main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Filming Techniques and Technologies for the ST

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Momotaros, Aug 22, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Satipo

Satipo Force Ghost star 7

Mar 29, 2014
    A Maz reveal would be great.

2. Hoggsquattle

Hoggsquattle Jedi Master star 5

Feb 7, 2009

She isn't "full CGI" though, is she?

EDIT: I'd appreciate a warning if the images are of Nyong'o in full alien glory. I want try leave that reveal until the film. However, I do want the magazine.

3. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    She'll apparently be motion capture, ala Gollum.

4. Hoggsquattle

Feb 7, 2009

Yes, that is what I thought, and supposedly it is she who is handing Leia the lightsabre in Teaser 2 - since her arm is (I believe) her actual arm, I took this to mean that the character is only partially CGI., e.g. the head and tail (IF there is one).

Also, on a technical note is motion capture like Golloum, Maz and Caeser considered "full CGI", because isn't Jar Jar in TPM a full CGI creation and not motion capture at all?[face_thinking]

5. EHT

Sep 13, 2007
    [​IMG]

"George Lucas used it to create Jar Jar Binks in the 'Star Wars' prequels -- Ahmed Best acted on the set opposite the other performers while wearing a special suit with markers, which was then used to create the digital rendering of the character."
    HERE

6. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001

They never react to anything? So what about when the ion shields switch off and the bits of lava come raining down on them, forcing the two of them to stop fighting and take cover before resuming? The lighting? They're standing on a world filled with magma. They're going to look like that.

Do you want to film over actual lava?

Everyone thinks something is fake. You think that the PT invented that? People looked at the Rancor and the Taun Taun and cried fake!

KenW, Saga Explorer and JoshieHewls like this.
  7. Pro Scoundrel

Pro Scoundrel New Films Expert At Modding Casual star 6 Staff Member Manager

Nov 20, 2012
    Well that was a good catch-up read. You guys never disappoint. Endlessly entertaining and dramatic. I'll be back for the late show.

8. SgtTimBob

SgtTimBob Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 5, 2014
  9. EHT

Sep 13, 2007
    If there's a late show of that, some of the actors could find themselves taking a break. ;)

10. CEB

CEB Force Ghost star 5

Dec 3, 2014
    darth-sinister - what I mean is that it doesn't feel like they react appropriately to their surroundings - yes, there are moments designed to be reacted to, and the actors duly react, but it's always slightly off. To me, anyway.

However, this thread hasn't gone on as long as it has by people accepting that others have different points of view, so I won't push the point - I suspect that my appetite for watching special features and analysing to death has ruined some CG shots for me, and I would rather not have the issues I do - I'd compare the people with my point of view to the audiophiles who insist that music is unlistenable if you don't have £1500 cables; if when watching AOTC you genuinely don't have an issue with the CG, then fair enough.

11. Latrine

Latrine Jedi Master star 1

Jan 3, 2001
    Sorry, I dozed off for a second there. I made it to something about degrees or something. I think I'll go watch Bram Stoker's Dracula and not worry about the lack of 360 degree cartoon sets.

12. Artoo-Dion

Artoo-Dion Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 9, 2009
    But we're not really talking about "fake". All movies are "fake" in some sense. It's about believability.

13. thejeditraitor

thejeditraitor Chosen One star 6

Aug 19, 2003
    i'm so glad i've ignored certain people. now i don't even see most of the arguments. anyways the effects people find acceptable changes with time. i think the ot and pt still look great.

14. KenW

KenW Jedi Knight star 4

Jan 25, 2015
    Mesa toosa.

thejeditraitor likes this.
  15. Hoggsquattle

Feb 7, 2009

Yes, I knew Best was on set but I thought it was only as a frame of reference for the other actors and that ILM created Jar Jar completely in the computer, programming him with Best's movements.

I thought the motion capture wasn't used until AotC. I'm going have to go over the special features again someday soon - I'm forgetting everything :p

16. KenW

KenW Jedi Knight star 4

Jan 25, 2015
    I'm glad they allowed pics to be taken of Lupita with the motion capture rig on, because they really need to stop advertising this movie as a return to practical effects. It's causing all this infighting. There is going to be a ton of CG in this film, as JJ once said. I do wish Lucasfilm would put an end to this and showcase more of the practical effects of the PT in their social media posts.

ILM always does a great job. None of us would be hired for them. Well, almost none. We are all armchair critics.

There's more to discuss about aesthetic, which is just a matter of personal taste. The aesthetic of the new movie looks like a departure from 1-6 to me. The new designs (overall) look like ones Lucas would have discarded. But that's got nothing to do with the tech. ILM tech is always cutting edge.

17. Artoo-Dion

Jun 9, 2009
    Seriously, Andy Serkis was announced a year ago. At that point it was clear that there'd be at least one mo-capped character in TFA. This wasn't a secret.

Pro Scoundrel likes this.
  18. Hoggsquattle

Feb 7, 2009

No one at Lucasfilm or Disney are advertising the movie as a return to any kind of VFX.

The cause of "infighting" is a bunch of nerds just upsetting themselves and the press desperate for attention by banging on about "practical effects" and that is not Kennedy, Iger or Abrams problem.

Now, regarding Nyong'o, is she in the magazine in just the tech gear, and not as the alien character?

19. thejeditraitor

thejeditraitor Chosen One star 6

Aug 19, 2003
    yeah they used mo-cap in tpm with jar jar's foot stuck to the droid body. also gungans fighting droids.

KenW and Hoggsquattle like this.
  20. LANDO_ROCKS

LANDO_ROCKS Force Ghost star 5

Nov 28, 2002
    I still doubt he's actually playing a mo-capped character, Uber is supposed to look 'zombie-like' that could just be make-up.

After all he's doing more non-mo cap stuff these days like Age Of Ultron.

21. Artoo-Dion

Jun 9, 2009
    Even so, his company is involved. My point is really just that nobody expected TFA to be CGI-free, despite the endless strawmanning by people like KenW.

22. LANDO_ROCKS

LANDO_ROCKS Force Ghost star 5

Nov 28, 2002
    Oh yeah, for sure.

23. Hoggsquattle

Feb 7, 2009

I wouldn't say "more" - he has always done live action, it is just that there is a lot of mo-cap project on his plate recently - and forthcoming.

His few minutes in Age of Ultron were great - looking forward to him coming t it again.[

quote="Artoo-Dion, post: 52366559, member: 1353765"]Even so, his company is involved. My point is really just that nobody expected TFA to be CGI-free, despite the endless strawmanning by people like KenW.[/quote]

It is hardly surprising that the topic keeps coming back up here. The media are constantly droning on about the whole "practical" thing, even sites that know nothing about it, and fans come back here to express annoyance** - I'd imagine Abrams himself must be bored by the same questions over and over on the topic.

** Fans shouldn't let it annoy them, but some people do pay too much heed to things said on the internet.

24. KenW

KenW Jedi Knight star 4

Jan 25, 2015
    I don't think most people expected a full CGI speaking character either, with the way they were talking.

25. Artoo-Dion

Jun 9, 2009
    Really? Given the presence of the Imaginarium announced almost a year ago?

Edit: Here you go, 28 June, 2014...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.