Official Info Filming Announcement -- May 2014

Discussion in 'Star Wars: Episode VII - Spoilers Allowed' started by -polymath-, Mar 18, 2014.

1. thecurseofchris Jedi Master

star 1
    I'd much rather see Dantooine than Tatooine.
    Han Burgundy likes this.
  2. Palpatine2016 Jedi Grand Master

star 3
    Instability and danger?
  3. Darth_Zidious Force Ghost

star 4
    I've been assuming Disney will spend less on these movies than Lucas did (inflation adjusted). No?
  4. Gallandro Chosen One

star 4
    markdeez and Mystery Roach like this.
  5. I Are The Internets Chosen One

star 7
    I keep getting all of these Ishtar flashbacks.
    RobShanti and Gallandro like this.
  6. Mystery Roach Chosen One

star 4
    Yeah THR said their sources told them that Tunisia is currently too dangerous for a large-scale production so they had to go elsewhere for Tatooine.
    Last edited by Mystery Roach, Apr 11, 2014
  7. RobShanti Force Ghost

star 3
    I thought I had read that somewhere.
  8. solo77 Force Ghost

star 5
  9. Gallandro Chosen One

star 4

Suggest you read this:

http://www.ctc.usma.edu/posts/religious-violence-in-tunisia-three-years-after-the-revolution

Some recent bits of info:

In October 2013, a few days after the start of the National Dialogue, a suicide bomber attacked a hotel resort in Sousse, while authorities barely averted another attempted suicide bombing on the mausoleum of Tunisia’s first President Habib Bourguiba.[14] The attack in Sousse marked the first suicide bombing in Tunisia since the Djerba attack in 2002. Most recently, on February 16, 2014, suspected Islamist militants killed two policemen in the Jendouba area of western Tunisia.[15] These incidents clearly indicate that religiously-motivated violence in Tunisia is not only on the rise, but that attacks are increasingly organized.

Of course the locals are going to tell you everything is fine, they don't want to lose the business. No major film company is going to shoot there when there are other options available. UAE has some ridiculous kickbacks to companies that shoot there, in addition you have access to high tech facilities in Abu Dhabi.

Yancy
  10. Serpico Jones Jedi Grand Master

star 3
  11. solo77 Force Ghost

star 5
    Yeah I know about that one. A one off, hundreds of miles from any SW locations. More people are killed in the UK everyday.

BTW the guy was a pretty useless suicide bomber. Security wouldn't let him onto the resort so he blew himself up on the beach away from people, not the sharpest tool in the shed shall we say.

I can understand there concerns if governments are warning against. From my own personal experience it wasn't a problem, but perhaps for a high profile American film crew it's not worth the risk. Such a shame, beautiful country and the real home of SW.
  12. Gallandro Chosen One

star 4
    I understand your feelings... in many ways I feel the same. But Disney's insurance adjusters simply wont take that risk.

Yancy
  13. SimitarLikeTusk Jedi Master

star 2
    The real home of Star Wars is whatever's portrayed for the 2 hours on screen. Tatooine could be replicated anywhere. They literally just shot on an empty desert
  14. Luukeskywalker Chosen One

star 4
    I am a bit confused. Didn't THR report just this week that they are building an extensive recreation of the Tatooine set in Morocco, which seemex to mesh with a report by Hitflix or one of those sites that filming was starting in Morocco on May 14. Now THR is reprting that filming is going to happen in UAE fot Taooine in mid May. Which is it?

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk
  15. Momotaros Force Ghost

star 4
    Yes they did say that. THR been all over the place lately on VII news. Got the old link here.. http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/star-wars-episode-vii-filmmakers-694620
    Last edited by Momotaros, Apr 11, 2014
  16. solo77 Force Ghost

star 5
    Having made the pilgrimage to Tunisia to visit the original sets & locations I don't feel like that. I would recommend it if you ever get the opportunity, it will blow you away.
    Hydro spanner Celt likes this.
  17. Darth Punk Force Ghost

star 4
    Immortiss likes this.
  18. TigerCraneFist Chosen One

star 4
    Or that they're hungry? :p
    Darth Punk likes this.
  19. Darth Punk Force Ghost

star 4
    What are the odds, that someone on these boards, phones that number?
    TigerCraneFist likes this.
  20. Darth_Zidious Force Ghost

star 4
    That's their recreation of the Millennium Falcon. Han's made more modifications.
    Sum-Wan and The Hellhammer like this.
  21. A Chorus of Disapproval New Films Riot Deterrent

Manager
    star 7
    Well... we finally know what Tosche Station looks like. I never would have considered it was mobile.
  22. Mange Force Ghost

star 4
    The link doesn't seem to be working... What did the picture show?
  23. Darth Punk Force Ghost

star 4
    this:
    [IMG]
    Mange likes this.
  24. Redfivee Jedi Grand Master

star 2
    I think Luke will be living in isolation on Tatooine at the beginning of EP7 {maybe with the droids}.Then we will find out he tried to rebuild the jedi order but failed so that's why he went into isolation.But of coarse the new threat to the galaxy will bring him out of isolation and the new trio of leads will be who he trains.
    Darth_Zidious and Immortiss like this.
  25. Mange Force Ghost

star 4
    Thanks Darth Punk! :)