main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Memph, TN Filming a Fan Film in Memphis for the 2004 Awards (AtomFilms)

Discussion in 'SouthEast Regional Discussion' started by queenofthegeeks, Mar 22, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. queenofthegeeks

queenofthegeeks Jedi Youngling star 1

May 16, 2003
    Well, I wanted to enter last year and got my camera a week and a half before the deadline. However, I now have my camera and months before the deadline....so...

I'll be filming on a Canon Xl-1 and all shots will be on location meaning, actually, that we'll be doing most of our shots outside (location still pending, but should be fairly easy to locate).

What I don't have, however, is people!

First and foremost, does anyone own a Darth Vader costume and would be willing to portray Darth "on screen"? This will involve a bit of lightsaber choreography.

I also need two male actors (both speaking) and one female (also speaking).

I might also require both a camera operator (as I'm also playing one role) and a boom operator.

Some shots will involve greenscreening (using, hopefully, a "traveling" greenscreen). It's possible for the actor who fills Vader's role to also fill one of the speaking parts as the shots will be composed separately.

If you are interested, please send me an email: blondescreenwriter @ hotmail.com (don't forget to remove the spaces).

Also, I plan on attending the media co-op meeting tomorrow night if any of you guys attend those, so you can meet me in person and we can chat about this, if you like. :)

Thanks!
    Kelly

2. Qui-Gon Tim

Qui-Gon Tim Memphis, TN FanForce Chapter Rep star 5

Apr 1, 2000
    Kelly- Well, you have several actors available in this group. Jay, Traci, and I have all been on stage, and Sal has done commercials and background work (peas and carrots, carrots and peas). Any idea when you're planning on starting this and how long the shoot will take?

3. queenofthegeeks

May 16, 2003
    The film has to be under fifteen minutes and the script is shaping up to be under ten pages. I don't see any reason for the shoot to take more than two days MAX.

The most difficult part of the shoot will be Vader. The other actors will basically be recording dialogue on camera with very little action.

If need be, the shots with Vader can be filmed on an entirely different day. I've been masking out shots to make sure it's feasible and with the greenscreening/compositing, I don't see any reason why it shouldn't be. :)

As far as scheduling, I'm open and just kinda seeing who gets involved and how we can best schedule everyone around each other. Weekends are fine. Weekdays are fine. It really just depends on the availability of people that become involved.

I will say that I'll be shooting day-for-night, so weekends might be better for those who work primarily during the day hours.

I hope that helps! Thanks for replying to me. :)

4. DarthToddy

DarthToddy Jedi Youngling star 2

Jan 22, 2004
    I can defiently play Vader and I work in TV so I can help out in whatever "Field Production" you need help, best @ Audio with camera being my second best. The only problem is a custume...no luck with that though :( ...would love a chance to strike down some Salvador or Qui Tim jedi anyday ;)

John

5. TK_1427

TK_1427 Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 12, 2003
    Too bad you don't need any stormtroopers. I could fill that roll.

Chuck

6. Dork-Vader

Dork-Vader Star Wars Sketch Card Artist star 4 VIP

May 14, 2003
    Wouldn't mind helping out with this. Sorry, no Vader costume- but I have worked on a cable access show before. Granted it made Wayne's World look hi-tech!

BTW- are you going to be able to stop by the MidSouthCon this weekend? Most of us will be there.

Also, are you talking about that co-op group that meets near Cooper-Young?

7. queenofthegeeks

May 16, 2003
    Hi guys!

Darth Toddy - One way or the other, I'm going to get a Vader costume. It's vital to the storyline (even though it takes place outside the SW universe). And I'm always needing audio help.

TK_1427 - Actually, I could use a Stormtrooper for a few shots, but I figured I was pressing my luck asking for Vader. Would you be interested?

Dork Vader - I don't know about the Midsouth Con. Where is it? Do they have a website? :) And the media co-op does meet at the church at the Cooper Young area (I can never remember the name of the church).

If you guys are interested in getting involved, send me an email (blondescreenwriter @ hotmail.com - no spaces) and I can let you guys know more and, if you're still interested, start working out the kinks. :)

Thanks so much for all your replies!
    Kelly

8. Dork-Vader

May 14, 2003
    No prob, I will.

The MidSouthCon is this weekend(Fri/Sat/Sun) near the airport off Airways at 2240 Democrat in the Holiday Inn Select. Bring any SW friends you may have. We'd love to meet you all. We'll be in costume Saturday afternoon/evening, and will be partying that night (some starting earlier and lasting longer than others). Swing on by if you get a chance. If you can't make it this weekend, watch the boards for our next get-together. We've got the Backyard Drive-In Movie Nights coming up soon, and i'm sure we'll get together to check out Rhonda's new TV or John's new bach pad.

Lin

9. Qui-Gon Tim

Apr 1, 2000
    John's new Bach pad, Lin? Do we have to wear powdered wigs and stockings when we go?

10. Dork-Vader

May 14, 2003
    My typo- 'batch pad', but boy wouldn't those outfits that freak out the neighbors?!

11. skip1

skip1 Jedi Master star 3

Mar 13, 2002
    oh i guess i could reply to this..........

I have a vader costume.but i dont live around there.i do occasionally come to memphis.i have family in collierville.

i recently filmed a segment for a fanfilm here in nashville.it was for the film school here.
    it took nearly 4 hours to film around 1 minute of film.we did numerous angles of every shot.

come to midsouthcon and be there sat morning for the 501st costuming panel.we'll have around 20 stormtroopers,bikerscouts,fetts and vader.

ive gotten numerous invitations to these films.most end up being kids with camcorders.i wont even think about being in something cheapy.if this project is for real and is going to cost some money to make then perhaps ill help out.sorry to be a butt-head.Dork-vader knows me,im not a butt.
    i mean,these costumes dont cost $49 at the halloween store!

[image=http://www.highlandcitadel.com/501stso/events/oct_11_2003b/pic003.jpg]

Lin,how ya like that blade!!!!!!!

12. TamboFett

TamboFett Jedi Youngling star 2

Jul 8, 2003
    That's one mighty fine picture Skip.....I wonder who took it. That Saber is the Shishnick!

I'd be interested in a true FanFilm someday. Most all of the productions I hear about never happen. Come look for us Saturday at the 501st panel.

13. IrishThunder

IrishThunder Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 5, 2001
    I did broadcasting for a few years in high school, so i can help with editing and stuff if need be, i've got adobe premiere and after effects if we need software, just not a fast enough comp to run them on. Don't mind being in front of a camera either.

14. Qui-Gon Tim

Apr 1, 2000
    No, Glenn- Your Jango costume is the shiznit, my man. I think your costume is probably the best tribute costume I've ever seen as far as accuracy and detail. (I call them tribute costumes because, if guys who wear Kiss makeup and sing Kiss songs can be called a Tribute band, then replicas of movie costumes should be called Tribute costumes!)

15. queenofthegeeks

May 16, 2003
    Hi everyone!

Skip, I actually do understand where you are coming from and if something could be worked out between us, I would be willing to come to you and film your shots. I would actually insist on it so you wouldn't be out the gas.

As I was saying in my earlier post, this is for the AtomsFilms festival and I would also like this to go on my showcase reel. This sounds completely ridiculous, but this (filmmaking that is) is what I eat, sleep and breathe. Last year, I convinced a member of my family to "invest" in me. With that investment, I purchased my camera, the XL-1 which is the same camera that 28 Days Later and Full Frontal (among others) was filmed on.

What might separate this from the kids with the camcorders is the fact that there is a script. And a story and real locations as the story is set on Earth - present day.

All of Vader's shots are going to be composed on a bluescreen (placed outdoors so that the lighting matches that of the actors filmed either earlier or later on). And much like the aforementioned shoot, I do plan on the same scene being performed numerous times being shot at different angles.

As for the con, what is the admission price? I saw something about memberships, but I think that must be something entirely different...

Thanks everyone!
    Kelly

16. queenofthegeeks

May 16, 2003
    IrishThunder (man, I feel really funny using screennames :p Sorry, guys),

I'll be using Vegas Video and After Effects 5.0 myself. Some shots will require masking and compositing. I'll admit that I've got some pretty bold and determined ideas, but I'm determined to see them come together. I have about three months. I'm putting aside the other short I'm working on for this (aside from someone else's shoot I'll be working on in April). Hopefully, we can see all these ideas come to full fruition. :)

Feel free to email me anytime. :)

Kelly

17. TK_1427

Oct 12, 2003
    Kelly

I would be very interested in being a part of the film. Just let me know the details at tk1427@msn.com
    I just completed a number of mods to my armor and it's ready to go.

Chuck

18. Dork-Vader

May 14, 2003
    Skip: I dig the blade so much I'm making two for this weekend- one red, one blue! I'm sure I'll be making a green and purple one later.

I completely agree with you on the "kids with camcorders" thing- I can't tell you how many times I've had folks want to shoot something or I've done 'pro-bono' art for events that never gets published.

Kelly has said a few things that's got me interested in doing this project- AtomsFilms festival, the media co-op, a script, and a bunch of technical camera/software things that went over my head!

Just let me know where and when!

The admission/memberships are the same things. Not sure what a day pass runs- I paid in advance last month. I do know whatever it is it'll be worth checking out the 501st and SMT costumes- and the party that night!

Oh, Tim: don't forget about ELVIS tribute artists! Can you imagine us all being called 'Star Wars impersonators'? Yep, have to agree with you on Glenn's outfit! I was also impressed with how Joey had his Stormtrooper helmet done- everything inside with it's own power-source, fans, and speakers/mic. Sweet...

19. queenofthegeeks

May 16, 2003
    Okay! I wanted to come on here earlier and answer everyone, but when I got up this morning, our power surged - forcing me to call the electric company. Turns out, there was a bad wire behind the house and what was supposed to only take 45 minutes (with no electricity) turned out to be hours and I've now only had power for about, oh, half an hour.

Anyway!

Chuck, be looking for an email from me.

Lin, be looking for an email from me also. What I'll probably be doing is getting together a place and time we can all meet and go over the production. This will give us a good bearing on who wants to do what.

I do have to say that the Media Co-op isn't involved in this shoot. If I went to one of those meetings and told them what I was doing, I can only imagine the laughing and heckling I'd get for being the geek that I am. :p

At the meeting, I'll bring the script and storyboards so everyone knows what's going on. I'm going to have to scout the location for the scenes involving our out-of-costume actors, also. Once we go over the script, you'll get a better idea of what's going on and I'm sure everything will sound less cryptic.

John, Dale and Glenn, if you're still interested in helping out, let me know. I'll just go ahead and include you in on the email so you know what's going on. :)

I've got several options on the Vader as of today after talking to some people. Skip, if you're interesting, just let me know. :) All options regarding Vader are going to cost a bit, but that's okay. :p

Also, what I plan on doing is, for the lightsabre choreography, taking my small 8 mm camera and doing test runs, filming all the angles so that I can better predict any pitfalls that might occur when actually filming the Vader scenes. So, if anyone's just interested in helping out with choreography one afternoon, let me know. :D

Okay, I think that's everything for now. Maybe.

Oh! And I'm going to try and show up at the Holiday Inn and see what the admission is. I'm breaking the bank with this shoot already so hopefully I'll be able to get in to see you guys, but if not, we can meet up later or maybe I can catch some of you after the Con. :)

Thanks everyone!
    Kelly

20. skip1

skip1 Jedi Master star 3

Mar 13, 2002
    kelly,
    there is no charge to get into the hotel.you can freely roam the area ,but you cant go into the panels and stuff without a pass.
    if your only gonna stop by then id say come around noon.the 501st will be out in the halls taking pictures and stuff.you can come by and meet us.then head out if need be.

and i think all day passes for sat were 20 last year.

21. queenofthegeeks

May 16, 2003
    Great! I'll come around noon, then. :)

If you see a petite blonde girl wandering around aimlessly, more than likely, it's me. :p

Kelly

22. Obi_J_Kenobi

Obi_J_Kenobi Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 15, 2002
    kelly,
    I'm all up for the Acting if you need another male role, I hope to see you at Con. I was one Actor that Tim Mentioned. Hope to see you there, also, if there is fighting involved, I can choreograph some saber fights.

23. TK_1427

Oct 12, 2003
    Lin I just finished my helmet like Joey's a couple days ago. I had to copy him cause he's my hero!!! :) Actually it's not exactly like Joey's. He has cooler toys than I do. I'll show it to ya in less than 48 hours! Woo hoo!!!!

Chuck

24. skip1

skip1 Jedi Master star 3

Mar 13, 2002
    Kelly,

if you see a large black menacing star wars character wandering around,that would be me.

just kidding,
    i doubt youll miss the 20+ star wars characters,plus were setting up a massive fan table,,,,

skip

25. Dork-Vader

May 14, 2003
    If you see a petite blonde girl wandering around aimlessly, more than likely, it's me.

Ok folks- keep an eye out for any women under 300lbs not wearing a fur bikini! Actually, Kelly, if you have a SW t-shirt that might help!

Please stop by if you can. Like Skip said, you can come into the hotel, you just have to buy a membership if you want to attend the panels or check out the dealers room or art show. We'll be holding an SMT party late Saturday night you're more than welcome to attend- ah, who am I kidding- this whole weekend is gonna be a party!

Chuck: glad you made the mods to your armor/helmet, and I'm sure you will be, too!

Skip: Got my photo-sabers done last night. I may end up re-wrapping my blue one- I had to start over half way thru and it's a bit pieced together. We'll have to wait and see how it photographs. The red looks kick butt! Thanks again for the suggestion.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.