main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph Film Releases & Trends of a Decade Retrospective: The Nineties A-Z. Now Disc: 1993 D-G

Discussion in 'Community' started by The2ndQuest , Apr 15, 2009.

1. Sith_Sensei__Prime

Sith_Sensei__Prime Chosen One star 6

May 22, 2000
    Frality is definitely my favorite movie from the list above. I love the big twist, which kind of reminded me of Primal Fear with Richard Gere and Ed Norton. It's been awhile since I seen the movie, but I recall having sympathy for the character early on in the film, and shock and somewhat upset at film's end. Good movie.

2. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    May & June 2001

Notable releases: (listed in release order)

May:
    -The Mummy Returns
    -A Knight's Tale
    -Shrek
    -Pearl Harbor

June:
    -The Animal
    -Cats & Dogs
    -Moulin Rouge!
    -What's the Worst That Could Happen?
    -Evolution
    -Swordfish
    -Atlantis: The Lost Empire
    -Lara Croft: Tomb Raider
    -Dr Doolittle 2
    -The Fast and the Furious
    -AI: Artificial Intelligence
    -Baby Boy
    -Crazy/Beautiful

T2Q Comments:

-The Mummy Returns: I know not everyone shares this opinion, but I've always felt that this was a clear case of a sequel outclassing it's original in just every way.

The campy tone that they had a horrendous time trying to balance properly in the first film? Nailed.

The annoyingly useless sidekick brother-in-law character? Actually somewhat useful and funny.

The uselessly awful and dumb pilot character that had to literally fade into the scenery because he was so pointless? Replaced with an amusing pilot character that actually does something to help the characters.

Evy being a clumsy object? Replaced with Evy given a backstory relevant to the mythology and some sweet action scenes.

Plus they threw in awesome pygmy mummies and a score that was thirty billion times more memorable and amazing to just amp the whole franchise up to new levels. Even the Scorpion King prologue was pretty epic and awesome. The only thing really sucked was the CGI Scorpion King at the end and the cliched resurrection of Evy.

-A Knight's Tale: I'm still surprised this concept was ever turned into a film. "Let's base this on a story in Canterbury Tales, but play it as a comedy/musical where medievl characetrs sing and dance to modern songs from the 70's, 80's and 90's! The lead will be played by a teen comedy actor and the bad guy will be played by that guy from Dark City! It'll be awesome!".

And you know what? It kinda is. I really liked this one. The actor who plays Chauncer is also awesome in the role (he also voices JARVIS in Iron Man). Before he did Dark Knight, this was probably the role Heath was best known for.

-Shrek: A surprise smash, and though I think Shrek 2 remains the strongest of the series, this had a good start. John Lithgow as Lord Farquad was great.

-Pearl Harbor: Crappy movie, but spectacular action sequences and visuals. I think it suffered from trying to fit in too many parts of the war- Battle of Britain, Pearl Harbor and the china thing, etc. I also give it's second trailer (in it's theatrical version, not the version that was posted online with different music for whatever reason) tremendous credit for being one of the few theatrical experiences that was so emotionally overwhelming that it moved me to tears.

-The Animal: This came out this long ago? It's seems like only yesterday that people were mocking the cliche of Rob Schneider movie concepts this stood as an example to ("Rob Schneider is- The Stapler!"). Never saw it, but never cared to.

-Cats & Dogs: Amusing family film.

-Moulin Rouge!: Another strange, strange film with music set out of time, but visually spectacular. The musical decision works in it's favor, as I usually don't like musicals much since their enjoyment is as dependent on the quality of the songs as it is the plot and acting (thus why I feel, say, Chicago loses steam halfway through).

-Evolution: This almost could have been the next Ghostbusters, but it falls short of the mark. It's still very funny with a great sense of quirkiness to it. I used to use that 3-eyed smily face as an AIM icon for a long time, as I recall. Trailers were very fun too.

-Swordfish: Not a top=notch action/thriller but I think it gets a bad rap. The ball-bearing bullet-time explosion is still spectacular, and both Hugh Jackman and Travolta are good in it. Also has a couple other memorable scenes in it.

-Atlantis: The Lost Empire: One of Disney's better modern efforts, though some of the ending when the inevitable villain betrayal occurs hurts it (in many ways, it's not that dissimilar from Titan A.E., both attempts at mature animated action features whose plot are harmed but late game b

3. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000
    The only of these I saw in theatres were Shrek, The Mummy Returns, and AI. I could never watch Shrek again. I tried. It's just not that funny. It's a very predictable and puerile kind of comedy. Nothing at all like the brilliant cleverness and heart of Monsters Inc, which somehow lost to Shrek for Best Animated Film?! I will never, ever as long as I live understand the love for the Shrek films.

I should watch the Mummy films again, because I find them quite fun. And you're right, this one's better than the first. I am fond of some camp where it can be had, especially in this genre (see the Librarian film series on TNT).

AI, I love. I have never really been able to figure out what people didn't like about it, save that tacked on ending. If you turn the TV off when David is under water wishing to the Blue Fairy, IMHO it's a perfect film. And I don't hate the ending as much as some anyway, but I do feel it was quite perfect without it. All I hear people say against this film is that it's "weird" and "creepy". I felt the sci-fi, sociology, and fairy tale combination turned out brilliantly. It is a little creepy, but it's supposed to be.

I avoided Moulin Rouge! in theatres and for a while afterward due to the fact that its main audience seemed to be screaming girls. When I did see it, I realized this film is far too good for them. A masterpiece in the true sense of the word. Definitely one of my top 10 of all time. This film makes right all the things I dislike about most old musicals. Not just in its modernity, but in not presenting things like they were on stage. In realising this is *film*. And in having realistic characters with real souls. It's one I absolutely hope to see at some kind of theatre showing, because I bet it was even more amazing then.

-sj loves kevin spacey

4. Jan_Wahlor

Jan_Wahlor Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 29, 2009
    Pearl Harbor

[face_talk_hand][face_talk_hand]

Worst movie ever.

5. Obi Anne

Obi Anne Celebration Mistress of Ceremonies star 8 Staff Member Manager

Nov 4, 1998
    Here's my comments on the films that I've seen, together with when it came to cinemas here.

May:
    -A Knight's Tale - it came in the summer. This I think is one of these films where you can't just place it i a trend, it was just a creation of its own. It hasn't even spawned any imitation, that I know of, which shows how unique it was.

-Shrek - (September)I don't think anyone can deny how successful Shrek has been. It was the first "grown-up" animated feature that I saw, a big change from the Disney film I was used to.

-Pearl Harbor - (summer) I remember liking this film when I first saw it, I think I was dazzled by the battle scenes, and the fact that the Dolittle raid was included.

June:
    -Moulin Rouge! - (September/October) This was the first time, after TPM, that I had heard about a film and waited for it for several months. I love it, even if the plot isn't perfect.

-Evolution - (summer) saw it on DVD years later. It was decent nothing more or less.
    -Atlantis: The Lost Empire - (November) I thought that the basis for the story was silly so I didn't see it until my nephew got it on DVD a couple of years ago. I was definitely pleasantly surprised, and think this is one of the few good Disney animations of the last 10 years.
    -AI: Artificial Intelligence - saw it on DVD, just can't understand it all, I just think it's boring.

When talking about trends there are as was said a couple of franchise builders here, Shrek, Fast and the Furious. It's a bit strange that A Knight's tale didn't spawn anything, on the other hand I think the interest in medieval films would be totally drowned in epic storytelling after LOTR. Moulin Rouge! was definitely a trendsetter, but the trend was pretty shortlived sinced it wasn't followed by any particularly good films, every person I've heard talking about Chicago always says that it got the Oscars that MR should have had.

6. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000
    I absolutely think Chicago got an Oscar boost from MR, but I still think Chicago is a very good film. And I couldn't think of another film in its year that deserved Best Picture more. It's just that MR was better.

-sj loves kevin spacey

7. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    That's pretty much what I thought to a degree- in theaters I wasn't sure how much I was really digging the movie, but when they started to pull back from him wishing to the fairy, I was like "Oh, if they end it here, that's great enough to maybe justify the rest of the film", but alas, the movie kept going and going...

Though, in it's defense, the endings weren't "tacked on"- AFAIK it was always meant to end with the other two endings. They just feel out of place.

I think the premise had a solid hook- I mean, they basically ripped off Stargate.

It also had one the coolest, most un-Disney-like teaser trailers ever, and even a couple of the other trailers were creepy-cool.

8. darth_frared

darth_frared Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 24, 2005
    that is a splendid teaser! all i seem to remember from the screening was the ice age teaser tho. i loved scrat.

didn't see many of the films in the list, apart from moulin rouge, which i adore. and you are making me a bit itchy to see a knight's tail actually :D

9. Katana_Geldar

Katana_Geldar Jedi Grand Master star 8

Mar 3, 2003
    Dreamworks' 3D animation is like Pixar's red-haired stepchild. The only time IMHO they beat Pixar was with Antz, and that year Pixar had a similar film "A Bug's Life" which would have been good had their not been the inevitable comparison. Dreamworks lacks a heart, whereas you find one in pretty much every Pixar film.

I thought Shrek was funny and a lot of fun to watch, but there's more to making a movie than to have a series of pop culture references. I'd be interested to see a pop up video of this film.

Moulin Rogue I didn't see until afterwards, and it's HUGE in a Baz Lurhman way. Ewan is so good in it, particularly when he sings "The sound of music".

"He's the one Toulouse is shaking a hanky at!"

The Mummy Returns was good, but I didn't get the movie projector on Alex's wrist.

10. Mar17swgirl

Mar17swgirl Chosen One star 7

Dec 26, 2000
    Um, shouldn't someone change the thread title so it would say "Noughties" properly? The way it is sort of implies there's something dirty in this thread... :p

11. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    "Naughties" is the correct spelling. "Aughties" is a similar, alternative name too.

12. Sith_Sensei__Prime

May 22, 2000

-The Mummy Returns: Evy's getting all sex-kitten like in the film was a definite thumbs up. And the girlfight was way better than the Scorpion King brawl.

-A Knight's Tale: Cool to see the lead singer of Cold Play get a movie rolls :p . Actually, a nice film with get pop music, which is a better idea than turning this into some type of musical. Nice heart felt touches with "William's" father storyline.

-Shrek: One of Mike Myer's better character and probably Eddie Murphy's best performance since the 80's. It's a cute film that has wonderful twists on the classic fairy tales. Although I think I've only watched this movie once, which is totally enough.

-Pearl Harbor: I remember great anticipation for this movie. The premiere of the film was held on an aircraft carrier in Pearl Harbor. However, the veterans of the actual event were put off by the film. I personally didn't think it was a disaster all together. Just the bizarre love triangle. If the love story was just between Ben Affleck and Kate Beckinsale, it would have played alot better.

-Evolution: Lame. I forgot this movie existed.

-Swordfish: I love the monologue by John Travolta in the beginning of the film, but it falls flat after that, except of Halle Berry's bare chesties.

-Lara Croft: Tomb Raider: Hoping to be closer to Indiana Jones, but fell way short of that. I remember that Roger Ebert loving the film and Ropoer sayin it was because of the fanfare of Jolie. I thought the movie was okay at best, but I love films with sexy female action heroes.

-AI: Artificial Intelligence: Ya know, the A.I. was more endearing than the actual son. I remember actually feeling sympathy for the android, David. I thought it was interesting to have the Jude Law character, a male Gigalow, enter the movie as it would have be easy to throw-in a female prostitute as sort of a mother figure for David. I thought it was an interesting movie that further explores possiblility of A.I. being sentient forms of life and of course a modern twist on Pinacchio. Probably the best film on that I've listed.

13. Rogue1-and-a-half

Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 2, 2000
    A.I. was pretty brilliant; it's flawed, but a masterpiece, none the less. Moulin Rouge is my favorite musical.

14. Mar17swgirl

Mar17swgirl Chosen One star 7

Dec 26, 2000
    Ah. My mistake, sorry. You learn something new every day... :)

15. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    July & August 2001

Notable releases: (listed in release order)

July:
    -Kiss of the Dragon
    -Scary Movie 2
    -Final Fantasy: The Spirits Within
    -Legally Blonde
    -The Score
    -America's Sweethearts
    -Jurassic Park III
    -Planet of the Apes

August:
    -Original Sin
    -The Princess Diaries
    -American Pie 2
    -Osmosis Jones
    -The Others
    -American Outlaws
    -Captain Corelli's Mandolin
    -Rat Race
    -Bubble Boy
    -Ghosts of Mars
    -Jay & Silent Bob Strike Back
    -Summer Catch
    -Rush Hour 2
    -Jeepers Creepers
    -O

T2Q Comments:

Kiss of the Dragon: Been meaning to see this one since Jet Lit made it in response to fans wanting less wirework and CG fights.

Scary Movie 2: Possibly the best of the series, before it was tamed down for 3+

Final Fantasy: The Spirits Within: Good CG, but disappointing story.

Legally Blonde: Admittedly amusing.

The Score: Great cast, but never managed to see it.

Jurassic Park III: Dissapointing. Has it's moments. But the slapdash feeling of events reflects the movie actually being written on the set, particularly the cheesy ra-ra ending that was just so damn corny. Plane crash/attack is a great sequence, though.

Planet of the Apes: Great visuals, amazing makeup work, good cast, and a general vision that made the idea of POTA appealing. Sadly the overall execution and need to try and out-twist the original's twist ending (can we blame M. Night for that?) just flattened the whole movie. I recall it being too long as well.

Original Sin: This was ok. Nothing to rave about but Banderas is always awesome and any movie where Jolie gets naked can't be bad.

American Pie 2: I actually think this was my favorite of the series. The first didn't blow me away like most people, and though the third was better than the first, I still liked the second better.

The Others: I recall this being decent too but it's been awhile.

Rat Race: fun manic comedy, great cast

Bubble Boy: starring future academy award winning actor, Jake Gyllenhaal.

Ghosts of Mars: A big bomb from Carpenter

Jay & Silent Bob Strike Back: Intended to be the true conclusion to the Jersey series (thus the number of cameos) by being fully comedic instead of the dramedy of Chasing Amy and Dogma, Smith would eventually "really" end the "comedy" series with the-admittedly superior Clerks 2. But while Clerks 2 endcaps specific characters, Jay & Silent Bob I think is a fitting conclusion to the crazy universe. And then there's Mark Hamill's "Don't **** with the Jedi Master, son."

Rush Hour 2: Another sequel that, IMO, outdoes the original. It reverses the fish out of water story ala Toy Story 2, but does it very well.

-Jeepers Creepers: I know Rogue 1.5 disagrees with me greatly on this film, but suffice it to say, I really loathed this film and it was painful to watch. It had some initially good horror moments like the cave and the "Duel"-inspired truck, but the rest of the movie, as far as I recall, is basically...well, you know how every horror movie has that moment or two where the characters do something completely stupid that no actual person would logically do in that situation? (ie: "Let's watch the bad guy regenerate and wait for him to start coming after us again before we try to flee, instead of fleeing as soon as we see him beginning to regenerate". Well, the majority of Jeepers Creepers is filled with those stupid "WTH are you thinking?!" moments constantly. I was squirming in my seat at how awful it was.

Overall Trends:

Kiss of the Dragons relatively high profile release seems to be a continuation of the Romeo Must Die trend. Final Fantasy bombed so hard it shut down the animation studio. Legally Blonde gave Reese Witherspoon serious box office pull and influence. Burton's rep was probably hurt somewhat by this as well. Mostly good success with sequels, minus JP3.

16. Champion of the Force

Champion of the Force Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 27, 1999
    Actually, the original novel itself had a twist ending which the remake sticks to fairly closely (in both the novel and the remake the action takes place on another planet - the hero in the end gets off and gets back to Earth but finds it has also been taken over by apes). The Heston film is really the odd one out - the ending was changed to the now famous twist with the Statue of Liberty and the revelation he was on Earth all along. The original author apparently hated this twist and preferred his original one.

I haven't seen many of the films on this list, but what few I have:

Final Fantasy: The Spirits Within - nice visuals for the time, blah story. And Ebert was right - the main guy does look an awful lot like Ben Affleck.

Legally Blonde - pretty much launched Reece Witherspoon into a headlining star. Film itself on its own merits was good, harmless fun.

Planet of the Apes - not bad but I prefer the Heston version.

The Princess Diaries - launched Anne Hathaway to future stardom.

American Pie 2 - not as good as the original, but some laughs here.

The Others - Nicole Kidman film that more or less copies the twist of The Sixth Sense. Still enjoyable.

17. Obi Anne

Obi Anne Celebration Mistress of Ceremonies star 8 Staff Member Manager

Nov 4, 1998
    I don't think I saw any of these films on the screen, just as DVDs later on.

18. Darth_Omega

Darth_Omega Force Ghost star 6

May 19, 2002
    Spirited Away got released in July 2001. :p
    The correct spelling is ado not adieu which means goodbye in French. :p

19. Katana_Geldar

Katana_Geldar Jedi Grand Master star 8

Mar 3, 2003
    Good thing that's not Latin, Quest, or you'd be covered in Jello. ;)

I saw the Princess Diaries at the cinema when it was out, not bad but really a teen movie. What was good to watch were Julie Andrews and Hector Elizondo.

I've seen Osmosis Jones and it's surprisingly good. It's very popular with med students and very funny. Shatner is VERY funny as the Quimby-like mayor of Frank's body and great to see how they stereotype the human body rather like a cop movie. Osmosis Jones is a white blood cell and his partner Drix is a cold pill, Jones' girlfriend is a neuron and the the antagonist is a virus. Apparently pimples are hives of scum and villany in your body, your bladder is a bust station and your digestive track has buttons which are pressed to "regulate" the flow. One day I plan to show this film to kids in science, once I get ones who are old enough.

20. darth_frared

Jun 24, 2005
    the score = de niro, brando, norton?

it's pretty boring. cast isn't everything apparently.

can't say i have seen many of the other films, some of them maybe on dvd or something, memorable they weren't.

do you have anything to say to the accusation that this is a bit america-centric?

21. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    The US release was in Sept.

Since release dates vary by region, this type of chronological release progression requires there be one release order to go by (in this case, I'm using yearly release lists on wikipedia). If you refer to title selection, well, there's going to be less info on those for me to reference and, likely, fewer users here who have actually seen them.

Plus, as seen in the above posts, I should apparently stay away from things involving other languages :p

However, if there are any notable foreign language films that weren't widely release over here during whatever timeframe we're currently discussing, feel free to bring it up.

22. Sith_Sensei__Prime

May 22, 2000

23. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    It actually isn't- JP4 has been in the works since almost immediately after JP3 came out.

The one thing I really liked about Jay & Silent Bob was that it not only mostly adapted the "Chasing Dogma" comic but also tied in their cameo in Scream 3 (in that now we know why they were at a movie studio).

24. darth_frared

Jun 24, 2005
    i don't have specific titles that i want to reference. i forget when films were released etc... which is why this is a nice exercise anyway.

do a lot of british films get released in the US? i had a conversation last night about the naked dominance of american fare in european countries. even in britain, there are few genre films released every week. it's a bit sad, especially considering how rubbish some american films are. france seems to fare best with relatively many native releases.

25. MarcusP2

MarcusP2 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 10, 2004
    Kiss of the Dragon has some nice fight scenes, which is really all you expect out of a Jet Li movie.

I liked America's Sweethearts, mainly for Hank Azaria and Seth Green.

American Pie 2 is also my favourite.