main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Filming Techniques and Technologies for the ST

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Momotaros, Aug 22, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CEB

CEB Force Ghost star 5

Dec 3, 2014
    I'm just waiting for someone somewhere to post the phrase "let's agree to disagree", after which this will never need to be discussed again as we all co-exist with our differing views that we respect but don't share.

2. thejeditraitor

thejeditraitor Chosen One star 6

Aug 19, 2003
    as with the clones in aotc... nobody knew. pablo nails it once again.

1. Pablo Hidalgo@pablohidalgo 14h14 hours ago
      Pablo Hidalgo Retweeted Manuel Alducin
      Countdown till some guy online claims he could tell the whole time and it ruined it all for him.
      Pablo Hidalgo added,
      [​IMG]
      Manuel Alducin @malducin
      Black Panther's Suit in 'Captain America: Civil War' Was Created Entirely With #VFX http://www.slashfilm.com/black-panther-suit-created-by-visual-effectsblack-panther-suit-created-by-visual-effects/

3. CEB

CEB Force Ghost star 5

Dec 3, 2014

It's not true about the clones in attack of the clones; we knew in advance that not a single physical clone suit was made and that they were digital. There's disagreement about how well it worked, as there was on release.

4. thejeditraitor

Aug 19, 2003
    incorrect. they only talked about it after the film came out.

5. CEB

CEB Force Ghost star 5

Dec 3, 2014
    Citation needed

KaleeshEyes likes this.
  6. Artoo-Dion

Artoo-Dion Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 9, 2009
    I really can't remember what my opinion was at the time, but it's hardly surprising that a 2016 rotoscoped/mocapped costume looks more realistic than fully digital performers from 14 years ago.

7. PaulWrightyThen

PaulWrightyThen Jedi Knight star 2

Jan 11, 2016
    People keep using that image of Black Panther. I do not think it means what you think it means...

8. thejeditraitor

Aug 19, 2003
    here genius. ignored.

9. PaulWrightyThen

Jan 11, 2016
    Yes, there is a practical suit in shot, and they mocapped it, like they do with Iron Man? Whats your point? They are putting in set extensions. Whats your point? Its all well done and fits really well. The Marvel films have always had a slightly hyper real real look. You aren't showing me anything I don't know. I've seen that photo used twice now where people are like 'See SEE!'.

I do like you calling me a genius. That's flattering. What are you ignoring? I hope it isn't me. That would imply some sort of childish retort to my slightly cheeky Inigo Montoya paraphrased quote.

Life tip (Whispers) don't take yourself so seriously.

ps. Its a good montage video btw. I like it.

KaleeshEyes likes this.
  10. CEB

CEB Force Ghost star 5

Dec 3, 2014

I think the video itself is misleading, in that it (I think) places the digital Black Panther in the greenscreen set, giving the impression that the suit existed practically - I think that the shots in question are just part of the FX reel, and that on the green screen set there was just the actor in the mocap suit with face exposed.

I could be wrong though

11. PaulWrightyThen

Jan 11, 2016
    Either way. Its some great vfx work. Really great. In that video it seems there are shots with a physical helmet. Its like Iron man. He sometimes has a helmet on, sometimes he doesn't. It just depends on the type of shot.

12. Pro Scoundrel

Pro Scoundrel Modercreeper Is Always Watching star 6 Staff Member Manager

Nov 20, 2012
    So, about TFA....

Darth Chiznuk and TCF-1138 like this.
  13. PaulWrightyThen

Jan 11, 2016

Is it not valid to talk about filming tekkers in general? I would have thought all technologies would feed into the discussion. If not, no dramas. :)

14. CEB

CEB Force Ghost star 5

Dec 3, 2014
    I think the interpretation is that bringing up other films and techniques is fine when it informs discussion of the ST, but when the other films become the focus, that's not appropriate for here.

Pro Scoundrel likes this.
  15. Pro Scoundrel

Pro Scoundrel Modercreeper Is Always Watching star 6 Staff Member Manager

Nov 20, 2012
    This.^ Also, when it goes on for days with no mention of the ST.

16. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    When in doubt, check the thread title.

17. PaulWrightyThen

Jan 11, 2016
    Ok, I'm sure that in ST movies they will use similar effects in that, If someone has a tonne of armour on, they will have bits of real armour for reference then mocap the rest as the technique used in Marvel movies has come on so much its getting hard to spot. I would hope for Storm Troopers they would keep using real people in suits and only using mocap or animated ones for back grounds where more are needed. Up close should be the 'hero' versions.

18. SimitarLikeTusk

SimitarLikeTusk Jedi Knight star 3

Mar 10, 2014
    Im under the impression that the Black Panther suit was CGId (as was Spidey's) because he was doing ridiculous acrobatical stunts. A director more intently interested in realism probably could have used a suit/stuntman. Sometimes directors are simply happy leaving action scenes entirely upto a vfx crew so they dont have to worry with them.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.