main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Vancouver Film Schools

Discussion in 'Canada Discussion Boards' started by wild_karrde, Feb 3, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wild_karrde

wild_karrde Jedi Grand Master star 7

Oct 8, 1999
    Hi all, I'm wondering if anyone has heard anything about (or better yet, attended) the Pacific Audio Visual Institute. I'm thinking of applying for their Film & Digital Arts course in the fall and would like any info anyone has. Thanks :)

2. dooku-ca-choo

dooku-ca-choo Jedi Youngling star 2

Jun 5, 2004
    Sorry dude, I know nothing of such a place. Not really that surprising, I know nothing about a great many things. However, I think there are a couple of local videophiles who may be able to help you, with a little cattle-prodding.

3. wild_karrde

Oct 8, 1999
    Thanks.

I'd appreciate any info anyone has on ANY film schools in Vancouver, as I'd prefer to go there than Toronto :p

4. SquallLeonhart

SquallLeonhart Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 8, 2004
    Cattle Prod acknowledged.

I'm currently finishing up the iFilm program at the Art Institute. I'm not in much of a postition to comment on their current program, as I'm a remnant of the old CDIS program, but it's at least worth taking a look.
    The Art Institute

PM me if you have any more specific questions

5. dooku-ca-choo

dooku-ca-choo Jedi Youngling star 2

Jun 5, 2004
    O:)

[wild_karrde]: "... I'd prefer to go there than Toronto"

Well, who wouldn't?

6. wild_karrde

Oct 8, 1999
    ;)

Thanks for the feedback. I'm also interested in Simon Fraser's program. Has anyone heard anything about it?

7. wild_karrde

Oct 8, 1999
  8. _Derisa_Ollamhin_

_Derisa_Ollamhin_ Jedi Master star 4

Jul 31, 2000
    I'll look into the Victoria one for you, wild_karrde: it's a small town, there should be someone in my circle of friends who knows someone who knows something. (And we'd *love* to have you here near the Base!)

I'll ask re: Vancouver's programmes too. :) Will post results of personal Circle of Friend's survey as soon as I get 'em. :)

*Derisa*

9. wild_karrde

Oct 8, 1999
    Cool, thanks :)

10. VancouverDGillies

VancouverDGillies Jedi Youngling

Feb 12, 2005
    The Art Institute of Vancouver's Burnaby campus is awesome. I go there now, in the middle of second semester, with classmate clee94, hehe.

11. 1858parker

1858parker Jedi Youngling

Feb 22, 2005
    film school is a waste of money, you learn more working on set or interning than at a school.

just go to cineworks.ca and you'll can establish good links there.

and I don't buy that crap its about meeting people. You can go and meet people by working on a real set and at half the cost

take my warning now!!!!!

12. VancouverDGillies

VancouverDGillies Jedi Youngling

Feb 12, 2005
    clearly you haven't seen the courses at AI Vancouver then parker, they teach way more than you'll learn on a set because it covers EVERY aspect of work, where as while you're on set you'll be focused on one thing.
    Currently I have a writing class, a location audio class, a production/legal/business class, a live broadcast class, and a cinematography class, at least until the end of the semester. And a major advantage over working on a set: You can actually make stuff you WANT to make. The school provides the latest in equipment and willing crew in the form of classmates, plus connections through the faculty (including a secret deal with lions gate studios that I won't get into because it basically singles out another local film school as being terrible :p)

13. _Derisa_Ollamhin_

_Derisa_Ollamhin_ Jedi Master star 4

Jul 31, 2000
    Sweet! Thanks for the info!

*Derisa*

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.