main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph Film Releases & Trends of a Decade Retrospective: The Nineties A-Z. Now Disc: 1993 D-G

Discussion in 'Community' started by The2ndQuest , Apr 15, 2009.

1. Chancellor_Ewok

Chancellor_Ewok Chosen One star 7

Nov 8, 2004
    Actually, that was one of the few things The Patriot got right. The French were cautious because the Continentals appeared to be losing the war and the French said that they werem't going to get actively involved until the Americans could prove that they could win a European-style engagement.

2. Gonk

Gonk Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 8, 1998
    Is it just me or did 2000 sort of seem like the closing end of a good run for Hollywood.

That is, I remember thinking that when Gladiator came out that there had been a run of great Hollywood films and events from 1999 that seemed to be starting to slow down (Fight Club, the Matrix -- and at least to some the Phantom Menace among others).

It's not like it was the end of an era or anything, I just remember feeling at the time that 2000 moving into 2001/2002 was a Hollywood downward slope that's probably picked back up since.

3. Jedi_Keiran_Halcyon

Jedi_Keiran_Halcyon Jedi Knight star 6

Dec 17, 2000
    2000 was kind of a quiet year in terms of big 'Hollywood' movies, but I don't think the overall quality was worse than the previous years. It just tended towards a smaller scale.

There were some larger films, but with the exception of X-Men none of them really worked as demographic-bridging adventures.

They were either skewed too young (Pokemon, How the Grinch Stole Christmas!), skewed too old (The Patriot, Mission: Impossible II), or just plain awful (Battlefield Earth, Dungeons and Dragons).

But like I said, X-Men stands out as the major exception, and it's a considerable one as the film heralded the beginning of the comic-book age of movie franchises. Sure, it wasn't until Spider-Man in 2002 that things really heated up, but X-Men set the stage in a significant way.

4. Spiderfan

Spiderfan Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 9, 2004
    I would be more inclined to give X-Men credit than Spider-Man. Spider-Man re-iterated the point that comic book properties were bankable investments and was likely the necessary push to really convince studios, but the groundwork for that was set with X-Men. Sadly the majority of what followed was fairly mediocre at best with many films being rather abysmal, but thankfully despite the onslaught of crap we still got some real jems (X2, SM2, Iron Man, BB, TDK etc).

5. Gonk

Gonk Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 8, 1998
    2000 was kind of a quiet year in terms of big 'Hollywood' movies, but I don't think the overall quality was worse than the previous years. It just tended towards a smaller scale.

I'm not saying that 2000 didn't have any good movies mind you, just that the average film had less quality becuase there were more blunders skewing the results.

And that's not to say that 2000 was particularly bad, but that 1999 had been particularly good.

6. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Every few years a year comes along that seems pretty quiet compared to those around it, in retrospect, depending on how crtain tentpoles faired. 95 seemed quiet compared to 96. 97 seemed quiet compared to 96, 98 seemed quiet compared to 97. Each year still had a major movie or two, but others fell short of the mark (Godzilla) or were more awards-centric than crowd pleaser (The English Patient, for example).

And yet it's funny that 99 seemed so good despite the fcat that there was essentially one less month in the year for big movies to be released in due to the "we aren't touching that" fear of releasing anything in the wake of TPM, something Austin powers 2 exploited heavily.

Not having seen it, I didn't want to overrate it.

7. Forcefire

Forcefire Jedi Master star 4

Jul 17, 2000
    But you overcompensated! :p

8. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    January & February 2001

Notable releases: (listed in release order)

January:
    -A Beautiful Mind (wide release)
    -Antitrust
    -Save the Last Dance
    -Black Hawk Down
    -The Pledge
    -Sugar and Spice
    -The Wedding Planner

February:
    -Valentine
    -Hannibal
    -Saving Silverman
    -Down to Earth
    -Super Troopers
    -3000 Miles to Graceland
    -Monkeybone
    -The Mexican

T2Q Comments:

A Beautiful Mind: I enjoyed the film, and it's well acted, but perhaps overrated. I think it was trying to cash in on both American Beauty and Gladiator.

Antitrust: I really enjoyed this one- it's not a great movie, but it mixes a similar flavor as Hackers in with a Bill Gates clone as the evil bad guy. The Mac lover in me couldn't resist.

-Hannibal: Controversial sequel to Silence of the Lambs, and though not as good as the original, it does have several excellent sequences, even if it's a slightly different take on the character.

-Super Troopers: Introducing the Broken Lizard troupe's brand of comedy. Still their best film.

-3000 Miles to Graceland: This is a crazy, silly action movie and I quite dug it. Elvis impersonators in a crime shoot em up? Gotta love it.

Overall Trends: Save the Last Dance would have a few similar cheesy dance-centered chick flicks, a genre eventually parodied this year in Dance Movie. Sugar and Spice is, while noticebaly different, obviously trying to play off of Bring It On. The Wedding Planner is one among many medicore chick flicks with Jennifer Lopez to come. Monkeybone is added to Frasier's list of bad movies.

9. Katana_Geldar

Katana_Geldar Jedi Grand Master star 8

Mar 3, 2003
    A Beautiful Mind is one of my favourite films, and I had a sort of fan moment with the Einstein scenes. Which I thought rather weird.

10. Rogue1-and-a-half

Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 2, 2000
    Could you expand on the connections between A Beautiful Mind and American Beauty? I see absolutely no connections between the two films, excellent as they both are.

11. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    You know, thinking about it, I don't think the connections are as strong as I recalled. It's just the impression of being an oscar-aimed film with surrealistic moments or interludes. It was more of a feeling, though- I retract the direct comparison.

12. goraq

goraq Jedi Youngling star 4

May 15, 2008
    No really good movie among those.

13. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    A couple fun guilty pleasures, though.

14. Chancellor_Ewok

Chancellor_Ewok Chosen One star 7

Nov 8, 2004
    Funny, I remember Black Hawk Down as being a summer film for some reason. I wonder why that is?

15. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Hmm- looking into things, it may be a mistake in the wiki list I'm referencing- it seems BHD didn't actually come out until December 2001, in limited release, with a wide release in Jan 02. Oh well, no sense changing it here now.

On the subject of BHD, it's been awhile since I saw it but I recall it being one of the first modern war films to take that style to combat- the "gritty dirt look" of recent Scott and Bay films. Might not necessarily be the first, but people seem to point towards BHD being the film copied in such situations.

16. Obi Anne

Obi Anne Celebration Mistress of Ceremonies star 8 Staff Member Manager

Nov 4, 1998
    One thing I notice when reading these lists is that I'm pretty sure that there has been a trend towards more world wide releases, or at least releasing the films in a shorter time period. Many of the film listed here are films that didn't show up in Europe until late Summer/Autumn/Early Winter, nowadays we do get most of the films not too far off from the American release. There are still exceptions though of course.

17. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Good point- that's something that is starting to come into effect aroun this time- just look at the various worldwide release dates TPM had in 1999, compared to a mostly global release for AOTC in 2002 or the Matrix sequels in 2003.

18. Rogue1-and-a-half

Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 2, 2000
    Fair enough; they're both definitely the kind of 'serious' films that the Academy loves. In tone and style and mood, they seem very different.

Jeez, we need more retractions around this place; has anyone in the Senate ever retracted anything? :p

19. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    It wouldn't be the senate if they did ;)

20. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    March & April 2001

Notable releases: (listed in release order)

March:
    -The Mexican
    -Enemy at the Gates
    -Exit Wounds
    -Heartbreakers
    -Say It Isn't So
    -Spy Kids
    -The Tailor of Panama
    -Tomcats

April:
    -Along Came A Spider
    -Blow
    -Bridget Jones' Diary
    -Frailty
    -Joe Dirt
    -Josie and the Pussycats
    -Crocodile Dundee in Los Angeles
    -Freddy Got Fingered
    -Driven

T2Q Comments:

-Enemy at the Gates: Solid WW2 sniper-vs-sniper flick

-Say It Isn't So: A lower level Farrely Bros comedy, but not without it's moments.

-Spy Kids: I think the first one was a fun flick that had a fun energy to it, though the series got progressively sillier from here.

-Along Came A Spider: Unsuccessful attempt at establishing a franchise with Morgan Freeman's character from 1997's Kiss the Girls.

-Blow: Not a classic, but a pretty solid film worth seeing once. Depp, as always, is quite good here.

-Frailty: I never saw this, but have been meaning to, as it received very good reviews, especially for a horror film. Also curious as it was Paxton's directorial debut as well.

-Joe Dirt: Occasionally funny, but certainly not a comedy to recommend that much. But enjoyable if you just sit down with a buncha friends, though it helps if you like David Spade. Though extreme points of awesomeness for the use of Christopher Walken and his infinitely quoteable "...or I'm gonna stab you in the face with a soldering iron." [face_laugh]

-Crocodile Dundee in Los Angeles: Never saw it, but it's a sequel made 10 years to late (and I rather liked both original movies)

-Freddy Got Fingered: Absolutely horrible- it's like Tom Green set out to make the worst film possible. It has only two hilarious moments (in my twisted opinion)- both of which are in the trailers and only one of which is in the actual movie (the deleted "cheese helmet!" scene and the "daddy would you like some sausage?" absurdity). The aggressively fellatio-obsessed girlfriend was randomly amusing as well.

-Driven: This one was, sadly, not very good. It tried to be a more serious or slightly more realistic Days of Thunder but ended up being too absurd and dull. Some good crash scenes, but a disappointment for both Stallone and Harlin.

Overall Trends: Tom Green would never be allowed to do anything more than appear in a movie again, Stallone would continue to have a string of bad flicks for years that Driven is just one of.

21. Obi Anne

Obi Anne Celebration Mistress of Ceremonies star 8 Staff Member Manager

Nov 4, 1998
    You didn't mention Bridget Jones. I think that is the essential chick-flick of at least the early 2000s. Bridget is also a household name in a way that few other chick-flick characters have managed. Sure you know that for example Julia Roberts have been in a couple of rom-coms, but do you know any of the names of her characters? Also how many films like that gets sequels?

22. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Definitely have a point there- that was a fairly significant chick flick that we heard of for quite awhile.

23. Django211

Django211 Force Ghost star 4

Mar 6, 1999
    "Frailty" is fantastic. It showed that Bill Paxton learned a lot from from the directors he worked with, particularly Cameron. Listening to the DVD commentary you get to hear how ingenious some methods of film making are when working with a small budget. After this film I can't believe that Paxton hasn't gotten another chance to direct a horror/suspense film. Hopefully he'll get some more chances.

Its a creepy & thoughtful film that's also a lot of fun. By far the best film listed up to this point for 2001.

24. Rogue1-and-a-half

Nov 2, 2000
    The best of those strike me as Frailty and Bridget Jones; odd juxtaposition that, but they're both pretty great.

Frailty is a fantastic, low budget horror flick. Powers Boothe and Matt McC have a killer scene at about the half point, driving in the rain.

Bridget Jones made me laugh a whole lot and I'm not even the target audience; Zellwegger slays it though and Firth and Grant both played to type wonderfully. Also, best fist fight ever.

25. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Roddy Piper disagrees with you. ;)