main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Filming Techniques and Technologies for the ST

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Momotaros, Aug 22, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Darth PJ

Darth PJ Force Ghost star 6

Jul 31, 2013
    I think the more interesting thing to consider is what Ep VII will be like with a (potentially) hugely reduced role for Chewie. Chewie, like the droids, is one of the few ageless characters that can be used to bridge trilogies... but anyone who has seen Peter Mayhew of late will appreciate that, from a physical perspective, he can't really do anything but sit/stand still.

Andy Wylde and Darth Raiden like this.
  2. Pfluegermeister

Pfluegermeister Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 30, 2003
    If anything does happen to Peter, I'm sure they could all just shrug and say, "Hey, you know what? Vector Prime is considered canon now, yeah, that's it..." ;)

Jarren_Lee-Saber likes this.
  3. sons_of_anakin_tatooine

sons_of_anakin_tatooine Jedi Knight star 3

Sep 28, 2005

in this case lucas isnt jj is. i really dont think jj would cgi chewie i really dont.

4. David_Skywalker01

David_Skywalker01 Jedi Master star 3

Nov 30, 2006
    Yes but there was also a puppet Yoda used for Episode 1 and then a CG character for Episode 2. Lucas was all about pushing digital technology and would have probably CG'd Chewy, if Peter Mayhew had not been brought back for the fanservice in RotS.

Andy Wylde likes this.
  5. Darth Raiden

Darth Raiden Jedi Master star 3

Aug 28, 2013

If that was the case surely he would have cgi'd both 3-po and R2-D2

Andy Wylde and Jarren_Lee-Saber like this.
  6. David_Skywalker01

David_Skywalker01 Jedi Master star 3

Nov 30, 2006
    Correct me if I am wrong but R2-D2 was CG for much of the last two films, no?

7. TtheForceHurts

TtheForceHurts Jedi Master star 4

Jan 28, 2010
    Go and watch the Making Of of STID. JJ is using practical effects and big sets, whenever possible and to great result.

Darth_Pevra likes this.
  8. Darth Raiden

Darth Raiden Jedi Master star 3

Aug 28, 2013

Really... I didn't even notice :) if so ah well

Andy Wylde and FRAGWAGON like this.
  9. FRAGWAGON

FRAGWAGON Jedi Master star 4

Nov 3, 2012
    Except for that brewery that looks like a brewery.

10. reagan64

reagan64 Jedi Master star 3

Feb 26, 2006
    I'm wondering what the editing will be like. There were some scenes in STID towards the climax where the takes were so short it was physically uncomfortable. My brain just couldn't adjust to the image before it changed again.

Trebor Sabreon likes this.
  11. El Jedi Colombiano

El Jedi Colombiano Chosen One star 6

Jun 24, 2013
    leaving the place!@!!!

12. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    Editing this because El Jedi Colombiano 's edited post is less antagonistic now. Still, the point stands:

More fighting in this thread will lead to bans and/or a locked thread.

13. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    El Jedi Colombiano : Another post edit? Come on, it's hard to keep up. :p Anyway, I was issuing that reminder to everyone, not just you. It's all good.

14. Darth PJ

Jul 31, 2013
    I agree... but that's contemporary style I suppose. I don't particularly like that style (in fact I dislike it), but we have to recognise that younger audiences have been conditioned to respond to a much quicker pace in films now. That's one of the reasons why the new film will be less like the OT than some would hope (IMHO) i.e. things have moved on.

15. FRAGWAGON

Nov 3, 2012
    To hell with conditioned audiences. Maybe it's time for some film appreciation.

16. reagan64

reagan64 Jedi Master star 3

Feb 26, 2006
    I don't mind short takes, I just want them to be measured in seconds rather than milliseconds. Although I will admit the fact that I saw STID in a real 70mm 15-perf IMAX may have exacerbated my discomfort.

17. Darth_Pevra

Darth_Pevra Chosen One star 6

May 21, 2008
    No, Vector Prime is shot out of cannon. :p

Pfluegermeister likes this.
  18. Pfluegermeister

Jun 30, 2003
    What I'd like to do it shoot it with a cannon. [face_sigh]

Darth_Pevra likes this.
  19. Sith-Mullet

Sith-Mullet Jedi Master star 3

Aug 2, 2003
    I want to see J. J. do a whole "claymation" kind of thing. That would look pretty wizard. :)

Darth Raiden likes this.
  20. Nenim Chela

Nenim Chela Jedi Padawan star 1

Oct 2, 2013
    With the ST, I want more of what JJ gave us with shots like that extreme close up of the Starship Enterprise during the opening sequence of "Star Trek: Into Darkness". Whoah. With the exception of the first shot of the Star Destroyer in ANH, I'd never quite seen a fictional object that up close before. The effect was to add a great sense of dimension and scope to the Enterprise that made the story seem more realized than I was expecting, if not necessarily more "real." If JJ can do this with SW it'll be a good thing.

21. Jarren_Lee-Saber

Jarren_Lee-Saber Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 16, 2008
    I would be cool with that. In fact, i would be cool with as much of the EU as possible being left intact. (and cannon)

22. Pfluegermeister

Jun 30, 2003
    I would not. Writing around the existing EU is a sure-fire recipe for writing a bad film.

Mystery_Roach likes this.
  23. Darth PJ

Jul 31, 2013
    I'd disagree because it would be out of keeping, stylistically, with both the OT and PT. Lucas' style in all 6 films is very much to show ships, locales and characters coming into and out of shots... he doesn't linger much... and even the opening to ANH is very kinetic but with a fixed camera... very much in the sensibility of documentary footage. Some of those shots in Star Trek are like JJ just going "feckin' woah!"... which has it's place, but is a little cinematically uncouth for my taste.

24. FRAGWAGON

Nov 3, 2012
    Well said.

Andy Wylde and Darth PJ like this.
  25. BarkingFrog

BarkingFrog Jedi Master star 2

Jan 4, 2009
    CGI Wookiees won't happen, CG fur doesn't look good enough and even if it did it wouldn't be as cost effective as just making a suit

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.