main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

~@~Filming fire~@~

Discussion in 'Fan Films, Fan Audio & SciFi 3D' started by Figrin-Dan_Man, Mar 7, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Figrin-Dan_Man

Figrin-Dan_Man Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 4, 2002
    Hey guys...

Is there any good way to film stationary fire? i need it to have a smooth background, so it can't really be on the ground, and obviously not near a wall. Or, is there any sites you know of offering this kind of clip?

I've thought about the tried and true "WD-40 in front of greenscreen" idea, to no avail.

Let me know your thoughts.

Fig

2. PixelMagic

PixelMagic Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 8, 2001
    No dude, you don't want to film it on front of green. Film it in front of a bluescreen or better yet a blackscreen.

3. Ptx

Ptx Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 19, 2000
    Even better use Lightwave, it can generate some beautiful fire.

Want a demo?

Pete

4. agentgonzo

agentgonzo Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 17, 2001
    Go into the middle of a large plane on a cloudy night, build a platform off the ground, and shoot it there at night, so that the dark forms a natural blackscreen. Then when you get to compositing it, you just need to do an additive composite, as the black background will add nothing to the picture. Filming against blue/green screens would not be to good due to the natural and variable transparency of the fire.

5. Figrin-Dan_Man

Nov 4, 2002
    Oh, absolutely. That'd be great. In fact, if you could maybe make like a five-second demo with similar first and last frames, I could prolly just loop that and use it for everything.

You will, of course, be given due credit. Thaks a bundle.

Fig

6. Ptx

Ptx Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 19, 2000
    What resolution?

Also looping will be difficult, how about several small variations you can blend in and out?

I will try and get at least a sample of what it looks like on line tonight. I will post in this thread later.

Pete

7. Figrin-Dan_Man

Nov 4, 2002
    Preferably ver hig, maybe 800 by (Insert proportionate 4x3 number here). But, I don't know your feelings on posting something that heavy, so you may just wanna send me it.

Multiple versions could work, or I could morph the first and last frames.

Thanks for your help.

Fig

8. Ptx

Ptx Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 19, 2000
    I'll do some small QT movies 1st.

JPEG should be ok for final frames I ould have thought, once animated, and especially if compressed for the web.

Why 800 x whatever, and not a TV resolution?

Pete

9. Figrin-Dan_Man

Nov 4, 2002
    That's even better, I just assumed you didn't wanna waste your webspace on little 'ol me.

Are you gonna make the JPEGs too? Cool.

Here's essentially what I need...

A flame that doesn't go outside the boundaries of it's entirely black background. Other than that, make it fairly realistic, and be creative. Have fun. Just don't screw it up. :D

Fig

10. NickLong

NickLong Jedi Master star 4

Sep 29, 2000
    You know Pete, I'd slap Fig if I were you! :p

anyway,

Nick "Shorty" Long

11. Ptx

Ptx Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 19, 2000
    I have uploaded 1 file. I won't have time to create anything new until tomorrow.

You will have to join my Yahoo group.

http://uk.groups.yahoo.com/group/petespad

It's in the files section.

Edit: Quicktime, Sorenson 3, 320x240 @ 25 fps, >600K

Edit 2: I am going to bed, so won't be able to approve your membership tonight (12:05 am here)

Pete

12. JediMasterM

JediMasterM Jedi Youngling star 1

May 13, 2001
    Heyo,
    if you wanted to send it to me, I'd be happy to host it on my server, considering I'd also like to learn how to make realistic looking fire for my fan film.

Luke

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.