main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Filming Techniques and Technologies for the ST

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Momotaros, Aug 22, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001

They won't be happy until all of Hollywood has banned CGI.

Andy Wylde and thejeditraitor like this.
  2. Pro Scoundrel

Pro Scoundrel New Films Expert At Modding Casual star 6 Staff Member Manager

Nov 20, 2012
    Well, thanks for playing the hyperbole game. That always keeps the conversation lively.

Dewback, El_Machete12, TX-20 and 4 others like this.
  3. JediKnightWax

JediKnightWax Jedi Master star 4

May 21, 2014
    People are complaining about the poor use of CGI. The kind that you can still tell is CGI. This Mad Max stuff is great.

4. TX-20

TX-20 Force Ghost star 4

Jun 21, 2013
    And the so-called "CGI Haters" also complain about poor practical effects. So it all evens out.

5. KenW

KenW Jedi Knight star 4

Jan 25, 2015
    I've seen every Mad Max on TV, and that's not about to stop. It will be pretty hard for the new one to beat Maurice Jarre as a composer. They don't make them like that anymore. Special effects have gotten more complex, but music has gotten simpler. Therefore cutting edge synergy of audiovisual is now almost solely between sound effects and image, rather than sound/music and image.

Andy Wylde likes this.
  6. Pro Scoundrel

Nov 20, 2012
    Oh well, your loss.

Artoo-Dion , thejeditraitor and TK327 like this.
  7. Artoo-Dion

Artoo-Dion Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 9, 2009
    Anyone "into films" isn't really an "average movie-goer", though. Most people see movies as a fun diversion.

Straight from the MPAA (PDF):
    In other words, the great majority of moviegoers go to the movies infrequently.

KenW, I've now seen two Mad Max movies at the cinema, and Fury Road is a rare example of a movie that demands to be seen in a theatre.

8. darksideDINO

darksideDINO Jedi Knight star 1

Apr 18, 2015
    After the white noise subsided, all I heard was the other 50% go to the movies on average at least once a month!

9. Pro Scoundrel

Nov 20, 2012
  10. Artoo-Dion

Jun 9, 2009
    No, you're reading it incorrectly. If 50% of tickets sold are bought by infrequent moviegoers, that means those tickets have to be spread amongst more people.

Imagine that Alice goes to see one movie a month on average, totalling 12 tickets per year. Her six friends all go to the movies twice a year--their combined total is also 12 tickets per year. In this scenario, Alice, the frequent moviegoer, accounts for 50% of tickets sold yet is only 14% of the population in her group of friends.

11. thejeditraitor

thejeditraitor Chosen One star 6

Aug 19, 2003
    no! no math problems on the internet!

darksideDINO likes this.
  12. Bobby Roberts

Bobby Roberts Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 24, 2014
    All this because dude doesn't want to cop to being wrong about Fury Road.

Pro Scoundrel likes this.
  13. darksideDINO

darksideDINO Jedi Knight star 1

Apr 18, 2015
    My brain's really hurting! I'll give you that argument because I totally didn't understand a word you just said? Hahaha

14. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    What if Alice is in a train heading west at 50 miles per hour, and her friends get in a train one hour later heading east at 60 miles per hour?

15. PymParticles

PymParticles Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 1, 2014
    Then...Alice and her friends are both on trains, assuming Alice didn't reach her destination before her friends got on theirs.

...right? Nailed it.

Artoo-Dion and EHT like this.
  16. Artoo-Dion

Jun 9, 2009
    Even on a Star Wars message board, I'm still the meganerd amongst my peers. ;)

EHT likes this.
  17. Pro Scoundrel

Nov 20, 2012
    [​IMG]

18. Qui-Riv-Brid

Qui-Riv-Brid Force Ghost star 5

Apr 18, 2013
    http://www.blastr.com/2015-6-1/mad-...whats-real-and-whats-not-those-epic-vfx-shots

This is the exact kind of "CGI" that TFA is going to have and far more:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The problem with that is that as we know they so often can't tell what is "CGI" and what isn't. There are just so many things that are "CGI" in movies that are things that people would never suspect are just as they are so many things that are "practical effects" that they would never guess are because they assume that today it's "CGI"

For some any CGI at all is no good:

http://www.reddit.com/r/TrueFilm/comments/2tf63j/was_anyone_else_bothered_by_american_snipers_use/

One element of the film that bothered me the most was its poor, and overuse, of CGI.
    For instance the film has a very effective opening scene. We see the grit and destruction of this war torn setting, and we're introduced to this tense moment of human drama. We are then thrust back in time at the sound of a gunshot. What follows is this very unnatural looking computer generated deer being shot and falling to the ground like it was some kind of arcade game. Even when it is dead we are treated to its CGI carcass. Couldn't they have at least gotten the prop guy to get a stuffed deer and have it lay on some tall grass? There are numerous ways Eastwood could have made this scene more effective, but there is a laziness and lack of quality control throughout the entire film (this extends past its poor use of CGI)

Throughout the rest of the film we are treated to CGI helicopters, blood, bullet strikes, muzzle flashes, sandstorms, and even an aerial shot that seemed entirely rendered on computer. All of this lead to a war film that was much less gritty and real than it should have been.

Andy Wylde likes this.
  19. TX-20

TX-20 Force Ghost star 4

Jun 21, 2013
    I really wish CG muzzle flashes weren't a thing. They never look right.

DarthLightlyBruise likes this.
  20. Pro Scoundrel

Nov 20, 2012
    CG blood is usually worse.

21. DarthLightlyBruise

DarthLightlyBruise Jedi Grand Master star 5

Feb 11, 2015
    I'd like to see him at least do the Solo-Fett film, if that gets made.

Satipo and Artoo-Dion like this.
  22. Qui-Riv-Brid

Apr 18, 2013
    You prefer the cell animation ones used on just about every film for decades before they did them with CGI animation?

Andy Wylde and thejeditraitor like this.
  23. LUH-3417

LUH-3417 Jedi Master star 4

May 11, 2001
    i think i prefer the ones that use blanks and real fire. isnt that what was used a lot in movies?

24. Qui-Riv-Brid

Apr 18, 2013
    Not really.

In reality the "muzzle fire" goes by too fast and isn't captured by film all the time.

That's why they used constantly used animation to make them look good as well as of course sound effects to make the guns sound far better than they really sound.

Andy Wylde likes this.
  25. LUH-3417

LUH-3417 Jedi Master star 4

May 11, 2001
    i knew that guns dont sound as cool as they do in real life, but all the muzzle flashes from old movies are animation? are you sure?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.