main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Filming Techniques and Technologies for the ST

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Momotaros, Aug 22, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TheBBP

TheBBP Force Ghost star 6

Nov 6, 2012

I thought that riding the droid over the lava was a bit much, but that is just me being nit-picky. I really love RotS and think that it sets a great tone.

Darth PJ likes this.
  2. Darth PJ

Darth PJ Force Ghost star 6

Jul 31, 2013
    As far as Hayden is concerned, I think he would have gotten much more love around here if he’d had more of his ROTS persona in the earlier movies. I understand completely the logic behind showing the petulant and awkward Anakin in AOTC... but I think he (the character) is far more interesting in ROTS, which allows Hayden to have a bit more fun with the character. The commendable thing is that without much actual development ‘on screen’, Lucas and Hayden were able to transition the character from one movie to the next (AOTC to ROTS) in quite an organic way... and one gets a real sense (well I do) that this is a much darker, torn and experienced Anakin (post Clone Wars) we see at the start of ROTS. *Lucas/Hamill achieved the same thing with Luke's transition between TESB and ROTJ.

And I think one of the reasons why many fans like (or prefer) Anakin's character in TCWC is that he's actually closer in persona to his ROTS version (the 1st half of ROTS anyway) i.e. more adult, measured and heroic.

3. EviL_eLF

EviL_eLF Force Ghost star 5

Mar 16, 2003
    Hayden's golden moment in AOTC was after he got back from killing the Sand People and was telling Padme what he had done... it was a foreshadowing of what we would see in ROTS. It was chilling!

EHT, TheBBP and Darth PJ like this.
  4. DarthLightlyBruise

DarthLightlyBruise Jedi Grand Master star 5

Feb 11, 2015
    Hayden really did pull those scenes of anger off. If he had a bit more range, he would have been a great Anakin. Alas, the rest of his acting in AOTC and ROTS was pretty flat.

Ganger likes this.
  5. PymParticles

PymParticles Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 1, 2014
    Yeah, I always felt Hayden's best moments were those were he had to exude raw hatred and anger. The scenes were he didn't speak, but emoted through his expressions, were quite often chilling because the look of rage on his face and in his eyes felt real. I wish that authenticity made it into some of his romantic dialogue delivery, but alas.

6. Qui-Riv-Brid

Qui-Riv-Brid Force Ghost star 5

Apr 18, 2013
    Not at all. He was near perfect every single time. The "problem" is that some people mistake the character and the intentions that were realized so well as being a fault in the acting when it's actually a fully intended and realized fault in the character.

Anakin is brash, reckless, arrogant, awkward, naive, angry, full of pride, single-minded but also a fiercely loyal friend who would want to do anything for the ones he loves like Shmi, Padme and Obi-Wan. He knows when he's doing something that is wrong but reacts first then regrets later.

It's happens so often with actors where people don't seem to truly fully realize that these people are actors playing parts and not actually the characters they play on screen.

Tom Baker of Doctor Who has many funny stories where he talks of himself in public and because he played a benign and heroic character people reacted to him very differently than other actors he knew who played "hard men" like touch cops and people projected that into their reactions to them in real like.

Oddly enough this kind of things happens all the time in the acting profession. You get known for some one part and then you get offered all kinds of work that is related to that part. Once Liam Neeson played Qui-Gon he started to get all kinds of mentor roles offered be it Ra's Al Ghul or Azlan or Zeus or whatever. Once he did taken he started getting all of those action roles. If you get tagged as a comedian then you are often one until you do some drama turn then you get that instead. Leslie Neilson of Naked Gun fame was a serious actor for decades in all kinds of parts. Once TNG came out the rest of his career was as a comic actor.

Saga Explorer likes this.
  7. City Councilman Binks

City Councilman Binks Jedi Master star 4

May 7, 2014

[​IMG]

thejeditraitor likes this.
  8. DarthLightlyBruise

Feb 11, 2015
    Frankly, I don't blame Hayden for the parts of his performance that were not engaging. That's all on Lucas' writing and directing. I mean, he turned the great Liam Neeson into an advertisement for anti-depressants, just because the character was supposed to be "calm." Star Wars wins when it paints its story and archetypes in broad strokes. But if you paint personalities with single strokes, there will be boredom.

In the context of the straight jacket he was operating in, I think Hayden did an admirable job.

El_Machete12 likes this.
  9. Stoneymonster

Stoneymonster Force Ghost star 4

May 8, 2002
    I'm confused, what is this thread about again? Is Hayden being used as some sort of visual effect or camera in TFA?

TX-20 likes this.
  10. DarthLightlyBruise

Feb 11, 2015
    Hayden's force ghost falls from the sky and lands on an unsuspecting farmer.

Bennihana likes this.
  11. Darth Nerdling

Darth Nerdling Force Ghost star 4

Mar 20, 2013
    What special effects technique should be used to realize the following if they appear in the sequel trilogy? (choose 1 from each pair)

12. Qui-Riv-Brid

Apr 18, 2013
    That's not the movie I have ever watched.

Obviously the movies I am watching are way better than yours since the Jedi are totally fascinating characters full of multiple and varied personalities and types.

Saga Explorer and Flapjack4 like this.
  13. Grand_Moff_Jawa

Grand_Moff_Jawa Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 31, 2001
    Stop motion wouldn't go over well with today's audience, so for those choices I chose CGI. Where puppets were an option, I picked those.

14. TheBBP

TheBBP Force Ghost star 6

Nov 6, 2012
  15. B99

B99 Force Ghost star 6

Nov 10, 2014
    I don't want to see Stop motion personally...

16. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001

Actually, Nielsen wanted to do comedy for a long time, but he was always offered dramatic roles. After participating in "The Kentucky Fried Movie", he landed the role of Doctor Rumack in "Airplane" which lead to his doing more comedy, which he's always wanted to do. Hence right after "Airplane", he did "Police Squad" and that gave way to "The Naked Gun". Nielsen wasn't type cast. In fact, by his own admission, he felt that all the dramatic roles went against his type, which was comedy.

TK327 and Darth PJ like this.
  17. TX-20

TX-20 Force Ghost star 4

Jun 21, 2013
    A Hayden Christensen is a wooden prop that is used as a stand in for lighting and camera placement so that JJ knows where to put the actors. It is the best for these situations because of its uncanny ability to appear like it is a human being.

18. Danfromumbrella

Danfromumbrella Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 20, 2014
    So people hating the PT is off topic but people praising Haydens anger acting is perfectly okay?

19. Darth PJ

Darth PJ Force Ghost star 6

Jul 31, 2013
    I think there's a tangible difference between baiting and offering an opinion.

20. Qui-Riv-Brid

Apr 18, 2013
    People can hate on Star Wars be it the PT or the OT and in future the new movies all they want to. There are places to do that sort of thing even around here.

The people hating on these things so often seem to do so with no real purpose other than to do that. Why that gives them so much pleasure I don't know. They have a hard enough time understanding and are unable to accept that other people don't accept their "facts" and reject anyone who doesn't share their views as "opinions".

The fact that the prequels are some of the most successful movies of all-time and the movie going public greatly enjoyed them is something they can't fathom.

Just to get this on topic the fact that the practical effects of the PT were who knows how many times that of the OT (10, 15 20 times?) is also something that is seems to be hard to accept.

Even the basic grammar of what is what is gets confused because the terminology like CGI and practical and digital and optical composition are not well known.

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...he-man-with-the-most-oscars-isn-t-even-famous

Today, Muren acts as a supervisor and consultant on major special effects projects, preferring to leave the heavy lifting to the “youngsters.” “I will be adding things to the shows, especially the Star Wars films,” says Muren. Otherwise he declines to reveal much about the highly anticipated 2015 release, The Force Awakens, beyond hinting at visual throwbacks to the original trilogy. “The goal is to give the audience a lot of the feeling that was in original three films, and it may mean using some of the old technology.

Of course old technolgy was never actually left behind in the first place. The ways it was applied was done differently so that the most obvious things like vehicles in space went from being models and motion control to mostly CGI but that was hardly totally abandoned. The motion control work on the PT dwarfs what was done on the OT but that was applied to creating environments and getting shots with miniatures.

21. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    No. The entire idiotic, exhausted, cliche-riddled debate is off topic. Move along, people.

22. Danfromumbrella

Danfromumbrella Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 20, 2014
    Yeah, please stop talking about either of those series.

I personally can't wait to see how they mix Serkis production group with practical effects. I can see them doing combinations that make for some magical stuff. Kinda like " Where the wild things are"

TX-20 likes this.
  23. entourage

entourage Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 18, 2014
    http://collider.com/star-trek-3-script-story-simon-pegg/

Since you and J.J. Abrams are such good friends, what are your thoughts on
    Star Wars?
    PEGG: I’m immensely excited, having been lucky enough to visit the set. I’ve never been on a film set where everyone has been so invested in the material because they are emotionally and intrinsically linked to it, as people who work in an industry that was informed by the original films. Suddenly, they’re back in those environments, seeing those sets again and seeing J.J. work with real physical things, and models and puppets and masks. Also, the new technology will, of course, be involved in it. The original films were always about the cutting edge. They weren’t retro movies. They were very forward-thrusting, technological masterpieces, and as such, there will be that stuff. It’s going to be extraordinary. I’m so excited for people to see it. It’s going to be everything that we wanted 16 years ago and didn’t get.
    It’s so cool because it’s a combination of this vastly different technology with a franchise that makes you feel the wonder of being a kid again.
    PEGG: Totally! I took my daughter to the set, and she met BB-8, the droid you see in the trailer. She sat with him for ages, and just talked to him. The guys were operating it, just off camera, and she was there. I said, “Come on, we’ve gotta go,” and she said, “I just want to spend some more time with him and have another hug.” It’s just a ball with a thing on it, but it’s a testament to that character, how much he’s going to impact on audiences because he’s so full of life. And that goes across, for everything. Also, to see the old staples again is going to blow people’s minds.

24. thejeditraitor

thejeditraitor Chosen One star 6

Aug 19, 2003
    i got what i wanted with the pt. there were tons of sets, masks, puppets, miniatures and real locations.

25. L110

L110 Jedi Master star 4

Oct 26, 2014
    To hell with Pegg. Hypocrite.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.