main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph Film Releases & Trends of a Decade Retrospective: The Nineties A-Z. Now Disc: 1993 D-G

Discussion in 'Community' started by The2ndQuest , Apr 15, 2009.

1. TiniTinyTony

TiniTinyTony JCC Super Bowl Pick 'Em Winner star 7 VIP - Game Winner

Mar 9, 2003
    Not a lot of older movies live up to the way I viewed them as a kid, but I'm happy to report that movies like Newsies and Muppet Christmas Carol do. My brother and I have a tradition where we watch MCC every year at Christmas time. And as The2ndQuest said, My Cousin Vinny is still great today. It's one of those movies that might be on cable on a Sunday and no matter what part it's on, you just leave the channel on and finish watching it.

Mighty Ducks is super cheesy and doesn't hold up.
    Memoirs of an Invisible Man was really weird as a kid and still is really weird.

2. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    I took a look at it's info, but, in the end, it's still about country music, and that's a deal breaker. ;)

3. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Hey, look- free time.

Notable releases:

R
    S
    T
    U-V
    W
    Y
    T2Q Comments:

-Radio Flyer, Sneakers, Stop! Or My Mom Will Shoot!, Unforgiven & White Men Can't Jump fall under the "saw it, but don't remember much" category. Probably remember more of Sneakers and only a couple key scenes in WMCJ. SOMMWS is a title I've referenced far more often as a joke than actually watched the film itself.

-Resovoir Dogs: An explosion of Tarintino goodness. Saw it first on video years later after Pulp Fiction and Jackie Brown, but I definitely enjoyed it more than those two films. Fantastic cast, memorable lines and scenes. Not much else to say.

-Sidekicks: Definitely loved this one as a kid. Yeah, it was a rip off of The Karate Kid but it was a little more self aware to the point of basically being a near-parody of it. Plus, it has Chuck Norris and the kid from seaQuest.

-Sister Act: This was a somewhat unique theatrical experience as I recall it being the first time my parents took us to see a movie on the spur of the moment without it being a movie we had asked to go see (as far as my sister and I knew, at least- I suspect they tricked us so they could see it). Still, it was a solid comedy and certainly one of Whoopi's best ones.

-Stay Tuned: Oh, I definitely saw this...

-Toys: This is such a bizarre movie. Even as a kid I couldn't figure out the plastic hair and such. Regardless, I love it. There's a scene in the film that is probably the first example I can think of of a film inspiring a game design idea in me. Anyways, Williams is good fun here.

-Under Siege: I actually think I remember the sequel better than the original here, but I did see it. Clearly decent enough of an action film to give Seagal's career it's launch (although it lost momentum from that point onwards).

-Universal Soldier: "Are we having fun yet?" Gotta rewatch this one some day (probably as part of my long-planned Van Damne marathon) but still, Lundgren and Van Damne? Worth watching. The trailer uses music from T2, which just feels odd- but then they were both made by Carolco and T2 was only a year old at that point.

-Wayne's World: The amount of quoting that can be done from this film is staggering. But, if anything, one can definitively say it changed the way a generation listens to Bohemian Rhapsody in the car. Admit it. You headbang at that part too. No? Liar.

Movies I (probably) Want See
    -Raising Cain (the trailer actually kinda ends with a proto-BWOMM!)
    -Rapid Fire
    -A River Runs Through it
    -Scent of a Woman
    -School Ties
    -Shakes the Clown
    -Singles
    -Sneakers (rewatch)
    -Split Second
    -Stay Tuned (rewatch)
    -Twin Peaks: Fire Walk With Me
    -Trespass
    -Unforgiven
    -Unlawful Entry
    -Where the Day Takes You

Overall Trends:
    Seeing a few vaguely Terminator ripoff type scenarios in the action genre (Universal Soldier, for example). As well as a Die Hard clone with Under Siege. Wayne's World and Sister Act would get sequels (as would Universal Soldier- several in fact). resovoir Dogs is obviously a prelude to an Explosion of Tarintino in a few years as well...

4. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    Damn, good year for movies that begin with R-Y. And Affleck was the bomb in School Ties, yo.

The2ndQuest likes this.
  5. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Yeah, this last batch in particular has had a surprising number of solid films. never considered 1992 a banner year or anything (in the grander scheme of things it kinda gets glanced over for being the year between T2 and JP), but through the course of this project I definitely now have a higher opinion of it. A lot of variety in there.

And so that brings us to the year 1992 in review- what's worth seeing (once or several times?), what's worth keeping?

Skimming back through the lists I posted, here's my personal selections (and, as always, I encourage folks to skim back through the lists and make their own):

Worth Keeping: (aka: get the DVD! [or Blu-Ray; I realize DVD is dated now but I'm not changing the terminology now- you know what I mean])
    -Aladdin
    -Alien 3 (especially the Assembly Cut)
    -Batman Returns
    -The Muppets Christmas Carol
    -Resovoir Dogs
    -Wayne's World

Worth Seeing a Few Times: (aka: maybe get the DVD)
    -A League of Their Own
    -El Mariachi
    -Home Alone 2: Lost in New York
    -Lethal Weapon 3
    -My Cousin Vinny
    -Toys
    -Under Siege
    -Universal Soldier

Worth Seeing Once: (aka: rent it or get it in the $5 bin at Best Buy or Walmart)
    -A Few Good Men
    -Buffy The Vampire Slayer
    -Captain Ron
    -Patriot Games
    -Sidekicks
    -Sister Act

If It's on Cable: (aka: not completely awful, but no need to intentionally seek it out)
    -Basic Instinct
    -Beethoven
    -Death Becomes Her
    -Encino Man
    -Honey, I Blew Up the Kid
    -The Mighty Ducks

List of Films I Still (Probably) Want To See:
    -1492: Conquest of Paradise
    -Bad Lieutenant
    -Bob Roberts
    -Braindead (Dead Alive)
    -Bram Stoker's Dracula
    -Buffy The Vampire Slayer
    -Candyman
    -Chaplin
    -Cool World
    -The Crying Game
    -Damage
    -Deep Cover
    -Far and Away
    -Fifty/Fifty*
    -Forever Young
    -Freejack
    -Glenhgarry Glen Ross
    -Godzilla and Mothra: The Battle for Earth
    -The Hand That Rocks the Cradle
    -Hard Boiled
    -Hoffa
    -Into the Sun
    -Killer Image
    -Knight Moves
    -Kuffs
    -The Last of the Mohicans
    -The Lawnmower Man
    -Lethal Weapon 3
    -Light Sleeper
    -Live Wire
    -Lorenzo's Oil
    -A Midnight Clear
    -Mac
    -Malcolm X
    -The Mambo Kings
    -Medicine Man (rewatch)
    -Memoirs of an Invisible Man (rewatch)
    -Miracle Beach
    -Mistress
    -Nemesis*
    -(New) Dragon (Gate) Inn
    -Noises Off (rewatch)
    -Once Upon a Time in China II
    -One False Move
    -Orlando
    -Out on a Limb
    -Passenger 57 (rewatch)
    -Pet Semetary Two
    -The Player
    -The Public Eye (rewatch)
    -Raising Cain (the trailer actually kinda ends with a proto-BWOMM!)
    -Rapid Fire
    -A River Runs Through it
    -Scent of a Woman
    -School Ties
    -Shakes the Clown
    -Singles
    -Sneakers (rewatch)
    -Split Second
    -Stay Tuned (rewatch)
    -Twin Peaks: Fire Walk With Me
    -Trespass
    -Unforgiven
    -Unlawful Entry
    -Where the Day Takes You

Next: A year that would change things forever... 1993

Juliet316 likes this.
  6. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000

Notable releases:

A
    B
    C
    T2Q Comments:

-Addams Family Values: Though I still have a higher fondness for the first film, over time I've come to admit this was the superior film of the two. Alas, Raul...

-Another Stakeout: Saw this one on video or cable before ever seeing the first (heck, i don't even recall if I've seen the first...). Wouldn't trust my memory on how good it is, but it seemed pleasant at the time.

-Army of Darkness: My introduction to Ash and my favorite of the series (ED2 is good, but it doesn't feel right until the last act when Ash starts acting like the Ash I came to love in AOD). And the Director's Cut is quite fascinating- as is the Frankenstein edit that used to air on the Sci-Fi Channel which mixed and matched the better parts from both versions.

-Batman: Mask of the Phantasm: Arguably the best batman film ever made- definitely one of the top 3.

-Beverely Hillbillies: I can't recall if I saw the film before episodes of the show or not. I did watch a lot of Nick at Night at the time, so it's possible.

-Coneheads: The sub-eating effect (and its subsequent use in Subway commercials) is more memorable than the plot but the characters and shctick is still amusing.

-Cool Runnings: In the late 90's, I worked at Staples. In the breakroom we had a small TV and a VCR and we had 4 (eventually 5 when TPM came out) movies to watch on it: Batman Returns, The Crow: City of Angels, Black Mask... and Cool Runnings. An odd inclusion but it's a pretty decent comedy.

-The Crush: Admittedly, I watched it because of Alicia Silverstone because of her Aerosmith videos.

Films I have seen parts of or just vaguely recall seeing on cable: Amos & Andrew, Beethoven's 2nd, A Bronx Tale, Cliffhanger, Benny & Joon, Alive, Calendar Girl & Cop and a Half (interesting trivia: this one was originally to be a sequel to Kindergarten Cop).

-Acting on Impulse
    -The Age of Innocence
    -Alive
    -Arizona Dream
    -Benny & Joon
    -Boiling Point
    -Boxing Helena
    -A Bronx Tale
    -Carlito's Way
    -Cliffhanger
    -Cronos

Overall Trends:

In looking these titles over, I'm noticing a lot of films getting, or barely trimming down to, an NC-17 rating, This is still relatively early on in the rating's existence so it wasn't the seal of doom plague it has become today, though obviously it still wasn't seen as something to be embraced without a fight with the ratings board.

No doubt Coneheads was encouraged by Wayne's World's success. Depp seems pretty busy this year and both Pacino and De Niro are having notable entries once again.Also, though the trend never went away and might have always been there in the background, one can't help but think Tv show adapattions like the Beverely Hill billies may have found momentum from the Addams Family films as well.

Sith_Sensei__Prime likes this.
  7. Obi Anne

Obi Anne Celebration Mistress of Ceremonies star 8 Staff Member Manager

Nov 4, 1998
    The only ones I've seen are:

The ballad of Little Jo: I was too young to really understand this. It made an impression on me definitely, but I still thought it was pretty boring. I think that I would definitely like to see it again, with more mature eyes.

Cool Runnings: I'd say this is the perfect Disney family film. It's a solid feel good comedy with a happy ending. I still catch it when it's on TV.

8. Jabbadabbado

Jabbadabbado Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 19, 1999
    Alive is a gem of a survival story. Tasteful given the subject matter, no pun intended. Boxing Helena got a lot of publicity at the time for not being tasteful, and is also terrible. Age of Innocence was a big deal when it came out but to me seems highly overrated. Cronos is another great little film.

9. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Helena seems both bizarre and divisive- enough to add it to my list as a curiosity even if it ends up being bad.

10. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Clearly at this rate I'll be well into the next decade before I finish the 90's ;)

Notable releases:
    D
    • The Dark Half, starring Timothy Hutton and Amy Madigan
    • Dave, starring Kevin Kline, Sigourney Weaver, Frank Langella, Ving Rhames, Charles Grodin
    • Dazed and Confused, starring Matthew McConaughey, Ben Affleck, Parker Posey, Milla Jovovich
    • Deadfall, starring Michael Biehn and Nicolas Cage
    • Demolition Man, starring Sylvester Stallone, Wesley Snipes, Sandra Bullock
    • Dennis the Menace, starring Walter Matthau and Mason Gamble
    • Digger
    • Dragon: The Bruce Lee Story, starring Jason Scott Lee and Lauren Holly

E-F
    • Falling Down, directed by Joel Schumacher, starring Michael Douglas, Robert Duvall, Barbara Hershey, Rachel Ticotin, Frederic Forrest, Tuesday Weld
    • A Far Off Place, starring Reese Witherspoon
    • Fatal Instinct, directed by Carl Reiner, starring Armand Assante, Sherilyn Fenn, Sean Young, Kate Nelligan
    • Fearless, starring Jeff Bridges, Isabella Rossellini, Rosie Perez
    • Fire on the Amazon, starring Sandra Bullock
    • Fire in the Sky, starring Robert Patrick and D. B. Sweeney
    • The Firm, directed by Sydney Pollack, starring Tom Cruise, Gene Hackman, Jeanne Tripplehorn, Holly Hunter, Wilford Brimley, David Strathairn, Ed Harris
    • Flesh and Bone, directed by Steve Kloves, starring Meg Ryan, Dennis Quaid, James Caan, Gwyneth Paltrow
    • For Love or Money, directed by Barry Sonnenfeld, starring Michael J. Fox, Gabrielle Anwar, Anthony Higgins
    • A Foreign Field, starring Alec Guinness and Leo McKern - (U.K.)
    • Free Willy, directed by Simon Wincer, starring Jason James Richter, Michael Madsen, Michael Ironside, Lori Petty
    • The Fugitive, directed by Andrew Davis, starring Harrison Ford, Tommy Lee Jones, Joe Pantoliano, Jeroen Krabbé, Sela Ward, Julianne Moore

G
    • Geronimo: An American Legend, starring Wes Studi, Gene Hackman, Robert Duvall, Jason Patric
    • Gettysburg, starring Tom Berenger, Jeff Daniels, Martin Sheen
    • Ghost in the Machine, starring Karen Allen
    • Godzilla vs. Mechagodzilla II (Gojira tai Mekagojira) - (Japan)
    • The Good Son, starring Macaulay Culkin and Elijah Wood
    • Gross Misconduct, starring Naomi Watts and Jimmy Smits
    • Groundhog Day, directed by Harold Ramis, starring Bill Murray and Andie MacDowell
    • Grumpy Old Men, starring Jack Lemmon, Walter Matthau, Burgess Meredith, Daryl Hannah, Kevin Pollak, Ann-Margret
    • Guilty as Sin, directed by Sidney Lumet, starring Rebecca De Mornay, Don Johnson, Jack Warden, Stephen Lang

T2Q Comments:

-Dave: Just very enjoyable. Though perhaps its then-humorous "run things like a business" idea has proven to be a bit naive in the wake of Trump (though I'm sure this is what he wants to think he's doing, at least partially). Still, things like the "once caught a fish" robot arms gag have stuck around. Plus Frank Langella.

-Demolition Man: "Now all restaurants are Taco Bell." Fun cast all around (Bullock, Stallone, Snipes, Leary, etc) and a pretty decent semi-self-aware action flick. Also an essential Stallone flick.

-Dennis the Menace: It's weird that this came out before Grumpy old Men but I think it took on more awareness on video after GOM hit big.

-Dragon: The Bruce Lee Story: I've seen this a couple times over the years but I don't recall much- but that's more the distance of time than any flaw of the film itself.

-Falling Down: "You forgot the briefcase!!" Watching this on video circa-Batman & Robin it felt odd to really enjoy a Joel Schumacher film.

-Fire in the Sky: Pretty decent-to-above average alien abuction film, though it doesn't knock it out of the park. However, the abduction sequence is really good. Also includes this nightmare fuel:

[​IMG]

A well-timed released for me at that age, as X-Files was just hitting around this time and i was deep into alien abduction books and other monster sources. And that circles back around as it was Robert Patrick's performance in this film that got him cast as the lead in the later X-Files seasons.

-The Firm: I know I saw this but it kinda kicked off the John Grisham mini craze (The Pelican Brief hit later this same year).

-For Love or Money: An enjoyable rom-com with Michael J. Fox, though with some predictable elements (dirtbag rich boyfriend to the girl the protagonist is in love with, etc).

-Free Willy: I remember the whale jump (which has been parodied so many times) and the Michael Jackson song.

-The Fugitive: Just a really good thriller. Great cast, memorable lines, a classic.

-Gettysburg: Never really watched this but notable for being shot as a miniseries for TNT before being repurposed as a theatrical release (one of the longest films released by a Hollywood studio at 4 hours, 14 minutes; a 15 kin-longer director's cut later cam out on home video).

-The Good Son: Macaulay Culkin trying to not be the kid from Home Alone, take 2. Hi, Frodo!

-Groundhog Day: Another classic. I mean, what can you say about this film that hasn't been said. It redefined the titular term to its current useage.

-Grumpy Old Men: Walter and Lemon's chemistry carry a pretty decent comedy.

-Dazed and Confused
    -Fearless
    -Ghost in the Machine (a bad cyberpunk-meets-Final Destination film? yes please! [face_laugh])

Overall Trends:

-There are a lot of hits in this grouping- a surprising amount, really. As I mentioned earlier, we'll get a lot of Grisham films in the next few years, Grumpy Old Men gives both actors a renewed presence for the next few years, The Fugutive continues Ford's early 90's streak of hits while Demolition Man is kinda peak 90's Stallone.

Juliet316 likes this.