main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

PT Film Tie In Novels vs. Movies

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by fuzzbox77, Mar 11, 2014.

1. SithStarSlayer

SithStarSlayer Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 23, 2003
    Glad that's all been settled.:)

2. Merkual

Merkual Jedi Master star 4

Jun 3, 2013
    Anakinfan: I'd agree with the emotional impact of the "this is what if feels like to be Anakin Skywalker, forever, if it wasn't over used

now I haven't read it since it first came out, but I think Stover overused the "this is what it feels like to be a dish cloth, a droid with no legs, mace windu the guy sat at the back of the opera " etc that I ended up rolling my eyes.

Also the inconsistencies especially Amidala being the youngest queen on Naboo etc really grate me especially if they are "line edited".

Plagueis was an awful novel :p

3. TOSCHESTATION

TOSCHESTATION Jedi Master star 4

Jan 17, 2003
    I did - especially the ROTS novelization. Like you, I bought them all prior to seeing the films upon their release.

4. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    Just to clarify, I was talking about Star Wars movies, which is one of the rare exceptions where the novels are based on the movies and not the other way around.

SithStarSlayer and PiettsHat like this.
  5. PiettsHat

PiettsHat Force Ghost star 4

Jan 1, 2011

To generalize a bit more, it's almost always the case that:

The novel is better than the film that's based on it

But

The film is better than the novelization that's based on it

Broadly speaking, I've found novels are almost always a cut above novelizations.

SithStarSlayer likes this.
  6. Darth Dnej

Darth Dnej Jedi Master star 4

Apr 27, 2013
    The Film Novelization of Revenge of the Sith is incredible. It is definitely the most definitive version of the story.
    I cannot comment on the novels of TPM and AOTC, though I would imagine they are a little better than the movies.

Iron_lord likes this.
  7. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    Yes, in general that's the case for me.

My problem with the RotS novel, is the excessively flourished way of writing Stover uses to tell the story. I just can't stand it.

Vialco likes this.
  8. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    I have an extremely high tolerance for Purple Prose - so that sort of thing's not usually a problem for me.

Darth Dnej likes this.
  9. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    Stover may be guilty of.
    Pushing single sentence paragraphs.
    To increase the dramatic impact.
    However, it is a fairly melodramatic series anyway.
    So it fits.

QuangoFett, timmoishere and Iron_lord like this.
  10. DRush76

DRush76 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 25, 2008

I preferred the films over the novelizations. Which is odd, considering that I'm an avid reader.​

I feel the same way.

11. Cryogenic

Cryogenic Force Ghost star 5

Jul 20, 2005
    You often "like" my posts, so I can tell you're telling the truth. :p

This post is full of win! [:D]

BigAl6ft6 and Iron_lord like this.
  12. Darkslayer

Darkslayer #2 Sabine Wren Fan star 7

Mar 26, 2013
    We may disagree on the films but I'm with you on novel quality. I was surprised the film to book process could occur so smoothly. ROTS is my favorite, just because it builds off of Labyrinth of Evil. I remember when I was growing up I'd read those 2 like every summer. Good times :)

Iron_lord likes this.
  13. Darth Cyn

Darth Cyn Jedi Knight star 2

Apr 8, 2014
    I both read the novel and seen the film, and I'll admit, I prefer the novel.

Novel Pros
    -deeper characterization
    -more details
    -fits anticipated mood very well

Film Pros
    -better fights
    -music
    -not many unnecessary details

Which one is better, your thoughts.

14. Darth Dominikkus

Darth Dominikkus Jedi Knight star 3

Apr 5, 2013
    I'm a reader, so personally I love the novel for just that reason, but I love watching the films.

15. Deckiller

Deckiller Jedi Padawan

Apr 9, 2014
    The novelization of Revenge of the Sith is not only in my opinion better than the movie, but it's also in the running for one of the best Star Wars novels ever (right up there with Stover's own Traitor, the five original Thrawn books, Betrayal, and a few others that spring to mind). The details are wonderful and help give us logic and motive behind a lot of what goes on in the films. Dooku gets some wonderful characterization as well. It really feels like an important piece of the EU, not a novelization.

The characterization is unbelievable. Stover's prose invokes emotions impeccably, especially in the blunt "This is what it's like to be X" passages. I used to dislike the pacing of the book, but the more I go on the more I appreciate the lengthier first part. Why? Because it gives ue more time with an underdeveloped character like Dooku, and it makes the Obi-Wan/Anakin relationship a sizable chunk of the book. It helps us feel for what happens later, and also helps us to realize how quickly the final few events in the movie fell into place.

Fantastic book.

16. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    The book should have been longer. 1000 pages The first page which is part of my signature and the prologue are some of the best I've ever read.
    Parts of the book are better than the movie, while parts of the movie are better than the book.
    The Dooku duel was amazing in the book.

zompusbite likes this.
  17. Kenneth Morgan

Kenneth Morgan Chosen One star 5

May 27, 1999
    As I've posted elsewhere, I prefer the movie. Not only do I disagree with Stover's depiction of Anakin as mentally disturbed, rather than seriously misguided, but I think directly translating Artoo's dialogue just didn't work. And I didn't buy Palpatine scaring off Kenobi immediately after the duel, when he was still far away on Coruscant while the duel was going on.

And the "This is how it feels to be..." routine got old real fast.

Alexrd and Samnz like this.
  18. Zeta1127

Zeta1127 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 2, 2012
    The opening epigraph and introduction to the novelization are worth the price of admission.

19. Cushing's Admirer

Cushing's Admirer Chosen One star 7

Jun 8, 2006
    It's possible to be disturbed and misguided. I have not ever finished the novel but I doubt I'd like either much though on the whole I prefer books to film.

20. squir1y

squir1y Jedi Master star 3

Feb 1, 2003

I agree. It should've been longer considering almost half of it took place in the first half hour of the movie. Seemed to focus more on the end of the war than the fall of Anakin. That's not terrible though. It makes it a good companion piece to the film which had the opposite focus.

21. Force Smuggler

Sep 2, 2012
    The Invisible Hand rescue was ungodly long. At least the Dooku duel was awesome to read. How is it that the rest of the duels were short in comparison? The Order 66 section was pretty cool but should have been expanded. Kashyyk as well.

22. squir1y

squir1y Jedi Master star 3

Feb 1, 2003
    I agree. Although I did like the part when Palpatine issued Order 66 to Commander Cody and he thought to himself,"Couldn't the order have come down before I gave him back the bloody lightsaber?" Darkly funny.

23. Force Smuggler

Sep 2, 2012
    That whole Palpatine vs. the Jedi posse scene threw me off the first time I read I it. Yeah that scene was pretty funny.

24. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Best line in that movie, with "General Grievous, you're shorter than I expected" being a close contender, mostly because Grievous' reaction was funny.

But the novel had this passage:

Obi-Wan Kenobi opened his eyes to find himself staring at what he strongly suspected was Anakin's butt.

It looked like Anakin's butt--well, his pants, anyway--though it was thoroughly impossible for Obi-Wan to be certain, since he had never before had the occasion to examine Anakin's butt upside down, which it currently appeared to be, nor from this rather uncomfortably close range.

And how he might have arrived at this angle and this range was entirely baffling.

He said, "Um, have I missed something?"

"Hang on," he heard Anakin say. "We're in a bit of a situation here."

So it was Anakin's butt after all. He supposed he might take a modicum of comfort from that.

[face_love] Stover is awesome. That is all.

Force Smuggler likes this.
  25. DRush76

DRush76 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 25, 2008
    Since I dislike Matthew Stover's writing style, I'll go with the movies.

Alexrd likes this.