main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Filming Techniques and Technologies for the ST

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Momotaros, Aug 22, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Satipo

Satipo Force Ghost star 7

Mar 29, 2014
    That's a very valid point re Max - though I still think the emphasis on actual stunts wherever possible is relevant. I concede the point on chases vs outer space etc. where I do think TFA will score highly in reviews and with audiences though is the emphasis on practical where possible. I appreciate you largely believe this to be lip service, but I believe the proof will be in the pudding upon release and a return to a more tactile approach will be broadly praised.

However when you cite the Hobbit, you're into way too much Digital for my liking, and I say that as someone who could watch the various processes they used for days. I think it must just come down to a taste thing in the end.

2. Darth PJ

Darth PJ Force Ghost star 6

Jul 31, 2013
    For me it's about story first and then second, how well that's translated to the screen. In terms of The Hobbit, I saw 'Five Armies' in IMAX and I thought it was completely immersive... but that's obviously helped by the immersive nature of IMAX and the quality/resolution of the actual print (which is the clearest viewing experience I've seen to date). In terms of The Lord of the Rings, I don't know the amount of effects shots involved off the top of my head, but the film that stands out as being the best (for me) is Return of the King, which I believe had the biggest, and most expansive visual effects of the entire trilogy... the amount of effects isn't why I have preference for it, but is indicative of the fact that it's less important to me in the overall scheme of things...

TX-20 and Satipo like this.
  3. Satipo

Mar 29, 2014

Sure, I completely agree. If you ask me which I'd rather they get right for TFA it would be script first, everything else after. I do think that the FX play a key role in drawing you into whatever story and worlds are being shown, but obviously people will be ultimately more forgiving of any visual techniques if they are fully invested in the story and the characters.

4. AndyLGR

AndyLGR Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 1, 2014
    For me that has been one of the downfalls of many of the recent big comic book blockbusters, great effects, but a story and characters that are not interesting enough and that you don't particularly care about.

lovelikewinter, Darth PJ and Satipo like this.
  5. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    Agreed. If the movie feels like an advertisement for the hardware and software used to create the effects, there's a problem.

I like CGI, but it has to be done well and it has to be used responsibly. Effects should be all about balance (CGI and practical, etc.), and the movie itself should also find a balance between effects, story, characters, etc.

6. LUH-3417

LUH-3417 Jedi Master star 4

May 11, 2001
    so opinion? will things get worse or better with blockbusters? are we passing through this phase? or will it be like idiocracy someday?

dont want to sound too nostalgic but i swear things were balanced better 15-20 plus years ago. theres not very often i feel an attachment to the characters in movies. could be my age too so i'm not discounting that possibility.

7. Strongbow

Strongbow Force Ghost star 5

Nov 6, 2014

Very true. In general, the effects should always serve the story, though some effects driven "wow!" shots are permissable if they are well executed and integrate well into the story.

Satipo likes this.
  8. Satipo

Mar 29, 2014
    Yeah, it's a fine line. And jaw-dropping fx and subtle world building and great storytelling are in no way at all mutually exclusive and when you get that combo right you unlock a huge part of the SW appeal.

Strongbow likes this.
  9. thejeditraitor

thejeditraitor Chosen One star 6

Aug 19, 2003
    At a certain point, watching droid armies being whacked to pieces begins to yield diminishing returns.

there was a point to this though.

Andy Wylde likes this.
  10. Rookhelm

Rookhelm Jedi Master star 4

Sep 22, 2014
    for a low budget movie (I'm assuming it was low budget), the CG in Ex-Machina was flawless for the most part. There's a few seconds here and there when dealing with skin, but the robot as a whole was completely convincing to me.

11. lovelikewinter

lovelikewinter Jedi Knight star 4

May 28, 2014

Like Avengers AOU? It was crap blowing up and one liners the whole time. This is why Star Wars going a bit old school will shock and awe. Its going against the grain.

12. DarthLightlyBruise

DarthLightlyBruise Jedi Grand Master star 5

Feb 11, 2015
    It also looked terrible. Whedon has absolutely no interest in cinematography, it seems.

Immortiss likes this.
  13. AndyLGR

May 1, 2014
    Its easier for me to say the exceptions which I enjoyed, The Nolan Batman trilogy and Iron Man 1.

14. Darth PJ

Jul 31, 2013
    I'm not sure it is "going against the grain" to the extent being discussed here. I don't believe we'll see any set pieces in TFA that will rival MM:Fury Road for that sense of 'realism', because it looks like, from spoilers and trailers thus far, that the big TFA set pieces will be big visual effects set pieces.

Andy Wylde likes this.
  15. AndyLGR

May 1, 2014
    I don't want my comment to be taken as practical effects vs cgi effects. I was purely talking about some of the big comic book films where for me story and characterisation seem to be sacrificed arguably for showing huge action set pieces and effects on screen instead.

I don't think it matters how how effects are achieved on screen for TFA as long as it looks good, but going back to the discussion prior to my quoted post it was in relation to story and characters being more important than just showing shedloads of effects and setpieces on screen.

16. Darth PJ

Jul 31, 2013
    Yeah I agree with you... I personally thought the better moments of Avengers AOU were not the set pieces, but the quieter, character driven moments.

17. Pro Scoundrel

Pro Scoundrel New Films Expert At Modding Casual star 6 Staff Member Manager

Nov 20, 2012
    Artoo-Dion , Dewback, TX-20 and 4 others like this.
  18. darksideDINO

darksideDINO Jedi Knight star 1

Apr 18, 2015
    Imagine the commitment of the effects crew who gave us endless, glorious moments of childhood memories!?

Now, imagine a new crew, dedicated to replicating the methods of almost 40 years ago, step by step. Using a tried and tested technique that brought the OT to life. Real model ships, filmed frame by frame... then digitally enhanced!

On 35mm...oh my lord!

19. Bobby Roberts

Bobby Roberts Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 24, 2014
    Pro Scoundrel likes this.
  20. darksideDINO

Apr 18, 2015
    Seen this last week. Excellent film. A big, dumb smack in the face!
    As for practical vs CGI, I'm for the latter. This film, bar a few obvious scenes will make you question which is which? Isn't that not the way it should be done?

21. Bobby Roberts

Mar 24, 2014
    Nothing about Fury Road is "dumb"

It's a really, really smart movie, in fact.

22. Darth_Zidious

Darth_Zidious Force Ghost star 5

Dec 3, 2001
    It's easier to use less CGI when the subject matter is humans and vehicles in a desert environment on Earth.

23. darksideDINO

Apr 18, 2015
    So we both like the film, yet you wanna argue semantics? Can we not both agree to disagree?

24. Bobby Roberts

Mar 24, 2014
    This isn't a "semantics" debate. The film isn't dumb in the least. Whether you like it or not has nothing to do with why I responded to you. You incorrectly described the film's content.

25. Satipo

Mar 29, 2014
    Fury Road is anything but dumb.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.