main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph Film Releases & Trends of a Decade Retrospective: The Nineties A-Z. Now Disc: 1993 D-G

Discussion in 'Community' started by The2ndQuest , Apr 15, 2009.

1. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    September & October 2001

Notable releases: (listed in release order)

September:
    -The Musketeer
    -Rock Star
    -Soul Survivors
    -The Glass House
    -Hardball
    -Don't Say A Word
    -Hearts in Atlantis
    -Zoolander

October:
    -Joyride
    -Serendipity
    -Training Day
    -Bandits
    -Corky Romano
    -Iron Monkey
    -Knockaround Guys
    -From Hell
    -The Last Castle
    -Riding in Cars With Boys
    -K-PAX
    -Thirteen Ghosts

T2Q Comments:

-The Musketeer: Sort of a martial arts take on the story. It's not a complete success but I found it enjoyable.

-Hearts in Atlantis: Anthony Hopkins was good in this, but was my main reason for wathcing it to begin with. Decent drama, though not particularly noteworthy.

-Zoolander: I didn't love this as much as others did, but while it's not my favorite Stiller comedy, it's damn quirky enough to be really fun.

-Joyride: We spoke of Duel with Jeepers Creepers, well, here's a more directly inspired film of that concept. I really liked this one. It was surprisingly effective.

-Training Day: Very cool flick. Also made me track down the lyric-less version of "Rock Star" used in it's trailer ;)

-Iron Monkey: I saw this on video years after the fact. Liked it but I couldn't rave about it.

-Knockaround Guys: Another Vin Diesel flick that was lingering on the shelf until he became a huge star. Good cast and a pretty decent movie.

-From Hell: Coulda been good but ended up being a dull misfire.

-The Last Castle: This one I dug. It's a really good movie, even if Tony Soprano is made out to be too much of a villain.

-K-PAX: Kevin Spacey was fun here. It wasn't quite as perfect overall as I would have liked but I had no regrets seeing it.

Overall Trends:

Keanu was probably following up The Replacements with Hardball. Vin Diesel's success is dragging out smaller films into bigger releases. Spacey is still riding high from American Beauty. Stiller is sill in an upswing of hits since "Mary". Gandolfini is first making a sizeable theatrical appearance in the wake of his success with The Sopranos.

And September wasn't a very good month. Quite a few films from this point on would be delayed due to their subject matter or content (the same subject material having elements that would be avoided for years in other films).

2. Katana_Geldar

Katana_Geldar Jedi Grand Master star 8

Mar 3, 2003
    Bandits I saw the start of and though it was amusing.

But I really liked From Hell, and had no idea about the graphic novel it was based on.

3. Sith_Sensei__Prime

Sith_Sensei__Prime Chosen One star 6

May 22, 2000
    Serendipity - I love this film. John Cusack and Kate Beckinsale are wonderful in their roles. It's the type of romantic comedy where you actually want to see their happily ever after story. Being a fan of SciFi, I appreciated the "destiny" element of the movie, in that if two people are meant to be together than the universe will post signs and arrange for it to happen. Cute story.

4. Rogue1-and-a-half

Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 2, 2000
    Joy Ride was a great, great little thriller. Steve Zahn is epic in the movie and Paul Walker is actually pretty brilliant himself. And of course Ted Levine is brilliant in voice over. I really, really dug the movie.

5. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    November & December 2001

November:
    -The Affair of the Necklace
    -Domestic Disturbance
    -Monsters, Inc
    -The One
    -Heist
    -Life as a House
    -Shallow Hal
    -Harry Potter & The Sorcerer's Stone
    -Black Knight
    -Out Cold
    -Spy Game
    -Behind Enemy Lines

December:
    -Ocean's Eleven
    -Not Another Teen Movie
    -The Royal Tenenbaums
    -Vanilla Sky
    -In the Bedroom
    -Jimmy neutron: Boy Genius
    -Joe Somebody
    -The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring
    -The Majestic
    -Ali
    -Kate & Leopold

T2Q Comments:

-Monsters, Inc: One of Pixar's better and more inventive efforts. The factory sequence with the doors is incredible.

-The One: This could have been Jet Li's best American film, but it sadly falls short of the mark, despite Jason Statham's presence. It does have a cool Highlander-esque element to it, though, and a great ending.

-Life as a House: Proof that Hayden can act, though not necessarily when playing Anakin ;) Movie overall isn't bad.

-Harry Potter & The Sorcerer's Stone: Never read the books, but this one was so-so. The series has grown much better over time, but this first movie in particular setup two things that bothered me: 1) the evil slapstick foster family antics (which feel like they belong is an awful Disney movie) and 2) how most of the "magical" moments in the film feel like we're supposed to assume they are magical, even though they never truly earn that feeling like truly magical films have done in the past.

-Black Knight: I just remember the trailer. "Yer daughhhters a freeeeak..."

-Spy Game: I can't honestly recall if I actually saw this one or not.

-Behind Enemy Lines: Quite enjoyable, though it's ending tries to make it out to be much more serious than it should have been taken- their attempt to give it a "real world gravity" fails due to the fact that the events and characters are entirely fictional.

-Ocean's Eleven: Ignoring the sequels, this was a fun caper flick- despite Julia Roberts' presence.

-Not Another Teen Movie: While not a classic spoof, this is much better than subsequent spoof attempts ("Meet the Spartans", etc) since it's focused primarily on a single genre still ala Scary Movie- and on one that deserves being spoofed (those awful "She's All That" cliched type flicks in particular). The naked foreign exchange student and the American beauty kid whose always followed around by a floating plastic bag did crack me up, though.

-The Royal Tenenbaums: I liked this one, better than Rushmoore. Bill Murray is great in it. "I left a suicide note." "Was it dark?" "Of course it was dark- it was a suicide note."

-Vanilla Sky: I liked what they tried to do here, and the film has some great visuals and moments, but it ends up just being too long and dull. Cruise is excellent though.

-In the Bedroom: Really good drama, great cast. Definitely worth seeing.

-Jimmy Neutron: Boy Genius: I never saw this and I never will, but I have to comment on how god-awful, even for kids fare, this movie looked in every single trailer. Ho-lee craaap.

-The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring: Having never read the books, I was nevertheless looking forward to the film to see what the hype was about and, also, from it's great trailers (the teaser, in particular, where Mr Movie Voice is almost singing "One ring to rule them all- one ring to find them, one ring to bring them all and in the darkness, bind them." was stuck in my head for a very long time, and the gothic midnight track of the full trailer was damn catchy and subsequently over-used in many other trailers). The film itself was good, though it didn't make me a die-hard fan or crazily await the next film (though Two Towers would win me over). The extended edition did help it quite a bit, though.

-The Majestic: Never got to see this one, but always wanted to- I really enjoy Jim Carrey in dramatic roles like this and Truman Show.

-Kate & Leopold: Pretty decent rom-com with a time travel angle.

Overall Trends:

Pizar continues to excel, Ocean's 11 would spawn a couple sequels, Th

6. Rogue1-and-a-half

Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 2, 2000
    Some really great ones in there. Spy Game was a way underrated thriller, In the Bedroom was brilliant, Fellowship was awesome, of course, and Monsters Inc was also extremely good.

7. Champion of the Force

Champion of the Force Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 27, 1999
    Some good films there. Let's see:

Monsters, Inc - another fantastic Pixar film. unfortunately I think some of it's thunder got stolen by a green ogre that was released the same year.

The One - an OK action film starring Jet Li. Interesting concept but nothing outstanding, just OK.

Life as a House - typical cliche family drama concerning a guy who's trying to finish building a house (no prizes for guessing WHY he needs to finish it - he's got CANCER of course. Good cast though - Kevin Kline is great in the leading role as the father and Hayden does a good turn as the problem son he's trying to reach out to. Mary Steenburgen also looks amazingly hot ;).

Shallow Hal - not a smash hit or anything but got Jack Black started on the road to being a headlining star.

Harry Potter & The Sorcerer's Stone - hard to believe it's $90M opening weekend was a record at the time (it's now $158M courtesy of The Dark Knight). The film does have its moments (like the first appearance of Hogwarts) but hasn't aged really well - the later films are better.

Black Knight - Martin Laurence headliner following his success with Big Momma's House. Some amusing moments.

Ocean's Eleven - my comments at the time of it's release were along the lines of 'slickly made, but boring'. I've seen it a few times since then and I haven't changed my mind on it. It's a well put together films with a whole lot of good stars but it's never grabbed me. Still it is better than it's sequels.

Not Another Teen Movie - I liked Scary Movie better. Haven't seen it in years but from memory some of the jokes here seemed to try too hard or go on way too long.

The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring - THE film of year IMHO. It's probably my favourite of the trilogy and the Extended Edition helps flesh it out a bit more to make it even better.

The Majestic - I was really looking forward to this: a serious Jim Carrey film directed by Frank Darabont. Unfortunately the film bored me to tears and the way everything was resolved in the end was just too sugary sweet.

Ali - I actually haven't seen this, but I think this may have been Will Smith's first bomb?

Kate & Leopold - for the 2nd time in her career Meg Ryan co-stars with an Australian actor right after he's had a big hit (first in Proof of Life with Russell Crowe after Gladiator; here it's Hugh Jackman after X-Men). Unfortunately the film continued Ryan's sub-par boxoffice performance that she was experiencing in the early 00s (after her phenomenal 90s run) and would be the last romantic comedy she would star in for a few years.

8. Chancellor_Ewok

Chancellor_Ewok Chosen One star 7

Nov 8, 2004
    I feel compelled to comment on how eriely perfect the timing was for these two movies. They both came out in the dark days after 9/11, with just enough space between themselves and the attacks to make it acceptable for peopel to go to a fanasty movie. Yet, even while they provided a needed esacpe in an uncertain time, they also seemed to say that things are going to get better, because we are going to fight and we're going to win. Of course things didn't turn out quite that way in real life, but that was the vibe that I got at the time, and that is what has stuck with me eight years later. I think if 2001 had been just another year, Harry Potter would been just another kiddy movie and Fellowship of the Ring would have been dismissed as just another fanboy film.

9. Kyptastic

Kyptastic VIP star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 10, 2005
    Wow, I can't believe it's been almost 8 years since Fellowship came out. I remember going to a New Years Eve showing, being engrossed for 3 hours, then being shocked that it wasn't over!. Certainly kept my interest up for the next couple of years, even if I did read the books a found out what happened, which I sort of regretted, especially since the Gandalf reveal in TTT would have been so much better going in unspoiled.

10. Champion of the Force

Champion of the Force Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 27, 1999
    Hmmm, good thesis but I don't really agree :). Harry Potter was already a publishing phenomenon and the film was being promoted to heck and back throughout most of that year - I myself ending up reading the books in mid-2001 after reading an article about the upcoming film and wanting to see what the fuss was about, so I think it was already destined to be a big film (and not just 'kiddy' either).

As for FOTR, I also lean the same way - the first teaser trailers had been well received and I think it was always going to be huge (Confession: I had been following the films production on sites such as TheOneRing.Net etc since 1999 so maybe it's my inner fanboy talking here :p).

11. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    That would have been almost impossible, i think- the whole "I return you now, at the turn of ht etide" or "how can this be? you fell!" bit was in almost every trailer and TV spot, right alongside "a new power is rising!", etc.

12. Obi Anne

Obi Anne Celebration Mistress of Ceremonies star 8 Staff Member Manager

Nov 4, 1998
    Monsters, Inc - I saw this in the autumn, so it might have been released around the same time in Ireland. Great film, haven't seen it since then though.

Shallow Hal - released around February/March. I hated it, in fact this is one of the few films that have made me feel sick, and the other girl I went with totally agreed on that.

Harry Potter & The Sorcerer's Stone - November. Good film, didn't mind seeing the rest of the films and what would happen with Harry. ( I didn't read the books until just a couple of months ago)

Spy Game - Februari. This is a truly brilliant film, I think I actually saw it twice, even though the second time was because me and my friends couldn't agree on anything else, and I agree on seeing it again. The second time I was really annoyed by all the shots of "east Berlin" missing several of the real significant buildings in the skyline, and not using east German cars.

Ocean's Eleven - Don't know when I saw this one, some time in the spring though. I really like it, even if it wasn't necessary to turn it into a trilogy.

Vanilla Sky - can't remember when I saw it, thought it was spring/summer but it was released in January here. Anyway, I couldn't understand the film and found it pretty boring.

The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring - Probably one of the first with a global release date. It is a good film. Viggo Mortensen won me over to be able to see the film several times, and the sequels. I'm not a LOTR-fan, can't stand the books, but I admit that this film is a masterpiece.

Kate & Leopold - I avoided for a very long time since I was tired of Meg Ryan, and I think time travel in films is a silly thing. When I finally saw it I realised that I really like the film, and Hugh Jackman is probably looking his best, at least until a certain scene in Australia.

13. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Time again for the year in review... all the way back to the Year 2000...and one.

(in the year 2000... (and one)..in the YEAR TWO-THOUSAAAAAAAAAAAAND...(...and one..))

What's worth seeing (once or several times?), what's worth keeping?

Skimming back through the lists I posted, IMO:

Worth Keeping: (aka: get the DVD!)
    -Atlantis: The Lost Empire
    -The Fast and the Furious
    -Jay & Silent Bob Strike Back (though opinions will vary)
    -Joyride
    -The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring
    -Monsters, Inc
    -Moulin Rouge!
    -The Mummy Returns (though some misguided people here may suggest the opposite in favor of the first movie ;) )
    -Rush Hour 2
    -Shrek

Worth Seeing a Few Times: (aka: maybe get the DVD)
    -A Knight's Tale
    -American Pie 2
    -Behind Enemy Lines
    -Black Hawk Down
    -Enemy at the Gates
    -Frailty (from what I've heard/read)
    -Hannibal
    -The Last Castle
    -Rat Race
    -The Royal Tenenbaums
    -Scary Movie 2
    -Spy Game (going by comments here)
    -Training Day

Worth Seeing Once: (aka: rent it or get it in the $5 bin at Best Buy or Walmart)
    -3000 Miles to Graceland
    -A Beautiful Mind
    -AI: Artificial Intelligence
    -Antitrust (though for me personally, I'd rank it as a "maybe get the DVD")
    -Harry Potter & The Sorcerer's Stone
    -In the Bedroom
    -Jurassic Park III
    -Kate & Leopold
    -Knockaround Guys
    -K-PAX
    -Legally Blonde
    -Not Another Teen Movie
    -Ocean's Eleven
    -The One
    -Spy Kids
    -Swordfish
    -Super Troopers
    -Zoolander

If It's on Cable: (aka: not completely awful, but no need to intentionally seek it out)
    -Blow
    -Evolution
    -Final Fantasy: The Spirits Within
    -Iron Monkey
    -Joe Dirt
    -Life as a House
    -The Musketeer
    -Original Sin
    -Pearl Harbor
    -Planet of the Apes
    -Say It Isn't So

14. Obi Anne

Nov 4, 1998
    So here's my judgement, bear in mind that I'm not really a big DVD-buyer, but I'll keep the categories anyway. I've also removed the films that are either too bad, or that I don't have any opinion on .

Worth Keeping: (aka: get the DVD!)
    -Jay & Silent Bob Strike Back (though opinions will vary)
    -Monsters, Inc
    -Moulin Rouge!
    -Shrek
    -A Knight's Tale
    -Ocean's Eleven

Worth Seeing a Few Times: (aka: maybe get the DVD)
    -Atlantis: The Lost Empire
    -The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring (I'm not a LOTR fan)
    -Enemy at the Gates
    -Rat Race
    -The Royal Tenenbaums
    -Spy Game
    -A Beautiful Mind
    -Harry Potter & The Sorcerer's Stone (but only if you plan on getting the rest of the films)
    -Kate & Leopold

Worth Seeing Once: (aka: rent it or get it in the $5 bin at Best Buy or Walmart)
    -Training Day
    -Jurassic Park III
    -K-PAX
    -Legally Blonde

If It's on Cable: (aka: not completely awful, but no need to intentionally seek it out)
    -Zoolander
    -Evolution
    -Final Fantasy: The Spirits Within
    -Life as a House
    -The Musketeer
    -Pearl Harbor

15. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Also bear in mind that my list there doesn't represent every movie from the year- just the ones I've seen or could gather an impression of. You can skim back through the last page or so for the full lists from each monthly pairing to find movies I've not seen that you might want to add to your own list.

16. Obi Anne

Nov 4, 1998
    I know that wasn't all the films, but I was simply too lazy to dig through the whole list. I'll try to do it better for the years that are coming up.

17. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Not criticizing your list- just wanted to make sure mine wasn't being misleading. :)

18. MasterEric

MasterEric Jedi Knight star 1

Dec 3, 2007
    This is an awesome thread. I also echo some of the sentiments of others; I can't believe its been 8 years since some of these films were released. Since I'm coming in late I'll leave off giving my opinion on all the films and keep it to a few. Of the ones in the last group, I put Fellowship of the Ring and Sorcerer's Stone above the rest. Huge fan of both series of books, I was ambivalent about Fellowship when it was released (I was quite a purist) but loved Sorcerer's Stone. Within 6 months I had been completely won over to Fellowship, I now consider it the best of all the LOTR films. I still love Sorcerer's Stone. (my appreciation for each Harry Potter film has declined as they've come out, only the first two get unequivocal praise from me)

In relation to a few others there:

The Mummy Returns; I thought the first was great, but I like this one even more.

Shrek; I found it quite good, I've seen it numerous times since and still think its great.

A Knights Tale; When I had first heard the premise I thought it would not work at all, but I really enjoyed it.

Pearl Harbor; I actually liked it when it came out, not great, but solid. The only part that truly bothered me was the love triangle. That I cared for not at all. (I should probably prefix this by mentioning I actually liked Ben Affleck back when this was released)

Once again awesome thread The2ndQuest, looking forward to continuing installments.:)

19. somethingfamiliar

somethingfamiliar Jedi Knight star 5

Aug 20, 2003
    Ghost World is my pick of 2001.

20. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Thanks Eric- glad you're digging the thread :)

And I think for the next year in review, I'll include a complete reference list for folks to use.

21. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Rented Spy Game and Frailty this week- haven't had the chance to watch the latter yet but the former was a very solid movie. I was initially turned off by the way-cliche "last day before retirement" bit, but they actually worked it to be important to the plot and not just a cheap shortcut to empathize with Redford's character.

January & February 2002

January:
    -Impostor
    -Orange County
    -Snow Dogs
    -The Count of Monte Crisco
    -Kung Pow! Enter the Fist
    -The Mothman Prophecies
    -A Walk to Remember

February:
    -Birthday Girl
    -Slackers
    -Big Fat Liar
    -Collateral Damage
    -Rollerball
    -Crossroads
    -Hart's War
    -John Q
    -Return to Neverland
    -Super Troopers
    -Dragonfly
    -Queen of the Damned

T2Q Comments:

-Impostor: One of those "how long did they delay this movie cause trailers played forever" films. Apparently it was menat to be one of 3 segments in an anthology film but was the only one ever filmed before it fell apart, and was then expanded into a feature-length film (the other two were Asimov's The Last Question (to be filmed by Bryan Singer) and Mimic- a different script from the eventual feature film of the same name, though same origin). Never saw it, though

-Orange County: Had meant to see this but never did. Colin Hanks and Jack Black looked to make an amusing duo.

-Snow Dogs: It was at this point we realized Cuba Gooding Jr's Oscar was either a fluke, or he has the worst management in the history of an Oscar winner.

-The Count of Monte Crisco: I dug this quite a bit. Shelby and Jesus make for good rivals. Though I'll admit I've never seen any of the, apparently, nine other films based on this story, so I'm not comparing the adaptation of the material. But I love me a good revenge story. I get the impression it was trying to cash in on the same audience as The Mask of Zorro from 4 years prior.

-Kung Pow! Enter the Fist: A ridiculously stupid and hilarious mash of bluescreen footage and MST3K-as-done-by-Steve Oedekerk. Dumber than Thumb Wars, but I'll be damned if that pause-then-continue baby rolling bit at the start didn't kill me in doubled-over pain in theaters. Also, great, over the top, trailer music. Seems a sequel has been slowly coming together over the course of the decade.

-The Mothman Prophecies: I remember the poster and a vague sense of the true events it's based on.

-Slackers: Another comedy I wanted to see but didn;t get the chance. I don't have high expectations for it, but I think I'd like it.

-Big Fat Liar: Frankie Muniz cashing in on Malcolm in the Middle. Paul Giamatti seemingly (haven't seen the movie) still serving the mainly manic bad guy comedy role he became famous for as Pig Vomit in Private Parts.

-Collateral Damage: "No one can stop a killer- except the man who knows his face."

The last true "Arnold Movie" in the traditional sense (I don't really count T3 in that regard). It sort of caps off the last phase of Arnold's acting career, pre-Governator, that kicked off with End of Days, where he was trying to bring some more serious weight to his films on the acting side while still bringing the Arnie action and oneliners he was known for.

The film doesn't really work that well, but neither is it his worst film.

"What's the difference between you and I?" "The difference is- I'm just going to kill you."

This is also notable for being a really major release that was delayed due to 9/11 and the film's terrorist content. Originally scheduled for 10/5/01, it was pushed back to 2/8/02 and had a plane hijacking scene cut from it. It probably hurt the film- not just the Feb release being a poorer time than Oct for this type of film, but I recall it still feeling a bit too soon when it came out.

-Rollerball: Didn't see it, heard it was not as good as the original, which I also haven't seen.

-Crossroads: A Britney Spears movie. Moving on.

-Hart's War: I recall this being the point where I finally started to get bored with the notion of war movies coming out. I know this wasn't a top tier example of the genre, but ever

22. Rogue1-and-a-half

Nov 2, 2000
    Glad you liked Spy Game; I thought it had a brilliant frame story. The fact that the main character stays in one building for two days and still manages to pull everything off was just brilliant.

And Stephen Dillane got on my "actors to watch" list with his performance as the villain. Brilliant.

23. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    And to finish up the '01 comments- I watched Frailty tonight and it is a very good low budget psychological horror flick. I sorta expected part of the twist (hl=black]Adam[/hl]), but the rest was quite good (though I think the thing with Fennton's "trophies" wasn't well explained- i don't see that transition happening for the character as told- he could have easily been left the fall guy, er, demon without him becoming a serial killer after his years long struggle against a serial killer).

24. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    March & April 2002

March:
    -40 Days and 40 Nights
    -We Were Soldiers
    -All About the Benjamins
    -The Time Machine
    -Ice Age
    -Resident Evil
    -Showtime
    -Blade II
    -E.T.: Special Edition
    -Sorority Boys
    -Clockstoppers
    -Death to Smoochy
    -Panic Room
    -The Rookie

April:
    -Big Trouble
    -High Crimes
    -National Lampoon's Van Wilder
    -Changing Lanes
    -(Frailty hit wide release here- my bad)
    -The Sweetest Thing
    -Murder By Numbers
    -My Big Fat Greek Wedding
    -The Scorpion King
    -Jason X
    -Life or Something Like It

T2Q Comments:

-40 Days and 40 Nights: Josh Harnett goes through the hardships of avoiding sex for 1.25 months. I think I know why people hate Josh Harnett. ;)

-We Were Soldiers: Even though I talked about tiring of war films, I still found this one interesting and a pretty decent war movie.

-The Time Machine: A not entirely successful remake, though it's mainly the last portion of the film where it falls apart, IMO. The early portions are quite good, though.

-Ice Age: Holy crap on a stick! Has it been 7+ years since this came out? Sheesh... it seems like only yesterday we were greeted by those great Scrat shorts that evoked the greatness of classic Looney Tunes, and then met by a not-bad-but-not-great film featuring them. I haven't seen the sequels yet but this was obviously successful.

-Resident Evil: Some people will hate this, but for what it is (a B-movie inspired by Aliens) I rather liked it (except for the terrible Licker CGI). It may not be a great zombie movie or even a good adaptation of the RE games themselves, but it's fun.

-Blade II: Best of the series, IMO. Managed to keep things fresh and continued the rise of Marvel.

-E.T.: Special Edition: This was the first time I had seen the whole movie. I really didn't like it as a kid but was totally won over seeing it as an adult- the finale is a tour de force by Williams and by the end if you're not left with eyes full of tears you have no soul. The walkie talkie thing was dumb though.

-Clockstoppers: Fun concept kids movie directed by Jonathan Frakes. Not outright great but not he worst kids movie you could watch. Though, I admit a certain affinity for the concept that harkens back to an episode of Duck Tales (woohoo!). :D

-Death to Smoochy: Never saw this, but I have the feeling I'd love it.

-Panic Room: I usually dig Fincher's films a lot, and while this is by no means a terrible movie, it does feel like it's lacking and is his weaker work.

-The Rookie: Dennis Quaid surprised a lot of people with this movie, and I think the movie surprised a lot of people- afterall, how on earth could a G-rated live action Disney movie be anywhere close to good in this day and age?

-Big Trouble: A film that got mostly swept under the carpet due to 9/11 and the nuclear bomb plot thread in the film. Regardless, this movie was fantastic- one of my favorite comedies and the second best thing Tim Allen has done for film in live action. Rest of the cast is great too.

-National Lampoon's Van Wilder: Not a classic teen comedy but a middle of the road one that launched Ryan Reynold's greatness.

-Changing Lanes: Good thriller, with both Sam Jackson and Affleck doing a good job here.

-My Big Fat Greek Wedding: Never watched it all but obviously was a massive indie success

-The Scorpion King: I had hopes for this. The Rock has a good presence and I felt The Mummy Returns was the best of that series. Sadly they focused on an uninteresting part of his story, essentially only validating the film if a sequel was made that actually told the interesting story (of how he went evil and tried to conquer the world, etc), but that sequel was never made. In fact they made a direct-to-video prequel instead, going in the wrong direction for the character's story, thus telling an even more uninteresting story about the character and avoiding the only thing audiences would ever care to actually see.

That said, the movie has a couple decent moments, mostly at the end. The comic relief is worse than that in The Mumm

25. Rogue1-and-a-half

Nov 2, 2000
    The Rookie is a four star film, I think, and so is Panic Room (which I actually think is one of Fincher's most astonishing technical achievements; what he does in that house with that camera is just astounding). And Blade II, while perhaps not strictly speaking a four star film, was just incredibly brilliant and gripping and jaw dropping (or opening); yes, best of the franchise, by far. It's the movie that really put Del Toro on my watch list.

Ice Age was surprisingly fun.

My Big Fat Greek Wedding was pretty cliched and flat and not that interesting. Murder by Numbers, a very by the numbers thriller with Sandra Bullock attempting to play a more or less sociopathic detective was . . . not good. Chris Penn was pretty good in a small role, but that was pretty well the only watchable thing in the movie.

And I think I actually saw High Crimes, but I kind of remember nothing about it.