main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph Film Releases & Trends of a Decade Retrospective: The Nineties A-Z. Now Disc: 1993 D-G

Discussion in 'Community' started by The2ndQuest , Apr 15, 2009.

1. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    Uh, yeah there was. It was called "The Special Relationship" and came out in 2010.

ES

2. Mastadge

Mastadge Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 4, 1999
    Out of these two months, I've seen only Smokin' Aces, which I enjoyed, and Bridge to Terabithia, which was surprisingly good. Ghost Rider is the rare comic book film I can't manage to make myself watch. Breach and The Astronaut Farmer are on the list.

3. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    March & April 2007

Notable releases: (listed in release order)

March:
    -Black Snake Moan
    -Wild Hogs
    -Zodiac
    -The Ultimate Gift
    -Dead Silence
    -I Think I Love My Wife
    -Premonition
    -The Hills Have Eyes 2
    -The Last Mimzy
    -Pride
    -Reign Over Me
    -Shooter
    -TMNT
    -Blades of Glory
    -The Lookout
    -Meet the Robinsons

April:
    -Are We Done Yet?
    -Firehouse Dog
    -The Reaping
    -Grindhouse
    -The Hoax
    -Aqua Teen Hunger Force Colon Movie Film for Theaters
    -Disturbia
    -Pathfinder
    -Perfect Stranger
    -Redline
    -Slow Burn
    -Fracture
    -Hot Fuzz
    -In the Land of Women
    -Vacancy
    -The Condemned
    -The Invisible
    -Kickin' It Old Skool
    -Next

T2Q Comments:
    -300: "THIS. IS. SPARTA!!!". Stylistic awesomeness, bearer of the greatest Lexicon of Badassery this side of Ash and Nada.

-Reign Over Me: Never saw this one, but it did bring us Pearl Jam's perfect cover of "Love Reign O'er Me" for the soundtrack.

-TMNT: Never saw the 2003 reboot series (to which this is a partial sequel to, as well as apartial sequel to the original 3 films), but this flick was pretty good. Much better than the 3rd movie, for certain. The "what they've been up to" opening montage is perfect, and the Raph vs Leo showdown is just brutally awesome, emotional and something we've waited a long time for.

-Grindhouse: A great experience, though I favor Tarintino's installment over Rodriguez's. The whole package, with the fake (at the time) trailers, classic ad spots, etc really sold the experience.

-Aqua Teen Hunger Force Colon Movie Film for Theaters: This is for fans only. But gloriously ridiculous. Also the first movie to be aired on cable before it's theatrical release... in a silent, quarter-sozed screen in the corner of the regular Adult Swim programming. [face_laugh]

-Redline: Apparently a bad flick (but I may just check it out anyways), but also one funded entirely by subprime loans. which didn't help the film at all fter the market meltdown.

Movies I Want See
    -Blades of Glory
    -The Condemned
    -Disturbia
    -Fracture
    -The Hills Have Eyes 2
    -The Last Mimzy
    -The Lookout
    -Meet the Robinsons
    -Next
    -Pathfinder
    -Redline
    -Shooter
    -Vacancy
    -Zodiac

Overall Trends:

Between The Marine and The Condemned, you're seeing a lot of WWE stars in flicks as of late.

4. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    Hot Fuzz is hands down my favorite Edgar Wright film. It's so simple yet so complex at the same time. Reign Over Me is alright, and yes Pearl Jam's cover is great, but it doesn't beat the original IMO.

Also Blades of Glory is worth it for the last few lines. [face_laugh]

5. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    The funny thing about the Pearl Jam cover is I was listening to the original song on the radio one day 1 or 2 years ago (having only really gotten into the more popular Who songs relatively recently) and I thought "You know who would be great to cover this? Pearl Jam/Vedder."

Then, later that day, they played the cover on the radio. [face_laugh]

I like it when I make things happen with my mind. ;)

6. The_Four_Dot_Elipsis

The_Four_Dot_Elipsis Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 3, 2005
    Zodiac: A work of methodical genius, a throwback to a bygone era of thoughtful, mannered, yet progressive filmmaking. Mark Ruffalo's performance is quite possibly the best of the year, and that's saying a lot. It's just staggering, without ever being showy. The rest of the cast is perfect too, apart from Gylenhaal, who can't quite sell wearyness or... well, age, for that matter. And Downey is a bit too much of a showpony, but other than that it's almost perfect.

300: Idiotic and not really as fun as it should be - fleeting moments of stylized excitement, but utterly braindead and pretty much worthless as a film.

Grindhouse: Fun idea, but I have a hard time imagining that anyone audience member could possibly have derived more enjoyment from it than the filmmakers themselves, which in a roundabout way isn't a good thing.

Hot Fuzz: One of the great comedies of the last decade. Great, great cast of British talent. Getting to see Timothy Dalton and Jim Broadbent as the bad guys in a high-octane car chase that involves a swan is worth the price of admission alone.

Next: Lee Tamahori + Nicolas Cage = I choose death. Actually, I wish I had.

Also, there are two women in the top billing - Jessica Biel and Julianne Moore. I had assumed that Moore was the appropriate love interest for Cage, and that Biel would be his daughter or something.

APPARENTLY NOT. [face_plain]

7. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    May & June 2007

May:
    -Waitress
    -Lucky You
    -Spider-Man 3
    -28 Weeks Later
    -Delta Farce
    -Georgia Rule
    -The Ex
    -Shrek the Third
    -Bug
    -Pirates of the Caribbean: At World's End

June:
    -Gracie
    -Knocked Up
    -Mr. Brooks
    -Hostel: Part II
    -Ocean's Thirteen
    -Surf's Up
    -Fantastic Four: Rise of the Silver Surfer
    -Nancy Drew
    -Evan Almighty
    -A Mighty Heart
    -Live Free or Die Hard
    -Ratatouille
    -Sicko

T2Q Comments:
    -Spider-Man 3: At first, Venom issues aside, I thought this was the best film of the series as I was walking out the theater, but then things like the Magic Butler and the annoying ****ing reporter commentary started to creep in there.

The birth of Sandman was an amazing scene and I liked the Anti-Parker take on Brock as Venom- I never felt they were villains of rushed development or exposition like what made Doc Ock feel cheap to me in SM2.

I didn't even mind the song and dance number- I didn't find it anywhere near as distracting or horrible as the raindrops bit from SM2.

But, they quite obviously squished two movies into one (either because of Raimi's distaste for non-original villains or actor contracts or whatever) which left Sandman's story dangling and Venom's story rushed.

What's more, Raimi spit in the eye of fans and threw salt on the wound by not only finding a plausible way to defeat Venom for this film (thereby allowing them to develop him in a future movie where'd they'd have time/interest to do so) but then arbitrarily killing off the character for no reason, despite the fact that the whole black suit/Venom thing was what people were seeing the damn movie for!.

-Shrek the Third: They just weren't trying here. the thing with the Princesses was amusing, but, yeah...nothing happened here. Just watch the first 2 and maybe the 4th and you'll be good.

-Pirates of the Caribbean: At World's End: Amazing in some areas and disappointing in others- but, despite the waste of Norrington's character (who was built-up so excellently in the second film), the too-long-and-dry Locker sequence and the do-nothing-at-all Pirate armada, I find myself liking this one the most out of the series.

Davey Jones is just an incredible villain, Barbossa is bat**** insane when needed, yet he and Jack have some great quiet moments (like the ruminations on their fading place in the world), Bootstrap Bill's sad "You know my name!" scenes still work, the bittersweet ending I love and the score is just damn amazing.

-Fantastic Four: Rise of the Silver Surfer: A significant improvement over the first film, with a great combo performance by Doug Jones & Lawrence Fishbourne as the Surfer (probably the worst thing about this film's underperformance is it prevented the JMS-penned SS spin-off film from happening- which, given JMS's SS: Requiem work, would have been a great combination with their performance).

Yet, the stupid alteration to Galactus and even undoing the one promising thing about the first film (that Doom would at least have his damn mask on permanently), among other flaws, just dragged down the film overall.

-Evan Almighty: Yeah, despite Carrell's best effort, this one was pretty bad, and it has nothing to do with the lack of Jim Carrey- the material just wasn't there.

-Live Free or Die Hard: Even though this one has a different vibe than the first 3 DH flicks, i still really enjoyed this one. The tech-angle was different, and McClane's daughter was a welcome surprise as a character (she's neither the daughter-in-distress that 90% of other action movies would use, nor a super action ninja like the other 10% would use; just the right amount of McClane attitude and intelligence). Olyphant as the villain was also very good- naturally the best scenes are with McClane's daughter continuing to frustrate Olyphant's character.

-Ratatouille: Quirky but very good. Not their best film, but neither is it standard fare either. If they have to make semi-junk like Cars to fund more indie-like flicks like this, then so be it.

Movies I (probably)

8. The_Four_Dot_Elipsis

Mar 3, 2005
    Spider-Man 3: Hilariously bad. I wasn't a fan of Raimi's films in the first place, although I thought the first installment was serviceable, at least. This is just embarrassing, from go to ho. I for one am happy to see them reboot this series, with better personnel in some key areas. Although there will never be a better J. Jonah Jameson than J.K. Simmons.

28 Weeks Later: I thought it was exceedingly decent. It moves well, and although some of the characters themselves are weak, the dynamics are solid enough to see the film through. I'm surprised that I like this film actually, since I'm not too wild about the original.

Shrek the Third: Irredeemably god-awful.

Bug: Ditto.

Pirates of the Caribbean: At World's End: An often daft, but always ambitious, mega-budget avant-garde film. There's some stuff going on in here that's so gutsy, while being kinda really bad in certain ways, that I can't help but like it, in an odd way. The film is at least firing for some kind of thematic through-line about the death of classical romanticism, so... there's something there. But it also jumps the shark once every 5 minutes, it seems.

Ocean's Thirteen: Ellen Barkin's appeal is bizarre. I often suspect there's something wrong with me for liking her.

Live Free or Die Hard: Lily-livered and completely divorced from what made the original Die Hard such a great film. Often intolerable, always hilarious (for all the wrong reasons). And just to tick me off more, Kevin Smith pops up.

Ratatouille: A clever film, but Bird's weakest, I think. The plot movement is way too perfunctory, sometimes even clunky, and Bird's thematic delivery is just a bit too... well, blatant.

9. Chancellor_Ewok

Chancellor_Ewok Chosen One star 7

Nov 8, 2004
    Agreed. It was alright, but it makes you feel like they should have stopped after Die Hard with A Vengence. They billed this movie as the return of the patron of action heroes, but they forgot that John McClane is like Indiana Jones. He's at his best when he's getting crap kicked out of him.

10. corran2

corran2 Jedi Master star 4

May 16, 2006
    "Live Free or Die Hard". I often get stares when I tout it as probably the best pure Action film in ten years. But I stand by it. Pure entertainment, if you're looking for something else go watch "Schiendler's List".

11. The_Four_Dot_Elipsis

Mar 3, 2005
    Give me The Bourne Ultimatum over it every day of the week, and twice on Sundays.

12. corran2

corran2 Jedi Master star 4

May 16, 2006
    The Bourne Ultimatum is a great film, but for different reasons. It isn't pure action, it is also an excellent story and fitting conclusion to one of the great trilogies of all-time. Live Free or Die Hard is just pure dumb fun, pure entertainment like isn't seen a lot anymore. Both great movies, but for entirely different reasons.

13. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    July & August 2007

July:
    -License to Wed
    -Transformers
    -Clubland
    -Rescue Dawn
    -Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix
    -Captivity
    -Talk to Me
    -Hairspray
    -I Now Pronounce You Chuck and Larry
    -Sunshine
    -Arctic Tale
    -I Know Who Killed Me
    -No Reservations
    -The Simpsons Movie
    -Who's Your Caddy?

August:
    -Becoming Jane
    -The Bourne Ultimatum
    -Bratz: The Movie
    -Hot Rod
    -Underdog
    -Daddy Day Camp
    -Rush Hour 3
    -Skinwalkers
    -Stardust
    -The Invasion
    -The Last Legion
    -Superbad
    -Mr. Bean's Holiday
    -The Nanny Diaries
    -Resurrecting the Champ
    -September Dawn
    -War
    -Balls of Fury
    -Death Sentence
    -Halloween

T2Q Comments:

-Transformers: There's too much to say about the movie to fit into this thread appropriately. Suffice it to say, while some stuff works out pretty well, it's not a movie that treats it's titular characters as characters.

It was definitely afraid of the robots in this robot movie (and budget limits were not an issue- you don't need them in bot mode for them to talk/interact/develeop, etc- and even with the later sequel when they can throw tons of bots on the screen, they avoid developing them at all so it's a very deliberate decision by the writers/director) so we got saddled with a lot of human characters (most of whose subplots don't add anything to the story and, more often than not, just stop) while the bots stay off screen (including several of the most promising character elements in the franchise, such as Starscream's interaction with Megatron- something that, with their various histories and clashing views and ambitions, could fill 3 dramatic films without the need for action sequences; yet, here, it gets an afterthought of a single line of dialogue).

Add to that the horrible, horrible character designs and too-complex-to-be-interesting details (tell which swirling mass of grey & black scrap metal is fighting which as they, not necessarily "transform" as magically splinter into a million pieces; in essence, they designed cars that turn into robots, not robots that turn into cars) that, while entertaining, is a complete waste of the properties' potential. Just some real missed opportunities all around (especially given the timing of real world events- had they utilized the philosophies surrounding the war for resources angle from the original series, Transformers could have ended up being one of the most relevant socially films of the decade while still delivering the spectacle of Baysplosions).

-Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix: These tend to blur together for me, but everything from the 4th film onwards has had more or less the same quality- not as good as the third but way better than the first two.

-I Now Pronounce You Chuck and Larry: Not one of Sandler's better comedies, very one-note joke that might have played better 30 years ago.

-Sunshine: A frustrating film- the first 2/3rds of the film is really amazing, sort of a modern 2001 (if 2001 wasn't so deathly boring) wrapped in an Armageddon premise (minus Michael Bay and Bruckheimer) and one of the very few sci-fi films/shows to really try to capture moments of wonder about the universe/space travel.

(Sunshine and Stargate Universe are the only things that come to mind over the last decade or so that have accomplished this)

But then we get to the last third, where the film makes a sudden right turn into a kinda-bad slasher film by way of Hellraiser, and it just tanks the film.

Still worth seeing for whats so great about it, but frustratingly disappointing.

-The Simpsons Movie: Very funny, with some very heartfelt moments (Marge's video message to Homer is a great performance), and it gave us Spider-Pig :D. Even better, the momentum from this movie seemingly reflected on the TV show itself, which has notably improved a considerable amount since the movie came out.

-The Bourne Ultimatum: Solid conclusion to the series.

-Hot Rod: Some of Samberg's stuff here is funny, though the supporting cast (particularly the greta Bill Hader) stand out more. It does

14. KnightWriter

KnightWriter Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 6, 2001
    Give me The Bourne Ultimatum over it every day of the week, and twice on Sundays.

I cannot imagine Live Free or Die Hard being remotely in the same universe as the Bourne Ultimatum. Ultimatum is one of the best action films ever, partly because it's intelligently done and also not all about the action. Julia Stiles really did a good job as Nicky, and she has great chemistry with Matt Damon. The Waterloo Station sequence is magnificently executed, as is the chase in Tangier. Matt Damon did a total of three action films, all with the name "Bourne" in them, and he hasn't done one since Ultimatum. Think back to his role in Good Will Hunting or just about any of his films from those days and think of how unrealistic it was at that time to imagine him leading one of the best action films of the decade.

Damon's singular intensity is what makes the film for me, along with his underlying humanity.

15. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    You don't count Green Zone? It's not all-out action like Bourne, but certainly cut from the same mold (for obvious reasons).

16. KnightWriter

KnightWriter Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 6, 2001
    I forgot about that. Still, not many action films from him.

17. The_Four_Dot_Elipsis

Mar 3, 2005
    Transformers: Mindless crap. The 80s cartoon was fun in fits and starts, because there were actual dynamics at work. Dynamics do not exist in the world of Michael Bay.

Rescue Dawn: Excellent, chock full of Herzog's usual gallows humour. It almost plays as a comedy, to be honest - it is most certainly satirical though, despite being a true story.

Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix: The theatrical cut's missing an hour of what was shot, apparently - and it shows. But when all's said and done, Rowling's original tome isn't all that substantial, in terms of what is achieved by the narrative in the context of the overall series. It's a film of strong moments, but the entire package never really satisfies. And it's really, really badly edited.

Hairspray: For the people who like this stuff, this is about as healthy and as clever as it gets. Me? I was just waiting for Christopher Walken to push Michelle Pfeiffer out the window.

Sunshine: I think it's quite an accomplishment in many regards. I'm not even as upset over the third-act nonsense as everyone else. It's not a great film, but in some ways it's a gutsy one.

The Simpsons Movie: There are what, three gags that work in this? It's not helped by the fact that several memorable episodes have a greater scope and import than this supposed "film."

The Bourne Ultimatum: Best of the bunch. One of the best films of the year too. Just intense from go to ho.

Rush Hour 3: Utter crap. And I love the first one.

Stardust: Terrific, I thought. Much better than The Princess Bride, which it's sorta/kinda aping. I was wincing less, anyway - I liked the lead more, and I just thought that most of the situations were a lot... cleverer. I understand that The Princess Bride is a sacred cow though, so I'll just say... Stardust's good. Very good.

Superbad: Funny. And instantly forgettable, as it happens.

18. MarcusP2

MarcusP2 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 10, 2004
    I can't believe these movies came out four years ago. :eek:

19. Chancellor_Ewok

Chancellor_Ewok Chosen One star 7

Nov 8, 2004
    Really? They cut a whole hour out of OOTP? I would love to see a three hour ultimate cut of Order of the Phoenix. I bet it would be a completely different, and probably much better, movie.

20. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    September & October 2007

September:
    -3:10 to Yuma
    -The Brothers Solomon
    -Shoot 'Em Up
    -The Hunting Party
    -Across the Universe
    -The Brave One
    -D-War
    -Eastern Promises
    -In the Valley of Elah
    -Mr. Woodcock
    -Into the Wild
    -Good Luck Chuck
    -Resident Evil: Extinction
    -Magicians
    -The Jane Austen Book Club
    -Feast of Love
    -The Game Plan
    -The Kingdom
    -The Darjeeling Limited

October:
    -Feel the Noise
    -The Heartbreak Kid
    -The Seeker
    -Michael Clayton
    -Elizabeth: The Golden Age
    -The Final Season
    -Why Did I Get Married?
    -We Own the Night
    -30 Days of Night
    -The Comebacks
    -Gone Baby Gone
    -Rendition
    -Sarah Landon and the Paranormal Hour
    -The Ten Commandments
    -Things We Lost in the Fire
    -Dan in Real Life
    -Saw IV

T2Q Comments:

-3:10 to Yuma: Even though I'm not a fan of westerns, this one still managed to overcome that, including elements from the genre that usually work, and pairing them with some great actors.

-Shoot 'Em Up: One of my favorite movies of all time. I absolutely love it. It's basically a live action Bugs Bunny cartoon with guns, hitmen and prostitutes (something the film embraces- not only is Clive Owen Bugs and Paul Giamatti Elmer, but there is a higher-than-usual ratio of death-by-carrots ;)). Just pure fun and violence.

-Resident Evil: Extinction: I sadly missed this one in theaters but I found it to be the strongest of the series, even if it moves the farthest away from the source material (well, until the 4th film turned it into a Matrix ripoff).

-The Kingdom: Solid military/political/action/investigation hybrid with a good cast an a very intense climactic chase/shoot-out.

-Elizabeth: The Golden Age: I haven't seen either film yet, but it was somewhat remarkable that the sequel really made me want to see it despite having no interest in the original.

-Saw IV: Stronger than part 3 (as the "character going through the tests" is less of a random inclusion) as the series really starts expanding on the supporting cast characters from previous films and begins weaving the backstory into greater complexity. It's with this film that, combined with Tobin Bell's excellent presence and performance, that Jigsaw completes the transition from serial killer to anti-hero, in the eyes of the audience- a somewhat unique aspect that has helped contributed to the character's enduring popularity.

Movies I (probably) Want See
    -30 Days of Night
    -Across the Universe
    -The Darjeeling Limited
    -D-War
    -Eastern Promises
    -Elizabeth: The Golden Age
    -Gone Baby Gone
    -Good Luck Chuck (yes, I know it's probably bad)
    -In the Valley of Elah
    -Michael Clayton
    -Mr. Woodcock
    -Rendition
    -The Seeker

Overall Trends:

Ben Affleck sort of starts a comeback here directing Gone Baby Gone while we're starting to see a slew of middle-east/anti-war films begin to test the water in relation to the public's growing disapproval in Iraq- yet, going by reactions and boxoffice, it was still seemingly something of a tough sell.

I can't help but think that if these films had come out even a month earlier, the explosion of popularity in fictionalized mideast combat linked to the huge success of Call of Duty: Modern Warfare may have helped a couple of them (though, obviously, not all).

21. The_Four_Dot_Elipsis

Mar 3, 2005
    Across the Universe: Interesting concept, never really comes off, but points for gumption, and a handful of excellent sequences.

Eastern Promises: Very good. An effective thriller, with some wonderful performances, particularly from Mortensen and the King of Badassery, Armin Mueller-Stahl. It's not as good as A History of Violence though, no sir.

In the Valley of Elah: Robust and practical. Haggis' best of his three directorial efforts to date. Tommy Lee Jones is captivating as usual. The politics are as ham-fisted as you would expect, but Haggis shores it up with a strong narrative.

Into the Wild: Gutsy and on the whole, terrific. There are some lulls, to be sure, but when the film is firing it really hits home. One of the most underrated William Hurt performances of recent years, too.

The Darjeeling Limited: Minor Anderson, which still makes it infinitely more worthwhile than most of the other dreck on offer.

The Heartbreak Kid: The Farrelly brother are going to hell, purely because they made this. And if that's not already the case, I will endeavour to make it so.

Michael Clayton: Superb throwback to the Lumet/Pakula thrillers of the 70s. A great evocation in every area, from the writing to the photography to the performances. Clooney's best turn, although personally I think AMPAS should have nominated Sydney Pollack for Best Supporting Actor instead of Tom Wilkinson (who is also great). A well deserved Oscar for the always great Tilda Swinton, too.

Elizabeth: The Golden Age: I'm a fan of the original, but within about 30 seconds of this one starting I realized... uh oh. Kapur forgets everything that made the first film such a breath of fresh air in the realm of costume biopics, and delivers one of the stuffiest, unintentionally hilarious works of Oscar bait in recent years. Even Geoffrey Rush is boring in it, that's how bad it is. And Rhys Ifans as a sullen, zealot-assassin is never going to be a good idea.

Gone Baby Gone: A very strong debut from Ben Affleck. Shame his sophomore effort wasn't as good.

Things We Lost in the Fire: Interesting film, but it is built on the idea that someone would mourn the death of David Duchovny, which I just don't buy.

22. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    I saw the film had good reviews, but I just remember the trailer not catching my interest at all.

[face_laugh]

[face_laugh] [face_laugh] That's terrible! [face_laugh]

23. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    November & December 2007

November:
    -American Gangster
    -Bee Movie
    -Martian Child
    -Fred Claus
    -Lions for Lambs
    -No Country For Old Men
    -P2
    -Beowulf
    -Love in the Time of Cholera
    -Mr. Magorium's Wonder Emporium
    -August Rush
    -Enchanted
    -Hitman
    -The Mist
    -This Christmas
    -Awake

December:
    -Juno
    -Atonement
    -The Golden Compass
    -Noelle
    -The Perfect Holiday
    -Alvin and the Chipmunks
    -I Am Legend
    -Charlie Wilson's War
    -National Treasure: Book of Secrets
    -P.S. I Love You
    -Sweeney Todd: The Demon Barber of Fleet Street
    -Walk Hard: The Dewey Cox Story
    -Aliens vs. Predator: Requiem
    -St Trinian's
    -The Water Horse: Legend of the Deep
    -The Bucket List
    -There Will Be Blood
    -The Orphanage

T2Q Comments:

-American Gangster: Very solid drama with Denzel.

-Beowulf: Though not a classic, I liked this one- good cast (who are, mostly) rendered photo real with the mocap style. Kinda bummed I missed it in 3D when it was in theaters (missed the 3D showing by 10-15 minutes, had to settle for the 2D showing) as there were scenes obviously made with 3D in mind.

-Hitman: I understand that fans of the game hate the movie for how loose it plays with the game mythology, but, having no knowledge of that, I liked this one quite a bit. I liked Olyphant in the role too (but, then, he was coming in high off of his good turn as the villain in Die Hard 4 that year).

-I Am Legend: Really good drama/action flick with some very memorable sequences (the one with the dog in particular was rough). However, the CGI vampires with that awful Mummy-mouth jaw effect distract more than they add to things. Definitely check out the original alternate ending version of the movie, though- otherwise various subtext elements presented throughout the film end up having no payoff and leave you a little bewildered.

-Charlie Wilson's War: I think I saw this one, but I can't really remember much.

-National Treasure: Book of Secrets: More of an Indiana Jones film than the first one.

-Aliens vs. Predator: Requiem: This one is frustrating. On one hand, it gets a lot so terribly right compared to the last film (Hard R rating, Predalien, no substandard Predator effects, etc). On the other, the human plotline is beyond terrible and is almost literally the same concepts Rodriguez spoofed in Grindhouse's Planet Terror, with a Ripley ripoff thrown in for flavor.

It's like they took two steps in the right direction, but tripped and fell off a wall while doing so.

On the plus side, if you ignore the human plotline (or can edit it out yourself), you realize the film's main character is really the Predator, who is "the cleaner" of this scenario- and then the movie becomes pretty badass.

-There Will Be Blood: Daniel Day Lewis is a monster of an actor in this film- even if the rest was terrible, it'd be worth seeing for him alone. The film overall meanders at times, but is still worth seeing once, I think, if only for the famous milkshake scene at the end (which you should then track down the SNL parody skit afterwards).

Movies I (probably) Want See
    -The Bucket List
    -Fred Claus
    -The Golden Compass
    -Juno
    -Lions for Lambs
    -The Mist
    -Mr. Magorium's Wonder Emporium
    -No Country For Old Men
    -The Orphanage
    -Sweeney Todd: The Demon Barber of Fleet Street
    -Walk Hard: The Dewey Cox Story

Overall Trends:

More Iraq/9-11-themed political dramas, failed attempts at franchises (Golden Compass) and surprisingly successful ones (Chipmunks). Juno got that one chick on the spotlight radar for awhile. Fox would break up the fight between Aliens and Predators to head both series into solo relaunches with both Predators and the forthcoming Prometheus Alien prequel.

24. The_Four_Dot_Elipsis

Mar 3, 2005
    American Gangster: Washington is great, the rest is exceedingly boring. Scott can't manage 1st acts at all anymore, and the film goes nowhere fast.

Bee Movie: Awful.

Lions for Lambs: Interesting structurally, and I liked Tom Cruise. It's a tad ridiculous, though.

No Country For Old Men: Brilliant. The Coens at the peak of their powers. Very close to perfect.

Beowulf: A curio piece more than anything. It doesn't work, but I can see where Zemeckis was going with it.

Juno: Worst winner of the Best Original Screenplay Oscar.

Atonement: Stunning film. Beautifully written, shot, and acted. James McAvoy's finest hour.

I Am Legend: God-awful.

Charlie Wilson's War: Fleet and disposable, but entertaining. Especially due to Emily Blunt appearing in her underwear. Mmhmm.

Sweeney Todd: The Demon Barber of Fleet Street: Brilliant. Very close to Burton's, Depp's, and Rickman's best. The handling of key sequences is exquisite. I don't understand why Burton doesn't demonstrate this kind of cinematic nous more often.

Walk Hard: The Dewey Cox Story: "The Beatles! Please, stop fighting, here in India."

There Will Be Blood: Extraordinary and singular. It's its own beast entirely. DDL is perfect.

25. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    The year 2007 in review- what's worth seeing (once or several times?), what's worth keeping?

Skimming back through the lists I posted, here's my personal selections (and, as always, I encourage folks to skim back through the lists and make their own):

Worth Keeping: (aka: get the DVD!)
    -3:10 to Yuma
    -Aliens vs. Predator: Requiem (keeping in mind my very specific method of viewing the movie :D)
    -The Bourne Ultimatum
    -Grindhouse
    -Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix
    -Live Free or Die Hard
    -Pirates of the Caribbean: At World's End
    -Shoot 'Em Up
    -The Simpsons Movie
    -Smokin' Aces
    -Superbad

Worth Seeing a Few Times: (aka: maybe get the DVD)
    -Aqua Teen Hunger Force Colon Movie Film for Theaters (fans only)
    -American Gangster
    -Death Sentence
    -Hitman
    -I Am Legend
    -National Treasure: Book of Secrets
    -Resident Evil: Extinction
    -Saw IV
    -Sunshine
    -TMNT
    -Transformers (my relationship status with this film series is...complicated :p )

Worth Seeing Once: (aka: rent it or get it in the $5 bin at Best Buy or Walmart)
    -Balls of Fury
    -Beowulf
    -Fantastic Four: Rise of the Silver Surfer
    -Halloween
    -The Kingdom
    -Ratatouille (I want to "rank" this higher, but it's not a film that strikes me as a "repeat viewings" type movie)
    -Reno 911!
    -Spider-Man 3
    -There Will Be Blood

If It's on Cable: (aka: not completely awful, but no need to intentionally seek it out)
    -Hot Rod
    -Stardust
    -War

List of Films I Still (Probably) Want To See:
    -28 Weeks Later
    -30 Days of Night
    -A Mighty Heart
    -Across the Universe
    -The Astronaut Farmer
    -Blades of Glory
    -Breach
    -Bridge to Terabithia