main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Filming Techniques and Technologies for the ST

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Momotaros, Aug 22, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. -Jedi Joe-

-Jedi Joe- Jedi Master star 2

May 6, 2013
    I'm just wondering... Has this even been confirmed yet? So many sites are reporting it as fact, but they only have the Boba Fett fan site guy as a source.

2. Momotaros

Momotaros Jedi Master star 4

Aug 13, 2013
  3. Yensid1974

Yensid1974 Jedi Padawan star 1

Mar 13, 2013

Ok, what if we do mark your words and none of it comes about? So when there isn't a plethora of lens flares in Ep7, and no shaky-cam either, what then?

FinleySlade and Count Yubnub like this.
  4. Grimby

Grimby Technical Consultant & Former Head Admin star 7 Staff Member Administrator

Apr 22, 2000
    They look massively different. Completely ignoring the fact that they re-did every VFX shot and added in new content, the color-grading was completely redone. The 2004 DVDs had crushed blacks and super-saturated colors. The blu-rays seem to be a little bit better, but scenes like Dagobah in ESB look and feel entirely different - even cartoon-like - because of the significant changes made to the colors.

5. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    I said much earlier in this thread that I thought lens flares were also possible with digital movies, which I believe has been supported by others in the thread since then. Lens flares occur when light enters a lens in a certain way, so I doubt that the medium the resulting image is recorded to (film or digital media) has much if anything to do with it. Also, there are examples of intentional lens flares (used to good effect IMO) in the existing movies (the Falcon approaching the trench run in ANH and the battle over Coruscant in ROTS were already mentioned, and are great examples). So if lens flares are the main reason for so much negative reaction to this news, I guess I don't get it.

6. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    Trick is, if they shoot some of it in IMAX (which I'm gonna guess is really, really likely) there isn't going to be a 2D-IMAX version of the movie, it'll all be 3D IMAX (or Digital IMAX) so, like Star Trek Into Darkness, there actually isn't a "native" format to see the movie in.

7. Jedirush2112

Jedirush2112 Jedi Master star 4

Apr 10, 2013
    I was actually hoping that it would be shot in Digital since it would meant they might actually meet that May 2015 release date. I don't really see them shooting in 2014 and finishing post production by May of 2015 now. I hope I'm worng!

[face_praying]

Count Yubnub likes this.
  8. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    Conspiracy theory alert. JJ to self: "Hmmmmm... if I shoot on film then I won't have to make that May 2015 release date and we can get December and I can get 2 weeks vacation!" JJ to Kennedy: "Hey, Cath, I think shooting on film would really reproduce the ... uh ...original trilogy's artistic style and my DP really likes it ... uh, mystery box and so forth...:" Kennedy: "Sure, JJ! Have fun!"

9. Jedirush2112

Jedirush2112 Jedi Master star 4

Apr 10, 2013
    JJ: Hell if I play my cards right, I can probably push it back to May of 2016!

[face_thinking]

kainee, BigAl6ft6 and darklordoftech like this.
  10. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    I wonder how GL feels.

11. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    "Hey, Kathy, can you slap me on as an executive producer credit so I can pay for more diapers....? Thanks, doll!" *hangs up phone*

kainee likes this.
  12. Bib Fartuna

Bib Fartuna Jedi Knight star 4

Nov 4, 2012
    This is old-scholastically awesomeness at it's finest. :)

FinleySlade likes this.
  13. dolphin

dolphin Chosen One star 5

Nov 5, 1999
    We are devouring every small morsel of news. I like it! Reminds me of the PT years.

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  14. darklordoftech

Sep 30, 2012
    Zombie would be quite happy.

15. ezekiel22x

ezekiel22x Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2002
    I bet Lucas would rather visit Jackson's Hobbit production over Episode VII.

DarthBrian likes this.
  16. Zuckuss the Ruckuss

Zuckuss the Ruckuss Jedi Master star 4

Jan 5, 2013
    Happy they are going to 35mm. But, Dan Mindel is kind of a hack as a DP. The Star Trek movies looked ok, but Mindel loves to oversaturate his lighting. He also uses a lot of awkward hues for his ambient illumination. Some times his stuff comes off a bit plastic as well...

Very generic DP. His best work is probably John Carter...

DarthBrian likes this.
  17. Immortiss

Immortiss Force Ghost star 5

Mar 10, 2013
    To add, I was listening to Lucas commentary on ROTS and he did do shaky camera when a Galactic Cruiser took off from Coruscant.

Andy Wylde likes this.
  18. Spork111

Spork111 Jedi Master star 2

Jun 19, 2002
    I'm a big fan of 35mm and it was one (albeit minor) thing I thought JJ would bring with him to Star Wars. I hope it also means that JJ is looking to the look and feel of the original trilogy for inspiration on Episode VII. I'm not too worried about lens flares - I think that was a very deliberate stylistic choice for Star Trek, and if there's one thing I've heard JJ say a lot about Trek and Wars it's that they're very different stylistically. Still, I hope we don't get a lot of the hyper-closeup shaky cam stuff that's all the rage these days - Star Wars was always shot in a fairly traditional and stately way, and I hope that continues.

kainee and FinleySlade like this.
  19. TheBBP

TheBBP Force Ghost star 6

Nov 6, 2012
    I love the idea of 35mm and how they say that it is better for shooting models and sets. Star Wars needs to get back to models and sets rather than a constructed floor and green screen.

Immortiss and FinleySlade like this.
  20. Garth Maul

Garth Maul Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 18, 2002
    well this is good news.

FinleySlade likes this.
  21. FRAGWAGON

FRAGWAGON Jedi Master star 4

Nov 3, 2012
    Is this sarcasm? Each individual PT movie had more models, sets, locations, and practical effects than the entire Original Trilogy....

22. darklordoftech

Sep 30, 2012
    More likely a misconception. Many are not aware of the facts you mentioned.

Andy Wylde and TheBBP like this.
  23. TheBBP

Nov 6, 2012
    I reject your reality and substitute my own. Especially when you wear that hat. I cannot take you seriously.

24. FRAGWAGON

FRAGWAGON Jedi Master star 4

Nov 3, 2012
    =D=
    Fair enough.
    [face_cowboy]

25. TheBBP

Nov 6, 2012
    Just don't tell my wife that I was wrong.

I am on a roll over here.

Immortiss, FinleySlade and FRAGWAGON like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.