main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Filming Techniques and Technologies for the ST

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Momotaros, Aug 22, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Satipo

Satipo Force Ghost star 7

Mar 29, 2014
    I guess it depends what side of the wall they're on?

Could be a ruined base. Could be the wall out to the jungle/ forest?

2. Rookhelm

Rookhelm Jedi Master star 4

Sep 22, 2014

haha, hadn't thought of that. For some reason I assumed the stormtrooper was on the outside. But if it's an Imperial camp, it would make sense for him to be on the inside perhaps.

Satipo likes this.
  3. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    He did have those people. That was the best they could do.

Right, because his friends told him to change it and he did. The ones who were directors with far better talent than him.

Why is it wrong for Obi-wan to call Anakin very young? And how is, "This is a battle I do not think we can win" clunky?

How is Anakin stalkerish?

Except for Harrison Ford and Alec Guinness.

No, but it's far more traumatic when you're young like that, over being eighteen. But in terms of hamstringing, it only does in that Anakin and Obi-wan don't have much interaction with each other in TPM, but it works in presenting them as a father and son type of relationship in AOTC. The parent who struggles with his son. Being brothers in ROTS shows that they've grown and changed from then. As to Anakin and Padme, it establishes that they're friends first and then feeds into his obsessive nature later on.

Luke was whiny as well. Obsession is key to Anakin's turn. And petulance, uh, he's Darth Vader. Vader turned because he was petulant. That was in place before Lucas had Anakin and Vader as the same person. Even Luke was a bit petulant in TESB.

Andy Wylde, ezekiel22x and FRAGWAGON like this.
  4. kwisatzh

kwisatzh Jedi Master star 4

Sep 30, 2014
    real set with bluescreen.. practical CGI? [face_blush]

5. Satipo

Mar 29, 2014
    I disagree completely, but fair enough DS, we all have different takes on these things :)

6. vinsanity

vinsanity Jedi Master star 4

Jan 28, 2013
    Those set photos of the destroyed place looked grand and awesome.

Found this video of Kevin Smith interview about his EPVII set visit, he says 99% the same stuff he said before but he provided more info of how they retrofitted the Millennium Falcon, love this small attentions to detail. (starts at 15:30)

7. Saurion-Fett

Saurion-Fett Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 3, 2001
    I was on the set of Lord of the rings in NZ when they filmed helms deep scene. I thought it was going to look like a high school play with how the set looked ....but OMG when the worked their magic totally different environment all together.

These seem very similar to how the set looked

TK327 and Satipo like this.
  8. vinsanity

Jan 28, 2013
    Pro Scoundrel , TK327 and Satipo like this.
  9. Satipo

Mar 29, 2014
    I like the sound of that. I'm totally down with all CG characters too. Anything they can do to blur the lines and look great in the service of a great story.

Dra--- likes this.
  10. Bennihana

Bennihana Jedi Knight star 3

Jan 22, 2014
    TK327 likes this.
  11. Satipo

Mar 29, 2014
    Thanks Benni, although the exact same link is posted two posts above :)

12. Rookhelm

Sep 22, 2014

That's super impressive. It would be amazing if ep 7 could help pioneer and popularize more SFX techniques.

13. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    Pro Scoundrel likes this.
  14. Satipo

Mar 29, 2014
    I didn't realize you could watch clips of the tech. Very cool indeed.

15. Rookhelm

Sep 22, 2014
    Animitronics are awesome, but do you think JJ will get any stop-motion in there anywhere? Even just one little clip or something (like the chess board) as an homage?

I'd be interested to see what modern day stop motion would look like. You could even make it computer assisted or something...get a program to show you what each frame should look like, then you manipulate it manually.

16. JediKnightWax

JediKnightWax Jedi Master star 4

May 21, 2014
    It's a combination of both old and new. Pure innovation! Very awesome!

Has this technique been done before in film?

17. Bennihana

Bennihana Jedi Knight star 3

Jan 22, 2014

[face_plain] For some reason I thought that was talking about the rumor of Phil Tippet doing stop motion animation for the Falcon's chessboard, so I didn't bother to click. I've learned my lesson.

18. GunganSlayer

GunganSlayer Jedi Master star 4

Jan 24, 2013
    Check out this cool behind-the-scenes look at this year's "Automata," and pay particular close attention to the way the film's robots are brought to life. It's really cool, and probably one of the more awesome sci-fi looking films in quite sometime--and all done with a very small budget. The story isn't the most original, but I still enjoyed it. The production design, art, and sfx crews did a wonderful job on this movie.

TK327, FRAGWAGON and vinsanity like this.
  19. Satipo

Mar 29, 2014

I thought a parody post about the Chewie/ Squirrel/ Nazis pic was a spoiler post this AM so we've all been there!

20. vinsanity

Jan 28, 2013
    I remember seeing the trailer and thinking how great those practical robot's movements were. Another great blend of using technology to push the practical elements.

21. FRAGWAGON

FRAGWAGON Jedi Master star 4

Nov 3, 2012
    Automata looks amazing. Very Chiang in design (looking for a pipe-smoking robot a la Robota).

Wasn't this the same tech in TPM for the pre-armor Threepio?

Andy Wylde likes this.
  22. Rookhelm

Sep 22, 2014

Yeah, pretty much...a puppeteer stood behind the threepio robot and controlled him, and was painted out.

FRAGWAGON and Satipo like this.
  23. Qui-Riv-Brid

Qui-Riv-Brid Force Ghost star 5

Apr 18, 2013
    Yes, just what the prequels did.

Gotta laugh at that comment:

I'm all for anything you can do to make a film look more real!

ROFL!!!

It isn't real though. That is the point. It's all fake. Why is that so difficult to understand? They are not really in space, C3PO is not real. It's a man in a suit. That is a puppet. That is CG. That is etc etc etc.

The Rancor is not real. It was not on set with Mark Hamill anymore than the Reek, Nexu or Acklay were. The ships don't fly, they can't hear the music or sound effects.

You really need to look up meanings of words before using them.

In Internet slang, a troll is a person who sows discord on the Internet by starting arguments or upsetting people, by posting inflammatory, extraneous, or off-topic messages in an online community (such as a newsgroup, forum, chat room, or blog) with the deliberate intent of provoking readers into an emotional response or of otherwise disrupting normal on-topic discussion.

Your inability to debate is rather obvious as is your very see through tactic of misusing terms and not admitting in the face stated points that there might be something to it all. The whole practical through analog and digital is a case in point.

Real debate is not boring but enlightening. As ever I saw to anyone read the making of books of all the movies, watch the documentaries, listen to the commentaries. There are many books out there that go over the making of not only these films but films of their eras.

I love all the Star Wars films. You don't. That's too bad for you.

I think a lot of it really comes so much from the realization that it's not anyone's story but Lucas'. To them the OT is perfection or close to it so the changes of first the SE's then the story changes the prequels had "hurt" that perfection. Then add in the non-release of the OT in it's "perfect" original form.

That perfection also pertains to the way they were made which was "real" so the "All-CG" prequels were "fake."

This is of course nonsense as if anyone would actually look at the way the prequels were made they would find out the reality of production. This is of course ignored by those people because it makes their theories about the "problems" with the prequels unravel.

It doesn't matter of course because they want to deny the reality of the success of the movies and the new generations of fans they created. Just because they don't interact with them they must not exist.

Andy Wylde likes this.
  24. Satipo

Mar 29, 2014
    Wait, movies are fake?

25. vinsanity

Jan 28, 2013
    [​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.