main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Filming Announcement -- May 2014

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by -polymath-, Mar 18, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. -polymath-

-polymath- SFF:F/TV Trivia Host star 4 VIP - Game Host

Jun 7, 2007
    STAR WARS: EPISODE VII SET TO ROLL CAMERAS MAY 2014

March 17, 2014
    Disney and Lucasfilm are excited to announce that principal photography on Star Wars: Episode VII, directed by J.J. Abrams, will commence May 2014, and will be based at London's historic Pinewood Studios.
    This will be the first Star Wars film to start shooting in the month of May. Lucasfilm has documented the first day of principal photography for every installment of the Star Wars saga:

• March 22, 1976 -- The first day of principal photography in Tozeur, Tunisia, for Star Wars. A crew of 130 ventures into the desert in 42 trucks and cars, including eight army trucks full of equipment. The first shot was completed at 9:35 a.m.

• March 5, 1979 -- The first day of principal photography in Finse, Norway, for The Empire Strikes Back. The crew endures the subzero temperatures, frostbite, heavy winds, and avalanches to pull off the first shot within 65 minutes of setup.

• January 11, 1982 -- The first day of principal photography at EMI Elstree Studios outside of London for Return of the Jedi. Although inside a studio, the set must weather a sandstorm in a scene that would ultimately be cut from the film.

• June 26, 1997 -- The first day of principal photography at Leavesden Studios in Hertfordshire, England, for The Phantom Menace. Ending a long absence from the director's chair, George Lucas shoots a sequence in a bluescreen-lined set with actors Ian McDiarmid and Ray Park.

• June 26, 2000 -- The first day of principal photography for Attack of the Clones at Fox Studios Australia. In their new home Down Under, the production crew once again photographs actor Ian McDiarmid three years to the day after Episode I started shooting.

• June 30, 2003 -- The first day of principal photography for Revenge of the Sith at Fox Studios Australia. The first scenes shot feature Hayden Christensen and Ewan McGregor as Anakin Skywalker and Obi-Wan Kenobi, respectively, along with R2-D2.
    It has also been confirmed that Star Wars: Episode VII is set about 30 years after the events of Star Wars: Episode VI Return of the Jedi, and will star a trio of new young leads along with some very familiar faces. No further details on casting or plot are available at this time.
    Star Wars: Episode VII will release in theaters on December 18, 2015.
    StarWars.com. All Star Wars, all the time.

whostheBossk, Cevan, markdeez and 8 others like this.
  2. Lt.Cmdr.Thrawn

Lt.Cmdr.Thrawn Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 23, 1999
    Is this new? I mean, it makes sense because of the ages of the original actors, but had they actually said so before?

Darkslayer likes this.
  3. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
  4. -polymath-

Jun 7, 2007
    This is the most concrete information about the timing of the film that I've read and I've been actively following the film's development. There are rumors about the original actors reprising their roles and though this is no explicit confirmation of their return it's fairly obvious. The old faces won't just be Artoo...

Han Burgundy and dolphin like this.
  5. Vastor

Vastor Jedi Knight star 3

Nov 1, 2012
  6. -polymath-

Jun 7, 2007
    How much does anyone want to bet that filming will commence on May the 4th?

Darth Kermit, Rew, Darkslayer and 4 others like this.
  7. Visivious Drakarn

Visivious Drakarn Jedi Master star 3

Apr 20, 2013
    Well, at least these news bring peace to my mind that was slightly disturbed by the starwars7news.com rumors about recasting and Ep 7's setting a couple of years after ROTJ.
    The thing about a trio of new young leads is very exciting because of all previous speculations that dwelled around just one (hero of the trilogy). So Anakin - Obi-Wan - Padme and Luke - Han - Leia will get successors. That's nice. [face_coffee]

8. RyanForder

RyanForder Jedi Knight star 3

Mar 3, 2014

That's what they are aiming for i bet

9. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    I've also updated the Officially Confirmed Info thread with this:
    Filming start date: May 2014
    Episode VII is confirmed to be set about 30 years after the events of Episode VI Return of the Jedi
    [face_dancing]

10. Jobertus

Jobertus Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 31, 2012
    It's nice to have confirmation of the time period Episode VII will be set in. Not that it took a rocket scientist to make an educated guess, but it's nice to have confirmation of such details on the subject.

11. Darth Claire

Darth Claire Force Ghost star 5

Dec 21, 2012
    Star wars 7 to take place 30 years after episode 6 and star new heroes and old?
    oh Disney....I love it when you confirm the obvious

So long do you think it'll be till Jedinews, or whatnot makes a "Disney is lying! They really are recasting! Our inside sources tell us so!" post? :p

Episode Swag, jaqen, Dra--- and 5 others like this.
  12. Darth_Articulate

Darth_Articulate Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 1, 2012
    [​IMG]How far you going?

13. -polymath-

Jun 7, 2007
    It's the only way it works if the goal is to bring back the original heroes.

Jobertus likes this.
  14. HL&S

HL&S Magistrate Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 30, 2001
    Do the unions allow work to begin on a Sunday?

15. HanSolo29

HanSolo29 RPF/SWC/Fan Art Manager & Bill Pullman Connoisseur star 7 Staff Member Manager

Apr 13, 2001
    Exactly. Hopefully we can now let those recasting rumors die out altogether and move on with our lives.

Overall, I'm thrilled to hear that we finally have a confirmation on the timeline. 30 years seems to be on par with what everyone was speculating about if you take the current ages of the Big Three into consideration. I can't wait to see those "familiar faces" in action once more. I'm also happy to hear about the three new leads - there may still be room for that female lead that everyone is pulling for! ;)

16. -polymath-

Jun 7, 2007
    Who k
    It's the UK...who knows.

17. PrincessKenobi

PrincessKenobi Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 12, 2000
    Just happy for official confirmation on something. Now hopefully some cast news.

18. Chewgumma

Chewgumma Chosen One star 7

Apr 14, 2009
    Today's press release isn't anything groundbreaking, but the fact that Disney are starting to get around to making these announcements is pretty promising. With only just over a month between now and filming I'm expecting news to come thick and fast now too.

19. David_Skywalker01

David_Skywalker01 Jedi Master star 3

Nov 30, 2006
    I am interested in this 3 new leads news the most. Hopefully putting some of those rumors of the 70 year olds leading this movie to bed.

20. PrincessKenobi

PrincessKenobi Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 12, 2000
    Even if they try to hide casting announcements till we get closer to film date. You know there will be people camped out at the airport snatching up photos of people arriving. Somewhere in the next month and a half we will know who are cast is. The question however will be who they are in the movies till the official announcement.

Darkslayer and JainaSoloYJK like this.
  21. soul8luos

soul8luos Jedi Master star 4

Sep 19, 2013
    Sounds like the focus will be on the new leads.

22. David_Skywalker01

David_Skywalker01 Jedi Master star 3

Nov 30, 2006
    Yep, this is the most positive news to come out of this announcement bar none.

23. The Hellhammer

The Hellhammer Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 4, 2012
    Nice.
    Now it would be cool if we get some casting news by the end of the month.

Krueger, Dra--- and Darth Chiznuk like this.
  24. Bazinga'd

Bazinga'd Saga / WNU Manager - Knights of LAJ star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 1, 2012
    Assume too much, you do.

Yanksfan, kubricklynch and T-R- like this.
  25. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    Is it sad that I became a bit misty eyed when I read through the article? :p We may have taken the timeline and shooting date for granted but to get official confirmation was truly exciting! And "familiar faces" can only mean one thing... It's set 30 years later and the Big 3 are back! Those recasting rumors can now go the way of the dodo. :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.