main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Filming Techniques and Technologies for the ST

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Momotaros, Aug 22, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Darth_Pevra

Darth_Pevra Chosen One star 6

May 21, 2008
    I hope there is little orange and teal syndrome.

2. Grimby

Grimby Technical Consultant & Former Head Admin star 7 Staff Member Administrator

Apr 22, 2000
    I'm pretty sure some of them were added in post at least on the first film, but I could be wrong about that. The point is that they were added specifically to make Star Trek appear more "futuristic" and they have nothing to do with Abrams' choice to shoot on film rather than digital.

3. The Hellhammer

The Hellhammer Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 4, 2012
    Yeah, but we're still all doomed for one reason or another, right?

4. Corvax855

Corvax855 Jedi Master star 3

Jan 23, 2011
    I was actually hoping they would usurp both 35mm and digital and shoot the new movies on 70mm IMAX (for example, the action scenes in The Dark Knight Rises). That's the way to go if you want something TRULY epic.

5. Grimby

Grimby Technical Consultant & Former Head Admin star 7 Staff Member Administrator

Apr 22, 2000
    Hell, if they want to be pioneers, they should shoot on 140mm IMAX film. I mean, if they have to load the reels into the projector with a forklift, the movie has to be good, right?

6. Darth Eddie

Darth Eddie Jedi Master star 4

May 14, 2013
    Lens flares, right, whatever. They probably won't go in for that again. It's the rest of the frenetic camerawork that irritates me. For the most part, the cinematography in SW is simple, simple, simple. Parallel with the ground, panning with the action, continuity of motion, all ingredients of essential clarity. In much of ST or STID, I can't even tell what's going on or what I'm supposed to be looking at, and I just with the camera would sit still or settle down for five goddamn seconds. That kind of stuff is just not in the visual vocabulary of Star Wars, and I hope they realize this.

7. -Jedi Joe-

-Jedi Joe- Jedi Master star 2

May 6, 2013
    Why yes, it does!

8. rezpen

rezpen Jedi Master star 4

May 4, 2010
    For me this is one of Abrams major flaws as a director is he underestimates the patience of the audience. When you have two good actors doing a well written scene you don't need a massive distracting lens flare in the middle of the shot, that doesn't accentuate emotion that pulls you out of it. He seems to worry that unless the camera is moving or there is some other visual effect or distraction we might get bored of just seeing people talk. To me this is why his actors seem so disconnected from each other onscreen and I always feel like I'm getting a superficial cliff notes version of their relationships in his movies.

9. Darth_Pevra

Darth_Pevra Chosen One star 6

May 21, 2008
    We'll see. Shooting an IMAX movie digitally would result in ridiculously large file sizes.

10. ManaByte

ManaByte Chosen One star 5

Aug 20, 1998

The 6:58 minute mark he talks about his love for lens flares.

Vohnkar likes this.
  11. The Hellhammer

Nov 4, 2012
  12. DarthBrian

DarthBrian Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 9, 2002
    Shooting on film is a mistake. Especially after Episodes II and III were shot digitally. Star Wars is about looking forward re:film technology. Not falling back on old habit.

George Lucas said he wants higher framerates for film. Star Tours was done in 60fps digital as well due to the 3D working better and causing less simulation sickness than 24 or even 48fps would. So basically J.J. is going against George's wishes and that is why J.J. needs to be fired. He was a terrible choice in the first place. He didn't even know how to create lens flares until his FIRST movie directing job apparently. How the hell is he being hired so often in the first place? He clearly knows NOTHING about film whatsoever.

I hope Kathleen Kennedy fires this incompetent boob as soon as possible.

13. The Hellhammer

Nov 4, 2012
    :rolleyes:

So this is actually going to be an issue, huh?
    Y'know, "moving forward" does not necessarily awlays mean use the newest shiniest prettiest thing you can. It's more about how you use all the tools at your disposal to make a quality product. If they think shooting on film gets the job done, great, we'll wait and see. If they think it's best to go IMAX or a friggin clay tablet with engravings on it - fine, let's see how it turns out before moaning about it.

14. Grimby

Apr 22, 2000
    George Lucas is about pushing technology forward, not Star Wars. Two completely different things.

15. DarthBrian

Apr 9, 2002
    George Lucas IS Star Wars.

Andy Wylde, kainee, klooney and 3 others like this.
  16. Count Yubnub

Count Yubnub Force Ghost star 5

Oct 1, 2012

Not really, and no.

Andy Wylde likes this.
  17. chris hayes

chris hayes Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 13, 2012
    No problem here , Christopher Nolan only shoots in 35mm too............

18. Darth Claire

Darth Claire Force Ghost star 5

Dec 21, 2012
    Well thats good to know I guess
    Also sorry couldn't resist
    [​IMG]
    :p

19. ManaByte

ManaByte Chosen One star 5

Aug 20, 1998

And IMAX. He does his big action scenes in IMAX. He's shooting Interstellar right now and they already are shooting scenes in IMAX...

20. KED12345

KED12345 Jedi Master star 4

Sep 10, 2012
    IIRC, this will be the first Star Wars film filmed on something other than digital since Episode I. But I can see instead we focus on a totally random comment about lens flares that holds absolutely no context at all to the rest of the announcement.

21. Grand_Moff_Jawa

Grand_Moff_Jawa Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 31, 2001

I, for one, am thrilled this movie isn't being shot in 3D. I've avoided 3D movies for many years, but tried to see the last Star Trek movie in 3D. I lasted about 10 minutes and had to leave, I was so motion-sick. It's too much for this kid. And it's not even realistic 3D, it's that over-the-top 3D being used today. I also love the organic quality of film. I could do either 35mm or digital, it's not a big deal to me. Just keep it 2D!

22. DarthBrian

Apr 9, 2002
    Except them shooting on film PROVES that J.J. will be putting lens flare in the movie. So it's going to look like Star Trek which Star Wars is NOT!!!

More proof that J.J. was a HORRIBLE choice to direct Episode VII. I seriously don't know what Kathleen Kennedy was thinking.

23. DarthBrian

Apr 9, 2002
    If it was shot in 3D, there would still be a 2D option for people who don't like 3D. There's nothing wrong with options.

Andy Wylde and -Jedi Joe- like this.
  24. Grimby

Apr 22, 2000
    Really? What evidence do you have that supports that claim?

25. Chewgumma

Chewgumma Chosen One star 7

Apr 14, 2009

And HFR went down about as well as a lead balloon.

Pushing the technology of film making doesn't always make for a great cinema experience. People who go to the movies shouldn't have to risk suffering eye strain and nausea because cutting edge technology like 48fps and 3D projection have become the norm.

Personally I think film is a great choice when prioritizing 2D production. In my opinion it looks better than digital in 2D and dates better in the long run thanks to home releases.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.