main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Filming Techniques and Technologies for the ST

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Momotaros, Aug 22, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SgtTimBob

SgtTimBob Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 5, 2014
    Really? Bleurgh. I am all for 3D when it's actually filmed properly, with two cameras on proper 3D rigs. I've only seen a couple of post converted films, one of which was the Titanic reissue, but I remain unconvinced. It just looks terrible next to things that are actually photographed with actual stereoscopy.

Artoo-Dion likes this.
  2. jedijax

jedijax Force Ghost star 6

May 2, 2013
    Does filming in IMAX increase the clarity and quality while viewing the movie in 2D? Because I reserve IMAX for documentaries otherwise I get headaches.

In any case, I want NO:

(1) Shaky cams / Hand held cams
    (2) Lens flares
    (3) sudden close ups, pan back, then close up again

3. Chewbaccon

Chewbaccon Jedi Knight star 1

Mar 9, 2014
    The 2D/3D split is something I have to reconcile for initial viewing of Ep VII. I think upon first viewing I will do 2D as it will be less distracting for me re: the story and the continuity of the saga being 2D means something. Then, for a 2nd viewing "bump" I will see it in 3D. And then, again and again and again and again in whatever formats....LOL

If I were to have one major concern it is not letting ANY technology (camera, film, effect etc) distract from a great story with heartfelt characters and a sense of fun.

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  4. Dewback

Dewback Force Ghost star 4

Jul 18, 1998
    There is some difference, especially with the digital IMAX cameras that JJ is using. As for your list I agree about 1 and 3 but Star Wars has always had some lens flares. I don't mind a few of them.

[​IMG]

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  5. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    Oooh, is that a Digital IMAX camera in the pic or a film IMAX camera? Anybody know? Episode 7 is shot (partially) digital after all! (making it the 5th film because I'm almost certain that while TPM was shot on film some of the pickups, like when lil' Annie goes to see Padme before she goes before the Senate, were digitally shot)

6. SgtTimBob

SgtTimBob Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 5, 2014
    Yeah, I don't mind the occasional incidental or naturally occurring flare. It's when there's so much lens flare that it becomes distracting that I have a problem.

Artoo-Dion , Dewback and Iron_lord like this.
  7. Pro Scoundrel

Pro Scoundrel New Films Expert At Modding Casual star 6 Staff Member Manager

Nov 20, 2012
    For starters, this is now the second time that J.J. Abrams has employed the use of IMAX cameras, having previously done so for 2013's Star Trek Into Darkness. While Star Wars: Episode VII is filming in 2D, it will be converted to 3D in post-production for release next December.

Pajiba has added in a few very interesting details about the camera you see in the image. Sources have told the site that Star Wars is using three of only four 65mm 2D IMAX cameras in the world for their production. The fourth camera is currently being used by Zack Snyder on the set of Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice.

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  8. vinsanity

vinsanity Jedi Master star 4

Jan 28, 2013
    The fact that they're shooting with 3 IMAX cameras, can indicate that this will probably have more IMAX footage than Into Darkness, I'll bet at least 1 hour of film will be shot on IMAX.

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  9. jedijax

jedijax Force Ghost star 6

May 2, 2013
    The difference being that the occasional ones in SW are BEHIND the main subject of the shot, not in front of it. I just want to be able to see the things I am supposed to be able to see without being blinded every 5 seconds.

10. Qui-Riv-Brid

Qui-Riv-Brid Force Ghost star 5

Apr 18, 2013
    TPM looked amazing in 3D far better than many other films but that is hardly surprising because it's not really about the technology but how it's applied.

Andy Wylde likes this.
  11. mratm23

mratm23 Jedi Knight star 3

May 13, 2014
    Ok, calm down. JJ already said no lens flares and admitted to them begin overused in Star Trek. I don't know why people keep complaining about this.

12. vinsanity

vinsanity Jedi Master star 4

Jan 28, 2013
    Indeed, I suggest people to re-watch Star Trek Into Darkness, it has way less lens flares and shaky camera movements than the first Star Trek and Mission Impossible 3.

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  13. EviL_eLF

EviL_eLF Force Ghost star 5

Mar 16, 2003
    JJ is using both 35mm and IMAX format for certain scenes. There is a "chance" there will be post conversion to 3D, but that is not confirmed.

Either way, 3D is once again a dying format that is making less and less for studios... barely reaching the 20% of gross numbers for any film these days, when 5yrs ago 3D available films were taking in 60% of their gross in 3D viewings.

I personally don't expect Star Wars to be available in 3D, but be more like Batman series which stayed in 2D but with certain scenes in the full 70mm IMAX format.

14. Artoo-Dion

Artoo-Dion Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 9, 2009
    I dunno, the Marvel films are still being post-converted, and IIRC Iger even said early on that Ep7 will get a 3D release. The Pajiba article also said it'll be post-converted.

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  15. EviL_eLF

EviL_eLF Force Ghost star 5

Mar 16, 2003
    Meh... post conversion is even more worthless than movies actually filmed in 3D.

16. Artoo-Dion

Jun 9, 2009
    From an artistic POV I agree. I don't bother with 3D when post-conversion is involved. But I'm guessing it's still a profitable process otherwise Marvel wouldn't bother.

17. Pro Scoundrel

Pro Scoundrel New Films Expert At Modding Casual star 6 Staff Member Manager

Nov 20, 2012
    I'm psyched about IMAX as long as it's shown in 2D or both. I've no interest in 3D.

18. thejeditraitor

thejeditraitor Chosen One star 6

Aug 19, 2003
    post conversion is good when it's done right and they spend the necessary time and money.

19. Pfluegermeister

Pfluegermeister Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 30, 2003
    Because it annoyed us that much. That's the only justification we need.

20. Qui-Riv-Brid

Qui-Riv-Brid Force Ghost star 5

Apr 18, 2013
    30 minutes and very technical video interview with Knoll on the TPM 3D

http://www.fxguide.com/fxguidetv/fxguidetv-136-john-knoll-on-stereo/

Andy Wylde and thejeditraitor like this.
  21. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    Since every Marvel movie has been post-converted to 3D, and even if 3D is dying down, Disney wants the few extra shekels they can get outta it so this'll probably, more than likely, be 3D. Which means there probably will not be an IMAX 2D version available. They'll be a regular, non-IMAX 2D version available but I can't think of any movie that had both the 3D IMAX and 2D IMAX options available.

Artoo-Dion likes this.
  22. SimitarLikeTusk

SimitarLikeTusk Jedi Knight star 3

Mar 10, 2014
    Do they really care about the extra shekels with IMAX though? I mean how big a box office percentage is from IMAX anyway?

23. themuzikman

themuzikman Jedi Knight star 2

Dec 20, 2013
    They never released Ep 1 in 3D for DVD/Blu-Ray did they? Does anyone know where to find any 3d footage of it online? I can't find it... Sorry for off-topic

24. Artoo-Dion

Jun 9, 2009
    IIRC it was released with Panasonic 3D Blu-ray players.

25. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    If Disney can make more money off a summer blockbuster with multiple formats and price increases, they care about every extra penny. Them and every other studio. They love to separate us from our money.

Artoo-Dion likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.