jan 27, 2004

I agree, the Conan score is extraordinary.

I remember a long time ago reading a quote from George Lucas who said that out of all of the students that emerged from his class at USC in the mid-sixties, a lot of people felt Basil Pouledouris was the most gifted person there, and he did too. That's quite a compliment as an awful lot of talented people were at USC in those days.

Parts of the Conan score practically induce a trance...incredible.

3. Mastadge

Mastadge Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 4, 1999
    Best known for his fantasy adventures, particularly Conan, although The Jungle Book, The Touch and Flesh+Blood are all wonderful as well, but he was at home in a number of genres. His Lonesome Dove was lovely Americana, a folksy western voice he expanded, though never with quite the glory of the original, in stuff like Quigley Down Under, For Love of the Game, and The Legend of Butch & Sundance. Throughout the 80s and 90s, he was neck-and-neck with Jerry Goldsmith providing fine action scores for forgettable movies. He wrote particularly well for movies dealing with sailing or the sea -- Big Wednesday, The Blue Lagoon, A Whale for the Killing, Free Willy, Wind and Kimberly. Epic drama? Les misérables. Intimate drama? It's My Party. Adventure? White Fang, Farewell to the King. The man was wonderful in any genre, truly a great musical voice and a wonderful man. I miss him.

4. Zaz

Zaz Jedi Knight star 9

Oct 11, 1998
    The "Lonesome Dove" score is wonderful, I agree.

5. Zaz

Zaz Jedi Knight star 9

Oct 11, 1998
  6. Zaz

Zaz Jedi Knight star 9

Oct 11, 1998
  7. Zaz

Zaz Jedi Knight star 9

Oct 11, 1998
  8. MrZAP

MrZAP Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 2, 2007
    So I almost got to see Ennio Morricone in concert on the 25th...the guy's eighty years old, and he's my favorite film composer of all time. More than Williams or Zimmer or Goldsmith or Herrman or Shore. And I LOVE film scores. After the writing, it's the most important part of a film for me. Not cinematography, or sound mixing, or acting, or ever editing. It's the score and the writing.

That being said, Morricone is godlike in my eyes. I will be very forlorn the day/week/month he dies...he's simply amazing. Eighty years old and still coming out with three or four scores a year in his native Italy. Amazing.

The show is already sold out at the Hollywood Bowl, or I would have gone. Tickets have only been on sale for two weeks...crazy stuff. But it's good to see he's appreciated here in L.A.

9. Chancellor_Ewok

Chancellor_Ewok Chosen One star 7

Nov 8, 2004
    No Star Wars? Its only one of the most iconic sci-fi themes ever. [face_shame_on_you]

10. Zaz

Zaz Jedi Knight star 9

Oct 11, 1998
  11. Rogue1-and-a-half

Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 2, 2000
    The Mission might just be my favorite film score. It's at the very least in a dead heat for first with Hermann's Vertigo.

Once Upon a Time in the West and The Good, the Bad and the Ugly are both also brilliant. Years of pastiches and rip offs still haven't tarnished the brilliance of the originals.

12. Django211

Django211 Force Ghost star 4

Mar 6, 1999
    Interesting stuff to hear from Morricone's peers. His ouput is simply amazing, not to mention his diversity. Horror, westerns, romance he has done everything & with such a distinct sound. Look up his credits on IMDB and see how many films he has done. What is particularly impressive is his output from the 60s. Dozens of spaghetti westerns and some the best of their kind. A number of times his scores were better than the films themselves. Its a shame he never won an Oscar in the competition part. His lifetime achievement award was well deserved.

13. Zaz

Zaz Jedi Knight star 9

Oct 11, 1998
    TCM has a documentary on Johnny Mercer on tonight, along with some of the movies he worked on.

14. JohnWesleyDowney

Jan 27, 2004

The score to E.T. has always been one of my favorites so I found this video fascinating.

John Williams talks about scoring E.T.

The last 15 minutes of E.T.'s score is some of John William's greatest work in my opinion, and there's an interesting story in the video of how difficult it was to get it right.

15. Zaz

Zaz Jedi Knight star 9

Oct 11, 1998
    That is very interesting. :)

16. JohnWesleyDowney

Jan 27, 2004

Yes, and it's also one of the most interesting glimpses of how Spielberg and Williams work together that I've ever seen. Really good behind the scenes stuff.

17. Zaz

Zaz Jedi Knight star 9

Oct 11, 1998
  18. Nevermind

Nevermind Jedi Knight star 6

Oct 14, 2001
  19. Nevermind

Oct 14, 2001
  20. Nevermind

Oct 14, 2001
  21. Nevermind

Oct 14, 2001
    8-9PM | TCM
    AFI's Master Class [MDASH] The Art of Collaboration

"Steven Spielberg and composer John Williams discuss their favorite movie-music moments."

22. Nevermind

Oct 14, 2001
    John Williams rec'd Oscar noms for both "Tintin" and "War Horse"

23. JohnWesleyDowney

Jan 27, 2004
    Williams now has more Oscar nominations than any other living person. He now has 47 with the Tintin and War Horse nominations.

Only Walt Disney had more, with a lifetime total of 59 Oscar nominations.

24. The_Four_Dot_Elipsis

The_Four_Dot_Elipsis Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 3, 2005
    Are we placing bets already that he'll score another one for Lincoln? If he can be nominated for Sleepers and Memoirs of a Geisha, he can be nominated for anything.

Also, I find it slightly ludicrous that he didn't get nominated for his second set of Star Wars scores. Even if the films were coldly received, those scores are pretty much uniformly top-notch and could match it with anything else that either won or was nominated in those years.