main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Filming Techniques and Technologies for the ST

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Momotaros, Aug 22, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    Note: Also, your goal in this thread should not be "victory". It should just be to enjoy discussing these things with your fellow posters.

2. LUH-3417

LUH-3417 Jedi Master star 4

May 11, 2001
    [q

You can't shoot Coruscant, Kamino, Geonosis, Theed City, Otoh Gunga, Kashyyyk, Utapau, Mustafar, Mos Espa, Polis Massa etc on Earth. You can't build sets big enough. You can't go to locations save for certain elements of the shots in some cases.

So your solution is what? Don't do it in the first place? Why? TOO MANY practical effects?[/quote]

great its a picture of the prequel sets again. whoopdee doo.
    my problem with the cgi is the era it all came out in, it was the era of cgi like crazy everywhere.
    just because theres some sets made doesnt make up for the awful droid factory, the cgi humans, the clonetroopers, the entire scenes of nothing but animation like watching a cartoon, the cgi jango.

lets be supportive that a few directos lately are starting to try the less is more with cgi and put a lot of time into sets.

3. Darth PJ

Darth PJ Force Ghost star 6

Jul 31, 2013
    Johnson seems to have a very different visual style than Abrams, so I'd posit that his film looks different enough from TFA... it will probably be less "mainstream" for want of a better word. In terms of what that means re. practical sets etc. I'd say they'll probably be similar. Johnson doesn't strike me as a filmmaker wanting to push the boundaries of visual effects, so I'd imagine he'll be more focused on story, and telling that story simply. I just hope there's a compelling story to tell.

4. Danfromumbrella

Danfromumbrella Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 20, 2014
    DarthPJ

how do you feel about the newer rumors that Kylo thinks of himself as vader reincarnated or that he vader himself and has a following of believers like a cult.

5. Pro Scoundrel

Pro Scoundrel New Films Expert At Modding Casual star 6 Staff Member Manager

Nov 20, 2012
    Then everyone on this thread should probably log off. :)

Darth PJ likes this.
  6. City Councilman Binks

City Councilman Binks Jedi Master star 4

May 7, 2014
    Followed by:

[​IMG]

Pro Scoundrel and Darth PJ like this.
  7. Darth PJ

Darth PJ Force Ghost star 6

Jul 31, 2013
    I like the cult element, but not so much the reference to Vader. If he thinks he's reincarnated, it seems more logical to think he'd be Bane or some other ancient Sith rather than the man who brought balance by killing Sidious. They need to be really careful with the Vader element (IMHO), because Kylo Ren will ultimately be compared to him and will ultimately fall short if trying to draw comparison. If anything, the Kylo character needs to distance itself from Vader's character...

8. Pro Scoundrel

Nov 20, 2012
    On the Rian subject, he has already joked about stealing all of Nolan's techniques from Interstellar. I doubt he's actually joking about that.

ShaneP and Chained Prometheus like this.
  9. Chained Prometheus

Chained Prometheus Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 24, 2013

I actually wouldn't be adversed to that. Interstellar itself wasn't a perfect film, largely due to Nolan's habit of over-indulgent monologues, but his techniques in the film as far as special effects go are pretty damn spectacular. I'm really excited to see what Rian Johnson adds to the table with his film. :D

Pro Scoundrel likes this.
  10. Pro Scoundrel

Nov 20, 2012
    Yeah, and technically speaking I wouldn't be surprised if 7 & 8 look quite different. I just wonder how many different set pieces, props, costumes, etc, will get reused between the various films to save money.

Chained Prometheus likes this.
  11. Chained Prometheus

Jul 24, 2013

It'd be great if they could reuse certain props or sets throughout the films, not only to save money, but also for visual consistency. They could always make replicas though!

Pro Scoundrel likes this.
  12. vinsanity

vinsanity Jedi Master star 4

Jan 28, 2013
    There were some news/rumours a while ago that Rogue One was going to re-use some of TFA sets in Pinewood. Would not also be surprised if RJ would do the same thing.

13. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001

I prefer...

[​IMG]

14. titansupes

titansupes Jedi Knight star 2

Oct 30, 2013
    Yeah watching Looper and listening to/reading Johnson's interviews and commentary track, he's very much a practical guy in the same vein as Abrams and Nolan. A 35mm film guy, too. VIII will obviously be very different form TFA in many ways, but I expect the same kind of effects.

15. Eternal_Jedi

Eternal_Jedi Jedi Grand Master star 3

Sep 12, 2001
    The droid foundry was a fairly late addition to the film; it was to have played a much smaller role, but Lucas found the environment so interesting that he added the extended sequence in the last set of pick-up shoots. There wasn't time to build a physical set.

I hope that the ST strikes the right balance between impossible locations that need heavy digital effects and more "Earthy" locations. The latter help keep the film more grounded in reality.

16. Vehgah

Vehgah Jedi Knight star 4

May 8, 2014
    It is?

17. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    It is what?

18. Chained Prometheus

Jul 24, 2013

The neat thing will be seeing just how differently Johnson's influences will come across in VIII than from TFA. JJ seems to be approaching TFA as doing an updated take on the classical cinematic style that Lucas used in the original film and giving the shots his own little embellishes. I can't really think of any shots in the trailers so far that didn't have any sort of movement at all, aside from the Han and Chewie one at the end of the second teaser. Nothing wrong with that, of course, it's just interesting to notice.

I went back and looked up one of the films that Rian said he was looking at for influence for VIII (Letter Never Sent) and I have a strong feeling that we might see some of the visual aspects of that film might bleed into Rian's work for VIII. Or perhaps that's just a really strong hope on my part, because the bits I've seen so far of LNS are quite simply stunning.

Here's some footage from another film by that same director.

19. DarthLightlyBruise

DarthLightlyBruise Jedi Grand Master star 5

Feb 11, 2015
    Exactly what Peter Jackson kept doing with the Hobbit. Adding in entire sequences well into post-production, and doing them almost completely digital/ green screen (and necessarily rushing them). The extended scenes fighting the dragon in the mountain, for example. In both cases, the decision was a poor one. I mean, do people who really enjoy the PT actually like the droid foundry sequence? If so, I haven't spoken with them yet.

20. DarthLightlyBruise

Feb 11, 2015
    If Rian takes any of his cues from The Letter Never Sent, we'll be in for a visual treat, at the very least. Geeking out just considering it.

Chained Prometheus likes this.
  21. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    Letter Never Sent is gorgeous. I do still seriously want one of the Anthology films to be produced basically in facsimile to a silent German Expressionism film. The more they could make Rogue One resemble Cabinet of Dr. Caligari, the happier I would be. Well, aside from the box office disaster it would become.

22. thejeditraitor

thejeditraitor Chosen One star 6

Aug 19, 2003
    YES.

23. DarthLightlyBruise

Feb 11, 2015
    OK. One. :)

24. Satipo

Satipo Force Ghost star 7

Mar 29, 2014
    That's on a huge set. We actually saw it in the first TMZ leaked pics I think. But I'm sure there was a big green screen at one end of it and many digital elements amongst the many in camera elements. It looks a Hell of a lot better to me than the comparative Jedi cruiser hangar shots from the ROTS trailer, although I'm sure many feel there is no difference. ;)

vinsanity likes this.
  25. thejeditraitor

thejeditraitor Chosen One star 6

Aug 19, 2003
    it has been over 10 years.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.