main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Filming Techniques and Technologies for the ST

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Momotaros, Aug 22, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CEB

CEB Force Ghost star 5

Dec 3, 2014
    Having stayed off this thread for a while to observe, there's one main reason this thread keeps getting derailed.

2. cameron.osborn

cameron.osborn Jedi Knight

Nov 17, 2014
    I wonder how the 3D conversion will turn out for this movie. Because the 3D in the last teaser looked pretty good when I saw it in the theater.

DaddlerTheDalek and Krueger like this.
  3. Darth PJ

Darth PJ Force Ghost star 6

Jul 31, 2013
    I haven't seen a 3D trailer myself, but would imagine that the conversion would look good.

4. EviL_eLF

EviL_eLF Force Ghost star 5

Mar 16, 2003
    I wish they'd just not do 3D at all.

TooMuchBBQ, TX-20, vinsanity and 2 others like this.
  5. Darth PJ

Darth PJ Force Ghost star 6

Jul 31, 2013
    I don't think there's anything wrong with conversions per se. I'd rather a retrospective conversion than something specifically made with 3D in mind.

6. Krueger

Krueger Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2004
    I saw the trailer in 3D when I went to watch Ant-Man. It did look quite good, for the most part. Funnily enough, the best 3D effect was Kylo’s lightsaber when he swings it down. Looked really cool.

7. vinsanity

vinsanity Jedi Master star 4

Jan 28, 2013
    [​IMG]

I just love the look of this shot, specially the lightning, of course 95% of the troops and the vehicles and the Tie-Fighters are most likely CGI, the mountains and sky probably plate shots of the Iceland shooting or CG created but it looks awesome. Another fantastic blend of all techniques.

TX-20, thejeditraitor and Satipo like this.
  8. Satipo

Satipo Force Ghost star 7

Mar 29, 2014

Agreed - it looks like the best of all worlds. Great image.

TX-20 and thejeditraitor like this.
  9. AndrewPascoe

AndrewPascoe Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 26, 2014
    Actually the imaging got me thinking. With all the talk being can it be done old school with updated tech my mind wondered if it could be a matte painting similar to the hangar bay for Palpatine's arrival at the Death Star. Probably not but yeah just a thought.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

10. DarthPhilosopher

DarthPhilosopher Chosen One star 6

Jan 23, 2011
    It could be a matte painting - almost definitely a digital painting however, not a traditional matte. This is actually done in essentially every modern blockbuster.

Mr_Thompson and Andy Wylde like this.
  11. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    I'd agree with the digital matte sentiment. Probably a small handful of extras in armor were "cut & pasted" into an environment created with various plate shots. Although, the thought of them somehow getting thousands of extras onto a fabricated platform of that size in the Swiss Alps just to get a 30 second shot is appealing to the unrealist in me.

thejeditraitor likes this.
  12. thejeditraitor

thejeditraitor Chosen One star 6

Aug 19, 2003
  13. Qui-Riv-Brid

Qui-Riv-Brid Force Ghost star 5

Apr 18, 2013
    A matte painting is a matte painting is a matte painting.

The tools evolve but the function is the same.

A matte painting is a painted representation of a landscape, set, or distant location that allows filmmakers to create the illusion of an environment that is nonexistent in real life or would otherwise be too expensive or impossible to build or visit.

Exactically!

Andy Wylde likes this.
  14. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    A matte painting:
    [​IMG]

Also a matte painting:
    [​IMG]

Also a matte painting:
    [​IMG]

They continually alter the methods used to achieve them but, as was stated above, a matte painting is a matte painting is a matte painting.

EviL_eLF and TX-20 like this.
  15. ThreeDeathstickProblem

ThreeDeathstickProblem Force Ghost star 5

Sep 25, 2014
    If there hadn't been smoke in the lower right of the shot I would have thought the whole image was a still. Even the actors in the foreground don't seem to move.

It'll be interesting to see the breakdown on these shots, what's physically on set, what's second unit location background layered with pure CG background, etc.

16. DarthPhilosopher

DarthPhilosopher Chosen One star 6

Jan 23, 2011
    Are you trying to suggest I didn't know that? Or are you reinforcing my point?

17. Qui-Riv-Brid

Qui-Riv-Brid Force Ghost star 5

Apr 18, 2013
    On the off chance that someone passing by here didn't know the differences I found your quote good for illustrating the point.

Andy Wylde and DarthPhilosopher like this.
  18. A Chorus of Disapproval

Aug 19, 2003
    My favorite, to this day, is the shot of the carriage approaching the castle in Dracula (1931). Looks completely artificial at this point but it is just gorgeous. I don't give a crap if something seems "real" or I would have mentally checked out on Harryhausen films decades ago.

Immortiss, TX-20, FRAGWAGON and 2 others like this.
  19. ShaneP

ShaneP Ex-Mod Officio star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 26, 2001
    I love how practical they're going on this movie. Look at that First order shot with thousands of costumed extras and those massive full-scale vehicles. I hope the cast and crew were warm enough in that arctic environment as it can be very cold.

20. A Chorus of Disapproval

Aug 19, 2003
    "We are shooting in a tundra! A real tundra!"

Mr_Thompson, ShaneP and Qui-Riv-Brid like this.
  21. PymParticles

PymParticles Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 1, 2014
    All I need is for an effect to be executed and integrated into the film well enough for me to believe in it; it doesn't need to be real. None of this is real, and it's not remotely realistic. We all know Yoda is a puppet in The Empire Strikes Back, but all of the components that go into making the character come to life work so well that I believe in him as a living thing when he's on screen. That's all I want from the effects in this movie, whether they're CGI or practical or some combination of the two; I just want to be so sucked in that I believe in what I'm looking at, and I don't want anything to snap me out of that immersion.

Darkslayer, EviL_eLF and TX-20 like this.
  22. ShaneP

ShaneP Ex-Mod Officio star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 26, 2001
    I've also heard through my connections that ILM is developing practical laser blasts that can be shot at stand in dummies. These laser bolts will then be composited into shots. Imagine that, real laser bolts in a fake movie! I mean, that's what it's all about isn't it?

23. starocean90

starocean90 Chosen One star 8

Feb 19, 2014
  24. starocean90

starocean90 Chosen One star 8

Feb 19, 2014
  25. JabbatheHumanBeing

JabbatheHumanBeing Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 14, 2015
    I agree with a lot of this. And I believe most people who are tired of CGI are tired of films that use insane amounts of CGI in an unhinged manner.

Well-integrated CGI is just as good as, and sometimes better than, a practical effect.

And IMO, it's mostly about lighting, not rendering. That's why the original Jurassic Park holds up.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.