main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Filming Techniques and Technologies for the ST

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Momotaros, Aug 22, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Erevador

Erevador Jedi Knight star 1

Aug 10, 2013
    Cloud Atlas was shot on film, not digital.

Mystery Roach likes this.
  2. Mystery Roach

Mystery Roach Chosen One star 4

Mar 10, 2004
    So it was. I stand corrected. I guess I assumed it was shot digitally after seeing a quote from Lana about digital being the new aesthetic, and the fact that they shot Speed Racer digitally. It just goes to show that it really is getting harder to tell the difference these days.

3. Pfluegermeister

Pfluegermeister Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 30, 2003
    Of course you have! We've had one for a decade or so, and his name is Francis Ford Coppola. Seems like all he does now is filmmaking as a hobby: Youth Without Youth, Tetro, Twixt, these were all hobby movies, and save for the first in that list, I just can't make myself sit through them (and I couldn't even fully tolerate YWY without his commentary track on). He seems to have forgotten that people still need to be able to enjoy WATCHING these things...

Dra--- likes this.
  4. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    I really wish Coppola would go back to making theatrical films again. The last commercial film he did I think was 1996's Jack.

5. Mystery Roach

Mar 10, 2004
    I've loved Coppola's recent output. I think he's at a creative high since returning to filmmaking. And if you understand him, this is really the kind of stuff he always wanted to be doing, much more than his more popular and well-regarded films.

6. Pfluegermeister

Jun 30, 2003
    He directed the first two Godfather films AND Apocalypse Now; I'm sure he's earned the right not to give a flying fart anymore if he doesn't want to. Still, like you, I'd LOVE to see what he can do with a larger budget; I just don't think that anyone's going to offer him one. He's had as many flops as, or more than, his successes - it's just that his successes are so sterling that they manage to eclipse most of his failures in the eyes of film fans like us.

7. Ganger

Ganger Force Ghost star 4

Dec 9, 1999
    Add "The Conversation" to that list. What a movie! It also has a Pre-Star Wars Harrison Ford.

Immortiss likes this.
  8. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    A friend and I were discussing this the other day. How "The Conversation" never seems to be part of The Conversation...

9. Ganger

Dec 9, 1999
    It's an amazing film. I only became aware of it a few months ago and saw it on Netflix. Great movie. It's funny how Lucas and Coppola shared actors in that time. This movie has the girl from American Graffiti, Robert Duvall (THX and of course Tom Hagen) and Harrison Ford.

10. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    I think that something that is missing in the modern "industry" that I, personally, always found to be interesting was being able to gauge who went to film school with who. There was something about that crop of Carpenters and the Lucases and Coppolas all seemed so obviously cut from the same cloth that, even when they were working in quite disparate genres, it was obvious that they all stemmed from the same inspirations and idea of film.

11. Ganger

Dec 9, 1999
    Probably friendship had a lot to do with it. These guys were all friends and they were all very honest with Star Wars' first cut, Lucas intentionally showed them an unfinished product, he made them part of the process.

Collaborations worked very differently in the 70s, the same happened with rock bands. There were much fewer "household names" when it cames to directors and musicians. They all knew each other, would swap band members and would imitate styles as a form of flattery.

All of this happened in the dawn of demographic corporate style of film making and music production, so each artist could stroke the canvas in any way they wanted. Maybe they didn't have final cut or the labels marketed the products unilaterally but still, that first artistic impulse was there.

Imagine this bearded out of shape hippie making a big studio movie, the only way he could keep his vision (and his job) was to elude the studio execs when they visited the set. That was Coppola making The Godfather. Much simpler times.

I LOVE the 70s.

FRAGWAGON likes this.
  12. A Chorus of Disapproval

Aug 19, 2003
    That is the image I have of that era, too. All arrived from differing starts, but then discovered their shared childhoods of Famous Monsters of Filmland and Hawks' films, etc. which made them cross-invest in each other's endeavors. There was such a shared atmosphere that existed within numerous, otherwise unrelated, films.

Ganger likes this.
  13. Ganger

Dec 9, 1999
    The Empire of Dreams docu has a great first hour dedicated to the 70s filmmaking scene and ANH. It's a very fun rewatch for me, that first part.

14. I Are The Internets

Nov 20, 2012
    Such a great thriller and man that ending.

Mystery Roach and Ganger like this.
  15. Darth PJ

Darth PJ Force Ghost star 6

Jul 31, 2013
    I'm not sure if the film 'industry' was any less autocratic in the 70's... but I think there was, in an attempt to save themselves from the increasing popularity of television, a willingness to give more experimental filmmakers the time of day. The 70's produced some really groundbreaking films... :)

16. Pfluegermeister

Jun 30, 2003
    If you don't already have the director's cut of THX-1138, you might want to get it because it has a documentary called A Legacy of Filmmakers: The Early Years of American Zoetrope. I'm not going to swear to this in court, because although I have it, it's been a while since I've watched it, but I'm reasonably sure it's about exactly the kind of thing you're describing. I'm not entirely sure how easy it still is to find; my DVD of it came out in 2004, but I have no doubt you should be able to find it online somewhere (again, assuming you didn't buy it the day it came out like I did...).

17. Pro Scoundrel

Pro Scoundrel New Films Expert At Modding Casual star 6 Staff Member Manager

Nov 20, 2012
    It's on Blu-Ray now.

18. I Are The Internets

Nov 20, 2012
    Um...er....ahem....I still need to see THX-1138....

Pfluegermeister likes this.
  19. Pro Scoundrel

Nov 20, 2012
    It's good.

Immortiss, Mystery Roach and TX-20 like this.
  20. Mystery Roach

Mar 10, 2004
    It's on the Blu-Ray too. I love that documentary and Empire of Dreams makes a great follow-up to it. Although if you want to follow the progress of American Zoetrope, there are some docs on some Coppola discs that make for interesting viewing too. I particularly enjoy The Dream Studio on the One From the Heart DVD, which details another very interesting and ambitious moment in the history of Zoetrope that also went down in flames, and also pairs really well with A Legacy of Filmmakers for a look at what a mad genius Coppola is.

21. Pfluegermeister

Jun 30, 2003
    WHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAATTTTTT?!?!?! :eek:

...I've never seen American Graffiti...

22. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    I've never been able to get into it. I've either gotten bored and went off to do something else or I fell asleep. Sucks because I want to enjoy it but I just... can't.

23. Pro Scoundrel

Nov 20, 2012
    It's good. :)

Darth Chiznuk likes this.
  24. TX-20

TX-20 Force Ghost star 4

Jun 21, 2013
    Don't forget Ridley Scott. Prometheus looks amazing.

25. Pro Scoundrel

Nov 20, 2012
    It's not a fun film at all, I'll grant you. It's also a bit of a downer as it deals with bleak dehumanization.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.