main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Filming Techniques and Technologies for the ST

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Momotaros, Aug 22, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rabs

Rabs Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 15, 2014
    I would call it epic. And I know my epics.

2. darksideDINO

darksideDINO Jedi Knight star 1

Apr 18, 2015
    I didn't describe the films content. I gave my opinion that it was an excellent, big, dumb slap across the face...or something like that? Maybe after another viewing I may have time to explore some of it's deeper metaphors or what have you? But for the average movie-goer who want's to be entertained and leave the cinema without having to contemplate the meaning of life...u can't go wrong.

Andy Wylde likes this.
  3. Bobby Roberts

Bobby Roberts Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 24, 2014
    Yes you did. That's what this is:

Which is why I responded "It's not dumb."

I don't know where this "average movie-goer who doesn't want to contemplate the meaning of life" stuff is even entering into it.

4. Pro Scoundrel

Pro Scoundrel New Films Expert At Modding Casual star 6 Staff Member Manager

Nov 20, 2012
    I was actually surprised at how smart Fury Road was. Let's hope TFA is just as satisfying.

5. Satipo

Satipo Force Ghost star 7

Mar 29, 2014
    If TFA is only half as good as Fury Road we'll be OK. I think TFA will make more at the box office, but I'll surprised it it's as good a film TBH.

6. Bobby Roberts

Mar 24, 2014
    While I don't think Abrams is going to be inspired by Miller's blending of CGI and practical, I do think, especially considering what we've seen of the film so far, that we're going to end up with similar approaches to how best to blend the two.

Mindel's cinematography looks pretty slick, as well.

7. hippie1kenobi

hippie1kenobi Force Ghost star 4

Apr 28, 2002
    Smartly made, or actually thought-provoking? The word of mouth I hear is the former, but not the latter.

I'll be honest, the S&M meets Cirque du Soleil look of some of it is a turnoff for me. I trust your opinion (and Satipo) though, so I may give it a shot if you think it is more than a very well executed smash 'em up (nothing wrong with those, but the look of this doesn't appeal to me).

Satipo likes this.
  8. Satipo

Mar 29, 2014
    It's smartly made and thought-provoking, if you want it to be. The story is incredibly simple, and it's told very visually but the themes are just deep enough and the world-building is so immersive that it provides something more than just an action spectacle - and yet the spectacle alone is worth the price of admission.

I've heard people say there's no story, or depth, etc, and I would say those people weren't paying attention. It's actually very elegant (yet brutal and visceral) storytelling.

I personally think it's a masterpiece.

9. Artoo-Dion

Artoo-Dion Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 9, 2009
    Mad Max has always had that aesthetic, and always been an intelligent franchise. Miller knows exactly what he's doing.

10. darksideDINO

Apr 18, 2015
    That is a personal opinion of how I perceived the films content! If I was to incorrectly describe the film's content, I would give you an in-depth review on... 'how that part when the one-armed dwarf blew up that mechanical dinosaur was epic!'

The average movie-goer wants to be entertained and doesn't give a second thought on whether it was smart, dumb or otherwise...as long as it was good!

Andy Wylde likes this.
  11. Satipo

Mar 29, 2014
    Man, if Miller got to do 9 I would be stoked (I don't think he will - my money is on RJ).

12. Artoo-Dion

Jun 9, 2009
    Vader could come back all shiny and chrome.

Luke will live, and die, and live again!

13. Bobby Roberts

Mar 24, 2014
    This isn't true. Stop saying it.

Just because you don't like thinking doesn't mean everyone does.

Pfluegermeister likes this.
  14. darksideDINO

Apr 18, 2015
    My aunt and her friends go to see pretty much every mainstream film every other week, be it action, horror, comedy or whatever's out at that time. They keep going back for more. They still think that 'The Fast and the Furious' is the greatest film ever, and Vin Diesel is their favourite actor...are they all dumb? Are they considered your average movie-goer's? Are they all entertained?

I'd say yes on all three counts ;)

15. Artoo-Dion

Jun 9, 2009
    Immediately after seeing Fury Road, I ran into some women who asked me what I saw. I said Mad Max. Their reply: "I thought it'd be that or The Fast and the Furious--were the women in it scantily clad enough, like they always are in those sort of movies?"

I felt vaguely insulted that it was even compared to The Fast and the Furious.

Mr_Thompson and Pro Scoundrel like this.
  16. darksideDINO

Apr 18, 2015
    Definitely the aesthetics. Watched Thunderdome again recently and some of the wide shots of Bartertown are incredible.

Andy Wylde and Artoo-Dion like this.
  17. Bobby Roberts

Mar 24, 2014
    What you think of your aunt's intellect isn't my business. But liking a movie because it does what it sets out to do pretty well doesn't make you dumb. It means you're critically thinking at it's most basic level.

And the fact they go out every week doesn't make them average moviegoers at all. Average moviegoers don't do that.

18. thejeditraitor

thejeditraitor Chosen One star 6

Aug 19, 2003
    Mr_Thompson and Andy Wylde like this.
  19. Pro Scoundrel

Nov 20, 2012
    That first shot is misleading. According to Tom Hardy it's actually 4 different shots composited together, not cgi.

20. Darth PJ

Darth PJ Force Ghost star 6

Jul 31, 2013
    I think most people conflate or fuse digital compositing with CGI (which may or may not be fair depending on point of view)... and when we discuss CGI in SW, much of what is being discussed is actually digital compositing, with extended digital sets. I find it more straight forward just to refer to them as visual (post production) and/or practical effects (in camera). At least then we are all on the same page... :)

21. darksideDINO

Apr 18, 2015
    So an average movie-goer doesn't go the the cinema about once a fortnight? I never said every week. Actually dunno why I'm bothering... go irritate someone else!

22. Artoo-Dion

Jun 9, 2009
    I'd say not, actually.

bobbyroberts likes this.
  23. darksideDINO

Apr 18, 2015
    Everybody I know that's into films go at least once a month. Some of them who are really into their movies can go more than once in a weekend. All depends on the time of year, I suppose. But on average about twice a month sounds pretty reasonable.

24. EviL_eLF

EviL_eLF Force Ghost star 5

Mar 16, 2003
    Speaking of Fury Road...loved it! Everything before and after the sand storm was awesome...the sand storm scene itself? Yeah...not so much. Should have never been included.

25. Pro Scoundrel

Nov 20, 2012
    Yes to all of this.

Satipo likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.