main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph Film Releases & Trends of a Decade Retrospective: The Nineties A-Z. Now Disc: 1993 D-G

Discussion in 'Community' started by The2ndQuest , Apr 15, 2009.

1. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    I actually just watched Chaplin the other day. RDJ is definitely great in the role, even if the film is kinda a mess.

I always love watching Batman Returns. Way better than Burton's first one, IMO.

2. The_Four_Dot_Elipsis

The_Four_Dot_Elipsis Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 3, 2005
    Correct weight.

3. Obi Anne

Obi Anne Celebration Mistress of Ceremonies star 8 Staff Member Manager

Nov 4, 1998
    Almost all the films I've seen in this list is basically "I've seen them, but can't really remember anything about them" That definitely goes for Basic Instinct and The Bodyguard. Aladdin is the only one I saw in the cinema, but except for "A whole new world" can't remember much there either. Maybe it would be a good thing to rewatch it. I saw The Crying Game a year or so ago, and found it too slow for my taste. It feels as if it's a theatre play adapted to the film, and it probably works better on stage. Personally I just couldn't keep my concentration on it.

I've always wanted to see 1492, but still haven't done that.

4. Chancellor_Ewok

Chancellor_Ewok Chosen One star 7

Nov 8, 2004
    Aladdin was a great movie.

Robin Williams makes everything better. :D

5. Champion of the Force

Champion of the Force Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 27, 1999
    Aladdin is fantastic. ^:)^ I'd happily believe the rumour that Williams didn't have any scripted lines but instead just made it up as he went (it's nonsense of course, but I'd love to believe it anyway :p ).

6. Chancellor_Ewok

Chancellor_Ewok Chosen One star 7

Nov 8, 2004
    I can believe that. His first TV appearence was as Mork on Happy Days. Henry Winkler said that he improvised continuously for the entire episode and didn't look at the script once.

7. corran2

corran2 Jedi Master star 4

May 16, 2006
    Aladdin is one of the best Disney films. Jasmine is certainly the most attractive princess, and Genie is just a joy to behold. Robin Williams never ceases to make me laugh, except in his more dramatic roles, sometimes for the better (Dead Poets Society; Good Will Hunting), sometimes for the worse (What Dreams May Come).

Batman Returns is visually stunning, and thankfully Burton has the cast to back up his sometimes distancing obsession with the look of a film. Michelle Pfieffer steals the movie.

The Crying Game is one of those movies that I think a lot of people ignore once they find out the twist, but this is a great thriller regardless of it. Stephen Rea sort of brings this great world-weariness to the role, and watch out for the shot of adrenaline that is Miranda Ricahrdson in this movie.

8. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000

Notable releases:

D
    E

F
    G
    T2Q Comments:

-Death Becomes Her: Haven't seen it since it came out on cable, but I enjoyed the dark comedy as a kid.

-El Mariachi: Solid low budget action flick- though I think the making of/behind the scenes content is actually more fascinating, given the clever techniques Robert Rodriguez utilized to pull the film off on the budget he did.

-Encino Man: One of the 4 Pauly Shore movies anyone actually remembers (alongside Son in Law, In the Army Now & Biodome), but is probably more notable for effectively launching Brendan Fraser's career (which is probably why he returned to cameo as Link in 2 of those other Pauly Shore movies).

-Ferngully: The Last Rainforest: I know I saw this as a kid, but other then a few visuals I don' recall the specifics. I'm probably going to watch it again at some point in the future, but probably not until I have kids.

-A Few Good Men: I'll avoid the obvious quotation ;). Not much to say- solid courtroom drama bolstered by Aaron Sorkin dialogue.

-Forever Young: Probably saw this on cable at some point, if only in part. Will probably revisit eventually.

-Frozen Assets: Never aw it, don;t plan on it, but it has the reputation of being one of the worst movies ever made. But provides for some enjoyable trashing from Siskel & Ebert:
    Siskel described the film "a step way down in quality- one of the dumbest comedies I have ever seen. It was as depressing an experience as I've ever had at the movies" and Ebert also said "I've been a movie critic since 1967- and there was nothing that I saw that even approaches this in its abysmal awfulness. This is perhaps the worst comedy ever made. After having seen this movie, I want months and months and months in a valley with honey and nectar and zephyr-like breezes (referring to his desperate need for happiness after seeing this film)." Both critics named it the worst film of 1992[3] and Ebert also gave the film the rare zero stars rating in the Chicago Sun-Times, writing "I felt like I was an eyewitness to a disaster. If I had been an actor in the film, I would have wondered why all the characters in this movie seem dumber than the average roadkill. What puzzles me is this film's tone. It's essentially a children's film with a dirty mind. This is a movie to watch in appalled silence. To call it the year's worst would be a kindness."

Movies I (probably) Want See
    -Damage
    -Deep Cover
    -Far and Away
    -Fifty/Fifty*
    -Forever Young
    -Freejack
    -Glenhgarry Glen Ross
    -Godzilla and Mothra: The Battle for Earth

Overall Trends:

Pauly Shore and Brendan Fraser would ride the success of Encino Man to various effect for a few years. El Mariachi would spawn Desperado and help make Robert Rodriguez one of the staple Miramax/Dimension names alongside Tarintino. Ferngully would get a sequel and become one of the common comparisons to Avatar's plot years later.

*Why, because theres very little info on it (was hard to even find the trailer) and the poster looks like this:
    [​IMG]

I mean, you just know what kind of movie it is going in [face_laugh]

9. Frank T.

Frank T. Force Ghost star 6

Sep 2, 2012
    Only saw half a dozen of these. Nothing I liked and there's none I'm interested in. Shame on you '92 D-G.

10. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    You didn't miss anything. Not even Mick Jagger as Vacendak could save that film.

11. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    That's one that I'm going in knowing it won't be good, but bad 90's sci-fi can be amusing disasters- and, often, there's usually some detail or concept I can take inspiration from. And I also plan to do a cyberpunk marathon at some point in the future, and I'll need stuff to fit between the 5,000 different cuts of Blade Runner- it was hard watching that movie once, I can't take it back-to-back with itself. ;)

12. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001

WHAT?!?

Freejack is awesome in a "this is a good idea in a horrible way with campy performances" film! And Jagger is awesome!

13. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Only commenting on a couple of these:

A Few Good Men: One of my favorite movies of all time. Now I need to go back to that "first R-rated movie you'll let your kids watch" question. :p

Jack Nicholson's performance gets the most discussion as far as this film goes, especially the "You can't handle the truth!" scene, and Tom Cruise and Demi Moore get discussed next. But one actor who is underrated here is Noah Wylie as Corporal Jeffrey Owen Barnes.

"Nobody likes her very much."
    "Yes, sir."

"You mean to say that in your entire time at Gitmo, you've never had a meal?"
    "No sir. Three squares a day, sir."
    "Well, how did you know where the mess hall was, if it's not in this book?"
    "I guess I just followed the crowd at chow time, sir."

Tom Cruise had some great funny lines, especially early in the film.

"It was oregano, Dave. Oregano."
    "Your client thought it was marijuana."
    "My client's a moron. That's not against the law."
    "I have people to answer to just like you do. I'm going to charge him."
    "With what? Possession of a condiment?"

"I get sick when I fly because I'm afraid of crashing into a large mountain. I don't think dramamine will help."

But his best performance was at the end. "Don't call me son. I'm a lawyer and an officer in the United States Navy. And you're under arrest you son of a *****. The witness is excused."

Far and Away: Another Cruise movie, not nearly as good, a reason for newlyweds Cruise and Kidman to film together.

14. Havac

Havac Former Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 29, 2005
    Not even Glengarry Glen Ross?

15. Frank T.

Frank T. Force Ghost star 6

Sep 2, 2012
    Haven't seen that one. Though I suppose I could give it a chance because of Lemmon. I'm not a fan of the other actors in it though.

16. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    Glengarry Glen Ross is a fantastic actor's powerhouse. Every single performance is Oscar worthy.

Havac likes this.
  17. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000

Notable releases:

H
    I
    J
    K
    L
    T2Q Comments:

Hero: File this one under the "Definitely saw it but can't remember much of anything" category.

Home Alone 2: Lost in New York: Even though this one is a blatant retread of the first film, it still manages to be funny- if only due to the absurd levels of cartoon violence that would absolutely kill someone in reality (yes, throwing a brick off the top of a building at someone's head will kill them- Merry Christmas!), though I like the larger scale they've applied the concept to here. The first film was centered around Christmas at home, whereas this one has Christmas on a broader scope.

Honey, I Blew Up the Kid:I know I saw all three of these (plus the 3D attraction) but I think even as a kid I realized that it's really only the first one you care about (though the 3D attraction was fun).

Honeymoon in Vegas: I saw this one on cable or video during a Nick Cage stint, though I only remember a couple scenes now.

HouseSitter: Another cable stint, drawing on Goldie Hawn and Steve Martin appeal from other comedies I had seen as a kid.

Ladybugs: Rodney Dangerfield and the kid from seaQuest. It's a dumb "family" comedy with a tired concept, but it's still Rodney.

A League of Their Own: This one is kind of a second-tier classic at this point, isn't it? Good story and a funny cast (especially Hanks- "Are you crying?! There's no crying! There's no crying in baseball!!!". It may be an over exposed line but the delivery keeps it hilarious)

Leap of Faith:Another Steve Martin cable viewing of little impact.

Lethal Weapon 3: I've only seen Lethal Weapon 4 and, probably, LW 1 in their entirety. I've seen parts of Lethal Weapons with Joe Pesci, but I couldn't tell (or, at this point, remember) if they were 2 or 3. One of these days I really do need to sit down and watch them all.

-The Hand That Rocks the Cradle
    -Hard Boiled
    -Hoffa
    -Into the Sun
    -Killer Image
    -Knight Moves
    -Kuffs (watched the trailer and it's like Christian Slater at his Slateriest with a dash of Ferris Bueller)
    -The Last of the Mohicans
    -The Lawnmower Man
    -Lethal Weapon 3
    -Light Sleeper
    -Live Wire
    -Lorenzo's Oil

Overall Trends:

This isn't a very string sampling to judge much of anything in terms of trends, but the Lethal Weapon and Home Alone franchises aren't quite done yet (though the latter certainly peaked here) and, clearly, hard Boiled would have significant impact in years to come as Hong Kong action cinema starts to heavily influence domestic productions.

18. Juliet316

Juliet316 Chosen One star 10

Apr 27, 2005
    Fun (/sarcasm) Fact: I saw Lethal Weapon 3 in '94 when I was in the hospital following my first asthma attack). Haven't see it (or any other Mel movies) since his anti - sementic rants.

I think Home Alone 2 was the only film listed in this section that I saw in theaters that year (the other one I believe was Star Trek: Generations), IMO, it's a bit better than the original, but that could be put down to, as you say, the bigger scope of the story (though I do believe it had a slightly more well - written script as well IMO).

I saw The Last of the Mohicans in high school (either junior or Senior year, can't quite remember which now), and it really was an epic movie. My one regret is that I didn't see it up in a theater, because it's one of those few films, like The Dark Knight and a couple of others, that really needs to be seen on the Big Screen to fully experience it.

19. DarthTunick

DarthTunick SFTC VII + Deadpool BOFF star 10 VIP - Game Host

Nov 26, 2000

Which, rightfully so, has taken its place as among one of the all time great & memorable film quotes. However, I'm personally more fond of this line:

"YOU GODDAMN RIGHT I DID!"

20. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Home Alone 2: I agree about the absurd level of cartoon violence, I even skip over those scenes, but overall I enjoyed the movie.

Love Field: filmed in my home town, at least part of it was. Horrible movie.

Last of the Mohicans: kind of dragged, but it was OK.

DarthTunick: "I eat breakfast 300 yards away from 4000 Cubans who are trained to kill me. So don't think for one second that you can show up here, flash a badge, and make me nervous."

DarthTunick likes this.
  21. Saintheart

Saintheart Jedi Grand Master star 6

Dec 16, 2000
    Knight Moves was surprisingly good. No big action sequences for Christopher Lambert, it's basically a serial killer investigation written around a chess tournament. Lambert's charisma doesn't let him down here any more than it let him down in the Highlander films, and even if you can see the ending coming a mile off, it has nice use of colour.

22. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    You can't remember anything about Basic Instinct? Really?

Not even one little thing?

The2ndQuest likes this.
  23. Saintheart

Saintheart Jedi Grand Master star 6

Dec 16, 2000
    Well, assuming Obi-Anne is not a GIRL, I could understand not remembering anything about Basic Instinct.

24. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    Home Alone 2 is very unsettling mainly due to the fact that Joe Pesci and Daniel Stern's main goal is child murder.

25. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000

Notable releases:

M
    N
    O
    P-Q
    T2Q Comments:

-Grouping together those that fall under the "saw as a kid (at least partially) but only vaguely remember": Medicine Man, Memoirs of an Invisible Man,Mo' Money, Mr. baseball, Mr. Saturday Night, Newsies, Noises Off, Out on a Limb, Passenger 57, The Public Eye

-The Mighty Ducks: Quack! Quack! Quack! Quack! Enjoyable family/kid flick. I recall looking forward to hearing We Will Rock You during the credits. Can't speak for the sequels as much (the second one was ok, I suppose- but much like Home Alone it was basically the same movie) but this one was still fun.

-The Muppet Christmas Carol: One of the best versions of the story, hands down. And one of the best Muppet films as well. Not a whole lot more one can say about it that hasn't already been said.

-My Cousin Vinny:Still hilarious, still memorable. "Da two yoots...", "Ahm pos-i-tive."

-Patriot Games: Not as good as Hunt For Red October or Clear & Present Danger, so it often gets lost or forgotten as part of the original Jack Ryan trilogy- but it's still better than both attempted reboots.

-A Midnight Clear
    -Mac
    -Malcolm X
    -The Mambo Kings
    -Medicine Man (rewatch)
    -Memoirs of an Invisible Man (rewatch)
    -Miracle Beach
    -Mistress
    -Nemesis*
    -(New) Dragon (Gate) Inn
    -Noises Off (rewatch)
    -Once Upon a Time in China II
    -One False Move
    -Orlando
    -Out on a Limb
    -Passenger 57 (rewatch)
    -Pet Semetary Two
    -The Player
    -The Public Eye (rewatch)

Overall Trends:

-Going by this block of titles, the year had two "Mr. _____" movies, several "Once Upon a _____" titles and, apparently, a lot of Hollwood-based/self-referential films. Joe Pesci is pretty much exploding into major star this year with Vinny. Wesley Snipes is being elevated to a major (or, at least, second tier) action star. And, well, that Plymouth Rock quote from M-X is going to be quoted quite often for many years. Oh, and I guess Mo' Money represents the popularity of In Living Color.

*Why? Because the poster uses that font:

[​IMG]

26. Juliet316

Juliet316 Chosen One star 10

Apr 27, 2005
    I'd personally recommend Pure Country, it's a pretty good film that has a lot of heart behind it IMO. For what it's worth, for a guy who's day job is as (of course) a country singer, George Strait does a pretty good job in the lead role.

Hmm.... I'm due for a Mighty Ducks rewatch soon.