main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Madison, WI FilmCon - Is It True???

Discussion in 'MidWest Regional Discussion' started by Rick_Sith, Oct 3, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rick_Sith

Rick_Sith Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 2, 2002
    I've recently heard that this Fall, there will be no FilmCon to attend. Is it possible? Could this be true??

Someone PLEASE fill us in on the scoop!!

2. ROGUE_NINER

ROGUE_NINER Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 16, 2002
    I haven't heard anything so far, though last I heard Eric was having a hard time finding guests to come.

Brent might no more

3. Cleopatramwi

Cleopatramwi Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 30, 2006
    Alas, that is what I have heard as well. I ran into one of the organizers of Odyssey Con downtown and heard it from him.

4. ROGUE_NINER

Jan 16, 2002
    it will be a shame if thats the case, though from what I gathered filmcon was pretty much gone as we knew it anyway and gearing more for something else.

5. Forcebewitya

Forcebewitya Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 7, 2002
    what do you mean I might be no more lol?

Anyway here's the official word from Eric. I talked with him today and a few days ago and he said, yes Filmcon is not going to happen this fall but he is still working on getting it going for the spring. Basically he said that no one pre-regged and that he only knew of a few people coming. For some reason people just dont come....I dont get it and neither does he so he'll try again in the spring but the fall one is no more.

Forcebewitya.

6. ROGUE_NINER

Jan 16, 2002
    You talk to him more often then I do :p

Hopefully the one in the spring works out

7. jedihexer

jedihexer Jedi Youngling star 2

Apr 17, 2002
    Alright...here it is straight from the Bantha's mouth!

No there will not be a Filmcon this Fall. Sorry, but it has a lot to do with people not pre- registering. The truth is I have money set aside, but would you fly out 2 people from California, put them up, spend $1300 on a Hotel and printing costs for 50-70 people?

Severeal things prompted this. One is my schedule. Two...the retooling of the convention. People get this weird idea that ALL fan stuff is cut out...it's not. I wish people from OddCon would stop talking about MY convention to people. I had plenty of guests lined up. That was NEVER a problem. Everyone has to remember something though we are a CHARITY convention. I do not spend hundreds of dollars on a con suite, or send out mass mailings to people.

The budget is very small. On average it costs no more than $2100 to run a 3 day event, and that being the high end. But to fly people out from Cal., put them up, feed them and get everything ready...I could not justify the cost.

With that said we are going to have another Filmcon!!! In May, so far it would be the 9-11th. But everyone needs to do one thing- sign up!!! Yes sign up now. We are starting the filming of my film and the guests are going to help me with it. We are making the entire production part of the convention about how we made my film. I am hoping that people will get a chance to see more about film making this way and have a better chance at a hands on experience.

But please...do not take the word of someone from OddesyCon about Filmcon. I have NEVER told anyone from their convention about FC plans. The one thing I can't stand is bad PR. You all know me well enough- email and ask if you have questions.

Like usual I will make the convention fun for everyone who attends. Where else do you get all the neat swag every year? Name another convention that doesn't charge money for Media guests autographs? Get the point.

Enough said... I will try to attend Geekcon...the programing is by Jerome from ODDCON though. I have the breakdown of panels. If not, I hope to see everyone soon. But this time sign up sooner. That would help the most.

Best to everyone- Eric

8. Rick_Sith

Rick_Sith Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 2, 2002
    Thanks Eric!

I usually pre-reg at the previous FilmCon, but that wasn't offered the last time around.
    Being money is tight at the moment, I was even thinking of not coming in the fall. Spring should be a MUCH better time for me in that regard.

Anyway, I will email Eric with my Pre-reg for May very soon.

9. ROGUE_NINER

Jan 16, 2002
    If I can make it I'll pre register, however May is a long way off for me to make any plans

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.