main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Final Cut - Sound levels

Discussion in 'Fan Films, Fan Audio & SciFi 3D' started by WolverineOfTheORS, Oct 30, 2011.

1. WolverineOfTheORS

WolverineOfTheORS Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 11, 2006
    What are the best sound levels to work to in Final Cut?

I've heard to aim for -12. So I did myself a test project and aimed for -12. Dialogue sounded quite all right on computer but soon as I tested on DVD, the dialogue was very low at quite a respectable volume level.

So what is the best sound level to aim for? Is it simply a case of 'what sounds acceptable' or is there a universal rule that I am not aware of?

2. ObiJuan2080

ObiJuan2080 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 31, 2004
    For playback on a TV I usually bring the audio up to -6. Sometimes between -6 and 0 if the mic on the cam was too low. -6 for the most part.

3. WolverineOfTheORS

Nov 11, 2006
    Yeah that makes sense.

Sometimes you just need confirmation from an external source that has tried and tested another method. Will aim for -6 from now on.

4. Zurita-Films

Zurita-Films Jedi Knight star 3

Aug 26, 2006
    I work in television, and the best audio I've heard is always between -12 and -6. Sounds best on the widest range of tvs.

5. WolverineOfTheORS

Nov 11, 2006
    Thanks. It seems -6 is a good level to aim for. I tried -12 and it was quite low on my television, so I think pumping it up to -6 will fix the problem.