main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Filming Techniques and Technologies for the ST

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Momotaros, Aug 22, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Othini

Othini Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 6, 2012
    " Iove demoCRAZY" I love the republic. I love the Jedi Council Forums. And i love Star Wars too :).

haha. I did not start this ever so tiring PT vrs OT in here actually, but i would say its almost impossible not to discuss
    Filming Techniques and Technologies for the ST

...without at least bringing in some references from PT and partly OT. [face_dancing]

But lets move on: TFA is going to be filmed by your fathers old Super 8mm camera, sound not synchronized, Dogme 95 style, and directed by a depressed and drunk Lars Von Trier ( who happens to hate animation films, so therefore no CGI), and Luke Skywalker`s only scene will only be available to watch through this...

[​IMG]

2. Hoggsquattle

Hoggsquattle Jedi Master star 5

Feb 7, 2009
    Othini

No, you didn't that tiring versus debate, I didn't mean to imply that you did. I just thought that the references you made would lead to a further slide into it and we can't have that. ;)

I disagree that discussing the technology available to the ST requires any direct references to to the previous films. There were plenty of people in the discussion and the majority were talking about the topic without mentioning any particular movie, Star Wars or others.

3. Heero_Yuy

Heero_Yuy Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 28, 2000
    If people can still handle and enjoy the dated aspects of Ray Harryhausen's stop motion work, a few matte lines here or there in the OT should be a piece of cake.

Keep in mind, Harmy mostly left those changes in his Despecialized Editions because he had little choice since he couldn't find better sources for that footage.

4. Danfromumbrella

Danfromumbrella Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 20, 2014
    There's a charm to stop motion effects and things of that nature. I think that's why people don't want CGI replacing those type of effects.

5. Heero_Yuy

Nov 28, 2000
    Model work has a charm to it too. All practical effects have an inherent charm.

Hell, let's be real. Literally NO ONE had a problem with the effects in the OT until Lucas put that stupid idea in people's heads by tinkering with his films.

kubricklynch and vinsanity like this.
  6. Othini

Dec 6, 2012
    Isolated, you can discuss the ST of course, but i still generally disagree with you. Audio/visual consistency throughout the Star Wars saga films is all about making references to the past and at the same time look forward to what extent the use the technology available today will be handled.

And who says this was pointed at you. You replied though [face_dancing]

DarthLightlyBruise likes this.
  7. DarthLightlyBruise

DarthLightlyBruise Jedi Grand Master star 5

Feb 11, 2015
    I actually like a number of the CGI enhancements in the OT SE, particularly the ones in space, some stuff in Tatooine, and most of the Bespin touchups (The ANH trench run simply looks better in the OT SE, IMO, and despite not great CGI, I prefer the mobile dewbacks to the puppets). But that's because most of these were pretty restrained, and quite well-integrated into the environment. What I didn't like is when Lucas threw a ton of CGI characters in our face - the worst offender being the new singing number in Jabba's palace, but also the dumb fighting robots outside Mos Eisley, and the "Ow, you stepped on my tail!" Jabba in ANH.

8. Qui-Riv-Brid

Qui-Riv-Brid Force Ghost star 5

Apr 18, 2013
    Doctor Who from the 60's to 80's has an inherent charm as well but no one is going to make a show that way again.

Though why this idea of inherent charm seems to be limited to VFX methods that don't cut it anymore I don't know. People didn't come out of the theater in 1977 and say "My that was inherently charming." No they came out saying "That was friggin' awesome!"

I am going to repost this excellent point by EternalHero:

Let's be even more real. Once the prequel's came out everyone would be if they ever saw them on the big screen again.

In part he knew that with the prequels coming that in future going in episodic order would see a major downturn in the visuals. The more pressing thing at the time was that the visual language of movies had gotten so much better than on the big screen all the inherent deficientcies would become far too evident to newer generations.

People don't realize that the majority of the SE's work was invisible to them because it was recompositing the original elements to a modern standard not possible at the time the movies were made.

As I have shown before: (Left OOT, Right SEOT)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

If you saw the original versions of the films on a regular screen nevermind IMAX or at home on a large HDTV they would be very, very "charming"

Now it wouldn't bother me in the least but to the audience's today who are used to the incredible VFX seen since the 90's I think it would take them out of the movies to some degree.

Cult fans like us can watch this old stuff and be fine with it. The general audience doesn't watch cult stuff. That's why it's cult.

9. Pro Scoundrel

Pro Scoundrel New Films Expert At Modding Casual star 6 Staff Member Manager

Nov 20, 2012
    So, what's happening in this thread?
    Same argument as every other day? CHECK.
    Same people having the argument as every other day? CHECK.
    Proof of said people's inability to agree to disagree and move on, confirmed? CHECK.

10. Othini

Dec 6, 2012
    Either you were joking or it was the biggest sarcasm towards OT fans? You just called the original versions of the OT a cult thing more or less. :confused:

Qui - be happy that you can have your prequels like they are. You know as well as me that George would have done a makeover on them, in like 15, 20 years. And no, it would have not been because he was to prove the critiques wrong, its just in his nature, as a filmmaker, as we have seen. He likes to do that. Its his creation. Nobody can stop him from doing that. Except, now, he do not owns Star Wars anymore. But i would liked to have a discussion with you about the PT being flawless if that day had come. And it would have. You know it.

And...haha, just saying, this is a thread about the technology for the ST. As i have been told by other "hobby moderators" [face_dancing]

11. Qui-Riv-Brid

Qui-Riv-Brid Force Ghost star 5

Apr 18, 2013
    If you saw the original versions of the films on a regular screen nevermind IMAX or at home on a large HDTV they would be very, very "charming"

Now it wouldn't bother me in the least but to the audience's today who are used to the incredible VFX seen since the 90's I think it would take them out of the movies to some degree.

Cult fans like us can watch this old stuff and be fine with it. The general audience doesn't watch cult stuff. That's why it's cult.

You do realize that the TPM on BD is a SE right? The original is only available on VHS. The original DVD is not that cut but has additions to it.

I don't know what point you are trying to make. In future when the time comes and they need to adjust the VFX of Star Wars then they should. Star Wars is in a very different place than other movies in regards to it's popularity and watching by new generations and rewatching by previous ones.

In fact it's already happened as Denis Muren points out for the 3D versions of AOTC and ROTS. Though as he said we wouldn't notice anything different outside the obvious transition to 3D itself.

Sorry I thought that you had read my previous posts in full.

12. Darth PJ

Darth PJ Force Ghost star 6

Jul 31, 2013
    Firstly, it was me who cited Jurassic Park. Secondly, you're wrong.

13. Othini

Dec 6, 2012
    In future when the time comes and they need to adjust the VFX of Star Wars then they should.

Qui: Fine, this is your statement and your opinion on that. You speak for yourself and i respect that. But Star Wars belong to generations, old as the new, as you also states. And then some people will disagree on getting them "fixed" over and over. You said todays audience will find the OT..."charming" as you called it, well well. I will prepare my grandson for year 2040, for the charming experience in watching AOTCs somewhat, timeless first generation HD visual surface, shiny and generic.

Oh yes. I read your posts. But i have never seen you make a critical view on, the prequels. Nobody`s perfect you know? Flaws makes character. I am talking about movies, and actually i just by that...talked up the PT a bit. Anyway. Its the wrong thread for this.

14. DarthLightlyBruise

Feb 11, 2015
    I agree that a lot of the OT SE touch-ups improved on the original, especially the removal of the matte lines. But that might make the case that practical effects, cleaned up with CGI, is a perfect combination. You have that tactile quality of a real ship combined with the smoother integration of CGI. To me, the OT:SE, minus some of the added creatures and robots, is the most convincing VFX I have ever seen - right up there with the best stuff on Game of Thrones. That's why I haven't been clamoring too much for Lucas to release the original OT. Yes, I wish he didn't add some of that nonsense, but the OT:SE is easier on the eyes in a lot of places.

I did cite Jurassic Park, here:

And why is he wrong? To us, the CGI in Jurassic Park is more convincing than the CGI in the PT. That's an opinion. Why are people so unwilling to accept the opinions of others on matters as trivial as art and film? If you find the CGI in the PT to be more effective than the CGI in Jurassic Park, that's great. It's not wrong. It's just what you think. I feel differently. Deal with it.

There's almost a "reverse Red Letter Media" effect, it seems. Just because other people are intolerant of your appreciation of the PT, it doesn't mean you need to be intolerant of the opinions of people who prefer the visual style of the OT. Two wrongs, and all that.

And for the sake of all of the poor souls who have had to read these exchanges, I am now going to:

[​IMG]

Satipo likes this.
  15. Heero_Yuy

Nov 28, 2000
    People "intolerant of mah PT appreciation" is literally a complete myth. Having an unpopular opinion doesn't make you victims, ok guys?

Same thing with persecuted Bronies.

kubricklynch likes this.
  16. EternalHero

EternalHero Jedi Master star 3

Feb 17, 2014
    Wow the hypocrisy is flying fast & furious around here.

17. Heero_Yuy

Nov 28, 2000
    Exactly. PT/Saga fans need to stop using their emotional arguments and just discuss things objectively.

18. EternalHero

EternalHero Jedi Master star 3

Feb 17, 2014
    Lol whatever you say ...

Samnz and Thoix Heoro like this.
  19. TX-20

TX-20 Force Ghost star 4

Jun 21, 2013
    Something, something, it's like poetry.

20. Flapjack4

Flapjack4 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 6, 2014
    I find popping on an uplifting piece of music when reading this thread helps soothe the tension. The Jurassic Park main theme on loop is a good one.

21. DarthLightlyBruise

Feb 11, 2015
    OMG, I love the Jurassic Park main theme. So much better than the main theme in the PT!

vinsanity and Flapjack4 like this.
  22. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    Reminder: Everyone please play nice in here.

23. Cyreides

Cyreides Jedi Knight star 2

Feb 19, 2014

Uh, gonna call bs on you speaking on behalf of everyone.

As soon as I grew up and re-watched the OT I had issues with the effects. They're very obvious if you've seen any amount of modern day effects in movies and bother to take your nostalgia goggles off.

24. Arch Stanton

Arch Stanton Jedi Knight star 1

Apr 15, 2014

I like your poster.

25. L110

L110 Jedi Master star 4

Oct 26, 2014
    That´s exactly what we do. And we realy wish the OT-only purists would learn how to do it as well.

Hoggsquattle, Samnz and EternalHero like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.