main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

PT Film Tie In Novels vs. Movies

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by fuzzbox77, Mar 11, 2014.

1. sharkymcshark

sharkymcshark Jedi Knight star 3

Dec 12, 2013
    I felt that the ROTS novelisation benefited from being a lot less recalcitrant to show Anakin losing his marbles.

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  2. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    Yeah, the ROTS novel definitely does amp up the "crazy" in Anakin to Vader, however, I still see it all there in Christensen's performance in the movie. You just get, like, more pages of it here. As mentioned, he is kinda throwing out one-liners when he's killing the Separatists but I can totally buy Vader doing that. I never saw his tears as being sad about what he did to the Separatists, that was just a job which I do buy that he enjoyed doing, but his tears were instead about a whole bunch of other-stuff that happened/what his future hold. And the aforementioned marble-losing.

Iron_lord and Force Smuggler like this.
  3. purplerain

purplerain Jedi Knight star 4

Sep 14, 2013
    I love that the TPM novelization explains the history of the Sith. The movie leaves you wondering what a Sith is and how the Sith went extinct.

BigAl6ft6, zompusbite and Iron_lord like this.
  4. Among the Clouds

Among the Clouds Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 18, 2001
    I prefer the films, but I also enjoy the novels. One thing I did that really made me appreciate the novels further is I read Labyrinth of Evil, ROTS, and Dark Lord: The Rise of Darth Vader back to back. You really get a lot more background on Anakin/Vader and Sidious.

SithStarSlayer and purplerain like this.
  5. purplerain

purplerain Jedi Knight star 4

Sep 14, 2013
    In an interview about ROTS, Stover said that he feels Anakin chose the dark side rather than having been seduced by the dark side and Palpatine. This might be why Anakin is presented in a less sympathetic light in the novelization.

zompusbite, fuzzbox77 and Iron_lord like this.
  6. Garrett Atkins

Garrett Atkins Jedi Knight star 4

Feb 11, 2013
    Are you sure that was an inconsistency with the film?

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  7. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    At least the novel had the political scenes in it unlike the movie.

8. SithStarSlayer

SithStarSlayer Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 23, 2003
    Along with Darth Plagueis, those are the best Novels that the PT era has to offer.

zompusbite and Among the Clouds like this.
  9. Among the Clouds

Among the Clouds Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 18, 2001
    Most certainly. I've read many of the novels (not most, but many). And those ones and the Darth Bane trilogy are the ones that made the biggest impression on me.

zompusbite likes this.
  10. Garrett Atkins

Feb 11, 2013
    I think most fans would agree that Jedi Trial is the best.

11. SithStarSlayer

Oct 23, 2003
    I enjoyed DK's take, even if our very own Lit Forum hated it for the most part.:p

I had a tough time with Anakin's near-instant willingness to confess-all open-up to the married-Stu Halcyon... but as a standalone, the story was well-written. If that makes sense.:p

Iron_lord likes this.
  12. DRush76

DRush76 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 25, 2008

Oh Lord! I remember that. I also remember how much I disliked it. I thought Stover's characterization almost reduced Anakin into a one-note character by then.​

13. Oswald1901

Oswald1901 Jedi Padawan

Oct 7, 2013
    I haven't read the TPM and ATOC novels, but I will sing the praises for the ROTS novel til the end of time.
    Anakin's characterization was brilliant (The parts with him contemplating Sidious's reveal was especially amazing), Obi-Wan was brilliant, they actually gave Mace character, the PoVs of Anakin is great and really interesting, and the opening with the people's reaction to the attack on Coruscant is breathtaking.
    Unfortunately, some parts were not up to snuff; Order 66 should've been covered more, Padme's character, and Utupau kinds drags.
    But, I still love it. Especially the humor (I will never forget the part where Obi-Wan stares at Anakin's butt in the elevator and Anakin's one-liners).

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  14. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    Neat bit of business in the ROTS novelization, Windu references Skywalker being "The Shatterpoint" which plays extremely well if you read Matthew Stover's Mace Windu novel "Shatterpoint". There's a lot of back and forth between those two works so when the Windu/Palpy confrontation happens, it resonates.

15. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    Definitely one of the best parts of the book alright BigAl6ft6
    Impossible to do on screen though.

zompusbite likes this.
  16. DRush76

DRush76 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 25, 2008
    It's a pity that I disliked most of the novel.

17. PiettsHat

PiettsHat Force Ghost star 4

Jan 1, 2011

Because Padmé refused to go with Anakin in the film. In the novel, if he really is the most important thing to her -- more important than her principles and her life's work -- then she would have gone with him.

That she didn't just shows that Stover doesn't know how to consistently characterize.

And the political scenes work better in the deleted scenes, so that, unfortunately, can't elevate the novel enough for me.

To be honest, it's reading posts like these that really made me give up on the EU.

I've read Labyrinth of Evil, ROTS, and Dark Lord: The Rise of Darth Vader and if they're really among the best of the PT novels then I can't imagine how terrible the rest must be. Just my opinion, though.

18. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    This exactly. The ROTS novel ran circles around the movie for the most part. The one exception is the scene in which Padme announces her pregnancy. The movie version of that is better.

"This is what it's like to be Anakin Skywalker, forever" makes me cry no matter how much I read it.

And the scene with Obi-Wan staring at Anakin's butt made the novel worth reading even if the rest of it were horrible.

I enjoyed the AOTC novelization as well, particularly Padme's family scenes and the Tusken slaughter and aftermath.

The TPM novelization was OK, not great.

19. SithStarSlayer

Oct 23, 2003
    You quit reading the EU because other people liked the stories more than you did? I find that fascinating.
    If only this were a different forum...
    :)

There are only five or six other PT-Era novels that I've read... TPM, AoTC, DM-Saboteur, DM-Shadow Hunter, DM-Lockdown along with Shatterpoint... but for my money, LOE, ROTS, Dark Lord and Darth Plagueis were the best of the bunch.

20. PiettsHat

Jan 1, 2011
    Well that and a few rather terrible PT novels. Greg Bear's Rogue Planet. Jedi Trial (which I never finished -- I gave up). Alan Dean Foster's The Approaching Storm. Good god was that a terrible book. I kept bursting out laughing at his horrible purple prose -- he sounded like he was regurgitating a thesaurus at some points.

I quit reading the EU because the novels that everyone said were the best seemed subpar to me. And the few additional novels I had checked out were absolutely terrible. Why waste my time? And if Stover's novelization taught me anything, it's that the EU is incredibly subject to the whim of the author. A lot of the novels feel nothing like the films. So why bother? I might as well read fan fiction. It's free after all (and often better written, to be perfectly honest).

SithStarSlayer likes this.
  21. Garrett Atkins

Feb 11, 2013
    Funny how you say how terrible the EU is with its characterization, plot, etc., and then praise the PT for being some of the best films ever made.

zompusbite likes this.
  22. PiettsHat

Jan 1, 2011

I imagine it would be funny to you since we don't share an opinion on many topics. Notice, though, that I'm posting to the PT board rather than the EU board or the Lit board. Because I'm not going to rain on their parade and waste my time railing against something I don't like to a bunch of people who are looking to enjoy it.

This thread asked about the novels vs films and was posted on the PT board. I've given an honest opinion. If you think it's funny, I wonder why you're here. Did you expect us all to hate the PT?

Alexrd and Samnz like this.
  23. Garrett Atkins

Feb 11, 2013
    To discuss the PT.

24. PiettsHat

Jan 1, 2011
    Yeah.

So don't act all surprised that people here actually, you know, like the PT and think they're good movies. If I'd liked the EU, I'd be posting there, but I don't, so I don't waste my time.

Alexrd likes this.
  25. Garrett Atkins

Feb 11, 2013
    Fair enough.